Gay Week (5-26 thru 6-3) For Straight Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunatly there are a lot of people that feel the way the OP feels. Yes I am straight, but I like to say I am straight but not narrow. I, as a Coaster Enthusiast (if we are all going to group ourselves I might as well!) have many friends that are gay, I have no problem with it, and I usually don't even think about it.

However, I have to disagree with the replies to the original poster. It gains you no ground by attacking the person who makes those comments. Yes, the comments are extremely tactless, and truthfully hurtful, but I highly doubt the original poster had that intention. Some might call me naive (in fact I think someone has on this board...) and it's probably true to a certain extent, but I would like to believe that most people are good decent people deep down inside.

To the original poster, I have never been to Disney during gay days, but as I mentioned I am a member of ACE, a group that is composed somewhat significantly of gay individuals. I come from a very religious, catholic, and to some extent bigoted background, I outgrew that last one pretty quickly. People are people, you have to accept them as that, and leave it at that. If you are christian, realize it is your responsibility to love and respect EVERYONE, not just those of the persuasion you agree with. No one is going to be making out in the streets, I can assure you of that, as I have never seen that at Disney in the first place, gay or straight!

I am willing to bet if you don't go looking out for the supposed "bad guys" you probably won't even realize they are there. Hope you have a good time!

Jennifer

Tompker, Sorry your getting flamed so much. I myself am planning on always staying away that week in order to avoid that group. I am thankful that I live in a town that still supports traditional values. You guys know what I mean. As far as I know this group has a designated day on which park to be at on each day. I beleive that you can either go to the gay days website (not sure what the URL is) or check out the Unofficial Guides best days calendar.

Tompker, Sorry your getting flamed so much. I myself am planning on always staying away that week in order to avoid that group. I am thankful that I live in a town that still supports traditional values. You guys know what I mean. As far as I know this group has a designated day on which park to be at on each day. I beleive that you can either go to the gay days website (not sure what the URL is) or check out the Unofficial Guides best days calendar.

I would be afraid to even check out info like that.:lmao: It may rub off on you:scared1:

What is "that group"?:confused3

You know there are plenty of gays living in your town, too, right? :rolleyes:

To the OP...you won't notice any difference between GayDays and regular days at the parks. If so, use it as a tool to teach diversity and acceptance.

WOW! I'm amazed I got so many responses in such short time.
MRZRICH - First you need to know that I am not against gay people. :hug:
You shouldnt cut me slack for being a newbie, my opinion is still the same whether I make 6,969 posts or only one, and by the way my friend of 35 years is gay as well as 2 of my uncles and my 19 year old niece. so I am completely aware that gay people are all around me, I'm curious if you have children? As a parent it is difficult to explain sex,drugs,death and 2 million other crazy things that are part of an adults life to a 3 and a 5 year old, it is even more difficult to explain to them why 2 guys have there tongues down each others throat. with this being said; I have been to Disney 17 times and constantly see a man a women holding hands smiling enjoying each others company. I think it is wonderful. I have also seen gay women and gay men holding hands and think that to is also wonderful. Nothing is stronger than Love if 2 men or 2 women are in love than god bless them but dont be over affectionate because they feel they need to prove a point.

There may be Gay people in Canada, not sure if Canada is aware of this yet.:confused3

You can always escape to lovely Attleboro-the straight shooting capital of the world.:rolleyes1

My mother actually lives in Attleboro ironically and one news story that was talked about quite often after Hurricane Katrina was about an Attleboro family that took in a lesbian couple and their children!!!! :laughing:

You shouldnt cut me slack for being a newbie, my opinion is still the same whether I make 6,969 posts or only one, and by the way my friend of 35 years is gay as well as 2 of my uncles and my 19 year old niece. so I am completely aware that gay people are all around me, I'm curious if you have children? As a parent it is difficult to explain sex,drugs,death and 2 million other crazy things that are part of an adults life to a 3 and a 5 year old, it is even more difficult to explain to them why 2 guys have there tongues down each others throat. with this being said; I have been to Disney 17 times and constantly see a man a women holding hands smiling enjoying each others company. I think it is wonderful. I have also seen gay women and gay men holding hands and think that to is also wonderful. Nothing is stronger than Love if 2 men or 2 women are in love than god bless them but dont be over affectionate because they feel they need to prove a point.
I'm a parent to 4 and have never had any problem explaining gay people to them.

Ditto

Tomker, sorry that you are getting flamed. You are certainly not the first person to ever raise their concerns about this week on this board. As you said, your older child will not be the issue, but if you are concerned about
whether or not two men or two women might be publicly showing affection and you might have to explain that to your 3 and 5 year olds then that is understandable. We all should be able to choose when we talk to our children about important issues without having them forced on us and if this isn't something that you usually encounter then your concern is understandable.
That being said, hopefully everyone gay or not will be behaving themselves the way that they should since they are in a family theme park. I hope that you have a wonderful trip!:)

Tomker, sorry that you are getting flamed. You are certainly not the first person to ever raise their concerns about this week on this board. As you said, your older child will not be the issue, but if you are concerned about
whether or not two men or two women might be publicly showing affection and you might have to explain that to your 3 and 5 year olds then that is understandable. We all should be able to choose when we talk to our children about important issues without having them forced on us and if this isn't something that you usually encounter then your concern is understandable.
That being said, hopefully everyone gay or not will be behaving themselves the way that they should since they are in a family theme park. I hope that you have a wonderful trip!:)

How is it any more difficult to explain 2 gay people are kissing than it is to explain why 2 straight people are kissing?

Good for you dear. By all means protect the children.

But you really have to admire the energy of the gays. Why just think of the things they've been up to of late:

**Parades all over the place with all those clever little cheers--"2, 4, 6, 8, how do you know your kids are straight?" Disturbing, but clever. :rolleyes1

**Sneaking into the Republican Party and Christian Right when no one was looking -- someone forgot to watch the back door. :scared1:

**Absolutely ruining marriage in Massachusetts -- I know several people who had happy, normal, heterosexual marriages and until the day that gays could tie the knot; as you can imagine those couples hardly know each other anymore. :eek:

And on top of all that they manage to organize a week in Disney World. I know that Disney doesn't officially recognize their efforts, but I distinctly recall reading that for every child exposed to a public display of affection a swell toaster-oven is awarded.

The whole country is going to heck in a hand basket.

JLOVESEE
Yours is the best response yet, I am not against sexual preference. I am against PDA. seems gay people amplify it when surrounded by 100,000 of there own. you dont see 100,000 straight people being affectionate.

JLOVESEE
Yours is the best response yet, I am not against sexual preference. I am against PDA. seems gay people amplify it when surrounded by 100,000 of there own. you dont see 100,000 straight people being affectionate.

I willl admit that I have never been to Gaydays at WDW. I was at gayday at Disneyland by accident once..I didn't see any more PDA's than normal.

Well, I made the mistake of planning a vacation to Disney During Gay Week, May 26 thru 6-3 2007 I have 3 kids DD5,DS3 DS 14 (he watches MTV so he understands) Unfortunately this trip is non refundable, so I am going to make the best of it, the challenge this time is not entertaining my family but keeping the sights of shaved men with comboy hats and arm bands making out away from the eyes of my 5 and 3 year old
:banana: :rotfl2:
Anyway I'm completely against PDABGP(Public Display of Affection by gay people) so Im giving all the parents who feel the same as me a list of "WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM" This is where the gay people a scheduled to be during that week.

5-31 Animal Kingdom
6-1 sea world
6-2 magic kingdom
6-3 Epcot
Royal Plaza May 26 thru 6-3

The original post didn't seem like someone aware of Gay people. I'm sure you friend of 35 years and your uncles would be real happy of your stereotyping of Gay people as the "Shaved Cowboys with arm bands making out".

You are right, the lyrics your child hears on MTV are so much better than seeing some gay people. Singing about drugs and calling women inappropriate names is the way to go.

"The gay people" must make your relatives real proud. Be sure not to shave while you are there, someone may get the park days mixed up and try to make you wear their cowboy hat and arm band. :confused3

Yes I have young children and yes I go to WDW almost every year in the first week of June due to the school calender. I have only once in my umpteen trips to WDW have ever seen a truly offensive PDA and that was during NOJ! A young hormonal STRAIGHT couple broke away from their youth group to make out in a darl corner of the POTC queue.

By the way...gay people often park hop on Gay Days so you may see some men in cowboy hats at Epcot.

I would like to know were you guys draw the line at "acceptance and diversity." This attitude, while sometimes good can also be a dangerous thing. Who should we be accepting of next? Once you start saying "well their not hurting anyone" or "it's their choice," can lead you down a dangerous slope. I often study ancient history in my spare time and can tell you that many societies that let the traditional family values decline were either wiped out or faded into existance. I would like you guys to look at the crime rates in the past thirty years. They have soared. If you ask many experts they will tell you that a big part of it is due to the decline of the traditional American family. Am I blaming it all on gay's? No, however I strongly believe that a family should be made up of a mother, father and their children. Just because it's the twentyfirst century doesn't mean that we should throw all of our traditional values out the door. If you guys want to flame me thats fine. I really don't care, however it makes me sad to know that so many of you think that being gay is acceptable and should be tolerated. If you guys wish too debate this further I should be on the computer for the next hour.

Even the Dis founder and webmaster says Gay Days are out of control...And he is gay.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

According to him, at one hotel, drugs were so bad during gay week that they had police and drug sniffing dogs stationed in the lobby. In that situation, I dont care if you are gay, straight, black, red, or green. You have no business doing drugs and being around kids at Disney world.

How is it any more difficult to explain 2 gay people are kissing than it is to explain why 2 straight people are kissing?

Exactly!:thumbsup2

You probably won't see any more odd park behavior than you would any other day. If you do happen to see two people of the same sex kissing or more likely just holding hands, or being a normal family with their kids, your kids probably won't notice.

If they do how about telling them this:
All families are different. Some families have a mom and dad, some have just a mom, some kids live with their grandma, some kids have two dads or two moms, some kids have a brother, some have six brothers. Families come in all different ways and all are unique and special. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter