Gatlinburg, TN hotels

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
Just starting our search for a hotel for 2 adults in September. A quick run through we sea Bearskin Lodge, Park Vista, Hilton Garden Inn and Clarion. Any recommendations? Open to suggestions. Neither of us have ever been to the area.

My brother stayed at the Bearskin Lodge last year. He said it was pretty nice. I really like the location of the Clarion for my personal taste.

We usually stay in Pigeon Forge and drive up the mountain to Gatlinburg. We live about an hour away and go frequently for weekend trips.

Have fun!

Okay, we used to live near the area, and used to visit more often!

First, let us know kind of what you are looking for. What kind of accommodations and atmosphere. Rustic, or a bit more modern/upscale... an outdoors mountain vacation, or want to be right on the strip. Etc.

I have never stayed at this one before, but of the ones you mentioned, I like the Hilton Garden Inn. It is right in Gatlinburg... right out of their parking lot and up into the Mountains. But it is not right on that strip. If this matters, they seem to have some nice rooms/suites, some with fireplaces.

The Clarion should be nice. It is more of a hi-rise right on that 'strip'. Because of that, I don't think it has appealed as much to me.

I would rule out the Park Vista... (the big round one way up the hill) Last time I saw it it was just SO dated... not that nice... the heavy concrete balcony walls are just claustrophobic and really block the views, if you did happen to have a view. We looked at this hotel about ten years ago, as a place to host a big reunion event... have never been back up that road.

Like the prev. poster, when we stay overnight, we often stay there at Pigeon Forge, which has a lot to offer. You might not want to rule out Pigeon Forge.

My husband and I stayed at Zoders Inn a few years ago. It is an older motel (my parents honeymooned there back in the late 60s!) but clean, and all the rooms have balconies right on the creek. It was so relaxing to sit out there listening to the water.

The location is right on the edge of "the strip" so it was super walkable.

They also offer complimentary breakfast, wine and cheese in the evenings, and milk and cookies after that.

We loved it and would recommend it to anyone!

We normally stay in a cabin when we visit the Gatlinburg area, but, of those you mentioned, I've stayed at the Park Vista for a teachers' conference.

It was fine for our conference & served our needs well w/ several different meeting rooms & a huge ballroom.

But, if we were going as a family, I'd probably pick somewhere else. If I remember correctly (I was there for the conference in 2008), there's just not a lot of "atmosphere" or "ambience." The rooms were clean, & there was a nice large lobby. Our kids (DH & the kids went w/ me to the conference) enjoyed the indoor pool, but we've seen nicer. As another poster mentioned, it is a little dated.

The way the rooms all open to the center of the hotel & all the hallways are in a circle was kind of neat.

There are some hotels/resorts w/ balconies over the stream which is where we like to stay if we are staying in a hotel.

Thanks for the suggestion and thoughts so far. Keep them coming!

We are just not sure exactly what we are looking for. Sometimes, we think we know and wind up totally the opposite. We tend to just know when we find it. However, I would say close enough to walk to things. Does not have to be on the strip. I would also think it could be rustic but doesn't need to be.

We are looking for an area we have never been to. Have always heard great things about Gatlinburg, pigeon forge and think it looks intriguing. We want to have things to do but also relax. Preferably a hotel that if we wanted to hang out a bit, we could. We like to take walks, not big hikes.

We've had a rough year as my mom passed away in March after a very long illness and want to go escape!

Okay, we used to live near the area, and used to visit more often!

First, let us know kind of what you are looking for. What kind of accommodations and atmosphere. Rustic, or a bit more modern/upscale... an outdoors mountain vacation, or want to be right on the strip. Etc.

I have never stayed at this one before, but of the ones you mentioned, I like the Hilton Garden Inn. It is right in Gatlinburg... right out of their parking lot and up into the Mountains. But it is not right on that strip. If this matters, they seem to have some nice rooms/suites, some with fireplaces.

The Clarion should be nice. It is more of a hi-rise right on that 'strip'. Because of that, I don't think it has appealed as much to me.

I would rule out the Park Vista... (the big round one way up the hill) Last time I saw it it was just SO dated... not that nice... the heavy concrete balcony walls are just claustrophobic and really block the views, if you did happen to have a view. We looked at this hotel about ten years ago, as a place to host a big reunion event... have never been back up that road.

Like the prev. poster, when we stay overnight, we often stay there at Pigeon Forge, which has a lot to offer. You might not want to rule out Pigeon Forge.

What would you recommend in pigeon forge?

We have stayed at the Best Western Twin Islands many times. It is nothing fancy, but it is nice, and has many rooms right on the creek that goes through town. And it is within walking distance of the shops and restaurants.

If you haven't already done so, order a pigeon forge travel planner. It will give you listings for the hotels in both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Also, if you are interested there are many cabins for rent in the area.

Me again. Yes, search for the Pigeon Forge Tourist web-site at mypigeonforge.com.

I do not know if this hotel is for you... This is where we ended up hosting our big reunion event. And it was really great. They had just completed and opened their conference facilities. It is a few blocks back off the Pigeon Forge Strip. The room furnishings are not spectacular, but 'nice', and you do have a full kitchenette. Nice grounds and pool area, just to sit out, if you don't swim. We have returned here a few times since then. http://www.mainstaypigeonforge.com/

I think that the only catch here is that to get the larger sized room with a small balcony, you have to get the two-queen. Not the small King Suite. I would call and ask if this were still true.

These next two are ones that we have noticed, but have not actually stayed at. If you want to really be 'at the mountains', you will want to be further into Pigeon Forge and/or Gatlinburg.

If I am remembering correctly, this one is located as you pull in to the Pigeon Forge area. It is where The Apple Barn (The Applewood Grill) is located. Nice spot, but before you actually get into Pigeon Forge and the Mountains. http://comfortinnapplevalley.com/

And, another one in this area, where the big Tanger Shopping Outlets are... http://fairfieldinnpigeonforge.com/

Park Vista has just been completely redone. We really like staying there in the summer because it's so quite and the views are amazing. I wouldn't rule it out. The indoor pool there is fun for kids too.

We also like Edge Water because of the location and the rooms are decent. The pool is decent.

We have stayed at the Clarion several times too. They have suites there that are nice and it's in a good location too. The pool is not great.

Thanks for all of the input. We find that choosing a hotel is so hard and we usually overthink it. However, we've had some "clunkers" and try to avoid that.

Park Vista has just been completely redone. We really like staying there in the summer because it's so quite and the views are amazing. I wouldn't rule it out. The indoor pool there is fun for kids too. We also like Edge Water because of the location and the rooms are decent. The pool is decent. We have stayed at the Clarion several times too. They have suites there that are nice and it's in a good location too. The pool is not great.

Good to know the Park Vista has been redone. It was at the top of my list, but I kept seeing so many bad reviews with pics of how run down and dirty it was becoming that I was too scared to try it.

We stayed at Park Vista last summer. It was recently redone. We chose a room with a mountain view. The views were nice. The balcony was small, but that didn't bother us.

The Gatlinburg shuttle also runs to Park Vista. We liked being able to hop on and take that v. driving down the hill and paying to park if we were doing things in town.

We didn't hit the pool, but there is a restaurant in the hotel if you didn't want to get out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter