Gas cost

Rland8228

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone who has been down recent could tell me what their gas cost was. I hadnt searched the boards yet and im sorry. I am currently potty training our Autistic four year old and have a teething one year old :headache:... We live in PA and are towing a 2004 KZ Frontier with our 2014 Dodge ram. We have not taken it out yet and this will be our first trip with her. We have towed before but with other things.

I am prepping for our trip in September and wanted to start preparing for gas costs. We are also sadly out weighing the trailer vs the AOA suites as we have agreed now to take my younger brother with us to assist with the children.

Thanks for your help!

Gas Buddy is showing average gas prices in the Lake Buena Vista area to be $2.05-$2.15 range roughly.

From cincy area to fort along I-75 we payed 1.95 (avg) to 2.29 (one time). Fort area is 2.10

The average price for regular in the Orlando metro area today is $2.106. I live in North Florida in the panhandle and we are paying $2.25 on average. The on property gas stations at WDW tend to be a little bit lower than out on I4 / I75. Always high on the Turnpike....

86 days and counting.......

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Transportation/gasstations.htm

Last edited:
Just be aware that fuel prices can change quickly. We've seen it go up .30 or more in a two week period - always comes down much more slowly! :( A lot can happen by Sept. - have my doubts it will go much lower though before starting its upward trend again - roller coaster!

We are also sadly out weighing the trailer vs the AOA suites as we have agreed now to take my younger brother with us to assist with the children.
We do this dance every time I'm planning a trip. Is it cheaper to stay in a value (or even moderate) than it is to spend the extra fuel to tow a trailer down? I'm not sure where you live in PA, but you are probably close to the same 1000 mile, one way trip I have. My calculations usually come down to it being slightly cheaper to drive a car down (vs tow a camper) and stay in a Value. The deciding factor is food. Staying in a Value, you're forced to eat somewhere (and pay for it). Even counter service everyday can add up fast. We generally eat most breakfasts at the camper, a few lunches and about half our dinners. That makes towing the camper down about $500 cheaper (or more).

As for gas prices? I can't help out much. I live in Illinois (one of the highest gas prices) right next to Missouri (one of the lowest), but neither are a state you will drive through (unless you get really lost).

j

No it's been that way for years.

I think they make a living ripping off the foreign visitors who don't do the quick currency conversion in their head correctly.

Bama Ed

We do this dance every time I'm planning a trip. Is it cheaper to stay in a value (or even moderate) than it is to spend the extra fuel to tow a trailer down? I'm not sure where you live in PA, but you are probably close to the same 1000 mile, one way trip I have. My calculations usually come down to it being slightly cheaper to drive a car down (vs tow a camper) and stay in a Value. The deciding factor is food. Staying in a Value, you're forced to eat somewhere (and pay for it). Even counter service everyday can add up fast. We generally eat most breakfasts at the camper, a few lunches and about half our dinners. That makes towing the camper down about $500 cheaper (or more).
We tend to do a similar type of comparison. For us though it starts with the staying at a resort such as AoA and FLYING down versus Driving and staying at the fort. DW doesn't travel well without a bathroom. Having one RIGHT behind us is awesome. The cost of Flying versus driving is just about a wash when you consider we won't do the "No car" while there because we do stuff off of property too.

The DW has been getting better with the bathroom thing to the point she is now considering doing the drive in her Van instead of my truck (with camper) because we can do it quicker too. She will drive the truck but not towing the TT. In her Van (which is much more comfortable for the kids) we could swap turns. My fear is that when I am driving, she will rest/sleep, but when she is driving, I will have to stay awake to navigate and keep her awake. Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess. :)

We tend to do a similar type of comparison. For us though it starts with the staying at a resort such as AoA and FLYING down versus Driving and staying at the fort. DW doesn't travel well without a bathroom. Having one RIGHT behind us is awesome. The cost of Flying versus driving is just about a wash when you consider we won't do the "No car" while there because we do stuff off of property too.

The DW has been getting better with the bathroom thing to the point she is now considering doing the drive in her Van instead of my truck (with camper) because we can do it quicker too. She will drive the truck but not towing the TT. In her Van (which is much more comfortable for the kids) we could swap turns. My fear is that when I am driving, she will rest/sleep, but when she is driving, I will have to stay awake to navigate and keep her awake. Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess. :)

I was hoping you would comment Peg110... When I wrote this I should have been more specific I was looking for the total cost for gas. How much do you guys typically spend for gas for your trip?

See my biggest issue is, I have to get the trailer inspected, its my first time really taking a travel trailer anywhere. I have this huge fear of driving and a tire blowing out or something like that as well as I feel like it will take us so much longer to get down there.

We also got this idea to take my younger brother with us to help with the kids. I only thought of AoA because, 1. With DS Autism he needs space to run around in. 2. He loves cars and nemo right now.

But again I feel like I am just again missing out on the fort which will be four years in a row now lol. I know the fort will always be there but I just have dreamed of being there.

someone make up my mind for me lol

When I wrote this I should have been more specific I was looking for the total cost for gas. How much do you guys typically spend for gas for your trip?
Raw numbers for my 2000 mile round trip.

Towing:
2000 mile / 9.5 mpg = 210.5 gallons @ $2.25/gallon (safe, high side average) = $473 (using $2.20/gallon makes it about $450)

Taking the car:
2000 miles / 24 mpg = 83 gallons @ $2.20/gallon = $182.6

Flying 3 people from St Louis to MCO = $1205 :crazy2: (I just plugged in a Sat- following Sun flight on Southwest for mid-September)

Flying has never been a realistic option for us. I hate the 17-18 hour drive, but I'd rather have the extra $700-1000 to spend at WDW.

I have a hard enough time on my own. It would probably be scary if I started helping anyone else. :P

j

Raw numbers for my 2000 mile round trip.

Towing:
2000 mile / 9.5 mpg = 210.5 gallons @ $2.25/gallon (safe, high side average) = $473 (using $2.20/gallon makes it about $450)

Taking the car:
2000 miles / 24 mpg = 83 gallons @ $2.20/gallon = $182.6

Flying 3 people from St Louis to MCO = $1205 :crazy2: (I just plugged in a Sat- following Sun flight on Southwest for mid-September)

Flying has never been a realistic option for us. I hate the 17-18 hour drive, but I'd rather have the extra $700-1000 to spend at WDW.

I have a hard enough time on my own. It would probably be scary if I started helping anyone else. :P

j

I completely agree I will probably never fly unless I am never in debt and have the extra money... and with the way my life is that will probably be never lol...

We always drive plus DH parents live in NC so Its probably our new mid stop point.

I just really am having a rough time making my mind up. Our camper is only 25 feet and and with a one year old on the move and a four year old with autism its a hard decision!

I do 2000 miles myself from VA. I budget for 200 gallons of fuel pulling the camper with 4 people in the car. That is 450-500 for the trip depending on prices. When I look at flights I am looking at 125-179 per person to fly, plus I then have to add in boarding the dogs. Travel is shorter...most of the time....but not when your flight is delayed for 5.5 hours. I see the RV travel as a journey of its own and one to work into the vacation. We have lunch stops planned, overnight stops planned and such to make the trip down and back enjoyable.

I was hoping you would comment Peg110... When I wrote this I should have been more specific I was looking for the total cost for gas. How much do you guys typically spend for gas for your trip?

See my biggest issue is, I have to get the trailer inspected, its my first time really taking a travel trailer anywhere. I have this huge fear of driving and a tire blowing out or something like that as well as I feel like it will take us so much longer to get down there.

We also got this idea to take my younger brother with us to help with the kids. I only thought of AoA because, 1. With DS Autism he needs space to run around in. 2. He loves cars and nemo right now.

But again I feel like I am just again missing out on the fort which will be four years in a row now lol. I know the fort will always be there but I just have dreamed of being there.

Our first trip to the Fort in 2012 was with our Ford F-150 towing our 27 foot TT (Coachman Capri). The truck itself normally (not towing) got about 15 - 18 MPG and upwards of 25 MPG on highway, so I estimated that we'd get about 10 MPG towing (long distance). With approximately 1000 miles one way, and gas prices higher I used an estimate of $5.00 per gallon (that's when gas at home was closing in on $4/gallon). Doing the math
  • 1000 Miles @ 10 mpg = 100 gallons
  • 100 gallons @ $5.00/gallon = $500 (each way)
So that made my round trip ~ $1000.00.
We "boondock" on our way down (Usually lower Virginia and then again just outside of the Orlando Area) so no camping costs along the way. Comparing to round trip tickets for 4 from Philly to Orlando at anywhere from $1200 - $2500 the drive is an easy choice for us.

Our trip numbers didn't quite pan out like I had hoped. Our F150 got more like 5.5 MPG (Ugh!) although it had no real issues towing. The price of gas however was MUCH lower and on average I want to say we were paying around $2.50 - $3.00/gallon, so it was still not too bad.

While maintenance on the truck wasn't an issue (it was actually fairly new) the TT was a 2005. We had it several times on local trips but this was the first long haul. All you can do is try and make sure it's up to par. Tires will go flat even on new ones. Batteries will die too. Chains break, etc... things happen and you cannot stop it. Common sense things will go a long way. Check the tires, rims, cables, batteries, lights, etc... Having Roadside assistance from AAA or better yet Good Sam (for RVers) is a good idea. We didn't have Good Sam but we didn't need it. I do have it now though. I actually have their insurance for our RV (It was actually the best price too). It's wise to have some extra money just in case there is an issue though. Even if it's a credit card that you don't want to use (maybe it's a high interest rate or whatever). I have also found that while nobody wants an issue in their travel, sometimes, it's those "Issues" that are most memorable and bring on fond memories. Of course not so much when they occur.

We have thought of the AoA in the past when they had Free Dining, but once you add everything up, the Fort (for us) is still a better option.

Does the $1205 include a vehicle rental? For us, even if we fly, we want a vehicle while we are there as we do non-disney stuff too. As far as the drive time, the funny thing is, is that we flew once from Philly. Our flight was scheduled for like 8 AM. We ended up going down the night before, staying in a hotel that allowed us to leave our vehicle in their lot during our trip (free of charge) and provided a shuttle to the airport. So there is also added $$$ (slightly more to stay in hotel versus the Long term parking at Philly Airport). You have check-in 2 hours before flight to get through all the security. (if you have excess baggage you have to pay MORE $$$$). Our flight got delayed and we didn't get out until after noon. Meals in the Airport add up to more $$$$, plus limited things to keep you entertained/occupied. Got on the plane, taxied out to the runway - we were like 8th in line.. (ugh) more delay, now stuck on plane. Finally got to MCO. By the time we got the shuttle to get to the Hertz rental place (it's not on the Airport property... We didn't know that ahead of time either), it was 10 PM at night.

So when we drive, we leave the night after work/school to get about 5 - 7 hours on the road (to really get below DC in off hours), and pull over for the night. Then we spend the next day driving almost to the Fort, and pull over for the night (we could make it the whole way but who wants to pay for a full day at the fort to pull in at 9 or 10 pm at night and THEN try and set up). Then we get up early the next morning..... less than 1 hour drive to Fort and check-in.

Plus the drive also has some sight seeing and entertainment on it's own too. Well at least for everyone else. I am stuck doing all the driving. :guilty: For us though, the savings are well worth extra time and minor aggravations.

Does the $1205 include a vehicle rental? For us, even if we fly, we want a vehicle while we are there as we do non-disney stuff too. As far as the drive time,
The $1205 was just airfare. The 2 times I flew to WDW, we didn't get a car... Well, sort of. One time I few down for the Rolex 24 hour race in Daytona. Flew into MCO, rented an SUV to get to Daytona and then finished off the trip with a couple of nights at CBR. The other time we stayed at SSR in my race team owners condo. We flew into MCO and my team owner had a limo transport us to and from WDW. (There's a reason he could afford to own a 4 car race team) Didn't have a car on site.

As for maintenance/on the road issues, I have had 4 trailer blowouts on my campers in 15 years. And that's many trips each year, many of them 1000 mile trips to Florida or the SE/gulf coast. I already have 22 nights camped in 2016 and I'm going out for 9 more in 2 weeks.

Don't let the fear of on the road issues scare you away from a trip. Get good road side assistance (like Paul suggested) AND practice jacking and changing a trailer tire at home so you know what to do. There are also neat devices you drive the trailer onto that eliminate the need to jack the trailer.

Other than flat tires, I have never had an on-the-road trailer issue that required me to get emergency service. Everything could get resolved when we got to our destination or back home. And I have towed thousands of miles each year (more like 10s of thousands) between camping and racing all over the country.

j

There are also neat devices you drive the trailer onto that eliminate the need to jack the trailer.

To go along with what Teamubr said, I have a cordless 1/2" craftsman impact and a trailer aid tire ramp for changing a flat, it's safer than getting under a camper to place a jack beside the interstate.
20160205_154037_zpsbkrsxmaz.jpg

Them two tools will make changing a flat a less than 4 minute job!

Thanks everyone for your advice, I was up for awhile last night really trying to think about everything. I had read a lot of reviews of AOA and people say its very noisy and crowded. While I do think DS4 would love the characters, DH and I agreed we are just not into the menus at the food court and we have a pool at home that they can swim in all the time.

I think for our sanity we are either going to bring the camper down or stay in a cabin. I just think for piece of mind giving DS the room to run around in and have his own things and not need to worry if he is being too loud or if he does have a breakdown. This is an entirely new journey for us and will be our first vacation with all of us so I am a little nervous.

Hopefully everything will work out, so we will either be in the cabins or in our camper...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter