Gay Day 2013?

YankeePrincess said:
Just because someone is gay, doesn't mean they are all having a Disney orgy in the parks.

That might be a little extreme for some. I'd settle for Aladdin and Tarzan making out on a magic carpet.

But Gay Days isn't a PRIDE event.

how is it not a pride event? everyone goes together they wear matching shirts ect. it may not be an extreme pride event but its still a pride event. i actually have a gay friend who didnt go this year because he felt it was to militant and in your face..

One night, when DH and I had just started dating (so around '97), he called me up and asked if I wanted to go to DL with him and his friend (who's gay). I was a bit surprised cause it was at night, he said it was a special event. I agreed. Off we went. I was there about 45 minutes before I realized it was a gay event. My DH and his friend got a kick out of the moment I realized it. We were strolling through the park, holding hands with my then BF, when I suddenly stopped, and looked around, and realized all these same sex couples were making out, we were probably one of the few heterosexual couples in the park. There were a few couples that were over the top, but to be fair, it was an after hours event.

Then about 6 yrs ago, we went to DL with our then 4 yr old DD, not even knowing about daytime gay days (which BTW, are not Disney sponsored events, so for the people that say, if you don't like these promoted events, don't go on those days, that's not fair, because Disney does NOT promote them so many families don't know about them). We go, DH is wearing a red shirt, when we notice a lot of people are also wearing red shirts, we are baffled, before we realize, ohhhhhhh, it's Gay Day. I don't recall (but it's been a long time for my short memory span) seeing much overly PDA. The one thing that did make my DH uncomfortable was wearing the red shirt.

So my suggestion to the OP is to find out if that is a tradition at WDW as well, to wear the red shirts and if your group does go that week, inform them of that tradition in case they want to avoid wearing the color. Honestly, I really don't see a problem with going, the article specifically mentioned that his report was for the Saturday MK event. So I think if you just go to a different park that day, your stay will probably be fairly typical of any other week (save for seas of red).

That's what we wanted to know. Thank you. And thank you to those that understood my question. I just wanted some basic info if that article was the exception or the rule.

I will take you at your word and just tell you that actually:

the article you linked is old and quite notorious online for being a gross misrepresentation of the typical gay days experience held by, well, pretty much any one else :confused3, at the time it was written or since.

If that is the main thing that got you worried, I would ignore it and go and have a nice vacation :goodvibes

annhjk said:
I don't have any issues with normal behavior/affection regardless of the preference. I asked specifically about "radical" issues that we've read about sticking to the park listed each day. I've been around same sex couples and don't have issues with it. If we're going to see 2 guys/girls with a family walking around is different than having radical clothing in our faces everywhere we go. I wasn't trying to offend people, just get some basic information so we can make an informed decision about when to go. Here's a link to an article that got us wondering - this is the behavior we're worried about.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

I can understand where you are comming from i live in s.f the gay pride weekend is known to have people in questionable costumes & clothes some have no clothes at all. However straight people do it to so its normal and everyone parties together. But I doubt those kind of attire will fly at disney so u should be good. Like others said they have families too with the same concerns.

Was there during Gay Days 2012. Avoided the crowds by not going to Gay Day park of the day; to be honest if I had not known what was going on I would have not have figured anything was different. The only thing that did stick was the plane flying over with the banner saying something like "its gay days".

There were no intense make outs, or shirtless men, or any other horror story you may think of. I don't even remember seeing a same sex couples holding hands.

When we opened AoA in May, we were caught smack in the middle of this. While I was nervous about seeing PDA's with same sex couples and not wanting my kids or nephews to see this (everyone is 7 years old or younger), we simply did not do MK on Saturday to avoid any issues. Needless to say we didn't see any PDA's and only saw a few guys being super flamboyant and being somewhat obnoxious, however kids couldn't tell. As far as they knew, it was a regular trip to Disney with no special events occurring. Having experienced this first-hand, I would definitely do it again.

A little research shows that was written in (or before) summer 2005 :). In fact, I think it used to be dated, although I could be wrong. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=831650

This isn't a criticism in ANY way. If you didn't already "know" it's at least seven years old (and refers to the behavior of a relatively small group), you wouldn't know.
I wish that the article still had an original publish date...that way it could be perceived correctly.

Doesn't mean people don't find the text or the implication offensive.
I have to say that my dd was never allowed to wear any shorts with printing on the back...and the Juicy brand was first on the no-no list!!!

You're still missing my point - I was providing context for why some people get on here and ask these questions. It doesn't make them in any way homophobic as some earlier posts suggested, it means they read something like this (or much worse, depending on the source) and they are not sure of what to expect. So no, the date really isn't at all relevant to that, especially when you see that it was written by an openly gay man on wdwinfo.com.

ETA - and no, it isn't more accurate to say that those are all references to that one blog. What is more accurate is to say exactly what I said. I realize you love attempting to correct people into your own mindset, but that isn't going to fly here.
Yes, the date is relevant...you have to realize that something written many years ago may not still be relevant. And I don't care who it was written by. I was around when that article first came out. And the backlash was incredible. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's what is so wonderful about these boards. Everyone should feel able to come here, ask a question and get an answer without fear of exactly this sort of thing happening.
Each family has different values. What works for your family may not work for my family...plain and simple. And just because it won't work for my family, doesn't mean it's wrong. It's just that we don't hold the same values. If a poster comes along and wants to know what is going to happen in MK on the day the Gay Days people have chosen MK as the park of the day, then it would behoove us to give that poster correct info.
Here's the thing....I always advise against going to the MK on a Sat...any Sat. Add in something else that is going to attract thousands more guests??? Yeah, so not going into that park. And it has absolutely nothing to do with who those guests are. I just don't want to deal with the crowds.

I don't want to see anyone involved in PDA....but, I have to endure it on every trip. I have to watch those scantily clad youngsters, going at it as if they were in a motel room. It's annoying.

A few years ago, we bought tickets for the Night of Joy. Well.....I have to say that I have never been so ready to leave a park as I was that night!!! It was held at DHS that year. At one point, my then 13 y/o dd turned to me and said...'Okay, I think this is a lesson in how not to behave out in public!!'. There were groups of teenage girls running all over the place, running up to people, screaming 'hugs for Jesus, hugs for Jesus!!!' Ah, get away from me please!!! And the screaming on the attractions??? Simply unbelievable. I have been to WDW during Pop Warner time, as well as with many Brazilian tour groups....these groups pale in comparison to the NoJ kids!!! Will never, ever go to that again!!! Those kids were out of control.

So, obviously, not every event is going to work for every person. My suggestion would be to avoid the preferred park of the day. There isn't much Disney can do...this isn't a Disney sanctioned event..they have nothing to do with it. The gay groups are staying at offsite hotels/resorts. And that's where most of the really unbelievable behaviour is happening.

I think it's weird that Pete, an openly gay man, and founder of this board, continues to recycle the same Gay Days article each year. Shouldn't a new review be written each year by someone from the Disboards team that has actually attended Gay Days since 2005? I mean, really.

I don't think he recycles it besides updating the article with the current year's dates. Although it would be nice to see an updated version to see if he thinks it is as bad as it was 7 years ago.

I think it's weird that Pete, an openly gay man, and founder of this board, continues to recycle the same Gay Days article each year. Shouldn't a new review be written each year by someone from the Disboards team that has actually attended Gay Days since 2005? I mean, really.

This was the article that popped into my head as soon as I saw the first post. I have no idea what he was trying to do when he wrote that "informative" piece but it is my opinion that his review has done a lot of damage. I understand that people who come to the DIS for information would trust that Pete was giving unbiased information. It would be beneficial if there were reviews by DIS team members on a yearly basis. I believe that if there were more articles from DIS folks the negative picture that Pete's article paits would be diminished.

I wish that the article still had an original publish date...that way it could be perceived correctly.

Yes, the date is relevant...you have to realize that something written many years ago may not still be relevant. And I don't care who it was written by. I was around when that article first came out. And the backlash was incredible. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

While I agree that the date is relevant I also believe that in this case the author is relevant as well. I also remember the year that article was published and the threads it inspired were crazy sad. I cannot understand why that article was published, he created so much unnecessary anxiety about Gay days, I believe that could have been avoided.

OP-There are always going to be displays that are unseemly but those displays are not confined to Gay couples. These awkward momnets.........and they are not all PDA's............just try to explain why some folks use offensive language, bellow at their kids, push others in line, slobber at the table, snap their fingers for a server, and belittle their spouses.......and not all will be at Disney world. As others have pointed out, as your children get older they are going to notice when people's behavior is not "family friendly". I would handle them all the same and explain to the kids what conduct is acceptable and what is not when out in public.

Inapprorpriate behaviour has nothing to do with sexual preference and everything to do with the individual.[/QUOTE]

THIS!:thumbsup2

AKK

You're still missing my point - I was providing context for why some people get on here and ask these questions. It doesn't make them in any way homophobic as some earlier posts suggested, it means they read something like this (or much worse, depending on the source) and they are not sure of what to expect. So no, the date really isn't at all relevant to that, especially when you see that it was written by an openly gay man on wdwinfo.com.

ETA - and no, it isn't more accurate to say that those are all references to that one blog. What is more accurate is to say exactly what I said. I realize you love attempting to correct people into your own mindset, but that isn't going to fly here.
Just for the record, I don't have a mindset - my mind changes constantly as it's exposed to new information and ideas - but my theory is to be openminded and yes, when it appears others aren't so inclined, to provide them with additional information.

The groups that are going for this event do not always stick to the schedule....other than Magic Kingdom Saturday. People are people, no matter what lifestyle choices that they make. I have seen some horribly offensive shirts, listened to two girls kissing and it sounded like they were trying to get taffy and marshmallows off their teeth and have seen men standing together in a "spooning" position while waiting for rides.....BUT I have also seen women with shorts so incredibly short that their butts were hanging out while their husbands were standing there keeping their butts warm for them with their hands. ;) I have also seen men hold their wife's breasts while standing in like and kissing on their necks in a way that should only happen in their hotel rooms. Some people like to draw attention to themselves and then there are some who just dont care.

I personally have been twice during this event (I do not support this lifestyle) and had days were nothing stood out and then other days (particularly at MK) where things were so extreme that I decided not to visit during this time again. And no, I dont hate/dislike gay people. I said I do not support their lifestyle so that the OP would know I understand their concerns and still noticed nothing most days.

Can you explain to me this lifestyle? Because my niece is a lesbian, engaged to be married. They have 2 children. One of my best friends from HS is a lesbian, in a civil union, and has 2 kids. My cousin is gay and in a partnership. As far as I can tell, their lifestyles include working, paying the bills, making sure their families are fed and clothed and the kids do well in school, and planning trips to Disney (at all times of the year). Sounds as boring as my life. Am I missing something?

We went during gay Days at Epcot this past year and met up with my cousin and several of his friends that were there specifically for the event. It was a wonderful day at the park and aside from being a little rowdy at the Rose and Crown that evening, I thought the whole day was appropriate for my eight year old. And on top of that, many people avoided the park that day due to the special event so it was a very light crowd day. A very fun park day for all of us and I'd reccomend it to anyone unless the person was entirely homophobic and couldn't stand the sight of two same sex people holding hands or very light shows of public affection.

OP, I will tell you the same thing here I told you in your thread on the Family board.

Every day is Gay Days at Disney. If you've been there before, you've seen plenty of gay couples.

Bet you didn't notice, did you? ;)

I hear a lot about either educating or explaining to children about same sex relationships. I can honestly say I have never had to explain things to my kids. My kids have never found it a big deal, because we have never seen it as a big deal. My kids know people are people no matter who they love.

There are many different people in this world and many of us have different views and beliefs but we are all human beings. There are some who are blind to only their way of life and could care less about the feelings of others. I have seen that on this thread and it's sad.

There are gay people at Disney parks every day. As stated in previous posts, there are also people from every other walk of life in those parks each day. Learn to live with it. If you can't then maybe you should stay at home and live in your own little world. I'm not directing this at the OP but people in general.

OP, I will tell you the same thing here I told you in your thread on the Family board.

you know, thats not the same as gay days.. there is a difference between gay families just going a long with everyone else and going with the flow and the "look at me im gay" mentality that can occur at gay days. while im not personally bothered by it, but that can make some people who arent used to it uncomfortable.

honestly on a different l note i feel these type of events are counterproductive to the equality movement. the whole wearing red to stand out thing ends up working in a negative way, rather then just melting in with everyone at disney and showing people that they are just like them, they are making themselves stand out. while 99 out of 100 might be having a good time just like everyone else but there is that one jerk who does something outlandish or offensive in a red shirt and is seen by joe from rural north Dakota who then goes home and writes on a message board about how out of control gays days were and ultimately generates topics like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter