• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gatlinburg TN

d1sneyf4n

DIS Veteran
Does anyone on here live in Gatlinburg TN or have you been there? What do you think...........

We went this past summer with our three and five year olds and really enjoyed ourselves. Spent the days in the park and nights enjoying the restaurants and entertainment.

We went this past summer with our three and five year olds and really enjoyed ourselves. Spent the days in the park and nights enjoying the restaurants and entertainment.

Pardon my ignorance but I know nothing about the area. You speak of a park.......what kind of park?

We go every year and LOVE it. We like to stay in Gatlinburg Falls resort. We enjoy walking the strip in Gatlinburg shopping. We go to Pigeon Forge and do Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede. We also go into the National Park and spend a day with a picnic lunch in Cades Cove. We also enjoy going to the Chimmneys and playing in the water and taking a picnic lunch to grill there.

We've been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge many times. We enjoy it and live close enough to where we can drive down for a long weekend on occasion. There is lot's of entertainment and plenty of restaurants. Dollywood and Splash Country are both there. We love going in the fall when the leaves are changing...so beautiful.

we use to go alot growing up and this past summer was my 1st time in years and my DS 1st time. Even though he was only 2 he loved the go carts and wanted to ride them everyday. We love the track park it has go carts and a kiddie land that my DS and nephew who was 4 loved. They even had go carts for my nephew to drive

Smoky Mountain National Park is the park I was referring to. There is lots to see between hiking and driving.

We got married at the Little Log Wedding Chapel back in 1996 and have been wanting to take the kids to Gatlinburg to see it and go to Dollywood and hike the national park.
When I priced it out it would cost us almost as much as going to WDW! We just wouldn't have to drive as far.
Any tips on cheap, clean places to stay for a family of 5? We'd probably be going in June when school lets out as our anniversary is 6/22!

Just want to give you all a little bit of info. on the area...we go there at least once a yr, sometimes 2 times a year as we only live about 1 and one half hr away. Hope you all dont think im being a know-it-all or smartelic, just trying to give some info.
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge Tn are two separate towns, but neighbor one another, there is about 5 mi difference in the two. Gatlinburg is good for shopping. Many different variety of shops thrown in with your usual run-of-the-mill tourist traps. There is the Ripley's Aquarium of the smokies their. They do serve alcohol in Gatlinburg restaurants, i think i heard somewhere that they are going to start serving in pigeon forge restaurants this year. used to pigeon forge didnt have alcohol. In Galinburg i have only stayed at Greystone Lodge at the Aquarium, it (obviously) is next door to the aquarium and is great due to its location if you have kids that want to go to the aquarium. It is reasonably priced, but not extremely fancy. They do have a fair continental breakfast. Other attractions besides the aquarium in "Gburg" is the 3 different Ripleys museum ( Ripleys believe it or not, ripleys odditorium and ripleys star car museum) there is also the new moonshine distillery that you can tour to see how moonshine is made, then sample and purchase the different types of moonshine.
Pigeon forge is more kid/family friendly and has more choices for restaurants. Dollywood is here as well as dixie stampede dolly's splash country waterpark. there is oooodddllles of mini golf and slick tracks/amusement ride. We've stayed at more hotels in Pigeon forge that Gburg. Comfort inn is fairly priced and clean, but last time i was there the staff was less than cordial. Willow Brook Lodge is a fav with us, right on the main strip, indoor and outdoor pool, outdoor pools has a big waterslide and a good breakfast included. Ultimate on our list is The Inn at Christmas Place. This place ROCKS!!! beautifully decorated, not over done on christmas or tacky at all. wonderfull breakfast buffet included (we're talking made to order omelets, ham, eggs, yogurt, fruit, hasbrowns, waffles, bacon, sausage, cereal, juices, coffees) indoor and outdoor pool with a slide. price is a little more expensive. lots of outlet malls here too. As for the Great Smoky mtns park, Cades cove is a must ! drive an 11 mile loop to look at what used to be a thriving township. lots of wildlife seen here, can bike and do short walks and have a picnic. lots of hiking trails other places throughout the park as well. I will give this word of warning, as of this past thursday (1-17-13) we have had MASSIVE amts of rain which has contributed to many rockslides and some roads being block through the park. check to make sure all roads on your route are accessible. Hope this has helped someone somehow :)

Lisa

I don't know when you plan on going, but if you go the weekend of Feb 15th, you will encounter a crowd of 14,000+ teens & chaperones for the annual Christian teen convention called Winterfest. Our youth group goes every year and we have to make reservations for a place to stay a year in advance. It's a crazy, packed weekend, but our kids love it! It just makes Gatlinburg VERY crowded..... :)

scbelleatheart said:
But this place looks awesome! I have never been but DS sent me this in a email.
http://www.cabinsforyou.com/copper_river.htm
I really want to rent this place for a few days for us and older kids (23-31). But now I have given away the house so you all will book it and I get shut out.:rotfl2:

Wow, that's beautiful! We took several family trips to the area when my brother and I were growing up, and we (DH, DS and I) are planning to take a trip this summer. We will most likely stay in a chalet like the one linked (only smaller ... though that indoor pool is tempting me to "steal" it, lol). There are tons of great deals to be had.

I'm actually in the process of planning our anniversary trip for August. We have been several times, but this time instead of staying in Pigeon Forge we are staying in Gatlinburg. Most everything in Pigeon Forge you have to drive to while Gatlinburg is very compact & you can just park & walk to everything. You can easily visit both towns since they are only a few miles apart & each one has some fun things to do & see. I just ordered my 2013 travel book from Gatlinburg as a matter of fact. Some of the things that we like to do are:

Dollywood in Pigeon Forge- I love this theme park!
Cades Cove- Is beautiful & interesting, but last time it was painfully crowded.
Roaring Fork- Like Cades Cove, but not nearly as crowded & we went the first time last trip & fell in love with it.
The National Park- Great for hiking & just exploring
Ole Smokey Mountain Moonshine Distillery- Fun, different & can't wait to buy some more since they don't sell it here yet.
Cherokee North Carolina is only about 1 1/2 hour drive from here & has a lot of Native American attractions. We have yet to visit here, but want to.

Other than that there are lots of shops, restaurants & attractions. The natural setting is an attraction within itself, imo. It is a great place to visit & my DH & I had such a good time when we went by ourselves two years ago, that we decided we would rather spend our 20th anniversary here over anywhere else. It can be a blast for family's or a great romantic getaway for couples. Research both websites & tripadvisor & I think you will get a really good idea of what to expect.

We've been a couple times and always rent a cabin from About The Smokies.

Keep in mind that you will pay a premium for parking downtown Gatlinburg. They have a "trolly", for lack of a better term, that you can purchase passes for and travel up and down the entire strip of town to get around cheaper and easier.

Love the Aquarium and Old Smokey Moonshine company.

Our last trip we drove the Roaring Forks motor trail that has a lot of pulloffs for pictures and exploring old cabins from around the area. We haven't made it down to Cherokee or Cades Cove yet, but everyone we've heard from give them both high marks. Cades Cove is one where you have a good chance of seeing wildlife early morning and around dusk.

We loved hiking on our last trip, and did the Rainbow Falls hiking trail (with my son in a backpack on my back the whole way). Long hike up and back down. 2.7 miles each way IIRC and somewhere around 700 - 1000 ft elevation change. Talk about a long hike...but you pass through some beautiful landscape on the way.

One recommendation I have is to get into the visitors center for Great Smokey Mountain National Park (same place you can purchase your trolley tickets) and pick up a book about the different roads and trails through the park. Lots of great information in it to help you plan when and where to go.

We love Gatlinburg! We got married & honeymooned there! :love:

We've been back a couple of times on family vacation as well and the kids really enjoy it!! There are great places to eat... the cabins are wonderful to stay in. There are some great attractions both there and in Pigeon Forge. :thumbsup2

I love Gatlinburg. I got married there in 2003 at the Hillbilly wedding chapel (not kidding). I also got the most expensive, unexpected souvenir ever. She is 9 yrs old now :) I think there was something in the water. Im afraid to go back...cant afford any more souvenirs like that at the moment :)

We are heading to Pigeon Forge this June and are staying at Riverstone Resort. We got a VRBO deal for a 2 bedroom condo for 200 a night, including all taxes and fees. Any good rafting in the area for beginners?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter