General Question about Housekeeping Expectations

Anonomom

DIS Veteran
I've been musing on this one since we were at POR two weeks ago, and I'm curious -- what are your expectations for the overall cleanliness of a hotel room, at Disney or elsewhere?

When I'm at home, I'm not exactly Mrs. Clean. My baseboards are often dusty and I never did get in the habit of making my bed daily. So when I'm at a hotel, I'm not looking for total spotlessness. Clean sheets, clean carpet, fresh towels and empty trash are really what I expect.

And yet...when we were at POR, I couldn't help but notice the baseboards. And the corners. They were kind of grimy. The bed rails provided for my DD were quite badly stained (just gray dirt, obviously because of age and use, not something disgusting). And one morning I noticed a dead spider in the closet, and it was still there when we returned to the room (I cleaned it up myself).

None of these things would bother me much in my own home, and none of them detracted from my overall satisfaction with the resort and our housekeeper. But for some reason, my mind keeps returning to them and it's partially why I've avoided posting a real review of POR yet (I feel it's worth mentioning, I guess, but not worth making a big deal of) Am I just too picky, or would these things linger in your mind, too?

Okay, my feeling is people expect so much more out of a hotel than they do themselves because they think they need to get their "money's worth". I'm happy as long as the room is not dusty and the bed linens and bathroom have been cleaned. Beyond that, a dead spider isn't a sign of bad housekeeping, nor are dusty baseboards. Most people would have a fit if their family held them to the standards they hold a hotel to.

I've been musing on this one since we were at POR two weeks ago, and I'm curious -- what are your expectations for the overall cleanliness of a hotel room, at Disney or elsewhere?

When I'm at home, I'm not exactly Mrs. Clean. My baseboards are often dusty and I never did get in the habit of making my bed daily. So when I'm at a hotel, I'm not looking for total spotlessness. Clean sheets, clean carpet, fresh towels and empty trash are really what I expect.

And yet...when we were at POR, I couldn't help but notice the baseboards. And the corners. They were kind of grimy. The bed rails provided for my DD were quite badly stained (just gray dirt, obviously because of age and use, not something disgusting). And one morning I noticed a dead spider in the closet, and it was still there when we returned to the room (I cleaned it up myself).
None of these things would bother me much in my own home, and none of them detracted from my overall satisfaction with the resort and our housekeeper. But for some reason, my mind keeps returning to them and it's partially why I've avoided posting a real review of POR yet (I feel it's worth mentioning, I guess, but not worth making a big deal of) Am I just too picky, or would these things linger in your mind, too?

Not picky at all! We've gone to disney every year since '93 (except for '98 and '05) and things sure have changed. It definitely isn't the Disney of yesteryear. I'm new to these threads, but I've read many posts about the poor conditions of the rooms. No matter how anyone responds, you are not alone in holding Disney to higher standards.

We're not overly fussy at all. I keep a clean house, but I don't dust the baseboards every week or clean the windows every week. I also don't change my bedding every day or my towels--once a week. From a hotel/resort I expect a made bed, vaccumed rug if there are crumbs, garbage thrown out, bathroom presentable...and I hang my towels on the rack and don't require that they be changed every day. I don't do it at home...why would I do it at a hotel/resort?

We're not overly fussy at all. I keep a clean house, but I don't dust the baseboards every week or clean the windows every week. I also don't change my bedding every day or my towels--once a week. From a hotel/resort I expect a made bed, vaccumed rug if there are crumbs, garbage thrown out, bathroom presentable...and I hang my towels on the rack and don't require that they be changed every day. I don't do it at home...why would I do it at a hotel/resort?

Sounds like me -- I have pretty simple expectations and on all my trips to Disney (about 8-10 on-site), they've always been met.

I think most people have a problem because hotel room dirt is "other people's dirt" and, hence, other people's germs. I don't clean my bathroom everyday. But when I check into a hotel I expect to find a spotless bathroom. I want the glasses to be wrapped (or brand new plactic ones) so I can be sure they haven't been used be someone else previously. I don't care if they change the sheets every night of my visit, but I expect clean sheets on all the beds when I arrive. Even if it looks like the previous guest didn't used all of the beds, they should be changed. You never know if someone climbed into a bed and then remade it later.

My point is that I don't do certain things in my house all the time either. But with so many people using hotel rooms, I do expect to find them very, very clean when I first arrive.

I don't think I am very fussy. I just want clean towels when needed, the bed made, and the trash cans emptied. And tp, kleenex, and other supplies replenished as needed.

What I don't expect is for housekeeping to stage an re-enactment of the Lousiana Purchase with towel animals.

Or to rearrange my personal belongings. I don't want them touching my stuff.

Or to vaccume every day. I don't at home, I don't need it done while I am at Disney either.

I don't know, I must be really easy to please, but I have made 9 trips to Disney and never had what I would call horrible housekeeping. I can remember checking in one time and finding the rug in my room to be a little dusty, but it was taken care of the next day. That is the extent of my problems with housekeeping.

We've frequently stayed at POR, and are going next week too for a bounceback deal. We've had great fun there. We just are not in the rooms that much so my general expectations are low. I am exhausted by the end of the day at the parks and just want a quiet night, a bed that's made up, and fresh towels...trash taken away would be good too. The toilets and A/C can be noisy there, but it all turns into white noise for me after a while. Bugs, although I can't stand them, are a part of Florida life and exist even in the best-kept places. My parents live in one of those gated communities in Florida in a huge home and bugs and critters exist there too (shocking, I know...). My mom used to freak out if a gecko got in her house, would slap them with a broom, and flush them down the toilet. Then someone told her if she flushed it down her toilet, it'd come back as an alligator. This freaked her out more. :rotfl:

All of the peeking behind the headboards, toilets, and under the beds at a hotel that I sometimes read about creeps me out anyway, so I don't do it. And I don't flush bugs either, based on the above folklore. Never know what they could come back as while you are sleeping.

What I don't expect is for housekeeping to stage an re-enactment of the Lousiana Purchase with towel animals.
:lmao: :lmao:

The Louisiana Purchase? Choosing that as your example makes it even funnier! Just envisioning Jefferson and Napoleon (or whoever signed it!) as towel animals signing the treaty!! :rotfl2:

:lmao: :lmao:

The Louisiana Purchase? Choosing that as your example makes it even funnier! Just envisioning Jefferson and Napoleon (or whoever signed it!) as towel animals signing the treaty!! :rotfl2:

I was thinking the exact same thing!!:rotfl2:

I expect:
- Bed made up
- Fresh towels (if I leave them on the floor/in the tub to have them changed out)
- Trash emptied if it is over half full
- Overall neatness (No mildew in the shower for example)

I do not expect:
- Clean sheets everyday (only between occupants)
- My stuff picked up and put away (that's for me to do)
- Towel animals, people, buildings, or cakes (it's cute, but I won't cry if I don't get one)

I'm honestly not that picky.

My mom used to freak out if a gecko got in her house, would slap them with a broom, and flush them down the toilet. Then someone told her if she flushed it down her toilet, it'd come back as an alligator. This freaked her out more. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

We don't have very high expectations either but I do agree with having everything fresh when I first check into the room. New towels, sheets, etc.

After that, I really don't care. The one thing that I must have is for the trash to be taken out if it's overflowing. I do make my bed at home every day and that is nice, I must admit. Oh - and toilet paper is a must!

I do have to envision some people going through their room looking like a CSI investigator with the small flashlights and looking for any signs of dust, dirt, or mold. For the average person (no allergies), that stuff is going to be there anywhere they lay their head.

From a hotel/resort I expect a made bed, vaccumed rug if there are crumbs, garbage thrown out, bathroom presentable...and I hang my towels on the rack and don't require that they be changed every day. I don't do it at home...why would I do it at a hotel/resort?

I'm with you on this one. But I don't want/expect them to come in and make the bed or vacuum everyday either. My big thing is the garbage. If it's full, then please empty it!

Thanks for the laugh maxiesmom! :lmao:

Not very high expectations on my part either.
I want a clean tub, toilet, floor in that area. I want a clean vanity area. I don't want to see cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. I want my bed made up, I want fresh towels if I have left mine in the tub, or on the floor. I want toiletries replenished as needed. Wrapped plastic cups, trash emptied.
If I get towel animals, fine. But, it's fine if we don't..not a big deal either way.
But, if the other stuff is lacking but I have towel animals...nope, not buying that. TA's are fine if everything else is attended to. I do have to say that the housekeeping I have had on my last two stays at POP has been extraordinary...two weeks ago and then in mid-Jan. I can't say enough about the housekeepers I had those two stays.
One of the things I love about owning DVC is that I don't have to worry about someone being in my room each day. If I don't need fresh towels, I will sometimes just leave that do not disturb thing hanging out.

Deffinately not over picky here either. Although if it just does'nt look and smell clean....then I do have a problem. We have only encountered that once and that was at the BC. Hair all over the bathroom, smelled musty, and just looked like they threw the place together to get us in. And I deffinately agree with the garbage too....we try to put it all in one place so it's easier for them. Other then that a quick freshen up every day with clean towels is all I expect once we're checked in.

on a scale of 1-10, 10 being tops, we give WDW housekeeping a 9+. Always far and above of what we expect and Johnny on the spot is we encountered a problem during our stay. We don't ask for anything more than we do or have at home. Vacuum occasionally, clean towels, bathroom and sink area clean and amenities replaced, thats it. change the sheets once or twice in our 9-12 night stays is fine by me. Just doing the job you're paid for is enough, skip the stuffed animal arrangements and towel animals, they just get tossed around and set in the corner but crumbs on the floor and soap and shampoo replaced, a must. We also ask for the earliest cleaning, first thing in the am, we'll be gone or will leave when they knock, we head to the pool and relax while it's being done, we're not messy people, just the wife and I but we like our beds made and come back and flop the comforter back and we're good to go, make coming back from a park in the afternoon tired and sweaty to an already done room, sheer pleasure. That's all we ask and expect, maybe a glitch now and then but nothing unsurmountable, say a missed ice bucket plastic bag, soap etc, we catch any housekeeper in the hall and they give anything you need or want with a smile, my way of doing business.

I expect:
- Bed made up
- Fresh towels (if I leave them on the floor/in the tub to have them changed out)
- Trash emptied if it is over half full
- Overall neatness (No mildew in the shower for example)

I do not expect:
- Clean sheets everyday (only between occupants)
- My stuff picked up and put away (that's for me to do)
- Towel animals, people, buildings, or cakes (it's cute, but I won't cry if I don't get one)

I'm honestly not that picky.

I agree with this post except I do like fresh sheets everday if possible. While I only change them once a week at my house I love the feeling of laying on fresh sheets. I do request them if I think about but don't go into a tizzy if I don't get them every day. The Poly changed our sheets every 3 days on their own so that was fine with me.

As far as dusty molding I doubt mousekeepers have time to do that on daily basis. They have so many rooms that have to be done in a hour. I imagine that gets taken care of every couple of months. I do want my bathroom very clean upon check in. That is one place where I don't want someone else's dirt.

I never expect them to pick up my things that I have left on the floor whether is it souveniers, toys, or anything else. I'm a big girl and can do that myself.

My expectations are pretty much along the lines of everyone else, clean towels, made bed, bathroom picked up, trash taken out. We usually rent a villa through Disney so we actually even get the dishes loaded into the dishwasher and the dishwasher run every day. I read on here a few days ago one poster was upset because housekeeping didn't pick-up her granddaughers toy that were on the balcony and thrown around the room. I would never expect housekeeping to do that, not their job to pick up toys there are left all over the place.

Thanks to all of your for your thoughts. Reading your replies, I think I finally put my finger on why, two weeks after an otherwise great visit, I'm fixating on the only negative aspect of our stay.

But before I get there, I should reiterate that all I really expect on a daily basis is that the beds be neat, trash emptied, towels straightened or replaced, etc. Our housekeeper did a great job of that, and also found the time to leave us flocks of towel animals, to boot. I was pleased enough that we tipped her every day, I thanked her in person, and my overall impression of housekeeping in general was positive.

But (sorry, there's always a but), here's what I realized bothered me. I, as I mentioned before, am not a neat freak. I definitely wasn't peeking behind toilets and furniture. And even I noticed that the moldings were grimy; dirty enough that if I were at home, I'd have groaned and pulled out a Swiffer. And what bothers me about that is the feeling that our room hadn't actually been cleaned in a long time. Straightened/tidied, yes. But not cleaned. And I think that's the feeling that's creeping me out a bit now.

Again, I don't think this is or should be a big issue. But it is adding a tiny bit of black into my otherwise sunny memories of our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter