• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gay Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

jngwright

DIS Veteran
Our MK day is the same as the MK day for Gay Days. Touring plans still says that MK is a go for that day, so my question is:

Does the Gay Days crowd significantly increase wait times and crowds, or not really?

TIA:thumbsup2

I have no idea, but I see you have two seven year olds so I would encourage you to read up on the subject to help determine if you want to go to MK that day.

I have read up on it and have no problem with my children seeing people who love each other.

I've heard both. Some people have said that it definitely increases crowds and some have said that it doesn't. Could you switch your MK day just in case? The events don't seem to affect the crowd levels at the other parks as much.

Gay Days will not have any impact on the crowds. And as I see someone has already posted something about "reading up on the subject", let me say there will be no negative impact on your children due to their being in proximity to people who happen to be homosexual. Unbeknowst to the pp, he is around gay people all the time and just doesn't know it.

I have read up on it and have no problem with my children seeing people who love each other.

Gay Days will not have any impact on the crowds. And as I see someone has already posted something about "reading up on the subject", let me say there will be no negative impact on your children due to their being in proximity to people who happen to be homosexual. Unbeknowst to the pp, he is around gay people all the time and just doesn't know it.

As noted, I am not concerned about any negative impact on my children. This is a crowd question, nothing else.

When DH and I were on our honeymoon in 2000, we were there during Gay Days and really had no idea. We stayed at POFQ and there was a note in our room that the Magic Kingdom was expecting "high crowds" and therefore they were offering us an extra EMH morning that week. It wasn't until I saw a few tshirts that I even realized what was going on.

We weren't planning on going to MK that day, so I don't know if it really impacted the crowd level - plus, it was 10 years ago, but I know everyone seemed to be having a good time :)

Our family was there on this particular day in 2008 and are returning this year. The crowds didn't really start to show until afternoon. We left for a break after lunch and returned around 6 P.M. that evening to very managable crowds. We had been told that most of the Gay Day participants stayed through the afternoon parade, then dispersed to their evening activities elsewhere. Outside of the hours of 12PM through 4 PM, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this date to anyone.

Our family was there on this particular day in 2008 and are returning this year. The crowds didn't really start to show until afternoon. We left for a break after lunch and returned around 6 P.M. that evening to very managable crowds. We had been told that most of the Gay Day participants stayed through the afternoon parade, then dispersed to their evening activities elsewhere. Outside of the hours of 12PM through 4 PM, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this date to anyone.

Thank you! We usually hit it hard in the a.m. and go back to the resort to swim after lunch-then come back. So, this seems perfect!

Side note-The Poly!!! I am jealous;) Have so much fun:goodvibes

I go for Gay Days and it does add a bit to the crowds, especially for particular attractions...
For example, all the "bears" hit up the Country Bear Jamboree at 1pm.
Main Street will be a sea of red shirts...(the "signal" that you are there to participate in Gay Days.)
The writings on the shirts can be a little...colorful... at times, but nothing full out inappropriate.

It's a wonderful time to be at the Magic Kingdom...mostly just a bunch of people celebrating themselves in a tasteful way at the best place to be :)

The crowds won't really show up until the afternoon, since most of the people involved will have been out partying until 2am the night before...

We were there during gay days a few years back, the parks did not seem crowded, the crowds we noticed were at downtown disney in the evenings. That got a bit hectic and crazy with crowds.

I was at Gay Days last year at MK. You will see quite a few red shirts. I think I have some photos I can show you that depict cowd level. The lines aren't any worse than any other day of that crowd level, and if I may say some of our most fun experiences were at the MK Gay Day!!

WDWJune2009144.jpg

WDWJune2009145.jpg

Those pictures look like an ordinary day in June except maybe redder. ;)

It's interesting that the crowds seem to pick up in some areas just in the afternoon. That sounds easy to deal with.

to the OP - I love your comment about people loving each other!

My wife and I got married there, and lots of 7 yr olds saw us there - I am pretty sure that we did not "rub off" on anyone! Despite what some people think, it is not contagious. Nor did we behave inappropriately.

I have heard that if you avoid the "park of the day" it is not much different than a normal day...

Love that answer! :thumbsup2 Completely agree (well, I would if I had kids...). We will also be there during Gay Days, but because of crowd level we're avoiding the "official" parks on those days.

I am a local, but I went for the first time last year and I can definitely confirm most ppl mass exit the park after the parade. some might come back, but most will go back and relax, cool off, and get ready for the party night. :cool1:

We visit every year on Gay Day at MK and the crowd is up somewhat but not significantly. One year, maybe two or three years ago, it was a rather gray, rainy day and we walked on everything. Last year was the most crowded I have seen it, but not a mid-summer crowd level by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter