• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gas hitting 9.00 a gallon by X-mas 2008.

After hearing things like this Am I the only one that thinks back to the old GM pavillion at Epcot that had the water engine movie? :confused3

Then, it was yeah right, that'll happen....now?

Just wondered if I was the only one that remembered that....;)

Now I sound like my Grandma.:bitelip:

I believe everyone gets scared sbout the way things are going in the economy. We have all heard what the media says "gas will be x amount of dollars by x date. I think it is really RUDE for the people on this board to make remarks on a member based on posts. I used to enjoy reading these boards all the time for budget tips, but now I just believe there are too many judgmental people looking to blast other members.

I really don't believe that it will increase much more. Demand is decreasing due to nice weather lowering heating fuel need.

OT - How come whenever the barrel increased you see an immediate increase of price at the pumps. But, never a decrease at the pumps when the price falls?:furious:

Gas prices in foreign countries are often much higher than in ours because of the taxes imposed to fund social programs that we do not have. They may be paying more for gas, but are not paying as much as we are here for other things such as health care.

I heard from "them" this morning also that driving has drastically decreased. Haven't "they" told us if we stop using so much the cost will go down?

I don't like to get into politics on this forum, but IMO when certain sources make outrageous comments such as gas will be $9/ gallon by December, I consider if they are fanning the flames of a hot topic campaign issue that is beneficial to one party.

I hate the gas prices as much as anyone else, but I wonder if they will bring about the American entrepreneurial capitalist in a few who will discover a feasible energy alternative. There are already some good ideas floating around. If money can be made, Americans are pretty darn good at figuring out how to do it. :thumbsup2

And I agree with you. As much as I do believe in the concept of peak oil (that we're using the stuff faster than we can get it out of the ground), I do believe that we can be pretty darned resourceful when push comes to shove.

$4 a gallon is the tipping point....the point where Americans are more than a little uneasy in filling up those tanks. Look at the sales data coming from the US Automakers.....they are getting *crushed*. SUV sales have plummeted. People are heading to dealers in droves hoping to trade in their SUVs finding that they are now tens of thousands of dollars upside down in their gas guzzlers.

The Memorial Day peak has hit and oil prices are declining and people are changing their driving habits. However, we are entering hurricane season and depending on how the wind blows (pun intended), the price could go to $5/gallon by end of the summer with no change in the oil prices. I'm praying that all the hurricanes miss land, steer clear of the Gulf and just head out to the Atlantic. :duck:

And the last time I checked, $4.20 is not over $5. :)
And I think the average gas price for 87 is still just under $4 a gallon in the US. It was $3.87 on my way in this morning, and my local price tends to be very close to the national average.

I know.:confused3 I was just pointing out that while it is not yet $5 a gallon we are not far off.

Look at the sales data coming from the US Automakers.....they are getting *crushed*. SUV sales have plummeted. People are heading to dealers in droves hoping to trade in their SUVs finding that they are now tens of thousands of dollars upside down in their gas guzzlers.

My father was one of them. Last month he went looking for a new "truck" as he does every 2 years or so. They were going to give him $11k for his 06 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition (8cyl no less) He went back a few weeks later and offered him $6k because there is no market for that vehicle. So he ate the difference and bought the new Forester because he was affraid that his truck was depreciate more in upcoming weeks.

I myself went out and bought the Nissan Versa last august because I commute to school and work. We needed a good car that was great for commuting and great on gas. I fit all 3 of my girls and my 6'5 DH with plenty of room to spare. My husband drives a 02 Grand Cherokee that we let sit at home now that I am out of school. We have saved almost $200 in 3 weeks by keeping it home during the day. I can not wait to see how much we save during the summer. But I do reccomend a versa to anyone anyday! They are such great cars and at most cost me $45 to fill. Here in CT we are about $4.30 for gas (regular) and it rises almost daily. I am hoping that we see a decline soon. I will be happy maybe at $3.25. The whole gas craze has me bothered but all that I can do to help is drive less and its working.

And who might "they" be?

Little green men?:rotfl2:

I think it may go up, but "they" is not exactly a good reference. Based on things I have read I would not be surprised if $4 gas is here to stay with "drifts" to $5. (All bets are OFF is there is a major hurricane this year!)

There was an article in the Atlanta paper this week where they interviewed several SUV owners trying to sell. All of them had "sob" stories about how hard it was to sell, how long thier SUV had been listed etc. They gave the price these folks were asking. Then they showed the Kelly Blue Book price... There was a disconnect... Asking price was HIGHER then the Blue Book price. Most of these people were upside down on their SUVs.

For years on this very board I have heard "I HAVE to have an SUV, I can't drive anything smaller" And now.... I see lots of "I am parking that SUV" hmm.....

If gas hits $9 a gallon, I seriously doubt driving vs. flying to disney will be our biggest problem. The economy would come to a screeching halt and most of us will be just struggling to survive, let along go to disney.

I myself went out and bought the Nissan Versa last august because I commute to school and work. We needed a good car that was great for commuting and great on gas. I fit all 3 of my girls and my 6'5 DH with plenty of room to spare. My husband drives a 02 Grand Cherokee that we let sit at home now that I am out of school. We have saved almost $200 in 3 weeks by keeping it home during the day. I can not wait to see how much we save during the summer. But I do reccomend a versa to anyone anyday! They are such great cars and at most cost me $45 to fill. Here in CT we are about $4.30 for gas (regular) and it rises almost daily. I am hoping that we see a decline soon. I will be happy maybe at $3.25. The whole gas craze has me bothered but all that I can do to help is drive less and its working.

Just want to chime in about the Nissan Versa. My friend bought one several months ago and just raves about it!!! She loves it and has had no problems with it. It is wonderful on gas and comfy to ride in. So, I just wanted to chime in with my vote on the Versa!!!:thumbsup2

I don't know about $9 a gallon, I do know that I just opened my gas bill. Last month was a whopping $421, this month $574!!!!!!! I just told my husband that I guess my summer will be spent at home because I can no longer afford to drive. I just cancelled my kids swimming lessons because it's too far......

Just want to chime in about the Nissan Versa. My friend bought one several months ago and just raves about it!!! She loves it and has had no problems with it. It is wonderful on gas and comfy to ride in. So, I just wanted to chime in with my vote on the Versa!!!

Oh yes its quite comfy! I drove to get my dad (3 hours) and then drove to see my brother (4 hours) and then in the same day drove back. It was great!!! It handles well in the snow, rain and sleet. You barely notice that you are driving at all. My only gripe is that I have had the windshield replaced 2 times since August of 07 due to stress on the glass. But Nissan handled it all so well!

I have been wrong before, but my thinking is that we have been using gas for a very long time now and it has taken it this long to hit $4.00 a gallon there is NO WAY in the next 7 months it will rise another $5.00. If it does then I will just buy a horse and buggy and become AMISH. We have a whole community just down the road...they seem like really nice people and they have really good food..I buy it all the time..:goodvibes

It's this kind of speculation that drives fear way up and in turn helps to drive oil prices way up.

If gas hits $9 a gallon, I seriously doubt driving vs. flying to disney will be our biggest problem. The economy would come to a screeching halt and most of us will be just struggling to survive, let along go to disney.

I agree. How can people afford to get to work if they are making minimum wage or not much higher?

Let me guess the Sky is falling as well, The only way Gas will be 9.00$ a gallon is "If" we get pummeled with Multiple Hurricanes that halt Oil Production..That is a Big "if" though, I bet the Gov't would tap into their oil reserves before it ever came to that

$9 gas by Christmas where are you living. if this is true then the world that you are living in is in worse condition than the one that we live in that has $4 gas.
Now back to reality where yes we are in one bad recession and it will get better with time and no matter what happens in November things will not turn around 1-2-3. things like this take time to resolve themselves and this too will pass. I remember hearing my parents tell us that things were bad and that they always get better and that they do.
So lets all get read to deal with some bad and make as much good that we can do to make things right.

We use to drive to disney 1,500 miles save money. Now that is no longer an option. They are talking 9.00 a gallon by x-mas 2008. Hope the airlines don't kill us too much.

:stir: :stir: :stir: This is another reason gas is so high! Chill out! I smell a TROLL??!!!!

We use to drive to disney 1,500 miles save money. Now that is no longer an option. They are talking 9.00 a gallon by x-mas 2008. Hope the airlines don't kill us too much.

As I explained to DS11. Airplanes use gas too. Their prices go up, as our price to drive goes up.

If the gas does ever go to $9 a gallon, we'll deal with it, just like we're dealing with it now. I walk to work, I decided not to enroll my kids in camps, we'll do fun stuff around the house. I drive into town only twice a month on average for groceries. One tank of gas lasts about 6 weeks for me. I've always done these things.. now, it just makes sense to other people why I do these things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter