GAC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginaS

Earning My Ears
Due to my sons illness, he was given a GAC through guest relations for our last trip in September. We are going back in June..... Can I take the GAC from that trip back to Guest relations and have them issue one like it for our new dates since it helped him so much?

Two parts to this answer.

1. Does he still have the same illness or injury?

2. If the answer to Question 1 is no, he does not need a GAC and getting one is cheating. If the answer to question 1 is yes, you can show the old GAC to the person at GR, tell them you sone still has the same needs, and that cafd did handle his needs on the prior trip. Usually, in that cirecumatance, the CM in GR will issue a new GAC with the same stamps.

There is more information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature to get there.
Even with an old card, you should still be prepared to answer questions about his needs and how the GAC helped him.

There is more information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature to get there.
Even with an old card, you should still be prepared to answer questions about his needs and how the GAC helped him.

Yep! Even the CMs who know me (I am at DL weekly) ask me what my needs are, to make sure I have the right stamp.

ReginaS please don't take me the wrong way, I am not saying you are doing this..and it isn't directed at you.. :goodvibes but there are people that do this...... What is stopping someone from taking their old GAC to Guest Services and cheating the system by stating they need it "renewed"?

I think that Disney should be asking for some sort of proof before they renew it, such as an updated letter from the doctor. There are some people who don't have a permanent injury, illness or disability and therefore may not need it anymore but can just get it renewed without showing any proof. It is the same as thing as the wheelchair debate. You have those that aren't disabled in them, yet they will board or cut a line just because they are in one.

Trust me, I'm not saying all are abusers. My husband is currently handicapped. Will it be permanent, I hope not. He has a temp handicapped parking permit. We are having to stay in handicapped hotel rooms (he cannot step into a tub, needs the large roll in shower even though he isn't in a wheelchair, he needs to sit in the shower). If he were up to going to the parks (which he isn't), I would have to get him a wheelchair and a GAC. He has had 2 neck surgeries in less than a year. He currently has a neck brace on 24 /7and can walk for short distances. He recently had a metal plate put in his neck & will never be able to bend his head in the forward down position again. He cannot lift more than 2 pounds either.

So I do understand when someone isn't faking it.. but I also know that there are some that do abuse the system.. and feel that Disney doesn't do enough to prevent it. There would be nothing wrong with Disney asking for a little proof before renewing a GAC...

So I do understand when someone isn't faking it.. but I also know that there are some that do abuse the system.. and feel that Disney doesn't do enough to prevent it. There would be nothing wrong with Disney asking for a little proof before renewing a GAC...

Actually, there is not only something "wrong" with asking for proof of disability, it is against Federal law. The ADA protects against requiring proof of disability. I just provided a long response to the other time you have posted this idea in the last few minutes, but all the same ideas carry over here to the GAC debate, as opposed to the wheelchair debate.

The short version is - it is illegal to require proof.

Actually, there is not only something "wrong" with asking for proof of disability, it is against Federal law. The ADA protects against requiring proof of disability. I just provided a long response to the other time you have posted this idea in the last few minutes, but all the same ideas carry over here to the GAC debate, as opposed to the wheelchair debate.

The short version is - it is illegal to require proof.

well tell that to an officer who tickets someone for parking in the "handicapped parking spot" for not having the permit displayed. Isn't that asking for proof of a disability? I am not being nasty, but if you don't display that, you get a high fine for parking there.. short version in that equals to, no proof, expensive fine.. :goodvibes

well tell that to an officer who tickets someone for parking in the "handicapped parking spot" for not having the permit displayed. Isn't that asking for proof of a disability? I am not being nasty, but if you don't display that, you get a high fine for parking there.. short version in that equals to, no proof, expensive fine.. :goodvibes

No, as I stated in my previous post, proof for things that are SPECIAL access is allowed.

Here is an example of EQUAL ACCESS:
I want to ride an attraction in Disney. I use a wheelchair. I want to ride it just like everyone else. If Disney has not made the queue accessible (like they have for Soarin) then they must provide me EQUAL access to the ride.

If EVERYONE in the world has equal access to the ride, then Disney cannot ask me to provide proof that I am disabled and really do need my wheelchair. This is about equal access.

There are a number of things which only certain people have access to. This is about SPECIAL ACCESS. Some examples of these are disabled parking spots (equal access states that I can park in any general spot, so wanting the certain spots in front is special), special health insurance ONLY for the disabled, reduced bus fare for the disabled, etc.

If it is something that is NOT open to the general public, something that NOT everyone can have, that is special access. For these things, proof is required.

So, no, for equal access, proof is not required. Being allowed to use a wheelchair in Disney is not asking for special access, only equal access.

No, as I stated in my previous post, proof for things that are SPECIAL access is allowed.

Here is an example of EQUAL ACCESS:
I want to ride an attraction in Disney. I use a wheelchair. I want to ride it just like everyone else. If Disney has not made the queue accessible (like they have for Soarin) then they must provide me EQUAL access to the ride.

If EVERYONE in the world has equal access to the ride, then Disney cannot ask me to provide proof that I am disabled and really do need my wheelchair. This is about equal access.

There are a number of things which only certain people have access to. This is about SPECIAL ACCESS. Some examples of these are disabled parking spots (equal access states that I can park in any general spot, so wanting the certain spots in front is special), special health insurance ONLY for the disabled, reduced bus fare for the disabled, etc.

If it is something that is NOT open to the general public, something that NOT everyone can have, that is special access. For these things, proof is required.

So, no, for equal access, proof is not required. Being allowed to use a wheelchair in Disney is not asking for special access, only equal access.
gotcha on that, equal access doesn't require proof, but special access does. Special access is for a documented disability and only for that, not for anyone who wants one.. but what about the CM's who automaticly wave you on as FOTL assuming you have GAC. Then that brings me to the next question, is GAC, considered a special access .. meaning that the guest needed assistance.. I also want to say, many many years ago, Disney did require that one asking for a GAC have a letter from the doctor, or some sort of proof. I know because my cousins son has Autism. She called down to Guest Services and they said just to bring documentation from the doctors and they would provide her with a card so she didn't have to wait on the regular lines with him.

gotcha on that, equal access doesn't require proof, but special access does. Special access is for a documented disability and only for that, not for anyone who wants one.. but what about the CM's who automaticly wave you on as FOTL assuming you have GAC. Then that brings me to the next question, is GAC, considered a special access .. meaning that the guest needed assistance.. I also want to say, many many years ago, Disney did require that one asking for a GAC have a letter from the doctor, or some sort of proof. I know because my cousins son has Autism. She called down to Guest Services and they said just to bring documentation from the doctors and they would provide her with a card so she didn't have to wait on the regular lines with him.

If you call Disney, you are not actually talking to anyone at the parks. It is not uncommon for the people in the call centers to say that documentation is needed, but in fact it is not.

I will say this before the conversation goes any further - On this board we try not to say too specifically what the GAC stamps are or what they do exactly. We do say that they are very helpful in some cases, but there are a variety of reasons why - we hope to cut down on abuse and to keep people from expecting a GAC to do a specific thing. There are probably a dozen combination of stamps for the GAC, and all can do different things. So I may not be going into the specific detail you are looking for here :) Hope this makes sense.

I cannot speak to older GAC practices, but today it is considered a tool to facilitate equal access. For example, my friend is blind and needs to be in the front of shows and she cannot walk on stairs in the dark. her GAC lets the CMs know of these issues, so they can address them without my friend having to give her medical history to each CM.

Also, even if a person may have difficulties with a regular stand-by queue, that does not mean there is not a wait. It may just be in a different place. Sometimes the wait with a GAC is even longer than the standby, but the GAC is not designed to put someone on a ride right away - it is there so, for example, an autistic child may be able to wait in a place that is less likely to trigger a full on meltdown. But people still have to wait (that one I can tell you from experience ;) )

I will say this before the conversation goes any further - On this board we try not to say too specifically what the GAC stamps are or what they do exactly. We do say that they are very helpful in some cases, but there are a variety of reasons why - we hope to cut down on abuse and to keep people from expecting a GAC to do a specific thing. There are probably a dozen combination of stamps for the GAC, and all can do different things. So I may not be going into the specific detail you are looking for here :) Hope this makes sense.

I cannot speak to older GAC practices, but today it is considered a tool to facilitate equal access. For example, my friend is blind and needs to be in the front of shows and she cannot walk on stairs in the dark. her GAC lets the CMs know of these issues, so they can address them without my friend having to give her medical history to each CM.
thanks for that info.. it does help me..in more ways than one :goodvibes I see that you can get one for walking on stairs in the dark.. that's me;) I have had double cataract surgery and secondary in my left. When I am in the dark, my depth perception isn't very good. I have been known to trip on the stairs. I never knew I could get one for my vision. It is only in the dark. You just helped me with a major problem.

I also trip over the curb between the handicap parking spot and the regular curb :rotfl: one of these days I will fall & my DH won't be able to pick me up... I am currently driving him around as to he cannot even drive far yet.. so I drive, park and trip ;) that happens in the day too....we are here in Orlando this week & I have not gone to the parks at night.

thanks for that info.. it does help me..in more ways than one :goodvibes I see that you can get one for walking on stairs in the dark.. that's me;) I have had double cataract surgery and secondary in my left. When I am in the dark, my depth perception isn't very good. I have been known to trip on the stairs. I never knew I could get one for my vision. It is only in the dark. You just helped me with a major problem.

I also trip over the curb between the handicap parking spot and the regular curb :rotfl: one of these days I will fall & my DH won't be able to pick me up... I am currently driving him around as to he cannot even drive far yet.. so I drive, park and trip ;) that happens in the day too....we are here in Orlando this week & I have not gone to the parks at night.

It is worth asking Guest Services about it - there are almost no queues with stairs, and those that are indoors are well lit. The GAC will only help with attractions, so you will have to manage in other situations, like curbs. I know my friend has difficulty with Splash Mountain stairs and Space Mountain (there are stairs here, i dunno about WDW) after dark. All the other stairs are very well lit, so no problems there.

I dont want to guarantee that Guest Services will give you a GAC (since i dont work there) but it is always worth asking about it. People who cannot do stairs (say from a knee injury for example) will still go in the lines, but will be routed around the part with stairs. There are almost no stairs in queues anymore, so little concern, but this is one way to deal with that need.

It is worth asking Guest Services about it - there are almost no queues with stairs, and those that are indoors are well lit. The GAC will only help with attractions, so you will have to manage in other situations, like curbs. I know my friend has difficulty with Splash Mountain stairs and Space Mountain (there are stairs here, i dunno about WDW) after dark. All the other stairs are very well lit, so no problems there.

I dont want to guarantee that Guest Services will give you a GAC (since i dont work there) but it is always worth asking about it. People who cannot do stairs (say from a knee injury for example) will still go in the lines, but will be routed around the part with stairs. There are almost no stairs in queues anymore, so little concern, but this is one way to deal with that need.

Space Mt.. that is where I hold onto the railing for dear life going down the stairs.. There is a ramp on the FP side, but you cannot go on that unless you have the GAC or FP. Splash Mt isn't too too bad. Even just those one step deals in the shows get me in the dark theaters. While they are lit, they aren't lit bright. For some reason, I don't see them. To me, they are "level" with the floor

While I think it is very wrong to abuse the system and lie, I think we all need to let go of the anger. WDW is our "happy place". If you need to wait an extra 45 seconds in line, just deal. It really isn't worth getting upset over.....also keep in mind that while some disabilities are easily picked out (like needed a wheelchair), there are many that aren't. So because someone looks too fine to have any type of pass, they may not be fine.

While I think it is very wrong to abuse the system and lie, I think we all need to let go of the anger. WDW is our "happy place". If you need to wait an extra 45 seconds in line, just deal. It really isn't worth getting upset over.....also keep in mind that while some disabilities are easily picked out (like needed a wheelchair), there are many that aren't. So because someone looks too fine to have any type of pass, they may not be fine.
And, I think this is a very good message to leave this thread on and I am going to close it at this time.

I would suggest anyone who wants more information about GACs to read the information in post #6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It provides a bit more details about the things that KPeveler posted. That thread is near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Also in post #11 of that thread, there is a list of the “Mobility Access” entrances listed in the WDW Guide for Guests with Disabilities. Note that for most attractions, it does say to enter thru the Mainstream Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter