Gay days - bring the kids?

jaimeadk

Mouseketeer
My partner and I are planning on attending gay days this year. It will be our first time and we are wanting to bring my three kids. They've never been before and we would love to take them but I've heard mixed reviews so I wanted to get opinions from you guys.
Obviously, we would have no problems with sweet displays of public affection but I've heard this sometimes becomes a bit of a wild crowd and lots of public making out. I know lots can be rumored and I wanted to get an accurate description.
Please, I'm not wanting to start any heated discussion or controversy. For us, we just prefer a tamer crowd and draw lines at what our kids witness.
We will be staying on property and will probably finish up our days about 7 each evening.
Sounds like a really great event we would love to be a part of but don't want to regret our decision.

You won't. Regret your decision, I mean. The parks are quite tame, even the "big day" of MK with all the red shirts. There is usually some hand holding, or arms draped over shoulders, but nothing untoward. The most inappropriate displays of PDA I've ever seen at the parks have been from heterosexual teens and some heterosexual adults (especially during Gay Day, for some reason there are those who are terribly threatened by us and need to be sure we "all realize they aren't gay). :laughing:

Stay away from the offsite host hotel. That is party city even in the early hours of the day. All well and good for the partiers, but nothing I like to be involved in (and therefore nothing I'd want my child to be involved in).

There are huge rumors and always an "eye witness" account of PDA that stopped just short of public intercourse but I've never, ever witnessed anything other than the hand holding, draped over shoulder arm sort of stuff...and we've been any number of times.

As the evening draws on in places where alcohol is served you'll potentially see more lively interactions that include laughter and silliness but again, nothing untoward.

Enjoy! It's a wonderful time of year!

I've occasionally seen some inappropriately heavy making-out, but that's about all. Now, the host hotels are a different matter...

Thanks so much for your kind responses. We booked this AM and are so looking forward to going. It is really sad people have to exaggerate their "eye witness accounts".

I recommend taking your kids! The last few years, I've seen more and more families with 2 mommies or 2 daddies! It's a wonderful time to enjoy the parks as a family!!!! ....it always makes me even more proud when I see them!!!!

The most 'gays at gay days' occur on MK day. The other days we have a presence, but nothing like MK day. Even on MK day, it seams the later the evening gets the fewer of us there are in the parks.

I've seen hand holding, but that's it. We are usually there from open to close on all four days, and I've never seen anything inappropriate. I think staying on property is the way to go! We love Disney, and it's just more enjoyable to us that way!

Not sure the age of your kids, but I hear GREAT things about MK day breakfast at CP from other people with kids.

We were there last year during Gay Days. I was a little worried as to what we might see because I had heard stories. I explained to my kids what gay meant and that they would see families that were different than ours. I didn't want them to ask questions and make anybody uncomfortable. I don't think my children even noticed. We never encountered anything inappropriate. We had a great time and would go back again during Gay Days.

We went with our kids last year for Gay Days. They were "just turned" 8 and 11. They had a blast. All four of us wore our red T-shirts on MK day

Have a blast, your kids will too!!!

My partner and I are planning on attending gay days this year. It will be our first time and we are wanting to bring my three kids. They've never been before and we would love to take them but I've heard mixed reviews so I wanted to get opinions from you guys.
Obviously, we would have no problems with sweet displays of public affection but I've heard this sometimes becomes a bit of a wild crowd and lots of public making out. I know lots can be rumored and I wanted to get an accurate description.
Please, I'm not wanting to start any heated discussion or controversy. For us, we just prefer a tamer crowd and draw lines at what our kids witness.
We will be staying on property and will probably finish up our days about 7 each evening.
Sounds like a really great event we would love to be a part of but don't want to regret our decision.

My family goes during GD's each year and we have yet to have an issue with anyone being overly affectionate during this time:love2: We always enjoy ourselves. Sometimes if you're lucky the only ones you'll see making out and carrying on crazy are us straight ones;):rolleyes1:rotfl:. Go have a great time and then decide if it is something you would do again. This will make our 4th time there during this time :3dglasses:banana::darth:

WE WENT LAST YEAR, TOOK ARE GRANDCHILDREN, HAD A GREAT TIME. THE SWEETEST THING WAS WHEN ONE GRANDCHILD THOUGHT ALL THE RED SHIRT PEOPLE WERE THERE FOR THERE FAMILY REUNION AND WHEN THEY WOULD HUG OR KISS SHE THOUGHT THEY WERE FROM FRANCE AND THEY KISS ALOT FROM THERE. AND MR GAY HAS A BIG FAM. HOW SWEET IS THAT. ALL WAS GREAT AND NO PROBLEMS EVER:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter