Gators in Bay Lake/7 Seas Lagoon - What's the truth?

Grew up in Florida. Not being an alarmist or anything, but just a word of caution...no matter how "small" you might think they are, just stay away. You wouldn't want to put their lightening speed to the test, if you know what I mean. And I wouldn't subscribe to the previous quote of "if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone" - that doesn't fly in their world.

Just sayin'.
True, I prefer to see them from a distance or from a dock or boat. But I don't think any of the lakes I used to swim in were certified gator-free.
Hopefully people just stay back and use some common sense. I was in a bit of a silly mood when I posted before -- what I meant to indicate was that I think it's safe to assume that if it is a lake in Florida, there is a gator in it, or sunning itself on a bank. If not, there either has been one there once, or will be in the future. I would never be surprised to see an alligator by/near/in a Florida lake. But they deserve their space, and I hope people give that to them, for everyone's sake.
Just figured I should be responsible for a moment so nobody rushes up to pet one or um, "hand feed" one based on my post. :bitelip:

Yes there are gators in the lakes. We stayed at the beach club this summer and we visited on a daily basis with the gator in the canal near the villas. It typically is loaded with fish and turtles but this year we had the extra surprise of a gator whom my son named "Sir Charles". A cast member indicated they watch them to see how they behave and how large they get before moving them. It is typically a 4 ft rule.

They are definitely in there. Here is a link to some of the pictures from my 2011 trip and the gator. My question is, I guess, how big do they "really" get and do they actually come on shore?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2751379

They do go on shore if it is not too steep of an enbankment. If you are near a shore with alligators in it, assume they could/will come on shore if they feel like it. Be especially wary of areas along the water with plants or debris. Gators can actually lunge pretty fast.

Have seen two alligators on shore.

One on the river bank between SSR and DTD. Cm's right there making sure nobody got close. It was a big one, the cm told me at least 8 feet. Just dozing in the sun quite content!

Saw another one on the beach in Barbados at CBR. A woman on the bus told me the cm's use marshmallows to lure them into the trap contraption.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Not much difference from the bison in Yellowstone. Aw, look at the cow. Go pet the cow. Bison chases kid/adult. Kid/adult gets gored.

i remember seeing numerous (dozens and dozens) of gators along the magnolia golf course back in the late 70's

that's why we had golf carts

Just you tube alligator in Splash Mountain and you'll see if they go ashore. It had to have been ashore somewhere to get in the Splash Mountain water...

Here are some links to various ones that I've found.

Splash Mountain Gator 1

Splash Mountain Gator 2

I had actually seen a link to one of this here on the Disboards one day. I am not the videographer of either video, just happened to find them. :)

While I have not seen an alligator in WDW myself after reading about the gator near the BC I got to wondering about the pathway from BW to DHS, the bank is not very high plus there is lots of brush on the other side of the walkway for a gator to hide in.

I will definately have my eyes peeled next time we walk to DHS

That's where I always watch closely. I live in Louisiana and when I was teen/young adult I swam in lakes that had gators. What was I thinking?:confused3

While I have not seen an alligator in WDW myself after reading about the gator near the BC I got to wondering about the pathway from BW to DHS, the bank is not very high plus there is lots of brush on the other side of the walkway for a gator to hide in.

I will definately have my eyes peeled next time we walk to DHS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter