Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area

We go up to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge most years and my brother/SIL live about 30 minutes away. The aquarium is great, but is a little pricey. Just be prepared and know the prices if you are trying to keep cost down!

The Arts & Crafts community is fun to drive around and see the so hops. There are some shops the little ones may enjoy too.

On the strip in Gatlinburg, there are quite a few fun shops that are good to window shop in as well. We usually spend a morning or afternoon wandering around doing that, tasting yummy treat samples, playing with gadgets, and never spending a thing!

If you are doing any hiking, try to get going early, as some of the popular trails, their parking areas fill up quickly.

And, check out the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. It's right off the main drag in Gatlinburg. You drive through it, but can get out and explore in a number of spots as well. It is part of the National Park.

If I think of others, I'll let you know!

What about WonderWorks? My DH read about it and wants to go there. Is it a whole day event? Or, should I ask, is it worth it?

We're heading up to the area next month for Spring Break. Our plan right now is one day at Dollywood, one in the Great Smokies, and one at WonderWorks before heading to Nashville for a few days.

What about WonderWorks? My DH read about it and wants to go there. Is it a whole day event? Or, should I ask, is it worth it?

We're heading up to the area next month for Spring Break. Our plan right now is one day at Dollywood, one in the Great Smokies, and one at WonderWorks before heading to Nashville for a few days.

We did Wonderworks a few years ago. At the time they were having a buy one day get one free deal. We went 2 days in a row and I still had to drag the family away so that we could go home. I would say its more than enough to do for a whole day

We did Wonderworks a few years ago. At the time they were having a buy one day get one free deal. We went 2 days in a row and I still had to drag the family away so that we could go home. I would say its more than enough to do for a whole day

LOVE Wonderworks my kids call it the upside-down house. It is diffinitely worth doing and there are usually coupons to be found.

Cades Cove for sure - pack a picnic lunch. If you want, try some outlet shopping in Pigeon Force/Sevierville. If you go there, I HIGHLY recommend eating at the Apple Barn. The Aquarium in Gatlinburg.

We live about an hour away and go down often. Cades Cove is a beautiful drive or bike ride. The Apple Barn is a good family style dining but we prefer The Old Mill family style dinning.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but can someone tell me what the weather is typically like at the end of March. We are looking for something to do for Spring Break and PF looks perfect for us.

In March you can experience all seasons in 1 week. But mostly it will be warm during the day and very chilly at night, especially in the mountains.

And, check out the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. It's right off the main drag in Gatlinburg. You drive through it, but can get out and explore in a number of spots as well. It is part of the National Park.

The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is beautiful in all seasons. It amazes me to find such peace and quite right off the main road of Gatlinburg.

Also some mentioned Chimney Tops picnic area. We love to stop at KFC and picnic at Chimney Tops on our way over to Cherokee Indian Reservation.

We go to the Smokies every year, and camp in the park near Gatlinburg. We don't do a lot of the commercial things in Gatlinburg, or area. Our main things are seeing the mountains, hiking, biking in Cades Cove, etc.

We did go on the *bobsleds* that you mentioned up Ski Mtn. but it has been several years so don't know if they're still there.

Also, if you like horse rides, they have those available right at the park entrance.

It's a beautiful place, have a nice trip.

North of Mouse--

Could you tell me where you camp near Gatlinburg. We have a TT and DH would be on the road all the time, if he could get me to be away from my DGD more. We freguent WDW splitting our time between FW and DVC. DH loves the mountains, but FW has me so spoiled I am not happy with many campgrounds :rotfl:
Would be interested in something near Gatlinburg.

Thanks

One of the best hikes we've ever done is the Alum Cave Bluffs. Laurel falls is also pretty popular.

Hi everyone

We too are planning a trip to the Smokies in March, DH informed me the national park won't open "officially" until the week we plan to arrive
And we are not able to reserve a spot :(
I am also looking for other campgrounds, several are not open .. I'm guessing because of the chances of having snow & ice ..

We have camped in April and woke up to snow :)

Thanks again for all the help
Trish

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

For those that have suggested Dollywood, is there something special about it besides being a nice amusement park?

The reason I ask is, it would cost our family about $200 to go there for the day, and we live approximately 90 minutes from Cedar Point, so usually go up there once every summer.

If it's just a nice amusement park, I think I'm probably going to skip it. Not that my girls wouldn't enjoy it I'm sure, but thinking there could be lots of other things to spend $200 on that we haven't seen/done.

I was really hoping to keep this whole trip under $1600, so I've priced out everything below.

So far, I've made a list of possible attractions to see, which include

Cades cove/sightseeing - Free
The Ripley Aquarium - $76
Alpine sleds - $28
Horseback riding - $120
Tram/Skylift - $40
Wonderworks - $74
Dixie Stampede - $170

If we stay 5 nights, the cabin which I'm looking at is going to cost $900.

We would probably stock up the cabin's kitchen for breakfast, then eat 1 big meal out each day, and either do a light meal in evening, or just eat back at the cabin.. so let's assume $40 per day eating out, and $25 per day for cabin food. That would give me approximately $400 for food.

So we're looking at approximately $300 for attractions, which isn't much... but based on my list above, what would you consider the must-see's and what would be ones that aren't worth it?

Thanks, :)

For those that have suggested Dollywood, is there something special about it besides being a nice amusement park?

The reason I ask is, it would cost our family about $200 to go there for the day, and we live approximately 90 minutes from Cedar Point, so usually go up there once every summer.

If it's just a nice amusement park, I think I'm probably going to skip it. Not that my girls wouldn't enjoy it I'm sure, but thinking there could be lots of other things to spend $200 on that we haven't seen/done.

I was really hoping to keep this whole trip under $1600, so I've priced out everything below.

Alpine sleds - $28
Horseback riding - $120
Tram/Skylift - $40
Wonderworks - $74
Dixie Stampede - $170

We would probably stock up the cabin's kitchen for breakfast, then eat 1 big meal out each day, and either do a light meal in evening, or just eat back at the cabin.. so let's assume $40 per day eating out, and $25 per day for cabin food. That would give me approximately $400 for food.

So we're looking at approximately $300 for attractions, which isn't much... but based on my list above, what would you consider the must-see's and what would be ones that aren't worth it?

I think it really depends on your familiy. For my family, we would much rather do Dollywood than Dixie Stampede and/or Wonderworks. To us, it was more than just a "nice" amusement park. We don't live far from Six Flags so we have been there, Canobie Lake Park, WDW MANY times etc and my children loved it. It was very different. We found it to be very clean, the food was good (and different). The shops were great and the people were fabulous as well. Some of the rides were very different than what we have experienced elsewhere. Check out the website and YouTube for some further info.

Thanks for the tip by an earlier poster about Groupon for the area. I'm going to sign up for it. I hadn't thought about that.

Definitely make sure you get in a drive and picnic around the park, it is free and a lot of fun.

I forget what time of year you are going. We usually go in the summer. Make sure to bring swimsuits and towels as my children love to play in the streams by the picnic area.

Any restaurant recommendations? I saw there is a Cracker Barrel (DD's favorite restaurant!). But are there any local spots that are worth visiting? We tend to enjoy patronizing individual places rather than chain restaurants. Except for Cracker Barrel, that is!

Now THAT is in plentifuls as I don't remember names I'm going to look through my "box" there is one on the strip as you go out of Gatlinburg into the State Park that is a "must do" for the area it is TS with large portions any meal!! Fudge&candy shoppes O yummy!! Many dinner shows with very reasonable prices!! I shall reply this evening (home) with name promise!!! So excited to help someone in a region I know we'll as this board has been a huge help to me!!

Hi- I live in TN and we go to the Gatlinburg area a couple of times a year. We are actually headed there this weekend.
I normally try to stay in a timeshare either ebay or resortcerts, so we have a kitchen. We also get groupons or deals on halfoffdepot. We are doing the aquarium and wonderworks but only because I got deals on them. Also we plan to hit a couple of the Ripley's attractions that were on groupon.
This trip I am going to the Dixie Stampede, but only b/c my family wants to go. I think it is pricey, but if you want to know if it is worth it I can let you know in a week. I would prefer Dollywood since it is all day versus a few hours.
Restaurants- We have tried lots over the years and most don't have high quality or customer service since they are touristy and don't necessarily try to get repeat customers. In most towns we try to go nonchains but not in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. My brother likes the apple barn and we will eat at Applewood with him. To me it is okay. If you go lunch is way cheaper (except on Sunday.)

Any restaurant recommendations? I saw there is a Cracker Barrel (DD's favorite restaurant!). But are there any local spots that are worth visiting? We tend to enjoy patronizing individual places rather than chain restaurants. Except for Cracker Barrel, that is!

We like the Apple Barn and Old Mill Restaurants. Also, the there is a Brewery/Pub typle place (I think it is called the Old Smokey Brewery or something like that) in the center of Gatlinburg that is great. We try to stay away from the chain restaurants.

**FlapJack's** That's one I couldn't remember lol I enjoyed checking my "box" as we are not heading to mtns til fall its WDW for spring yet it reminded me just how much there really is between those 2 states We love adventuring from NC to Tn!! Wish I could feed you all info out of this 2013 guide tho my best recommend is definitely give yourself free time as there prob is as much within that area as WDW just no one web page to community it all-Teens here were excited to remember the indoor sky diving is a must do on our next-Good Luck

My top local must do restaurants are The Pancake Pantry ( I know I already mentioned that, but you really should try it), people keep mentioning The Old Mill, and it is good, and also something you won't find anywhere else, but you should really try The Pottery House across the street. It's more of a local place. With fantastic food. The Peddler in Gatlinburg has been there forever and ever. It's very good, but it's a little pricey. Those are the only ones I can really think of. There are very few non chain restaurants in that area. And as for The Dixie Stampede, personally, I love it, but it is a little cheesy and a little over the top. There are chicken races, and wooden horse races. Also, the food isn't anything to write home about (except the soup. I LOVE that soup!) and there's no silverware. So if that doesn't sound like something your group would enjoy, I would skip it. Dollywood is more than a nice amusement park. There's a lot of mountain history showcased there. And demonstrations of things that are lost arts these days in Craftman's Valley. There's blacksmithing, and soap making and all kinds of other things that you won't really see anywhere else.

I didnt read all of the posts, but here is my 2cents.

We go to the area each summer, 3 years in a row now and have this July booked already. We arent ourdoorsy/hikers, etc and I dont care for all the shows. But, we always stay at the Wyndham Smoky Mtn. Resort. They have on onsite waterpark, arcade, restaurant, etc. We get a 2-3 bedroom and they have a full kitchen and Im able to cook as much or as little as I want.

But, if you dont want something like that to stay at...I think you can get a daily pass if you wanted. Just an idea.

Alpine sleds - $28
Horseback riding - $120
Tram/Skylift - $40
Wonderworks - $74
Dixie Stampede - $170

If you are doing the Alpine Sleds at Ober Gatlinburg, you might want to plan on more than that. We went last year and are planning on it again this summer. You can buy an all day pass and it is so worth it. You will want to ride the Alpine Slides more than once. On top of that, they have some water ride slides that you don't really get wet on. My kids had a blast on them. On a side note, since my youngest is under 7, I had to ride with her on all rides. It wasn't so much fun for me on the water rides...I got much wetter than anyone else. The whole weight being in the back of the raft I think. If I were by myself or the weight was a bit more distributed, I don't think I would of gotten so wet. It wasn't like I was soaked, but walking around in wet jeans is not my idea of a good time. Our cabin was just below Ober Gatlinburg, so we drove up. I would consider driving up anyway. The price to park is considerably cheaper than taking the tram up.

Wonderworks is a must for my family. My kids LOVED it. They are already talking about what they want to do again. My boys especially liked the ropes course. It is included in your admission price and was actually a good time. I went up with them and it was a cool experience.

The Aquarium was so good. I wasn't sure what to expect with it being a Ripley's. I tend to think some of the Ripley's stuff is a rip-off for what you pay. But the Aquarium was well worth it. We ended up buying a multi-experience ticket with our Aquarium ticket. We added three more experiences on it. We went to the Mirror Maze (not worth it), 3D movie (not worth it), and the Davy Crockett Put-Put (was okay). This year we are only getting the aquarium pass.

I would skip Dixie Stampede and the horseback riding. I think that is a bit pricey considering you are only wanting to spend $300. Both of that will put a huge dent in your budget.

I know you can leave and enter Wonderworks multiple times on the day of your ticket. I would think about a picnic that day to keep the food costs down. If you do go to Ober Gatlinburg for the day, I would do a picnic lunch that day too. It is really quite pretty up there and you can find places to sit and enjoy the view and lunch at the same time. You will have to pay for parking again if you drive off.

Another free experience is going to Clingmans Dome. It was quite a hike up to it, but worth it if it isn't cloudy. The view is amazing. That would be another picnic kind of day. You will want to bring your own drinks and snacks, because there is no where to buy any of that up there.

Can anyone tell me how long an average day at the Aquarium is? Full day? Half day? Trying to plan!! Thanks! This thread is super duper helpful for those of us who have never stayed in Gatlinburg!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter