• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gay Days 2015 - Help me a Dad Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already mentioned...

I worked at Disney for what must have been two Gay Days and didn't really notice anything. I was looking for people in red shirts... but then again lots of people wear red so I wasn't sure if they were part of the group or not.

The worst is when I was working at Universal Studios though. Someone was driving a low flying plane in circle around the parks with a big banner that said, "WARNING - GAY DAYS AT DISNEY!" It was really offensive and really threw off people trying to enjoy a nice day at Universal. Some of the Gay Days people came over to Universal just because, as many people do, if you only have one vacation in Orlando you want to do everything and you could tell that everyone there, gay or straight, found it unsettling. What was worse was there was nothing that Universal could do. They told us to just ignore it but you try ignoring a loud plane with a huge banner. Later, someone else got a plane and circled around the first plane with a sign that said, "WARNING - HOMOPHOBES AT DISNEY" which was pretty funny but also just brought more attention to it.

I understand where the original poster was coming from, but I encourage you to just go and enjoy. If your kids do ask about it, make it a teaching moment. If you see the homophobe with the plane, just explain that there is someone out there who likes to waste their time and resources just to make some people feel bad about themselves for no reason, and that's not right.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people can't live their lives how they see fit and accept that other people will do the same. :confused3

Maybe, for the good of everyone and this board, we should just request that this thread be closed.

Yes please.

Back in 2006, Pete (for the n00bs: owner of the site, and also gay) had a big problem with Gay Days. It's died down since then, I take it.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

:thumbsup2

Haven't read the entire thread.

We took our family (Me, DH, my mom, DS 16, DD >1) this year in June to WDW during Gay Days and stayed at POFQ. During Gay Days there is a suggested park for everyone participating to go to. I used Touring Plans and avoided that park (not because I am worried about seeing gay people but to avoid larger crowds) and it worked well. I can honestly say that we did not see anything out of the norm. The crowds in early June were great, the weather was hot but bearable, we got to hit Star Wars Weekend...we would go again during that week/weekend in a heartbeat. If I hadn't known about it being Gay Days ahead of time I would have never known just from being there.

I think if you avoid the Park of the Day you won't really encounter anything out of the ordinary for a day at Disney.

I have read this entire thread. Beginning to end. I am very slow to judge a thread and waited a long, long time to post.

The OP was totally within his his rights to ask the questions he did. He asked with humor and compassion. He honestly wanted to know whether or not the unofficial "Gay Days" would cause him and his family any uncomfortable (to him) moments in their WDW vacation.

He requested observations from WDW guests attending during this so called "gay days" to let him know what his family may or may not observe if they attended that weekend.

Because he prefaced his request with a notation that his family has "conservative values"...this thread kind of blew up where it need not have.

Some of you chose to take offense but no offense was ever implied.

Originally Posted by heartse

People will always disagree with any choices that people make... see the thread about the couple that has 4 A&E FP+, or any of the other hot topics these days for evidence.
What about being born heterosexual was a choice for you?.

I believe the biggest point of difference is that those of us who hold to conservative/Biblical values do not believe anybody is born homosexual. We believe it is choice and free will. That is the defining line for acceptance of the lifestyle. It doesn't mean that people who disagree with the lifestyle hate people who are gay. We all have feelings, we all hurt, we all bleed, we all need to be loved.

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already mentioned...

I worked at Disney for what must have been two Gay Days and didn't really notice anything. I was looking for people in red shirts... but then again lots of people wear red so I wasn't sure if they were part of the group or not.

The worst is when I was working at Universal Studios though. Someone was driving a low flying plane in circle around the parks with a big banner that said, "WARNING - GAY DAYS AT DISNEY!" It was really offensive and really threw off people trying to enjoy a nice day at Universal. Some of the Gay Days people came over to Universal just because, as many people do, if you only have one vacation in Orlando you want to do everything and you could tell that everyone there, gay or straight, found it unsettling. What was worse was there was nothing that Universal could do. They told us to just ignore it but you try ignoring a loud plane with a huge banner. Later, someone else got a plane and circled around the first plane with a sign that said, "WARNING - HOMOPHOBES AT DISNEY" which was pretty funny but also just brought more attention to it.

I understand where the original poster was coming from, but I encourage you to just go and enjoy. If your kids do ask about it, make it a teaching moment. If you see the homophobe with the plane, just explain that there is someone out there who likes to waste their time and resources just to make some people feel bad about themselves for no reason, and that's not right.
These people seem to fly wherever they can during those days. They are idiots and unfortunately there's way too many of them around. I agree with those who say to just ignore them because hopefully if they get no attention then they'll go away.

Once I was at Disney and I saw a chick with nothing but a bikini on top, and two dudes with tops on and no pants!

(Well, it was Ariel, Donald and Pooh, but still...!)

Some day we'll look back on this sort of discussion and think "Wow. I lived through those antiquated days", the same way I can remember separate water fountains for different races when I was a kid.

Someday, there won't need to be Gay Days because it will be no big to virtually everyone. I pray. :grouphug:

I believe the biggest point of difference is that those of us who hold to conservative/Biblical values do not believe anybody is born homosexual. We believe it is choice and free will. That is the defining line for acceptance of the lifestyle. It doesn't mean that people who disagree with the lifestyle hate people who are gay. We all have feelings, we all hurt, we all bleed, we all need to be loved.

Why in the holy bleeping heck would we choose to be gay? Let me tell you, straight from the horse's mouth: you are wrong. You have been misinformed. If it's a choice, you choose it. Right now. I'm waiting! *taps foot* And please stop calling it 'the lifestyle'. Say what you really mean: gay sex. We're okay and you can like us so long as we remain celibate, right?

In other news: oh my god this thread is still going!

People don't actually believe this any more right? I can't believe people would actually be that ignorant.

People don't actually believe this any more right? I can't believe people would actually be that ignorant.

Ignorance is bliss. Why think for yourself when you have other people to do your thinking for you!

If you'll excuse me, I'll be over here sobbing in the corner about what a terrible person I am to have chosen such a 'lifestyle'!

For my family, it is a big deal and we won't go in June. If the idea of a heterosexual man wanting to protect his kids makes you feel uncomfortable, then don't read a post from a conservative standpoint :rolleyes1

...what exactly do the children need protecting from? I'm gay and I promise I have no evil plans when touring Disney - just looking to have a great time with my family. :confused3

Also - the OP asked for help with Gay Days, not for advice from conservatives! :sad2::sad2::sad2:

Love it! I wonder, is there somewhere I can politely inquire if there are any particular times to avoid these 'conservative' families? You see, rubbing elbows with bigots gives me hives! :rotfl:

Can we be friends? I love this. :rotfl2:

Expect to go to Disney World and see families together and having fun just like you are doing with your own family. Basically that's it. Just like every other day at Disney.

To quote my grandmother when I questioned "what is so special about these gays?" as a child when I heard about it on TV..."They are people. Nothing special about them, just plain ole people. Don't expect them to do circus tricks for you honey." That's basically the answer to your question. Don't expect anything more than business as usual at Disney which is people vacationing with their families.

Can I just say that your grandmother sounds like a fabulous lady? Good on her.

And to the OP, WDW is just like real life - but with extra pixie dust. You will see people of all ethnicities, races, cultures and lifestyles no matter when you visit and they are all there for the same reason - to experience the magic and joy of Disney.

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt although as a gay man, it is insulting to think they could possibly believe that Gay Days at Disney could be like New Orleans Mardi Gras.

Which reminds me of a story that happened to me this year at Gay Days 2014. I normally arrive the weekend before so I can do Disney and Universal at my own pace before friends come to town mid-week. I got a great deal at POFQ so I had 5 nights there before changing hotels for gay days events. On Monday June 2nd, I took the boat to Downtown Disney to see a late showing of Maleficent. When it was over, my only option was to take the DD bus back. At that time, the bus was being shared with Riverside. About 12 people got on. I sat in the upper section in the back next to the door if you know Disney buses. There were a few people in the lower section including a couple of kids. Two heterosexual couples, middle aged at that, sat up in the back section with me. Against the back wall.

They were drunk beyond belief. Being very loud and using very salty language if you will. You could hear sloppy kissing going on in the dark. The bus went to Riverside first. When we arrived at the first bus stop, the lights came on. The 2 couples in the back with me must not have known that would happen. One of the women, approximately late 40's early 50s mind you, had her hand up the cargo shorts of one of the gentlemen. He... how can I say this... seemed very happy about this. They all broke into hysterics with the lights came on. There was a little girl sitting across from the mid section door. Maybe 9 years old. Her mother looking at a smart phone oblivious. Not sure if the girl saw anything. The 2 couples probably didn't care. Everyone had gotten off the bus by the 4th Riverside stop except me and the 2 couples. At the last Riverside stop, they staggered off the bus. One of the women asked me if I wanted to go swimming. I said, kinda sarcastically, that I didn't have my swim trunks. She yelled "F*** swim trunks! We're going skinny dipping!"

Not sure what kind of debauchery happened at the Riverside pool later after that but I can tell you from attending Gay Days Disneyland 6 times and Gay Days WDW 3 times, I have never seen such inappropriate behavior at Disney. Us gays are way more clever than that and usually at worse resort to tees with double entendres if anything. So before believing rumors that a gathering of gays is going to be like drunken New Orleans Mardi Gras, just remember it's straight people that give Mardi Gras it's reputation and on any given day, there are way more straight people on Disney property that have the chance to be drunk and act the fool than gay ones.

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt although as a gay man, it is insulting to think they could possibly believe that Gay Days at Disney could be like New Orleans Mardi Gras.

Which reminds me of a story that happened to me this year at Gay Days 2014. I normally arrive the weekend before so I can do Disney and Universal at my own pace before friends come to town mid-week. I got a great deal at POFQ so I had 5 nights there before changing hotels for gay days events. On Monday June 2nd, I took the boat to Downtown Disney to see a late showing of Maleficent. When it was over, my only option was to take the DD bus back. At that time, the bus was being shared with Riverside. About 12 people got on. I sat in the upper section in the back next to the door if you know Disney buses. There were a few people in the lower section including a couple of kids. Two heterosexual couples, middle aged at that, sat up in the back section with me. Against the back wall.

They were drunk beyond belief. Being very loud and using very salty language if you will. You could hear sloppy kissing going on in the dark. The bus went to Riverside first. When we arrived at the first bus stop, the lights came on. The 2 couples in the back with me must not have known that would happen. One of the women, approximately late 40's early 50s mind you, had her hand up the cargo shorts of one of the gentlemen. He... how can I say this... seemed very happy about this. They all broke into hysterics with the lights came on. There was a little girl sitting across from the mid section door. Maybe 9 years old. Her mother looking at a smart phone oblivious. Not sure if the girl saw anything. The 2 couples probably didn't care. Everyone had gotten off the bus by the 4th Riverside stop except me and the 2 couples. At the last Riverside stop, they staggered off the bus. One of the women asked me if I wanted to go swimming. I said, kinda sarcastically, that I didn't have my swim trunks. She yelled "F*** swim trunks! We're going skinny dipping!"

Not sure what kind of debauchery happened at the Riverside pool later after that but I can tell you from attending Gay Days Disneyland 6 times and Gay Days WDW 3 times, I have never seen such inappropriate behavior at Disney. Us gays are way more clever than that and usually at worse resort to tees with double entendres if anything. So before believing rumors that a gathering of gays is going to be like drunken New Orleans Mardi Gras, just remember it's straight people that give Mardi Gras it's reputation and on any given day, there are way more straight people on Disney property that have the chance to be drunk and act the fool than gay ones.
That's creepy. And again a few extreme cases. I prefer to think that 99% of people don't behave like that. :rolleyes2

I certainly hope that there aren't actually people that think that any gathering of gay people will turn into a stereotypical New Orleans celebration! (Poor Nola - I like the city.) It never occurred to me that anyone would think like that.

Oh lawd. Its Disney World, not a rave.

Same sex couples will be holding hands and and *gasp* maybe even a kiss on the cheek or mouth.

Seeing gay couples in public won't scar your children. God forbid you might have to explain why 2 guys are holding hands.

Could there be obnoxious people during gay days? Sure. But that could happen anywhere you go (with straight people, as well).

I believe the biggest point of difference is that those of us who hold to conservative/Biblical values do not believe anybody is born homosexual. We believe it is choice and free will.

35a9c8n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter