Gallbladder surgery....

my2boys

Anything Disney is MAGIC to me!!!!
I visited my surgeon this afternoon. Scheduled surgery for Monday, August 4th. Leaving for the World on Monday August 18th.........tell me I'm doing the right thing!!!!!

A little backround........5 years ago, I was having gallbladder problems. Have one gallstone. Had an appointment scheduled with a surgeon. The morning of my appointment, I find out I'm pregnant! OK so no surgery then. Told to take care of it after baby is born. Of course, never bothered me again..........out of pain, out of mind! Anyway, was on vacation the second week of July.......lo and behold, have a gallbladder attack (anyone who has ever had one can relate....anyone who hasn't, you're very lucky!!) Emergency room visit and all. Came home and lo and behold, had another one a week later! Another emergency room visit! Can't live like this any longer!! Brings me to today. Saw the surgeon. He said he can do it BEFORE my trip (it is lazer surgery, not cutting!) and I will be fine to go away!! He said I can wait until AFTER but then I will be worried my whole trip that I will have another attack!!

So I bit the bullet and scheduled for this Monday! Anyone who has had this surgery, please reassure me I'll be alright!! (not to mention I've never had anesthesia (?) before and it is very nerve-racking to me! I've had two C-Sections and recovered quick with both of them!!

Any words of encouragement to get me through the next week is very welcomed!!!!

I just had mine out the 7th and I would have gone to Disney that weekend if it were possible. If you've done the c-section you can do this, no sweat! It's is way better than the attacks! You will be just fine!

You'll be fine by the time your trip rolls around!

I had the surgery on a Saturday and was home the next day, and back to almost full force by Tuesday, definitely by Wednesday. :) Just get back to your normal routine ASAP. your main surgical site above your belly button might be a little sore, but you should feel fine. It's nothing like a C-section! It's a walk in the park compared to that! (I've never had a C-section, but I can imagine!) :p

I had it done and it took me about 2 weeks to feel back to normal. I just felt very tired. You should be fine by the time you get there. I may have been the exeption because everyone else that I know that had it done did fine. One person I know, had surgery on a Friday and was back to work on Monday.

Just a word or two of encouragement. I also had gall bladder surgery right before a planned trip to WDW in 20001. I was admitted thru the ER on a Sunday after having a severe gall bladder attack. I was diagnosed with MANY gall stones and had pancreatitis on top of it. I was on an IV antibiotic on Monday,had surgery(laser) on Tuesday to remove my gall bladder. They could not remove all the stones with the laser but the surgeon knew I had a trip to WDW planned so I had another procedure done on Thursday where they went thru my esophagus and removed the other stones so I would not have to be cut. I was discharged on Sunday. I made my trip to WDW the following week leaving on Sunday. I had a wonderful trip with no problems at all. I just have a few little cuts, nothing big at all. You will be fine, I'm sure. Keep planning that trip. And ENJOY!

I had mine removed this past May 23rd.

The belly-button incision is indeed the sorest one of the 4...and for me..it was a full week before I felt myself.The tiredness was a bit of a surprise to me as it lingered a bit...but it certainly is worth it compared to the attacks!:eek:

You have 2 weeks to recuperate before your trip so you should be fine...It is absolutely worth having it done prior to leaving. You never know when an attack is coming and who wants to vacation like that!? Besides...think of all the Disney goodies you wouldn't be able to indulge in if you left it until after!!;)

Good Luck!!!

I agree with everyone that you should be fine! I had my surgery 10 days after giving birth, and I was fine in a couple of days. Good luck, and have a great trip!!

A fewyears ago I too had my gallbladder removed. It was emergency surgery on a Friday morning...I kept telling the DR that I couldn't possibly have surgery I was going to Las Vegas on Monday to see David Cassidy!! He assured me that I would be fine to go, I thought yeah right! Had the laposcopic surgery went home the next morning and on Monday I was in Vegas! Okay so Monday wasn't a great day but by Wednesday I was walking and siteseeing just fine! So as long as you have no complications you'll be fine and feel so much better! Good luck!
Monica

After DW had her surgery, it took her about 2 weeks for her to feel well enough to run around like a kid (which is what you'll want to do at WDW!).

Good luck! I hope your DH is more sympathetic than I was to my DW!:(

Dave

You have to take care of your health. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Good luck :D

I had mine out April 15....late afternoon and went home that evening. My DH and I left for WDW on April 24, and I was just fine. Had the ok to even go swimming.

During your trip, if you just keep in mind that your insides had been scrambled a bit, and you pace yourself...if you need to....then you should be just fine.

Good luck with your surgery!

Thanks you all so much for your words of encouragement........I'm not going to lie......I'm real nervous, BUT everyone that I have talked to has assured me that this will be the best thing for me and I will finally have a clear head not worrying WHEN the next attack will come!

I knew my friends on the DIS would help me get through this!! You guys are the BEST!!!!!!!

My knees were knocking!!:rolleyes:

But you won't believe how uneventful it really is!
My surgery was at 8 a.m and I was home at 3 p.m! You will be talking to the Dr's and the next thing is they'll be waking you up! It seems like a minute has passed!

The pain of an attack is so much worse than the reality of this surgery!

I'll be looking for your good update next week!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter