Gas Mileage Question

twanner

Need more Totoro!
Okay, I'm trying to figure out which driving route will use more gas. If we go via highway driving we reach our destination approximately 1 hour sooner and have driven 342 miles, 5 hours and 48 minutes. If we go the "back roads" we will reach or destination aproximately one hour later (give or take some minutes) and have driven 276 miles, 6 hours and 55 minutes. This is probably an obvious question, but for some reason I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Math was not my best subject.:confused3
Can anyone out there clear this up for me? By the way, we're driving from Upstate NY to Idlewild Amusement PArk in Ligonier, PA!

Math is not one of my strong suits either...but, the highway would still be better on gas mileage. It is the stop lights, stop signs, accelarting, decelerating, that use up a lot of mileage. Make sure your tires are properly inflated too. Have fun!

another math-challenged girl here but I think you would use more gas on the back roads because you would be stopping more frequently than the highway.......going at a slower speed on the back road, more lights, pedestrians, etc... HTH

What is your cars highway and city gas mileage. Divide the 342 by the highway number and the 276 by the city number. This should show you how much gas you would us. Then compare the saving vs an extra 1 hour and 7 minutes on in the car.

For example:
Highway 25 MPH
City 17 MPH

342/25 = 13.68 gallons
276/17 = 16.24 gallons

In this example it would be cheaper to drive farther and save the time.

IMHO I would do the highway even it it cost a couple extra gallons. Time is money.

What is your cars highway and city gas mileage. Divide the 342 by the highway number and the 276 by the city number. This should show you how much gas you would us. Then compare the saving vs an extra 1 hour and 7 minutes on in the car.

For example:
Highway 25 MPH
City 17 MPH

342/25 = 13.68 gallons
276/17 = 16.24 gallons

In this example it would be cheaper to drive farther and save the time.

IMHO I would do the highway even it it cost a couple extra gallons. Time is money.

That's a good example, but I think your MPG figures are really unrealistic. Most cars don't have that much of a swing in MPG between city and highway driving...its more like 4-5 MPG.

Let's look at 20 MPG city versus 25 MPG (which are pretty accurate for my 2004 Pacifica)

342/25 = 13.68 gallons
276/20 = 13.8 gallons

Its nearly a wash.

Personally, I think you really only need to ask yourself is it worth the extra TIME needed to drive the back roads. To save maybe one gallon of gas, $3.00 or so, its just not worth it. The aggravation of driving slower would make me nuts.

Actually, we're back roads kinda people---when we have the time to spend. I was just trying to figure out economically if it made much difference. Thanks!

That's a good example, but I think your MPG figures are really unrealistic. Most cars don't have that much of a swing in MPG between city and highway driving...its more like 4-5 MPG.

I think they were just using those numbers as a random example to show some math.

I'd do highway, though. I like backroads too but if you HAVE a destination and are not just trying to kill time, I'd try to get there ASAP! :thumbsup2

When I drive on the highway and use cruise control, my mileage is nearly 32 mpg even though the official highway mileage average for my car model is rated 30 (city is 23)

You can really save gas on the highway if you travel far enough.

Another thing to take into consideration is using a credit card that give you points back with your gas purchases and towards random purchases while on a trip. You are going to make frequent stops anyway so why not earn money back on your purchases. I know Discover offers one of the best gas card choices on the market. Just an idea for you.

The only way to be sure is to drive it both ways because all driving is a mix and not city or highway.

Well since the difference is negligible, I say take the fastest route. I would want to get to Idlewild as fast as my car could get me there! :drive: I love Idlewild and I hope to get back there this summer! :jumping2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter