• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gay couples on Disney Cruises - what's it like?

We just got off the Dream a couple of weeks ago. There were several gay/lesbian couples that we noticed - at least based on my straight version of gaydar. Having a gay daughter has kind of tuned us into being on the lookout. :) Wanted to say hello to some of them, but the opportunity just didn't present itself.

Can we request to seat with other same-sex couples for dinner? Will they do that? or it's too weird?

DW and I had a blast on the Dream. I did a back to back and kept my same servers (Garfield and Carlos are awesome!) during a random conversation with our head server Lubo I told him my wife was joining me on the second half of the cruise. He arranged a fabulous table. We actually had it to ourselves. The night we ate at Palo was fantastic. DW and I had a great view and Katerina, our server was superb. As for shows and Bingo we never felt left out heck if anything Marc-Andre, Allyson, Tina and Kelly made us feel like superstars whenever they saw us.
We saw plenty of gay & lesbian families. You'll be so overwhelmed by the ship (along with all the other first timers) that you won't have time to worry about anything else.
Have fun and enjoy your cruise!
Deepirate:

Can we request to seat with other same-sex couples for dinner? Will they do that? or it's too weird?

You can certainly put the request in. But same sex couples won't always translate into gay couples.

You might get some folks just travelling together who aren't "together". My great-grandmother and her daughter (my great-aunt) used to take a lot of cruises before the former passed on. Or you may get two friends on a "girls weekend" or something like that.

You might get some folks just travelling together who aren't "together". My great-grandmother and her daughter (my great-aunt) used to take a lot of cruises before the former passed on. Or you may get two friends on a "girls weekend" or something like that.

Exactly!!!

I am going on my first cruise in February and I am very excited especially after reading the replies to this thread. My partner has nothing but wonderful things to say about DCL and all of the activites for adults.

I know you posted this a month ago, but I am just seeing it and thought this might still help:

A good thing to do is to go on the meet thread for your cruise here on the DIS. There will often be other same sex couples on the thread, and/or others who re clearly not biased against you in any way.
I met my best friend on a DIS meet thread :goodvibes and by the cruise he and his then partner (now husband:goodvibes) knew of plenty of same sex couples and queer friendly straight people too to hang out with onboard :thumbsup2

A friend of ours is interested in doing a cruise, but he's not sold on the idea that he'd have any sort of fun on a Disney cruise. Any tips? :confused3

At first I was unsure about doing a Disney cruise since i thought it was just for kids but after talking to customers at my job who had no kids just couples they had a blast! I get to experience it for the first time in 6 days and I can not wait! This is my boyfriends first cruise ever too! I want to catch all the shows and do the Pirate party. I might even dress up as Belle on the last night. We are just doing a three day to get his sea legs. I love cruises

On Carnival they have 'friends of dorothy' meetings which are GLBT meetings and I have to say the last one last month on the Legend had multinights meetings normally I only see it once. I went once but will go again since I am bi and would like to meet up with like minded people!

If your friend sails with us hope he is put on our table since I think we will have a blast!!

Pam;)

We only cruise with DCL primarily because of the great experiences we have had. June 2010 we were married aboard the Wonder, it was truly magical. On our Jan 2011 cruise we were in Palo and half way through the meal began chatting with the female couple next to us who had been together for 17 years and the guys behind us were celebrating their 20th anniversary ! Enjoy, it will be great!!

Looking at booking a cruise for my DP and I soon. Looking at the 7 night Eastern Carib in May '13. It will be my second cruise and his first. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter