• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gallstones: surgery, recovery, diet!

kwitcherkicken99

Sleep keeps me pretty. Caffeine keeps me nice!
Well, I just found out that I have two 1cm big gallstones floating around in my belly.

While I'm glad we have FINALLY found an answer to my year long battle with reflux-like symptoms, I have no idea what to expect as far as the surgery is concerned.

How long is average recovery for the laproscopic procedure?

What are some types of dietary management after the removal of my gallbladder?

Well, I just found out that I have two 1cm big gallstones floating around in my belly.

While I'm glad we have FINALLY found an answer to my year long battle with reflux-like symptoms, I have no idea what to expect as far as the surgery is concerned.

How long is average recovery for the laproscopic procedure?

What are some types of dietary management after the removal of my gallbladder?

The recovery is generally quick. I had surgery on Thursday and was back teaching Kindergarten on Monday!

It is an easy procedure. The most important thing is post surgery introduce fatty foods very slowly. Too much fat too soon will cause diarrhea. It has been 15 years and I still can't eat super rich meals - which is fine since I don't need to eat them. One example is I get sick from the McDonald's breakfast meal.

Since I had a lot of reflux-like symptoms I cut out a darn good chunk of everything that wasn't rabbit food.

I'll have to be extra careful now!

Also, I'm hoping I can be back to work after a couple of days as well. I know I'm pushing, but we do have a 3 day weekend this weekend that I would like to use to my advantage...

I would get a second opinion.

I did not think that large (more than 1/4 inch) gallstones would cause problems. Only the little ones that might get into and clog a tube and then that gives you pain resembling reflux pain or more likely excruciating pain.

I am having pain with this. Localized pain just below the breastbone.

I can't get comfortable when I sit or lay down. I'm nauseated all the time - after I eat, drink, whatever. My throat has been swelling due to an increase in the pressure in my stomach. My belly is swollen.

I haven't met with a surgeon yet - and they intend to do an endoscopy to check for anything else, but this is it.

I had problems for over 5 years, but nothing that pointed towards gallstones. I went the end of September for a HIDA scan, found out my gallbladder was working at a zero %, had that on a Monday, the following Tuesday went to see surgeon, thursday had surgery only to find out a had a huge mass covering my gall bladder and 5 stones, I was back to work on Tuesday, we had Monday off

My recovery was longer, but that may just be me. It took a while to work with foods that I could eat and those that were no longer able to stay in my diet.

I know this sounds weird, but it is very very common, I can not eat iceberg lettuce or salads with with it in there. I thought I was weird, but I guess it is very common.

Also, phantom gallbladder pain: after your gallbladder is out you get phantom pains where the gallbladder used to be. Mine are very often and hurt a lot. Some people don't get them at all.

Bile salts: ask your dr. to see if you can take them with recovery. I wish I knew about them when I got mine out. They have helped many of my friends.

Hope you feel better soon and that the procedure goes smoothly.

Everyone is different, but my DH went back to work after the weekend (surgery was on a Thurs I think). He comes out of anesthesia like he's taken a nap so we were home really quickly afterwards. He ate whatever he wanted (including tacos for dinner the day he came home) and never had phantom pain or any other of the issues that you can have.

It is an easy procedure. The most important thing is post surgery introduce fatty foods very slowly. Too much fat too soon will cause diarrhea. It has been 15 years and I still can't eat super rich meals - which is fine since I don't need to eat them. One example is I get sick from the McDonald's breakfast meal.

I don't have any trouble with fatty foods :) Everyone is different and I know they did warn me about it, but I have zero trouble. Surgery in 2005. :)

i had mine removed back in the 5th grade. I did have complications with the stones... (had one block a duct, ended up with a sudo-cyst...) the surgery itself was pretty easy, easy enough i ended up overdoing it that day.

One thing I remember (and still kinda have issues with when i eat too much fat) is transfered pain. I didn't/don't feel the pain in the belly anymore, it is in my shoulder. so weird, but true.

p.s. that sounds like classic gallbladder issues, to the one that discribed their symptoms.

for the first few months I stuck with the fat free diet, but then my mom got tired of it, and made me go back to our fast food diet. outside of the first week, I've not had too much of a trouble with the runs after too much fat. outside of breakfast items... that can cause me troubles. :confused3

you'll be fine, if the three day weekend is a monday off, and you get this done on friday, you should feel fine to return to work on tuesday if all goes well.

Surgery on Thurs out of hospital on Friday rode the harley 30 miles home then went out riding that nightrode prolly 200 miles all told. Saturday left for minnasota to take DD back to Mayo clinic about 900 mile ride from my house.

I had my gallbladder removed in Nov. and it was the best thing I ever did! I had it done on a Thursday and was back to work Tues. I would say the biggest problem for me was some constipation that was worse pain then the surgery. It had gotten bad and I was at work.

I do have issues with Fatty foods but not all the time and nothing that I haven't been able to deal with. But boy no more reflux no more pain under the ribcage and less gas problems all the way around.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter