• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Galloway marathon training question: run/walk ratio confusion

sunshine girl

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to figure out Galloway's run/walk ratio recommendations. He says the following:

"Run walk ratio should correspond to the pace used. Here are suggested strategies: 9 min/mi: run 4 min / walk 1 min (4/1); 10 min/mi: 3/1..." and so forth.

My question is, by "the pace used" does he mean my pace when I'm running a mile, or the my pace when I'm run/walking a mile? Like, if my usual RUN pace is 9min/mile without any walking, then I should do the 4/1 ratio?

Because my running pace is one thing, BUT my pace is obviously going to be much slower if I incorporate walking. I just don't know which he means by "the pace used" in this case. He doesn't specify in the plan.

This should be easy and yet... hm. I've always used Higdon in the past, but was thinking of trying Galloway, if I can figure it out!

Would it help it I said it really does not matter...go with what feels natural for you. I can tell you that these are suggested ratios and that there is no absolute here. Adding, you will soon find that walking a minute does not change the overall pace drastically... So use either one as a starting point. If it is easier to go with the pace you are running, start with that ratio. Answering your specific question... go with a 4:1. It is actually one of the easier ratios to follow and has one big advantage over most others... Your walk will always start on the 4 or 9 minute and runs on the 5 or 10.

Just as information, Jeff does not follow these guidelines all the time. I ran a while with him in the W&D and he was run/walking 30 seconds/30 seconds. Probably not what you are wanting to hear.

At one time I think I figured out that it was the overall pace you wanted to have at the end of the race. Although it really depends on how fast you run or walk though if you have that pace or not.

As was mentioned by Charles, I have seen Jeff using 1 minute run and 1 minute walk for at least 3 of the past few marathons.

I wound up using distance instead of time for intervals. It was just easier to keep track of everything that way.

At one time I think I figured out that it was the overall pace you wanted to have at the end of the race. Although it really depends on how fast you run or walk though if you have that pace or not.

As was mentioned by Charles, I have seen Jeff using 1 minute run and 1 minute walk for at least 3 of the past few marathons.

I wound up using distance instead of time for intervals. It was just easier to keep track of everything that way.

I generally run to the mile mark and walk a minute myself. Much easier to manage.... It is a little longer run that suggested, but honestly, its all about what you train for.

I'm a group leader in my local Galloway group. Generally speaking, he's referring to your target pace; i.e. the pace you want to be running. The 9:00 group is targeting a 9:00 mile for their race pace, and they run 4:00/walk 1:00. They also do their long runs 2:00 slower than that pace, so they aim for an overall 11:00 pace on long runs (with walk breaks included). That time increases as the temperature increases.

But as Coach and others have said, unless you're in a structured group, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER! Do whatever works for you. Jeff is doing most of his marathons either 1/1 or :30/:30 now, and still posting some decent times. It just means he's running a LOT faster during that run interval.

Jackie

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info. It does make sense just to go with whatever works for me, which is pretty much what I've been doing.

I go a lot slower (in total) when incorporate the walking, so far. Maybe when I get up in the higher distances it'll even out or prove to be a benefit. But so far, on runs up to13 miles, adding the walk breaks has just slowed me down. But 26.2 is a whole different scenario, which is why I want to give it a shot!

Thanks though, this clarifies things!

I'm a group leader in my local Galloway group. Generally speaking, he's referring to your target pace; i.e. the pace you want to be running. The 9:00 group is targeting a 9:00 mile for their race pace, and they run 4:00/walk 1:00. They also do their long runs 2:00 slower than that pace, so they aim for an overall 11:00 pace on long runs (with walk breaks included). That time increases as the temperature increases.

But as Coach and others have said, unless you're in a structured group, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER! Do whatever works for you. Jeff is doing most of his marathons either 1/1 or :30/:30 now, and still posting some decent times. It just means he's running a LOT faster during that run interval.

Jackie

:confused3 9:00 mile for their race pace so run 4:00/walk 1:00 but at what pace does one run for 4:00 then what pace does one walk for 1:00?

Does this mean one must run 4:00 @ a 8mpm pace then walk 1:00 @ a 10mpm pace to average out a 9:00 pace overall? :confused3

:confused3 9:00 mile for their race pace so run 4:00/walk 1:00 but at what pace does one run for 4:00 then what pace does one walk for 1:00?

Does this mean one must run 4:00 @ a 8mpm pace then walk 1:00 @ a 10mpm pace to average out a 9:00 pace overall? :confused3

No, Your 8mpm run, 10mpm walk would be for a 1/1 ratio. For a 4/1 ratio, if you run 8mpm, you could walk at about a 18mpm.

In my last half marathon, I averaged about a 13mpm. I did real close to 1/1 and run about a 10:55mpm and walked a 16:14mpm

I've decided to do a 9/1 for the first half or so of my long runs. This past weekend I did 14 miles with the first 8 miles doing a 9/1 run/walk, and the last 6 miles were not difficult. Yup go with what is comfortable.

I have several long races (2 HMs and 1 FM) before WDWM and I want to show up healthy for each one. I'll be doing run/walk on all long runs.

I've decided to do a 9/1 for the first half or so of my long runs. This past weekend I did 14 miles with the first 8 miles doing a 9/1 run/walk, and the last 6 miles were not difficult. Yup go with what is comfortable.

I have several long races (2 HMs and 1 FM) before WDWM and I want to show up healthy for each one. I'll be doing run/walk on all long runs.

Yes, the reason this run/walk thing appeals to me is that I want to start/finish healthy and injury-free. It's been 10 years since my last marathon, and I distinctly remember the bonk (and the accompanying pace decline) of the last 6-10 miles. If run/walking helps to avoid that, I'm all for it!

I can go a lot further with none of the "long run exhaustion" when I run/walk. I want to enjoy the race, not just endure it.

:sunny:

I use 1:1 ratio and I'm faster when I add the walking into my running. I'm a little more than a minute per mile faster. I'm trying to figure out if I want to increase my running to 2:1 for the full:confused:

Jennifer

I've actually used the reverse strategy the past few races. I did my last two marathons at 1:1, but did my best half at a 2:1. Somehow doing the full distance at a 1:1 ratio seemed so much less overwhelming! I don't mind extending the run segments for a shorter distance, but I really like knowing that I only have to run for a short period of time when I'm tackling that 26.2.

Jackie

Yes, the reason this run/walk thing appeals to me is that I want to start/finish healthy and injury-free. It's been 10 years since my last marathon, and I distinctly remember the bonk (and the accompanying pace decline) of the last 6-10 miles. If run/walking helps to avoid that, I'm all for it!

I can go a lot further with none of the "long run exhaustion" when I run/walk. I want to enjoy the race, not just endure it.

:sunny:
Yeah, best to have fun. My first marathon at Chicago in 2000 was a "death march" the last 6-8 miles. I still remember how it felt.

larryja said:
Yeah, best to have fun. My first marathon at Chicago in 2000 was a "death march" the last 6-8 miles. I still remember how it felt.

Hey I did that Chicago marathon too! That was actually my best one (my marathon PR). I was living in Chicago at the time and the race practically went right past my front door. :)

I generally run to the mile mark and walk a minute myself. Much easier to manage.... It is a little longer run that suggested, but honestly, its all about what you train for.

Coach, I LOVE this idea. When I start with some longer runs I will definitely give this a try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter