Galveston Transportation Questions

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
We just booked a last minute Disney Cruise (my first one!!!) out of Galveston and are flying Southwest into Houston Hobby. I was told that the Disney transportation only goes to & from Houston Intercontinental. We are flying in a day before the trip and thought about getting a hotel that night either at or near HC, so we can take the Disney bus from there. My question is the return. If we take the Disney transportation back to HC, how far is Hobby from there? Are there shuttles?

Hobby is about an hour south of IAH. You would need to arrange a shuttle service (SuperShuttle, etc).

I would just arrange your own shuttle back to Hobby.

OP: HOU is closer to the Port of Galveston than IAH. Your current plan involves alot of backtracking.

Woody

The good news is that you have booked a flight into the airport that is closest to the port. :thumbsup2 The bad news is that Disney ended transportation to and from that airport earlier this year. :(

It's unfortunate that the transportation options are so limited, but you are at least closer, where it would probably be as cost effective to do this on your own than it would be to try and coordinate with the Disney transfers, and it will save you some time.

There is a great thread called All Things Galveston that has some suggestions for alternate transportation. Just be aware that when the thread was started DCL was offering transfers from both airports so there's some stuff in there that is now no longer valid. Good luck - it's a tricky problem for lots of people, which is a shame, but I hope you find something that can work for you. :wizard:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988332

We just booked a last minute Disney Cruise (my first one!!!) out of Galveston and are flying Southwest into Houston Hobby. I was told that the Disney transportation only goes to & from Houston Intercontinental. We are flying in a day before the trip and thought about getting a hotel that night either at or near HC, so we can take the Disney bus from there. My question is the return. If we take the Disney transportation back to HC, how far is Hobby from there? Are there shuttles?

I would suggest getting a one way car rental and just doing the drive to port. It was super easy and I did this on my own (travelled solo). It's a nice drive, and you really don't need to be worried about the 'traffic'. Simple simple drive. And the car rental tends to be on the cheaper side.

Who did you rent from. We only found enterprise and they wanted to charge us a one way fee.

I believe Enterprise is the only rental in Galveston, and I believe they no longer allow the one way rentals.

Who did you rent from. We only found enterprise and they wanted to charge us a one way fee.

I forget who I rented with. I would have to go back through my VISA bills to find out. BUT, I know that when I arrived at the airport, there were about 5 or 6 different places (I flew into Hobby). They were all across from the luggage carousel.

They charged me a one way rental fee as well. It was quite minimal, around $25 or $30. I had my car for just over 2 days as I went down early. Booking a shuttle would have cost me far more than what I paid for the rental, so it was a better option for me.

Google car rental places in Galveston, there were a couple (I know Enterprise is one of them, and that may be who I used).

Has anyone used Affordable Houston Limo Services. I got a great quote from them but cannot find any reviews of them. When I called them the guy that answered the phone tonight was extremely personable so, so far a great experience. They don't take payment ahead of time and will send me a confirmation via text. One of my concerns is were traveling during hurricane season so he said if we have any weather delays all we need to do is call them and they will accommodate the ships schedule.
Any reviews would be great. The rate was incredible so I'm always leery of a good thing.

I checked with SuperShuttle and they said they no longer have shared vans to/from Hobby. The town cars are $110 each way. I also called Galveston Cruise Shuttle and they do not offer shared vans, but rather town cars at $110+.

A cab from port to Hobby cost us $95 plus tip in December. That's what we're planning on doing next month as well. It was very convenient, no trouble getting a cab, we had a minivan.

I booked their private car for $110 one way. Fortunately, I have family that will be picking us up when we get back....

Called Enterprise and a one way rental (Compact car) picking up at Hobby and returning in Galveston for 2 days is $260. That option is out.

I would suggest getting a one way car rental and just doing the drive to port. It was super easy and I did this on my own (travelled solo). It's a nice drive, and you really don't need to be worried about the 'traffic'. Simple simple drive. And the car rental tends to be on the cheaper side.

$260 for a compact car for 2 days one way.:headache:

Called Enterprise and a one way rental (Compact car) picking up at Hobby and returning in Galveston for 2 days is $260. That option is out.

Some of the folks on my cruise are doing an 8 day rental as it was much cheaper. Almost all are staying somewhere in Galveston the night before the cruise that offers cheap or free parking.

Some of the folks on my cruise are doing an 8 day rental as it was much cheaper. Almost all are staying somewhere in Galveston the night before the cruise that offers cheap or free parking.

We looked at that option to. $412.46 for the entire rental period, not including parking costs. We would only have the car for 2 days prior to the cruise, then returning it back to the airport as soon as we get off the boat.:confused3

A cab from port to Hobby cost us $95 plus tip in December. That's what we're planning on doing next month as well. It was very convenient, no trouble getting a cab, we had a minivan.

Did you reserve the cab ahead of time or just get in the taxi line at the port? What about from airport to port - did you reserve or just wait in line? It seems like the cab is the cheapest rate I can find. However, I would be willing to pay a little more to have a car waiting for us.

Thanks!

We looked at that option to. $412.46 for the entire rental period, not including parking costs. We would only have the car for 2 days prior to the cruise, then returning it back to the airport as soon as we get off the boat.:confused3

Hello! We are sailing on the Oct 5th cruise, arriving Hobby on Friday evening. My family of 4 is staying at Hotel Galvez and they have free parking for the length of the cruise and Disney will shuttle you to port on Saturday morning included in room charge. We used the "wendy" offer from Budget home page and have an intermediate SUV (ford escape) for 8 nights total with all taxed and fees for $245. I did exhaustive comparisons and this worked best for us. We don't fly out until 1:30 on the 12th so we will have our own car to kill a bit of time in Galveston instead of sitting at Hobby.

I hope this might help!:thumbsup2

Did you reserve the cab ahead of time or just get in the taxi line at the port? What about from airport to port - did you reserve or just wait in line? It seems like the cab is the cheapest rate I can find. However, I would be willing to pay a little more to have a car waiting for us.

Thanks!

I just went up to a taxi waiting outside the port and asked how much to take us to hobby. They said it was a flat rate of $95. It was definitely the cheapest option I've seen.

Going to Galveston, we stayed the night before at the Holiday Inn Sunspree we used a car service, can't remember the name right now, but I could check if you needed it and they met us at baggage claim, were pretty friendly and took us in an old crappy Lincoln Navigator and it was $140. It was ok but the car stunk a little and driver was in a super hurry, literally through our bags on the sidewalk and didn't even wait for a tip. When we were leaving the port we called like we were told and they called us back and said they were going to be over an hour late. I didn't want to sit at the port with my toddler for an extra hour even though we had time with our flights so I approached a taxi and was very happy with it. The driver was pleasant, taxis was clean, we comfortably fit. Definitely going that way this time.

Apparently Enterprise doesn't want to make up their mind. I just called and asked about a 1 day 1 way rental from HOU to Galveston and they told me they don't do one ways anymore. :confused3 . If I give you my well priced shuttle and you decide to use them will you promise to let me know how it went? :thumbsup2

Okay only because you promise...I have a roundtrip quote of $145 for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) from Cool Tours Galveston

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter