Gaylord National, MD - restaurants??

I grew up near National Harbor. My brother still lives in the old neighborhood and owns his own business not too far from National Harbor. You are safe at National Harbor. It is a bit removed from the local community and it has on-site security.
You will have to drive to any restaurants not within National Harbor. I would not recommend that area of PG County. My brother had his car jacked from a gas station. A friend was robbed leaving the bar he owned. (Last laugh was on him - he gave the robbers the brown bag with his uneaten lunch in it instead of the one with the night's deposit.)

If you leave National Harbor, I strongly recommend you cross the Potomac and go into Virginia. Old Town Alexandria is a great suggestion. It is pedestrian friendly and has numerous bars, restaurants & shops within a few blocks.

Booked 2 nights at the Gaylord for the ICE show --- any suggestions for restaurants in Alexandria area.

Anyone staying at the Gaylord, do they have a space to bring in food, ex/breakfast foods, etc... Trying to save on costs for meals, we don't mind bringing in food to eat..

Thanks!

Anyone see coupons yet for the ICE Shrek show??

Rooms have a microwave?

Trying to plan reasonable restaurant ideas.

I stayed at the Gaylord this August. Coffee in the Hotel was pricey (4.00), but there is a grocery store (Potomac Gourmet Market) not far with pastries and coffee much more reasonable. There is a coffeemaker in the room. I thought the area was very quaint. I ate at Ketchup, Cadillac Grill, and Rosa Mexicano. I did some great shopping, and felt very safe walking around both early morning and later in the evening.

Have you looked at nationalharbor.com for more ideas?

I bought breakfast items at the Potomac Gourmet Market (great wine and beer selection). CVS also has half and half milk and some groceries. The hotel is beautiful.

I stayed at the Gaylord this August. Coffee in the Hotel was pricey (4.00), but there is a grocery store (Potomac Gourmet Market) not far with pastries and coffee much more reasonable. There is a coffeemaker in the room. I thought the area was very quaint. I ate at Ketchup, Cadillac Grill, and Rosa Mexicano. I did some great shopping, and felt very safe walking around both early morning and later in the evening.

Have you looked at nationalharbor.com for more ideas?

I bought breakfast items at the Potomac Gourmet Market (great wine and beer selection). CVS also has half and half milk and some groceries. The hotel is beautiful.

Coffee maker in room then I'm bringing my DnD coffee! LOL :)

I heard Ketchup is a good meal, what did you think?

What's Cadillac Grill ... Rosa Mexicano won't work for us -- 3 of us don't eat Mexican or any type of Spanish cuisine, my husband would though...

I will look at nationalharbor.com :) thanks!

CVS within walking distance, rather just park and walk if you know what I mean, as long as I'm paying $25.00 per night to park :)
popcorn::

Coffee maker in room then I'm bringing my DnD coffee! LOL :)

I heard Ketchup is a good meal, what did you think?

What's Cadillac Grill ... Rosa Mexicano won't work for us -- 3 of us don't eat Mexican or any type of Spanish cuisine, my husband would though...

I will look at nationalharbor.com :) thanks!

CVS within walking distance, rather just park and walk if you know what I mean, as long as I'm paying $25.00 per night to park :)
popcorn::

My friend recently ate at Cadillac Grill. She wasn't overly impressed. I don't know what type of food it is--I'm sure their website will tell you all you need to know.

I saw on another thread that you are a "pizza and burgers" family. There is an Elevation Burger place there. I've heard good things about the place (it is a chain) but have yet to visit one.

Old Town Alexandria is nice and quaint and a good place to visit. There's lots of little non-chain restaurants there that I haven't been to in years so I won't /can't comment on them but maybe not worth worrying about since you aren't into the frou-frou stuff--although there is plenty of casual dining there. It's still worth a trip to walk around.

Ketchup was a very fun place to eat, food was good, little pricey but yes National Harbor is very touristy, so it is to be expected. We went to Old Town Alexandria, and they have a Bertucci's there, very good food and you can call and pick up too! They do have a small grocery store, again abit pricey but we found food staples right at CVS. I hope you enjoy your stay there!

Okay --- dilemma time! :)

Need some more suggestions pretty please! :)

I booked 12/24 thru 12/26 at the Gaylord National... 2nights to see Shrek and the ICE Show..

Now my husband tells me he'd rather leave on 12/23, as driving on Christmas Eve might be a nightmare...

So, I checked with reservations and the extra night would be 161.00 plus taxes plus the resort fee, plus parking.. being a huge amount of money just to avoid the traffic. I have the reservation for $99.00 per night x2, plus resort fee of $15.00 x2 and then parking $26.00 x2...to add another $220.00 at least for that extra night is erking me :lmao:
With that said, my husband suggested that we spend a night in VA and then move the next day, another hassle if you ask me!

I'd rather stay in one place and not unpack to just pack again :)

So.. Should I bite the bullet and stay Gaylord or maybe find something in Alexandria... then head over to the Gaylord on Christmas Day to see the ICE show and Shrek ...

What do you think?
I need to make a decision pretty quick so I know what I'm doing ;))

Suggestions?

Okay --- dilemma time! :)

Need some more suggestions pretty please! :)

I booked 12/24 thru 12/26 at the Gaylord National... 2nights to see Shrek and the ICE Show..

Now my husband tells me he'd rather leave on 12/23, as driving on Christmas Eve might be a nightmare...

So, I checked with reservations and the extra night would be 161.00 plus taxes plus the resort fee, plus parking.. being a huge amount of money just to avoid the traffic. I have the reservation for $99.00 per night x2, plus resort fee of $15.00 x2 and then parking $26.00 x2...to add another $220.00 at least for that extra night is erking me :lmao:
With that said, my husband suggested that we spend a night in VA and then move the next day, another hassle if you ask me!

I'd rather stay in one place and not unpack to just pack again :)

So.. Should I bite the bullet and stay Gaylord or maybe find something in Alexandria... then head over to the Gaylord on Christmas Day to see the ICE show and Shrek ...

What do you think?
I need to make a decision pretty quick so I know what I'm doing ;))

Suggestions?

Unless you are on a stringent budget, I'd probably just pay the extra at the Gaylord. If you are thinking you'd get a room in Old Town Alexandria for a lot cheaper than that, you'd probably be wrong (unless you could find some special). You might not enjoy the parts of Alexandria that have "cheap" hotel rates.

That said, you might find a decent hotel right in Washington DC and that might be cool for a night. I've heard that between Christmas and New Years there are quite the great rates for hotels (Congress, staffers go home and there's no business going on in Washington). You might try to Priceline something for the night.

Thanks...

I was trying to stay within that price range because it was a GREAT rate..

Maybe we can stay elsewhere on the way from New York for 1 night.. Maybe I should look into that..

We actually wanted to see VA Beach lights, but that's too far.. Even Williamsburg, too far.

Coming from New York, Long Island, maybe I can find something within an hour or so from Gaylord and then just drive that on the 24th....

Good?

I found a special for 109.00 at SpringHill Suites in Old Town Alexandria.

I will take your advice and look for Washington for one night.

;)
Wish me luck!

That's not a bad rate for Old Town. I'm not sure what the place is like but it's probably fine.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Washington and I can research it...

Or is anything in DC nice?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter