Gay active servicemembers convention set for WDW

Discussion in 'Gay and Lesbian at Disney' started by mikelan6, Feb 16, 2012.

1. mikelan6

mikelan6 World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

This was just reported in the Orlando Sentinel:

:yay:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. daannzzz

daannzzz OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled

Wow. That's terrific. It is all moving so fast. :)

4. DVCDan36

DVCDan36 Mouseketeer

I read this today and am glad they are being inclusive and offering a wonderful opporunity. Wish this was available when I was a soldier. I was sadden by the stupid responses from posters. But I guess that should not be a surprise. I only hope inclussion becomes the norm and not just required.

5. CamoMama

CamoMama DIS Veteran

That's awesome! I would love to attend, but am neither active duty any longer nor gay, so I probably wouldn't fit in too well. I'm thrilled that the military is finally getting rid of the antiquated and ridiculous rules.

6. Southern Voice

Southern Voice Earning My Ears

7. PHILCT

PHILCT DIS Veteran

I think this is so cool, and I admire them for inviting them to Shades of Green.

It is so nice for this to happen so soon after the repeal of DADT.

I didn't serve in the military, but I admire those who do, and did in the past.

I hope Disney throws them some extra pixie dust their way, and makes it a very special event for them this October.

----

Now if we can only get DOMA repealed next.

Phil

8. Chris2597

Chris2597 DIS Veteran

I actually think you are eligible for staying at the SOG in Sept and I believe in January as prior military. As long as you are honorably discharged. You can check the SOG website.

9. DVCDan36

DVCDan36 Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, eligibility is limited for SOG, Active Duty, Retirees, eligible Family Members, and sometimes Governement Employees (based on availablility). If CammoMamma does not fall into these cats, she would not be able to stay. Though I have heard in the past of some people obtaining the service through friends/family.

10. Chris2597

Chris2597 DIS Veteran

I noticed a special on the home page of SOG that stated during January and Sept they were offering the resort to honorably discharged vets.It is called "Salute to our Veterans".

11. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

They may need to update their home page - the deal seems to have been for September 2011 and January 2012 when you actually click on the link even though the banner says September 2012.

12. DVCDan36

DVCDan36 Mouseketeer

That is news to me and interesting since the SOG is an MWR program/NAF run facility that is entirely for the use of the Military and some DOD employees. Though I suppose I am not as up to date on the regulations since I have left military law.

13. Chris2597

Chris2597 DIS Veteran

The Salute to Vets is on a very limited basis. I didnt notice that it was from 2011.
    SOG offers the same benefits to DOD. The rate is based on grade and is a bit higher than active/retired military.