"Gay Days" at Disney question

We have been there 2 times during these days. Yes you will see lots of PDA and some action happening. It did not bother me at all but it bothered my husband some. The guys really showed more than the women. We were on the WDW railroad at MK and there were several on the train around us going "at it" pretty heavilly. I think they were just trying to get attention.
I have no problem with any gay people (have a great best friend that is gay) but that was a little much!

A Princess Daddy!

I bet your right...I never thought about spring break or even Grad. I bet can get bad too! I think we are making a great decision. I have a handicap son and have noticed that people that have been ridiculed in life seem to be more compassionate than others ;) I notice when I take him places the people that DO go out of their ways to hold doors to let me push a wheelchair through...and that DO take the time to tell him hello. I think sometimes ppl that have been pushed aside, made fun of, and discriminated agains...are very kind and dont want to do that to others!!

I am not a homophobe by any stretch, we have friends who are gay, but I would never again take my kids to the park of the day during gay days- just as I would nevertake them to night of joy( a christian event). Anytime you get large groups of people with a specific group mentality and agenda you have the potential for mob behavior- the last time we went accidentally to mk on gay days we serenaded on iasm to the gay world version- loudly; saw way more PDA than we would have liked and had my then 6 year old ask what an orgasm was because he read it on someone's shirt. Just not am experience I would choose to repeat.

I know what you meant by this, but I just want to say, as a Bostonian transplanted to Iowa (the second state to legalize gay marriage), you'd be surprised by how little most people in that state, at least, seem to care about the issue, as long as people are good to each other. It's a very "live and let live" culture here. Or at least I was very surprised by it, and you won't fine many places more "Midwest" than Iowa. Frankly, it's a far more tolerant place, in my opinion, than New England...

I grew up in Iowa and now live in Nebraska. There is a serious who cares attitude about being gay. Yes, there are some people who have an issue with everything and or anything, but for the most part..who cares? I mean really...with everything to be concerned with, what you chose to do in your life really isn't anyone's business anymore than what happens in mine.

My DH and I both have family who are gay and have more problems when they leave the midwest than when the stay home. LOL The DH is planning on taking some of his red t-shirts on this trip since we will be there during those days. :goodvibes

From a crowd standpoint, you'll want to avoid the "park of the day" for the event.

:earsboy:

I've read conflicting reports on this. We actually arrive on the 4th and planned to go to MK because I want the kids to start their trip at MK. I've read it will be more crowded but I've also read it tends to be less because people plan a different park than the designated park. I could care less about the PDA (provided it's at a tasteful level regardless of sexuality) and my kids have grown up around a lot of gay friends and relatives. None of that stuff matters one bit to us. I just don't want to be in an unmanagable crowd if it's avoidable.

We went last year during Gay Days...it was fine. I was a bit worried since my google search turned up an article written by a gay guy about how horrible the gay day at MK was...PDA, insane clothes, other behavior...so I did plan our days around the Gay Days schedule (except when our le Cellier dinner was set for Epcot on that day.) Overall, it wasn't a big deal at all. We didn't see any PDA or anything that bothered us (and I'm bothered easily- regardless of sexual orientation!)

I did Food and Wine festival with my kids...whether the people were straight, gay, bi or what ever it was very inappropriate in front of children...I've never seen so many drunk people falling over themselves in one place..that is something I would never subject them to again...I am not worried about being there during Gay days...Originally I was concerned crowd wise but that is the only thing that concerns me

I've seen fat women with more butt showing that I ever care to see. I've seen teenagers making out. I've seen brazilian girls flashing everyone after getting wet in a down pour. And I've seen some hideous screaming men yelling at their families. All these things ruin disney happiness for me.

However, if you are a gay family and are standing next to me while waiting in line and if you happen to decide to lean over and give your husband/wife/partner a kiss, from the sheer happiness of being at Disney, I will not freak out. :love:

I love this. :worship: TOTALLY agree!

We were there last year for Gay Day and didn't even notice until we were riding a shuttle and noticed many same sex couples just holding hands...like me and my husband were doing. Definitely nothing over the top, unlike some of the hetro couples that we saw. :confused3 One tall and large gent had a red shirt on that said "I believe in fairies." He saw me reading his shirt and winked and smiled. :goodvibes

" NOT THAT THEIRS ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT" I was thinking about going during this time. It would be My grandmother, Mother, 2 kids, and I. I am not one that is not big on PDA that is over the top...regardless your gender...that is just me. So I am not saying because it is "gay Day" I just want to know if anyone has been and is there any extra PDA due to this being their time to not be judged or what not. I noticed that it is per park too. The crowd calender looks fairly reasonable...is this true too. Like I said I do not care about gender or I would not be considering this...just extreme PDA and crowds is all I am asking about. SO please dont burn me or think I am saying ANYTHING about gender pref. I DONT CARE! ;)

I took my family of 5 during Gay Days two summers ago....had zero problems, concerns, etc..... going the same week this summer too.

I went during "Gay Week" last year. Initially I was worried because I thought the parks would be more crowded. Any headlining event or parade tends to make me nervous. Nothing stands between me & my Splash Mountain! I gotta say.... Disney runs like a fine oiled machine. It's enormous and yet I was able to do EVERYTHING I wanted to do without any issues. In fact, I would recommend going during that time (which was early June). I'm going in May this year which should be about the same crowd levels. I had so much fun. "Gay Week" didn't seem to generate any crowding. Nothing that I could pick up on. I didn't notice any PDA from anyone either (gay or straight). I'm sure they arranged special events but I must not have been at those parks at those times.

Disney is a very family friendly place. People of all ages, races, genders, religions & orientations all seem to go for the same reason. It's like we're all a bunch of kids again! I love it! While PDA (within reason) certainly doesn't bother me, I really didn't see it anywhere to be honest. From anyone. People were obsessing over which ride to go on next :cool1:

I went during "Gay Week" last year. Initially I was worried because I thought the parks would be more crowded. Any headlining event or parade tends to make me nervous. Nothing stands between me & my Splash Mountain! I gotta say.... Disney runs like a fine oiled machine. It's enormous and yet I was able to do EVERYTHING I wanted to do without any issues. In fact, I would recommend going during that time (which was early June). I'm going in May this year which should be about the same crowd levels. I had so much fun. "Gay Week" didn't seem to generate any crowding. Nothing that I could pick up on. I didn't notice any PDA from anyone either (gay or straight). I'm sure they arranged special events but I must not have been at those parks at those times.

most of the activities take place outside of WDW at the doubletree. Other than one specified park day it's not an event that is really centered around WDW. :)

also this IS a nice civil thread which makes me think we need some sort of special LGMH for that weekend. Like LGMH with a rainbow on it or something showing the all the DIS members who support our LGBT friends...

"LGMH for LGBT" it could be a movement....

I thought i read somewhere that this was the 20th anniversary of GD so in my opionion, the sat at MK might be more crowded than normal. been 3 times during that week. once at sat. at MK 98% just like any other time but the other 2% were WAY over the line (very vulgar language, Tshirt messages not appropriate for anywhere). we have avoided the park of the day since then and had no problems.
another thought, with all of the clubs at Pleasure Island gone, do y'all think this has/will cut down on the "wilder, more outrageous" types? without those clubs as a draw i thought it might make it more family oriented.

I grew up in Iowa and now live in Nebraska. There is a serious who cares attitude about being gay. Yes, there are some people who have an issue with everything and or anything, but for the most part..who cares? I mean really...with everything to be concerned with, what you chose to do in your life really isn't anyone's business anymore than what happens in mine.

Exactly. My favorite was when the Des Moines Register did a poll a year after the unanimous Iowa Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriage and the issue of gay marriage was something like ninth (and dead last) in the list of donor concerns, after dog racing, slot machines in horse tracks, legalized marijuana and something else pretty low on the spectrum of political concerns of the citizens of Iowa. The people here just don't care, as long as you're a good person.

It's frankly really refreshing to live in a place where you're judged by the content of your character and not by prejudged stereotypes of class, education, race or sexual orientation. Although it did take me a few years to break the Bostonian habit of asking "where did you go to college" as an introductory question when meeting somebody new. :rotfl:

Although it did take me a few years to break the Bostonian habit of asking "where did you go to college" as an introductory question when meeting somebody new. :rotfl:

I'm from very small town Iowa...very very small...and people were more concerned about the rain/crops and pig prices. LOL But, yes it's a great place to grow up. And I think the answer to the college question would be Iowa State or Iowa. :) That's is a fairly hot button topic in the Des Moines/Iowa City area. hehee

Hey girl! It's your old childhood buddy - "Carlyzmom" - hee hee! We were actually there on our honeymoon during that time and it was NO problem at all.

First time I've ever seen you on the DIS! I recognized that handsome boy of yours! LOL :laughing:

We've been there 4 or 5 times during gay days and only once have I seen any PDA...two girls we're kissing in the BTMRR line..... that was awesome :bitelip:

What ?? :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter