GAC Ride wait times

Gumbymom

Earning My Ears
I keep reading how some of the wait times are actually longer when using GAC. My DH has a prosthetic leg and knee problems (has been told he needs a knee replacement for the last 10 yrs, but they refuse to do it because he's too young). He usually doesn't need his wheelchair for everyday walking, but for something like this trip, he's going to take it just in case. Better to have it and not need it than, need it and not have it. It's one of those Quickie sporty chairs, so much easier for him to push himself than with the big clunky rental ones, not to mention he detests me pushing him. Really though, he's screwed either way, because pushing the chair messes up his shoulders (did I mention he refuses to let me push him?), so his hope is that his leg and knee will hold out and not have a need for the chair. He has a ECV and I think that would be the better option, but he says he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of taking that.

Just standing in line, without moving causes him more pain than walking, hence the need for the GAC when not using the wheelchair, BUT if the wait is going to be longer on some rides using the GAC then he'll just rather stand in the regular line and get it over with quicker.

I looked in the FAQ and all the pages on the disability board and didn't see anything regarding this.

I was wondering if someone could tell me all the rides that normally have a longer wait time while using the GAC cards. Thank you!

The length of accessible lines really depends on a number of factors. 1) the crowds in the park at that time, 2) the crowds at any particular attraction, and 3) the number of others who need the accessible entrance and/or accessible ride cars. A stand-by line can be short, but the accessible entrance has a longer wait because there happen to be 10 people on ECVs/WCs who need to skip steps and/or use an accessible ride car. But that could change and 2 hours later that same ride does not have a long wait at the accessible entrance because there just don't happen to be a lot of ECVs/WCs at that time.

WDW's standard response to mobility or stamina issues in line is to rent an ECV or wheelchair and take it in line. I don't know that they will give a GAC for someone to park the ECV/WC and walk through the line. You can certainly ask.

As to taking an ECV vs a wheelchair - what is he most comfortable propelling himself? It sounds like he doesn't wish to pushed, he wants to be independent, therefore unless he is used to doing a lot of manual hand-pushing of his W/C. A typical day at WDW involves 8-10 miles of "walking" (or pushing in his case) - since it sounds like he doesn't use his W/C all the time, I'm thinking he may not actually be up to that much arm strength to wheel himself and he'd be grumpy if you needed to push. Therefore, the ECV would be the better option.

Enjoy your vacation!

A reasonable option might be to walk as much as he feels comfortable (with one of you pushing the empty chair), but spend the time in lines (which move pretty slowly) sitting in the wheelchair. Then if the accessible line takes a little longer, he's sitting instead of standing.

IME, whichever place you're in seems to move more slowly than the other. :)

A reasonable option might be to walk as much as he feels comfortable (with one of you pushing the empty chair), but spend the time in lines (which move pretty slowly) sitting in the wheelchair. Then if the accessible line takes a little longer, he's sitting instead of standing.

IME, whichever place you're in seems to move more slowly than the other. :)

I think this may be a good option, but just be you may get questioned about it from time to time.

That being said, in my experience the attractions where the waits tend to be longer than the standby line usually have somewhere that he could sit until you get towards the front of the GAC line (hence the giving a more accesible place to wait), so that may be a viable option as well.

Do you know what the hassle is that means he doesn't want to bring the ECV? I agree with those who say that it sounds like the best option as far as his independence and comfort go.

I would stress to him that people generally walk 6 miles a day minimum at WDW (and that he'd need to be able to walk that amount repeated days in a row). There are ride lines that are 1/4 mile long. Everyone will be happier if he's in less pain and more independent.

If he still insists on using his wheelchair, I'd bring the phone number for one of the offsite ECV rental places with you. Most of them are good at being able to deliver within 24 hours if you call while you're actually there so there is that option.

I use a manual wheelchair at minimum 80% of the time when I'm outside my house (it should be more, but I'm stubborn), which it sounds like is more than your husband does. Even when I was in my best pushing shape, I couldn't push myself around WDW. I have an ultralightweight, titanium, TiLite manual wheelchair that was one of the lightest on the market when I bought it in 2004, so I'm guessing my chair is lighter than his. Like him I hate having other people push me, but if I don't have an ECV or powerchair to use, I have to have someone with me to push me in most places now because of the damage I've done to my shoulders (I do have other things which mean that it's easier for me to damage my joints than he would, but almost every manual wheelchair user I know has shoulder damage and there's really no point in making it worse if you don't have to).

And if he's worried about other people's looks, I'm 28 (but look younger than that) and don't have a noticeable impairment if I stand up and walk a little (I don't do this at WDW, but I do at some other places). I don't particularly get looks so I really doubt he will, plus there's no point in worrying about what other people he'll never see again think. If they're going to be nasty, then that's their problem that they can't relax enough on holiday to have fun and be nice to people. I'm sure they're nasty to people who aren't using wheelchairs ECV

That being said, in my experience the attractions where the waits tend to be longer than the standby line usually have somewhere that he could sit until you get towards the front of the GAC line (hence the giving a more accesible place to wait), so that may be a viable option as well.

It's interesting because I've noticed the opposite. The only alternate entrance I remember seeing seating at was Spaceship Earth (and there was not enough for everyone waiting who might have needed it) where I don't think we waited much if anything longer than standby and the two rides where I know we waited substantially longer than the standby line I don't remember seeing any seating (Kilimanjaro Safari and Small World). That somewhat illustrates how much difference there can be in wait times depending on when you go, what rides you go on, and all the other variables that factor in.

I think this may be a good option, but just be you may get questioned about it from time to time.

That hasn't been my experience. There is no place to sit at most places...only Spaceship Earth. Please let us know where those places with seating are--I'd like to utilize them.

That hasn't been my experience. There is no place to sit at most places...only Spaceship Earth. Please let us know where those places with seating are--I'd like to utilize them.

Yeah, I agree, but there are a few more than Spaceship Earth.

Pirates - I think I remember sitting on some benches outside there, and usually alone.
TSMM - I usually sit on the floor, but there's space to do it, and I don't usually have (much) trouble getting up and down.
The old toontown meet and greet (the one with princesses and fairies that doesn't exist anymore)

Yeah, that's about it. If anything, most rides have less space to manuver/sit at the alternate entrance than in the mainstream line. I can't use the SE alternate entrance, because it makes me flip out, but the few times I tried, the line was backed up -way- past the seating.

I keep reading how some of the wait times are actually longer when using GAC. My DH has a prosthetic leg and knee problems (has been told he needs a knee replacement for the last 10 yrs, but they refuse to do it because he's too young). He usually doesn't need his wheelchair for everyday walking, but for something like this trip, he's going to take it just in case. Better to have it and not need it than, need it and not have it. It's one of those Quickie sporty chairs, so much easier for him to push himself than with the big clunky rental ones, not to mention he detests me pushing him. Really though, he's screwed either way, because pushing the chair messes up his shoulders (did I mention he refuses to let me push him?), so his hope is that his leg and knee will hold out and not have a need for the chair. He has a ECV and I think that would be the better option, but he says he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of taking that.

Just standing in line, without moving causes him more pain than walking, hence the need for the GAC when not using the wheelchair, BUT if the wait is going to be longer on some rides using the GAC then he'll just rather stand in the regular line and get it over with quicker.

I looked in the FAQ and all the pages on the disability board and didn't see anything regarding this.

I was wondering if someone could tell me all the rides that normally have a longer wait time while using the GAC cards. Thank you!

Plunk your husband down in front of the computer. Open up Google maps, find WDW, and show him how far it is from the bus stops, through security, and through the turnstyles. Tell him he hasn't even made it to an attraction yet, and he's walked a quarter of a mile, at least. Show him how long Main Street is in MK, the round about route you have to go from the front of DS to get anywhere, and the size of the Oasis area at AK. You've got to get past all this stuff before you really even get to the meat of the parks.

If this fails to persuade him, show him EPCOT.

If he still protests the use of an ECV, ask him if it's OK for you to go have fun at the park on the second day, as he will be in no shape to tour after one day of suffering.

I agree. Hubby NEEDS the ECV! This way - he is more independent than in his wheelchair. He will be asked to switch to a wheelchair at some rides, but he is better off in the common areas going from ride to ride in an ECV. The hills in MK are not there when you walk, but they sure do come out when you are self-propelling a wheelchair. An ECV makes them bearable! :goodvibes

He's had a prosthetic leg since he was 17 yrs old, so almost 20 yrs. He knows all about getting funny looks and being told rude things (I posted on a thread on the theme park board about him taking his leg off and waving it at some skank when she dared question his use of a handicap placard when she was hogging up a spot, with NO placard, just to load groceries, it was pretty funny watching them scramble in their car and get as far away from the crazy man as possible, funny stuff). He's definitely not afraid to ask someone what their problem is if they get rude and I've been with him for 15 yrs, so we've both got that part down pat.

As far as how much walking there is, we've been to DL plenty of times and know all about how much walking is involved at amusement parks. We were familiar with what to do there. He's been dealing with this long enough that he knows how to deal with his disability. Having read on here how some of the rides are notoriously longer wait in the alternative entrance, I was wondering if there was some sort of list of these rides. From what I gather though, there isn't (or it's a heavily guarded secret ;) ) . We'll just figure it out on our own, thank you for your help.

To the poster that asked about the hassle of taking the ECV. He just doesn't want to deal with getting it to the airport (a friend is driving us and it's not a light model to load and unload) or deal with it at the airport and what not. He's used it when we take it ourselves locally, but doesn't want to hassle with the logistics of it all. The doctor gave him stronger pain meds for the trip. It's what he did when we went to Italy and he didn't even take his chair there.

Hi there! I don't think the wait times are a guarded secret but I understand why it might feel that way. :) I didn't use GAC when at WDW in Dec. but I was in my chair 100% of the time. For us rides at MK were longer wait times than any other park, and shortest at AK. The CM's forgot about the scooters and wheelchairs at Haunted Mansion for some time as a new CM had gotten confused. It just made for some good humor as we sat in the dark ;) . Splash Mountain was extremely long for us- but I've heard most days it is not. EPCOT is (in my experience) generally good with disabilities. Oh! Soarin' is the same line for all but it moves at a good clip when low crowds or with FP. Separate line at Kali River Rapids for mobility vehicles, expect a bit of a wait for that and the Dinosaur ride, but again nothing too extreme.
I push myself 80% of the time, so I understand the way he feels. I've used a few of the links here... http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guests-with-disabilities/ Very much hope you find the answers you're looking for, and that you both have a wonderful trip!

We have been with a wheelchair and honestly being able to sit in line verses standing for our family really helped to keep us healthier and happier than without. Perhaps he could sit in line with his chair and then if he wanted to walk he could do so behind his chair pushing it himself--this could cut down on him hurtng his shoulder. We have never found one ride to be consistantly longer than another. I believe the Haunted mansion was the longest. We did it both ways. One time we were sent to the exit to enter which was fairly a short wait and then another time they let us go through the queue with all other guests which was great and then they pulled us out and we had to take a separate hall and that wait was very long before they came to get us. As a family with a wheelchair I prefer being able to go through the line wth everyone else. It makes my child feel just like everyone else and we get to see the atmosphere leading to the ride which is ususally left behind when you have to take an alternate entrance. POTC we've always gone through the regular entrance and wait time truly varies with the time of day. We've had lots of times where we walked right onto the ride. BTMR has also been on the quicker side than longer. Space MT and Spaceship earth were long. Splash mmountain was an average length. Nothing stands out other than the haunted mansion stood out as too slow. We are patient in general and have no problem waiting but I could see it being a problem and do know if we didn't have the wheelchair the parks wouldn't be possible.

As far as how much walking there is, we've been to DL plenty of times and know all about how much walking is involved at amusement parks.

WDW is much, much larger than Disneyland. The smallest park in WDW is the Magic Kingdom, and it's 107 acres compared to Disneyland's 85. EPCOT is 300 acres. Six miles of walking a day is actually a very low estimate; I've always heard it as eight to ten miles. And then there's actually getting from the hotel or parking ares to the parks.

Having read on here how some of the rides are notoriously longer wait in the alternative entrance, I was wondering if there was some sort of list of these rides.

It really is a mixed bag. It depends on crowd levels, time of day, the number of people who happen to be waiting for the alternate entrance at the time, and even on the individual CM who happens to be on duty. Last summer, I went on the Jungle Cruise twice in one day. We went on straight away one time, and the next we ended up waiting longer than we would have in standby.

To the poster that asked about the hassle of taking the ECV. He just doesn't want to deal with getting it to the airport (a friend is driving us and it's not a light model to load and unload) or deal with it at the airport and what not.

I'd feel the same way about the airport! We had ours delivered to our resort.

Thank you for the responses. That was helpful information. We were debating the Kali ride, since there's a high possibility you get soaking wet, we were thinking of skipping it, because his leg can't get wet, it's electronic, and I don't want to go on the ride without him. I think we decided that if we do want to take the kids, I hate getting wet, so he'll go on the ride and I'll be the "leg keeper" at the end of the ride ;)) They do drop you off at the same place you got on, right?

I totally grasp that WDW in general and also each individual park is a lot bigger than DL, we don't plan on doing it all in one day ;) . We are going to be there 9 days, so we're hoping that we can be a little more relax with our days since we can spread it out a bit.

I'm willing to bet a dozen Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies that we probably walked more at DL than we will at any one park in WDW on any given day (we'll maybe not Epcot). Never, ever in any of our times that we went to DL did we ever plan our time there, so we walked a heck of a lot more than we would have otherwise because we were just so scattered about where we were going, just criss crossing the park multiple times instead of being organized about it, which is my plan for this trip, to be more concise. I could be wrong, but all I know is that I can only go so much myself if I don't want my back to go out, so I'm not going to stress about that aspect of it.

Has anyone ever been to the Los Angeles County Fair? OMG, now THAT is a LOT of walking, 543 acres. Let me tell you, that is killer on the feet.

I really should be building myself and the kids up for all the walking...

First: The reason no one can tell you which ride has longer wait times is because they don't know! It varies from hour to hour and day to day. Sometimes people with WCs and ECVs are spread out through the park and sometimes it seems like everyone ends up in the same place at the same time. Any ride has the ability to have a long wait and any ride has the ability to be a walk on!

Second: I have been to both DL and WDW and the Magic Kingdom at WDW is much bigger than DL--and it has recently been expanded. There are a lot more HC entrances at DL than the Magic Kingdom in WDW...not as much mainstreaming (and I imagine the new Fantasyland expansion has decreased the number of HC entrances even more!

Thank you for the responses. That was helpful information. We were debating the Kali ride, since there's a high possibility you get soaking wet, we were thinking of skipping it, because his leg can't get wet, it's electronic, and I don't want to go on the ride without him. I think we decided that if we do want to take the kids, I hate getting wet, so he'll go on the ride and I'll be the "leg keeper" at the end of the ride ;)) They do drop you off at the same place you got on, right?
I made a long post on your question about Kali - you may not have seen it, so I will add it here:
Here is a picture that shows the famous 'wall of water'
2590P4200205.JPG

On our last ride, I got one of the splash seats and was totally wet to the skin. I went into the bathroom and wrung at least 2 cups of water out of my clothes. I was still wet enough, even after that I was still dripping for the next half hour.
So even if he removes the leg, I would still suggest he wear a poncho - otherwise his clothes could drip on the leg.

The ride starts and ends in the same place, but the regular boarding area has a round rotating load and unload area. The boats are moving along with the rotating area, so it is not totally stable and guests have a short time to old and unload.
He should load at the accessible loading area shown in this picture:
2590P4200190.JPG

As an empty boat goes by, the CM opens the gate (the bar going across the water in the middle of the picture). That allows a boat to enter the area. The the CM raises the bar again, which traps a boat so that it will not move until all the guests have boarded.
For exiting, the CMs do the same thing.
It is not an easy transfer. A wheelchair can be parked next to the boat, but you have to go down into the boat and then over to a seat. The seats are made of plastic and the seats and floors can be wet and slippery because of water coming into the boat. For guests using wheelchairs, once you have gotten into the boat, the CM will move the wheelchair out of the way. You will return to the same dock when your ride is over.
There is also a transfer assist device that fits over the side and guests can sit on it and sort of bump down into the boat.

His leg could be left at that boarding area, but would be safer if you or some other member of your party actually serves as the 'leg keeper'.
As was already mentioned, there is no way to tell what the wait will be. It depends on how many other people with disabilities are there ahead of you, whether there is more than one handicapped vehicles in use and how many people ahead of you need that vehicle.

If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a lot of information that might be helpful. One if the posts on page 2 of that thread has a list of attractions where all guests will stand to wait for a period of time unless they have a mobility device with them. There are VERY few attractions with a place to sit if the guest does not have something with them to sit on.

You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

A post on page 1 of that thread lists the 'mobility entrance' for WDW attractions. As you will see, most attractions do not have a special entrances for guests with disabilities. The ones that do tend to be ones that have a longer wait for guests with disabilities because all have to go that way because the regular way is not accessible.
You could be lucky and get there when no one else with a disability is waiting. Or, you could get there and wait 30 minutes more than the people in the 'regular' line who could walk in.

Important things to keep in mind about Guest Assistance Cards:
- they are not meant to shorten the wait
- they almost never shorten the distance walked
- most attractions do not have a place to sit

Thank you guys!!

Today we were discussing that maybe we should just get one of those canes with the little round seat attached. We'll probably get one and test it for a few days to see if it's more helpful than hindrance.

Sue, I did miss that post, I checked it once, there was nothing new, so I never went back again. That is a great point about the water dripping down on his leg even after the ride. I think we'll just take everyone's advice and skip it. He doesn't care one way or the other, I hate getting wet, and the kids will be none the wiser about the ride. The pictures were great! thank you. It reminds me of some ride in CA called Big Foot that I rode as a kid, but I have no clue what amusement park it was at. Knott's maybe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter