Gaiters?

houseful of boys

Mouseketeer
We are coming home to the Fort next month. I know that gaiters are not acceptable face coverings within the parks. But I was wondering if anyone has experience wearing them around the campground and is it ok? TIA

I dought it if they went through all the trouble to make sure they said there not allowed in the parks, but give it a go and have a backup ready. I havent been to the fort since this happened, but other places really dont bother you about it. In fact most campgrounds ive been to so far had very few people wearing masks. And that included the rangers.

The Fort is enforcing all face coverings pretty good, there has been a CM at the 4 way stop every day stopping people who do not have one on and every CM is saying something to guests without one on.. The face coverings the OP is taking about are not allowed on any Disney property. I think that was added about a week ago.

I will say , that the face coverings will be a pain in the heat. I just came back from hersey park. It was in the 90s and humid. They day started out with everyone wearing them, but around 3 pm the heat got to most. Everyone had them around there necks. That included some of the employees. I had on the gator type. It wasnt bad but was definitely noticeable after a few hours in the heat. And you did take more swigs of water just to get it off your face briefly.

I’ve been at the fort since Saturday 7/18. Other than being at ur campsite I don’t think I’ve seen anyone without a mask. Same thing at Epcot on Sunday and studios on Monday. Yes it was warm and the mask didn’t help. But if u take advantages of the break areas. It’s not bad. did see one young man with a gaiter. Crowds have been low. Wait time average. 10 Minutes. I miss snack vendors and street performers. sambuster

Personally, I like wearing gaiters over masks. We have a trip planned for December at FW. I'm hoping that mask rules will be lifted by then. We are avid bicyclists, hikers and love canoeing. Here's hoping!

I’ve been at the fort since Saturday 7/18. Other than being at ur campsite I don’t think I’ve seen anyone without a mask. Same thing at Epcot on Sunday and studios on Monday. Yes it was warm and the mask didn’t help. But if u take advantages of the break areas. It’s not bad. did see one young man with a gaiter. Crowds have been low. Wait time average. 10 Minutes. I miss snack vendors and street performers. sambuster

Quick question. We are staying there next week. So assuming if you use the jogging trails or walking trails early in the A.M., you would still have to mask? It might mean no jogging for me while I am there, but just trying to figure out a plan for exercise but not sure I want to jog/run in a mask! Thanks!

Quick question. We are staying there next week. So assuming if you use the jogging trails or walking trails early in the A.M., you would still have to mask? It might mean no jogging for me while I am there, but just trying to figure out a plan for exercise but not sure I want to jog/run in a mask! Thanks!
Haven’t seen many joggers. Maybe the heat. Those I’ve seen have had mask. everywhere u go disney employees are reminding folks to mask up. I forgot mine on the way to the showers Got caught and reminded. My fault I knew better. Sambuster

I will say , that the face coverings will be a pain in the heat. I just came back from hersey park. It was in the 90s and humid. They day started out with everyone wearing them, but around 3 pm the heat got to most. Everyone had them around there necks. That included some of the employees. I had on the gator type. It wasnt bad but was definitely noticeable after a few hours in the heat. And you did take more swigs of water just to get it off your face briefly.
Can’t share any details on gaiters at the fort but a friend recently stayed there and if we get a chance to catch up may be able to share some info.

Can share that if heat is your concern a gaiter style will likely not be as comfortable. I have plenty of experience with masks in hospital OR and procedure areas and i did try a gator outside of that environment and it is warmer than a traditional mask. Our body temp is 98 degrees and when we exhale there is moisture/humidity (that’s why we “see our breath“ in the cold air). With a gaiter that is trapped around your neck. That increases the temp around your neck doing the opposite of what the cooling towels around your neck would do. A traditional mask allows air movement and does not trap heat so it should feel more comfortable if that is your concern.

Haven’t seen many joggers. Maybe the heat. Those I’ve seen have had mask. everywhere u go disney employees are reminding folks to mask up. I forgot mine on the way to the showers Got caught and reminded. My fault I knew better. Sambuster

Thanks! I live here about 20 minutes away and walk a 5k everyday so was hoping to keep that up, but might skip that day!!

Can’t share any details on gaiters at the fort but a friend recently stayed there and if we get a chance to catch up may be able to share some info.

Can share that if heat is your concern a gaiter style will likely not be as comfortable. I have plenty of experience with masks in hospital OR and procedure areas and i did try a gator outside of that environment and it is warmer than a traditional mask. Our body temp is 98 degrees and when we exhale there is moisture/humidity (that’s why we “see our breath“ in the cold air). With a gaiter that is trapped around your neck. That increases the temp around your neck doing the opposite of what the cooling towels around your neck would do. A traditional mask allows air movement and does not trap heat so it should feel more comfortable if that is your concern.
Not if you cut them in half :)

I realize they are enforcing the mask mandate universally across the property to make it easier on CMs but really I thought masks where for when you couldn’t properly do social distancing. I would think on your own cart (out of doors) with your own family it wouldn’t be an issue. Seems like overkill to me. But rules are rules and it’s their right to make and enforce them on their property.
Besides your campsite, where can you be without a mask at FW? What are the rules for the pool area?

Besides your campsite, where can you be without a mask at FW? What are the rules for the pool area?
Just got back from Copper Creek staying in a cabin. Also stayed at Kidani over July 4th weekend. The rules seem to be if you are seated for eating or drinking you can remove your mask. At the pool you don't need a mask at your lounge chair, table/chairs or while in the water. When you enter, leave, and if you get up to use the restroom, or just walking around you need your mask.

I realize they are enforcing the mask mandate universally across the property to make it easier on CMs but really I thought masks where for when you couldn’t properly do social distancing. I would think on your own cart (out of doors) with your own family it wouldn’t be an issue. Seems like overkill to me. But rules are rules and it’s their right to make and enforce them on their property.

I was wondering this as well, if you need them on while driving the golf cart. FWIW, I am a mask wearer everywhere so it won't really matter, but wanted to see if I just take the kids for a ride and we don't actually stop anywhere, do we need masks on while driving!

Thanks, Disbug, for the info. Our next FW trip
Isn’t until after New Year’s but I was curious about what’s happening now. It seems odd to me that you can be in the pool area sans mask but not on your cart. Just wondering what their reasoning is.

I would bet they are trying to minimize their “no mask required” areas/options so that there are less opportunities for people to interpret those areas/options in their own mind which, ultimately, reduces how much/often people would make complaints about others as well as reduce how often CM’s have to intervene or confront people about properly following rules. Making it as “black & white” as is possible so that it is easy to determine you are following their rules or not (ie: the change in eating rule in parks to must be stationary so as to take away interpretation of masks off when eating/drinking as a walking with food/drink option). Just my thoughts of a possibility. They don’t want 500 different rules about masks on in this situation, but off on that, on in this, off in that, etc...

I was wondering this as well, if you need them on while driving the golf cart. FWIW, I am a mask wearer everywhere so it won't really matter, but wanted to see if I just take the kids for a ride and we don't actually stop anywhere, do we need masks on while driving!
the masks are required on the golf carts. i was told they did this so you would think about them and remember to bring the masks with you. i do see lots of people's noses showing while riding around. one guy without a mask tucked his face in his shirt as he went by. he tried 😁 i've been using a double layer chiffon mask when on the golf cart if i'm just riding around. it works pretty good. disposables for parks and such.

We stayed at the Fort from July 20-31. We specifically asked front desk what is the mask rule, she said you are required to wear a face covering as soon as you step over the RV pad/street line, even to throw away garbage. It didn't bother us so we followed that rule, even when we walked the dog on the pet trail. We did see a few people not following the rules but I'm sure they didn't ask so really didn't know what to do (it wasn't our job to let them know). We did see most CM enforce it as well as some just turning away. The first week we were there we did see more people following the rules, the second week and especially during the weekend we had seen more people riding the carts, fishing and walking around the loops without masks or wearing them as chin straps. We did have a great time, we felt pretty safe over all and can't wait to get back. If someone without a mask or below the nose came along, we would just move away from them. As far as neck gaiters, I love them. I use them during my fishing trips so I'm use to it. I did know they were not allowed in the park so I never took mine, but was told by the CM at P&J's they are also not allowed on the resorts. I am guilty of using it when I walked the dog or crossed the street to throw out garbage, but I made sure it wasn't while others were around. Over all, like I said, we felt safe, went to parks almost every day. Only once did I have to tell a family while in line to please give us space while my son tied his shoe and the line moved (they were breathing down our neck to move). They apologized and kept their distance after that. I did take a umbrella to the parks and would hold it under my arm when people came too close while in line, it help keep them away 😉. A good 95% of the people did follow the rules and if we encountered ones that didn't, we would just move away. Can't wait to get back next month!

the masks are required on the golf carts. i was told they did this so you would think about them and remember to bring the masks with you. i do see lots of people's noses showing while riding around. one guy without a mask tucked his face in his shirt as he went by. he tried 😁 i've been using a double layer chiffon mask when on the golf cart if i'm just riding around. it works pretty good. disposables for parks and such.

Yep! We just got back and wore them on the cart and on our morning walk/run, plus pretty much everywhere else except outside at our grill at our cabin. There were very few people I saw that did not follow the same rules or wear incorrectly. We did have some runners pass us that weren't masking until they passed someone which is fine with me if absolutely no one else is even in your vision. I felt perfectly safe the entire time and it's the best of all worlds because there's no lobby, hallways, elevators, etc. really to deal with rarely an enclosed space!! It was nice!

Also, sent to check in at the RV station window 4, wore my mask, got magic bands (didn't need them but she said they were keeping an eye on the pools) and went straight to the cabin at 11am!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter