Garmin Question

MickeyMomTo2

Lauren S. @baseballsbows
I am in week 8 of a C25K, and my ultimate goal is the Disney Princess Half in 2011. As a birthday present for myself and a prize for finishing my C25K, I am looking at the Garmin 205 and 305. They appear to be the same, except the 305 has a heart rate monitor. Even though I am new to running, I have exercised for years, and I have never used a heart rate monitor. Is it worth the extra $$ (it's a $20 difference on amazon). Will I want to use it in my training?

Any opinions on these products? The reviews seem to be good, but I would love to hear from any of you who have one.

Thanks so much!

I am also new to running. I'm on the seventh week of C25K and just bought myself the 305 as a reward/motivation for sticking with an exercise program longer than I ever have. That said, I've had my 305 for 1 day. I used it yesterday for the first time. I liked the heart rate monitor because I can connect the 305 to my laptop and download my results and will be able to see progress (hopefully lots of it). I don't know if the 205 has it or not, but the 305 has virtual partner that competes with you. Pretty cool.

I think one of the other small differences is in the accessories...ex: foot pod...not sure if it works with the 205 - just got my 305 also, so really still learning it myself

I'd say if it won't break the budget, the upgrade is only $20 and you may appreciate it...if it were A LOT more, I'd research it more

I have the 305 and :love::love::love: it. I wasn't sure about the HR monitor at first, but it is really worth it. I believe it is how it calculates your calorie burn. I love being able to upload everything to my laptop and compare runs.

If it is only $20 more, I would go for it. Good luck, congrats on the C25k so far, and I am sure this new toy will help you get to the Princess in 2011.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have decided that for only $20, it's definitely worth it to get the heart rate monitor. I have four more runs to go in my C25K, and then I am going to order it as my prize!

I just saw this thread and looked up the Garmin 305. Wow I didn't even know such a thing existed!! I am now getting into running and (like the OP) my goal is to do the Princess half Marathon next year.

Is the normal price $160??? That's what it says on amazon right now, but it says $300 is the "retail" price. Is this a good price right now if I wanted one? Or does it typically stay around $160? It seems really reasonable for something that does all it says it does.

$160 is about right. They were $300 when they came out, I got mine last year from Best Buy for $159. Best money I have spent, I don't know what I would do without it.

Another one here who love, love, loves my Garmin. I've got the 205, but started training with a Polar HR monitor and still have that. I just know you will love the freedom the Garmin gives you as you put in those steps out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter