• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

General Store at SSR

LuvMy3Monkeys

Mouseketeer
I was told by a CM that the store at SSR is more like a convenience store than a little section of the gift shop like at the allstars. Is this true?

What can I expect to find there? Would I be able to get some basics, like bread, milk, cheese, etc?

I'm trying to decide if I really want to do a garden grocer order if it's only going to be 5-10 items. May be just worth it to buy at the resort?

Any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with All Stars store, but I agree with your strategy. The store carries all the basics at somewhat higher prices but not outrageous. Sort of like a 7 Eleven.

I have never been to all stars, but SSR does have grocery basics. The "grocery store" is in the QS area which is attached to the gift store.

Yes, SSR offers the basics. I will tell you that for the last couple of years we have used Garden Grocer and after our last trip to Kidani (just two weeks ago) we have decided to just get our food from the store on site from now on. When we were at Kidani we were pricing the items and comparing them to Garden Grocer's prices. A very nice CM saw us doing this and printed out the FULL grocery offering you can get at the resort and all of the prices. When I got home I started doing my homework. Almost everything was the exact same price or $1 or so more. The item with the biggest markup was a box of cereal.....$7 compared to $4. With all of the tipping and delivery charges, it just makes sense (for us at least) to buy what we need as we need it. We always seem to not use everything we order from Garden Grocer and that is a waste as well.

When you check out the refrigerated section, they have some nice little desserts (like chocolate cake) in single servings that you can bring back to your villa.

I was told by a CM that the store at SSR is more like a convenience store than a little section of the gift shop like at the allstars. Is this true?

What can I expect to find there? Would I be able to get some basics, like bread, milk, cheese, etc?

I'm trying to decide if I really want to do a garden grocer order if it's only going to be 5-10 items. May be just worth it to buy at the resort?

Any thoughts?

Why not just stop @ Publix or Winn Dixie b4 arriving @ SSR?? You save lot's of $$ and get exactly what you want. We get veggies, snacks,adult beverages for a fraction of the cost of on site prices!:banana:

Why not just stop @ Publix or Winn Dixie b4 arriving @ SSR?? You save lot's of $$ and get exactly what you want. We get veggies, snacks,adult beverages for a fraction of the cost of on site prices!:banana:

Grocery delivery and shopping at the resort store are great alternatives when you don't have a car. Good to hear that there is a decent selection to choose from. I've noticed the DVC locations have a few more choices compared to other resorts.

If there is something that SSR does not have you can go to the Hess gas station by DTD. We do this every trip. We take a duffle bag and ride over to DTD and get off at the 2nd stop and Hess is across the street. They have better prices on water/pop/ laundry soap.

They make great hot pizza. So we usually first buy a slice of pizza and a soda. Which saves us a lot of $$ compared to the same meal at Disney. Then go outside to eat it then go back in to pick up our supplies. Then walk back to the DTD bus stop and ride back to SSR.

I did a garden grocer order for our stay at SSR and I could have gotten everything at the Artists Palate. And I'd have saved the $12 delivery charge, the $5 tip I added, and the $2-3 tip I gave bell services when they brought the order to my room.

Apparently, you can also call the resort and have Artists Palate do a grocery order for you. When I first called bll services for our GG order, that's what they thought I had done. I saw a list on the DVC boards. Worth checking out if the prices are comparable and you're just getting a few basics.

We didn't have a car, so convience was key for us. I wasn't going to waste any vacation time on grocery shopping. I know others disagree, but that's my opinion.

Have fun at SSR!

We will be arriving at MCO and taking ME to the resort. We won't have a car to drive anywhere. I am packing a box of non-perishables and mailing it down, but just wanted to get some things like milk for the kids, maybe some bread, butter, cheese, etc. Definitely not enough to be worth the money to rent a car or place a grocery order, and we don't drink, so we wouldn't need to worry about buying adult beverages. I think we'd be better off buying at the resort, and I just wanted to know what is available there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter