Gate checking a stroller

disnut1149

DIS Veteran
Hi
We're flying Air Tran and I know they charge for the check in luggage now. Does anyone know if they charge if you gate check a stroller? Thanks!!

No charge for a gate checked stroller. Done it the last couple of years on Airtran - no problem.

That said...I'm sure the airlines will consider it next...I mean what is left for them to possible charge for? Some allready charge for seat selection, checked bags, soft drinks, using the toilet and a Chinese airline is considering a standing-room-only section. Give me a break.... :confused3

For most airlines, you can gate check something with little hassle. The overhead compartments get so full, they are usually more than happy to check whatever you want to your final destination. It's a nice way to get around the baggage fees, if you've got the time to get your bag through security, then gate check it when you are loading onto the plane.

I am flying AirTran, too, and just checked their policies yesterday on this:

Directly from their website...

"You may bring a stroller to the gate for ease of travel through the airport. The stroller may be gate checked just before boarding the plane and will be returned to the aircraft jet way upon arrival at your destination. Car seats and strollers may be checked free of charge; any other items are subject to standard baggage fees (i.e., portable crib, high chair, etc.)."

...I'm a little apprehensive to check his car seat, but I might ask if I can take it to be gate checked with me as I believe at 5 months he will still be in his carseat on his stroller.

Anyone checked a car seat before? I worry about it getting broken from mishandling.

Anyone checked a car seat before? I worry about it getting broken from mishandling.

Take it with you to the gate and check it there. You are right to be worried about it being broken (or scarier - being compromised in some way that you can't see). (I'm assuming you aren't using it on the plane because your child is under age 2 and you haven't purchased a seat?)

There's more of a chance of something happening when you just outright check something at checkin time, as then you'll have to wait for the item to show up on the conveyor belt. At least with gate checking, they'll hand it to you personally as you step off the plane, even if it takes a couple of minutes. Most of the damage I've ever encountered with checking bags/large items comes from the baggage grunts tossing the stuff carelessly on the conveyor belt, and damaging things. Here, your odds are a little better on not getting damaged.

Okay, I'm taking it to the gate with us.

I didn't like the idea of handing it over at the checkin desk and not seeing it again until Orlando. Like PP said-- who knows what could happen to it in the interim?

Someone on another board (more baby geared) also said some airlines will allow you to take the seat onboard if the plane isn't full. Not crossing my fingers but that would be nice for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter