Gallbladder Surgery?

BCV513

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here had experience with gallstones and/or gallbladder removal? We had to cut our WDW trip short and come home early after I had two gallbladder attacks. :sad1: The first one happened the night we arrived. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain that went through my stomach, around into my back and into my shoulder. The second time it happened, it was even worse. We ended up at Celebration Hospital where they told me I had "multiple gallstones" that needed to come out. Now I'm home and waiting for an appointment with a surgeon. Does anyone know what this surgery is like? Is it an overnight hospital stay? I've never had surgery before, so I'm nervous.

I have had my gallbladder out at 30something and my dd had hers out at 16 2 yrs ago.

Yes it is an overnight stay. You need a good 2 weeks to recover. Can't lift stuff for awhile.

I am glad it is done.

If it is an overnight stay or night depends where you live. I had my gallbladder out in the morning and they sent me home in the afternoon:eek:

I took about 2 weeks to recover, however DH was walking around and feeling great in 3 days.

I know surgery is scary, but trust me you will feel so much better once those stones are out!

I didn't think it was bad at all. The next morning I was up doing laundry:rotfl:The two weeks I had out of work was like a vacation:lmao:

I had gall stones and had my gall bladder removed about 4 years ago.

I had the laproscopic(sp??) surgery, and mine was done as outpatient.

The surgery itself wasn't that bad, but I had a complication and had to go back to the ER the next day, because I had what they called a "bile leak".

It's where they clip-off the end of a duct that previously was attached to the gall bladder. The clip stays in permanently, and eventually the end of that duct is sealed off. In my case, something happened that the clip didn't stay in place and bile was leaking into my abdomen. It caused a tremendous amount of pain. The pain is what brought me back to the ER. I've had surgery before, but I knew the pain I was having wasn't normal for laproscopic gall bladder removal.

They ended-up placing a stent in that duct to seal it off. Six weeks later I had to go back and have the stent removed.

Once I got past that complication, the rest wasn't bad. I agree, you probably do need a couple of weeks to recover, fully.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, but just to be aware that if you are having alot more pain than what you think is normal, after the surgery, please don't ignore it. It's not something you want to let go.

I think most people who have this surgery, don't have complications, and get along just fine. Just something to be aware.

My wife and I both had it done. I had it done on a Friday and stayed overnight. I was back at work on Monday.

No heavy lifting or strenuous exercise until the stitches are out.

In the months following the surgery, you will learn what you should and shouldn't eat.

My FIL had his gallbladder out a couple weeks ago. He was in the hopsital a couple days after the surgery but that's because he had trouble urinating after they removed the catheter and then when he did urinate he had blood in his urine. He did have a follow-up with a urologist and everything is OK.

He said he's just now starting to feel better. However, he really needs to watch what he eats now - last night he went out to dinner and ate fettucini alfredo and got very sick.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you feel better soon!

My FIL had his gallbladder out a couple weeks ago. He was in the hopsital a couple days after the surgery but that's because he had trouble urinating after they removed the catheter and then when he did urinate he had blood in his urine. He did have a follow-up with a urologist and everything is OK.

He said he's just now starting to feel better. However, he really needs to watch what he eats now - last night he went out to dinner and ate fettucini alfredo and got very sick.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you feel better soon!

I've heard alot of people say this after having their gall bladder removed.

If I eat food that has alot of fat in it, my body lets me know, and not in a good way.

I had my gallbladder removed in April. It was done as an outpatient procedure. I was at the hospital at 9am and home by 2pm. The first couple of days were pretty rough, but I overdid it a bit. I had the surgery on a Tuesday and then drove 6 hours away on Friday for Easter weekend. I have had problems for years without knowing why and now I have no problems whatsoever. The day of the surgery, I came home and slept most of the day. My doctor said to walk 5-10 minutes every couple of hours. It was tough at first, but I think walking and moving does help you recover faster. The biggest pain was in my shoulder resulting from the gas that they use to inflate your abdomen. A heating pad did help with that but it was pretty rough the first 2 days. I ended up with 16 staples that were removed about 2 weeks later. For the most part, I can now eat anything I want.

I had never had surgery before either. After going through the attacks, I am only sad that I didn't have the surgery earlier.

DH had it done a couple of years ago.
He was able to have it done laproscopically (or however you spell it) so he got to go home that afternoon.
If he had to have regular surgery he would have needed to spend the night.
He had the surgery on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday.

The only change (besides the lack of pain!) that he has noticed since then is that if he eats certain foods (usually higher in fat foods) they go right through him. (that does not stop him though... He just plans ahead.;) TMI sorry :goodvibes

DD had it done - a lap - on an out patient basis.. She was in some pain for a few days (they'll give you pain medication to take at home), but other than that, it didn't take too long to recover.. The important thing to remember is to follow your doctors instructions to the T - in regards to lifting and such.. You don't want to end up with adhesions from the surgery because they can cause you a lifetime of problems..

The only issue DD has had since then is "dumping syndrome".. Almost every time she eats, she has to race to the bathroom within 10 minutes.. Some foods cause more of a problem than others - in which case she will not only have the dumping syndrome, but feel flushed, like she's going to faint, etc.. With experimentation she has learned which foods are a definite no-no now and pretty much avoids them entirely..

Although she's not crazy about the DS thing, she would take that a million times over the pain she had prior to having her GB taken out..

Try not to be afraid.. It's a relatively easy surgery these days.. Good luck - and I hope you have a speedy recovery..:hug:

Had mine out laproscopically (?) as well. Same day surgery, home in the afternoon. Took a few days to be up and about normally for me, but not so bad. As for the reaction to eating fatty foods, after my surgery it didn't matter if I drank water, nothing stayed in. Finally after about 3-4 weeks, I called the doctor and he prescribed me Cholestramine. I've been on it for about 2 years now and it counteracts this reaction. He said the reaction is caused by the bile running through your system. The gallbladder breaks down the bile but without the gallbladder, it dumps through your system unchecked (or something like that). Anyway, he said some people are on it forever, some only a while. I started out with two doses a day, but it was too strong. I went to one dose a day and lately I'm down to 1/2 a packet a day. Please do not hesitate to contact your gastroenterologist if this happens. There's no need to live like this.

I had it in 97 after having severe pain off and on for several months. My only regret is I didn't go to a real doc (the ER docs kept misdiagnosing it) so I could have the surgery sooner. They did it laparoscopically on an outpatient basis. I was off work for 10 days and was weak when I returned, but I was back to 100% within 3-4 weeks. The only time I have problems is if I don't eat breakfast. If I skip breakfast, I have "issues" after lunch, if you know what I mean.

I know you are worried, but it will all be OK. :) I had mine out in 1988 the old fashioned way - cut right up the middle, four day hospital stay, six week recovery. Things are much better now. :) Although you should be at home the first time you eat real food afterward...

had mine out laparoscopically in 1996. surgery was done on a friday morning, i was home by sunset that day, and i went back to work that following monday. i was sore for a few days, but got around fine. good luck :) you'll feel much better once it's out-those attacks are NO fun!

I had mine out in 1997 - laproscopic and was in and out. My surgery was in the morning and I was on my way home at 5pm. I had some complications as I was very ill with a gallstone lodged in my common bile duct so that had to be taken care of a few days before the surgery with another procedure. I spent 2 nights for that, then I was sent home to get some sleep (and see my 5 week old baby) and they brought me back the next morning for the surgery. Really wasn't too bad IMO :)

I've had mine out. I'm 24 and I had the surgery when I was 21. I didn't have to stay overnight but my surgery was in the morning. I was very sore for a few days and I had to have someone help me get out of bed so use the bathroom and shower. As far as food goes you will have to test and see what works for you I can no longer eat a lot of foods that I used to eat like fast food and fried food and I have to watch my dairy intake. I also can't eat anything coated in a sauce or has heavy seasonings-so yeah I really don't go out to eat anymore. When I had my first gallbladder attack it was horrible I was told that it was what being in labor was like! I was told I had a UTI but I continued to have pains so after more tests were run I found I had gallstones. I was scared to have the surgery but my doctor was great I was comfortable with him and never had any problems. I know your scared but it's worth it and you won't be having anymore pain.

The only issue DD has had since then is "dumping syndrome".. Almost every time she eats, she has to race to the bathroom within 10 minutes.. Some foods cause more of a problem than others - in which case she will not only have the dumping syndrome, but feel flushed, like she's going to faint, etc.. With experimentation she has learned which foods are a definite no-no now and pretty much avoids them entirely..

Although she's not crazy about the DS thing, she would take that a million times over the pain she had prior to having her GB taken out..

I had the same problem for more than 1 year and then my Gastro Dr put me on Welchol, which binds with the bile and ends the running to the bathroom. The condition is called bile salt diarrhea, and a good gastro will know how to treat this, life is soooooo much better when your not running to the bathroom 6 times a day :woohoo:

I had the same problem for more than 1 year and then my Gastro Dr put me on Welchol, which binds with the bile and ends the running to the bathroom. The condition is called bile salt diarrhea, and a good gastro will know how to treat this, life is soooooo much better when your not running to the bathroom 6 times a day :woohoo:

Thanks so much for that info! I'll be sure to pass it along to her.. She no longer sees the doctor that performed the surgery - he was a bit of a jerk - but she'll be seeing the gastro we use now when she goes with her DH to have his endoscopy follow-up after the procedure on the 30th..

She would be thrilled to pieces to not have that worry - or horrible sensation - anymore..:goodvibes

I had the laproscopic surgery done a few years ago. I did have to spend the night in the hospital. I agree with some of the other posters, don't over do it and take your pain meds as needed. It took me a good 2 weeks to recover. But it was well worth it. I remember the attacks I would have and they would wake me up from a dead sleep and no position would help them. I have had 4 kids and I'm not kidding when I say that the gallbladder attacks were worse than labor pains! Good luck and you will be fine. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter