Gay Days 2015 - Help me a Dad Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with the OP questions. Kudos for being honest and asking questions that concern your family. Too many people walk around trying to be politically correct and not hurt anyone's feelings. There isn't a hetero day, asexual day, just a gay day. So from someone like myself, I would wonder why we need a special day and what it means before I brought small children along. As far as I know, everyone is allowed at wdw everyday. If there was a hetero day, I would ask the same questions. Why would they single out certain days for being hetero. It'd make me cautious as well.

Nothing wrong with the OP questions. Kudos for being honest and asking questions that concern your family. Too many people walk around trying to be politically correct and not hurt anyone's feelings. There isn't a hetero day, asexual day, just a gay day. So from someone like myself, I would wonder why we need a special day and what it means before I brought small children along. As far as I know, everyone is allowed at wdw everyday. If there was a hetero day, I would ask the same questions. Why would they single out certain days for being hetero. It'd make me cautious as well.

Reminds me of people who say, "If there's a Black History Month, why isn't there a White History Month?" :sad2:

Also, asexuals are included under the rainbow flag. One of the alternatives to LGBT (depending on who you ask) is LGBTQQIA: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual.

"They" (Disney) doesn't. It's not an event sponsored or promoted or created or endorsed or anything else by Disney. It's put together by an outside organization that simply choose Disney as the location for their gathering.

I think you have given the perfect response :thumbsup

I would say, "Why is it a month and not year round?"

It'd be great if it was! But that's not reality. Things like Black History Month and Gay Pride (and Gay Days) exist to lend visibility to groups that have historically been underrepresented and marginalized. Saying there should be hetero days and white history months assumes there's a level playing field. There isn't.

One day, these special gatherings and distinctions won't be necessary. But as long as people are discriminated against for the color of their skin or who they love, we will have these things to give a face and voice to our struggles and victories.

And one day, threads like this will be unnecessary. And even though by that time we'll probably be wearing sun-suits while fighting aliens, it'll be a good day.

It'd be great if it was! But that's not reality. Things like Black History Month and Gay Pride (and Gay Days) exist to lend visibility to groups that have historically been underrepresented and marginalized. Saying there should be hetero days and white history months assumes there's a level playing field. There isn't.

One day, these special gatherings and distinctions won't be necessary. But as long as people are discriminated against for the color of their skin or who they love, we will have these things to give a face and voice to our struggles and victories.

And one day, threads like this will be unnecessary. And even though by that time we'll probably be wearing sun-suits while fighting aliens, it'll be a good day.

*applauds*

:thumbsup2:worship:

Believing that one day there will be none that don't agree with the LGBT lifestyle is just crazy. People will always disagree with any choices that people make... see the thread about the couple that has 4 A&E FP+, or any of the other hot topics these days for evidence. The issue that I have is that many on the pro-LGBT side confuse someone who disagrees with the lifestyle with those who hate or are simply intolerant. Those two are not the same thing. I don't agree with those who say that Disney is not a good place to go on vacation; I do not hate them, and certain do tolerate them.

Believing that one day there will be none that don't agree with the LGBT lifestyle is just crazy. People will always disagree with any choices that people make... see the thread about the couple that has 4 A&E FP+, or any of the other hot topics these days for evidence. The issue that I have is that many on the pro-LGBT side confuse someone who disagrees with the lifestyle with those who hate or are simply intolerant. Those two are not the same thing. I don't agree with those who say that Disney is not a good place to go on vacation; I do not hate them, and certain do tolerate them.

What, exactly, is there to disagree with? And what is this 'lifestyle' you people are always talking about?

Believing that one day there will be none that don't agree with the LGBT lifestyle is just crazy.
What exactly is it you are trying to say here?

People will always disagree with any choices that people make... see the thread about the couple that has 4 A&E FP+, or any of the other hot topics these days for evidence.
What about being born heterosexual was a choice for you?

The issue that I have is that many on the pro-LGBT side confuse someone who disagrees with the lifestyle with those who hate or are simply intolerant.
Being a biker is a lifestyle. Being DINK is a lifestyle. Not having children by choice is a lifestyle. Being gay is NOT a lifestyle. It's a life. It's the way of being in the world.

Those two are not the same thing. I don't agree with those who say that Disney is not a good place to go on vacation; I do not hate them, and certain do tolerate them.

Choosing to not vacation at a theme park is in no way comparable to choosing to hate someone for the way s/he was born. Do not diminish being gay by likening it to a less than desirable choice for vacation.

No offense but calling the "choices people make" about "LGBT lifestyle" (what does this even mean?) the same thing as someone who chooses not to go to Disney World is very misleading and ignorant...

Those things are not equivalent... Do you choose to be straight?

1) I have questions/concerns - Don't judge just give me the appropriate info.
2) We raise our kids as conservative as we can and try and tackle issues in a planned/thoughtful way.
3) Saying that - what I don't want is some Extreme Right Homophobic telling me to stay away from Gay Days just to prove a point to Disney. Like I said, we are conservative for the most part but we are not nutcases.
4) We have been to WDW 6 times and see gay couples ALL the time. They are respectful and have NEVER put us in a position to have to have discussions with our kids that we didn't feel they were ready for.
5) Now to "Gay Days", I do not mind sharing WDW with ANY respectable person BUT I would like to be informed on my surroundings.
6) This is what I have heard - On one side... "Don't even worry about it, you don't even know its happening." The middle ..."That there are planned parks to attend for anyone wanting to participate in "Gay Days" and if I want to avoid those parks I can and wouldn't really notice much of anything different as a typical park day." And then to another side "WDW Gay Days is like going to a Gay Pride parade in New Orleans on Bourbon St during Mardi Gras."
7) Just need to know the real deal. What people do in their bedroom is their business...I got enough issues to try and figure out that one and pass judgement on it...but trying to raise my kids is mine, and the encounters we have with homosexual couples at wdw in the past have been nothing but class act. What I don't want is to put a 3 yr old or 5 yr old in a position to ask questions that I feel they simply wouldn't understand the answers...

Sorry for the list form but its how I think. and any help would be great.

I'm sorry you are catching a lot of grief for something that should be as simple as answering a few questions. I feel the same way and wondered the same thing before we took kids this past year, but knew if I asked, it would be flamed like no other. I raise my kids to be tolerant, but also don't want to have to explain such topics while we are having fun at Disney World. There is a time and a place, and vacation is not it.

Like I said, we went this year (wanted to go for Mark Hamill, and happened to be the same weekend), and yes, I did notice a difference. There were a few couples that were classy and normal (normal for me is behavior/dress I would find acceptable from anyone, no matter who they love), but I saw a lot of couples that were dressed inappropriately and showing too much PDA for my taste. I would feel the same way if I saw a man/woman couple acting the same way or dressed the same way. I do not care to explain to my kids why a woman is wearing a black bra with a low cut/see through top where the bra was more on display than the shirt. I do not care to see anyone sucking face and groping each other (kissing is fine....tongue is too much). I would usually steer my kids away, and it wasn't enough that I would vow to never go again during that time. However, if given the choice, I would avoid it if I had my kids along, but if Mark Hamill comes back next year during that weekend, we will prob be back.

I know you did not just equate being gay with choosing A&E FP+ reservations. :crazy2: One is a choice (making four, one or zero sets of A&E FP+ reservations), the other is a trait your are born with. Like others have asked, when exactly did you choose to be straight?

I apologize... it was not intended the way that many have taken it. Notwithstanding, to paraphrase Dumbledore, if you are waiting for universal approval it will unfortunately never happen. People have biases no matter... correct or not... that's simply part of human nature.

Do people even remember the original post?

He has said that he had no problem with any of the couples he had encountered in the past and that he doesn't really care what they do. He then also said that he had heard conflicting reports on what goes on during that week at WDW and just wanted to hear what other people had experienced so he knew what to expect. Personally, I can understand why he wouldn't want to take a 3 year old and 5 year old to something similar to "a Gay Pride parade in New Orleans on Bourbon St during Mardi Gras." For the record, I wouldn't want to take children to a Straight Pride parade in New Orleans on Bourbon St during Mardi Gras, either. It seems to me that he just wanted to know if the reports that it was all perfectly normal and just like every other week were the norm or if the mardi gras thing was real. People answered that it was the former much more than the latter and then many chose to jump on and make assumptions that he hates gays and wants to be far far away from them. A point, by the way, that he had already addressed in his first post. So, can we please all just get over it, move on, and get back to discussing FP+, MDE, and what they are going to be doing to Maelstrom?

FTW! This should have been the end of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter