• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandkfamily

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip soon to Disneyland and we have heard of something other than the normal GAC that is mentioned all over this sight. I read many threads and found no mention of it though. It is called a "pass" that allows a disabled person and their party to not have to wait in what are normally long lines... which seems to be the case no matter what the time of day or season. I realize that Disney does not speak of this, they would be over run with requests, but there are occasions when such a pass would greatly improve a vist to the park. We are new to this sight and hope that you can offer us some assistance. Thanks in advance.

Michigan is correct- that card is ONLY given to MAW children while they are on their wish trip. It used to be given to others who were terminally ill or on life support, etc. but this is no longer the case and now it's restricted ( no adults, obviously). ---Kathy

Thanks for the quick replies, our son actually is a MakeA Wish child. He went to Disneyland quite some time ago and they were great for him back then. We questioned this policy directly to Disney via multiple e-mails and actually received a phone call from them, and one of their representatives mentioned the "pass". We are not looking to just jump the line, just have an enjoyable trip. Hopefully they will be able to accomodate us.

The Make a Wish type pass is a one time, once in a lifetime situation, given to kids on their WISH trip. It is not something available on future trips.
Recently, even people on Make a Wish trips have said that they did not necessarily get a pass that allowed them to bypass lines. Instead, they were asked about their child's needs and were given a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) based on those needs.
The Make a Wish types of passes are not given out to former MAW kids on future trips. The CMs (Cast Members) at Guest Relations at the parks are the only ones who can issue Guest Assistance cards, so anything that you are told on the phone or in email is not necessarily going to be what happens when you get there.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a section about GACs that should be helpful to you. Be prepared to explain your child's needs and they will try to accomodate them. You will not, though, get the same pass as MAW.

Fastpass is a good way to avoid long waits in line. It is available free of charge to everyone.
There are times of the year when the parks are not as busy and you will not find long lines. Typically, January is a slow time, but there are many other slow times during the year.
Even during the busiest times (like Spring break and Easter), you can find short waits if you know where to be and when.
Some things (like Spaceship Earth, Dinosaur at AK, the Safari at AK, etc ) have a crowd and a long wait early in the day, but if you go later in the afternoon, you can walk right in and ride without a wait. For example, when we were at WDW this year during Spring break, we went on Kali River Rapids thru the regular line and got on pretty much as fast as we were able to walk.

If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, Extra Magic Hours (EMHs) are a great way to see things without a long line. My oldest DD , my niece and I went to the evening EMHs at Epcot. We were able to go on Mission Space without any wait at all (could have gone on as many times as we wanted) and we actually went on Soarin' 4 times - got off, got right back into line, and got back on again as fast as it was possible to get thru the distance.

Another service that a lot of people have had good luck with is Tour Guide Mike (a Theme Park Board Sponsor). The owner of that company worked for Disney as a VIP tour guide. He had to know what was busy and when so he could steer his guests away from those things and toward the ones that were not busy. Knowing those things can make a big difference in your wait times.

Well arent you just doom and gloom. Our child does not understand why he has to wait in line. Most of what I hear here is that my kid has autism or I have a bad knee. Well our soon gets very angry when he is stagnent for long periods of time. He can't speak to tell us what is wrong. When he gets angry he asperates, which leads to long hospital stays, last time it was a month. Do you have a severely disabled child? I don't think that you could even begin to understand what we go through on a day to day basis. Going to Disney we know that we are in for a long day, there is one area in Disney where we can change our son... ONE. We try to enjoy our trips to Disneyland, but there is always at least one person, who gives us the same scripted line that you gave us, that turns the trip around. Your reply was very generic, one that we have come to expect to hear. That is why we don't take the word of you or any first level person that we come in contact with. I realize that pawns have there time and place, but we do not deal with them for they can do nothing for us. As a parent facing adversity every day we have learned this so save your generic replies for the next kid with "autism" or "asbergers" or any other EXCUSE.

From what I've read on this forum head-of-the-line is NOT an available option for the GAC.

I'm sorry your child has those problems but lines are a part of life EVERYWHERE. There are many games you can play in a line that will entertain your son.

IMO you need to calm down and actually read this forum and not let anger cloud your judgement. You aren't the only parent here with a severely disabled child.

OK.
Settle down. I DO NOT APPRECIATE THE NASTY-GRAM that you unleashed on people who are just trying to assist you. People who are yelled at when trying to help do not want to help the person who is yelling at them.

I am not a WDW or Disney employee. I am a VOLUNTEER Moderator of this board, someone with experience going to WDW and experience with people with disabilities.

YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM LIVING WITH, so I don't think you could begin to understand what my family goes thru on a daily basis. OR what any of the other people who replied on this thread go thru on a daily basis. All of the people who replied DO have experience with severe disabilities in themselves or their children.

I DO have a severely disabled child with multiple disabilities, so I do NOT appreciate your lecture. We have been to WDW with her many times and have experienced the things I wrote; even during very busy times if you known where to go. For a child with autism, even with on a MAW trip and not having to worry about the lines, knowing where/when it's extremely busy will help to avoid a lot of problems. Just walking around a park when it quieter is a lot easier and less stress than when it is busy.

I did not notice until now that you are going to Disneyland (not WDW) and I apologize for that. The Tour Guide Mike site and the EMH links only apply to WDW, but the GAC is handled the same way at Disneyland as at WDW. The Fastpass information link was also specific to WDW, but Fastpass at Disneyland works in a similar way.

If you want to settle down and CALMLY ask some questions, I will leave this thread open. But, if you plan on just yelling at and insulting us, the whole thread will be deleted.

Well arent you just doom and gloom. Our child does not understand why he has to wait in line. Most of what I hear here is that my kid has autism or I have a bad knee. Well our soon gets very angry when he is stagnent for long periods of time. He can't speak to tell us what is wrong. When he gets angry he asperates, which leads to long hospital stays, last time it was a month. Do you have a severely disabled child? I don't think that you could even begin to understand what we go through on a day to day basis. Going to Disney we know that we are in for a long day, there is one area in Disney where we can change our son... ONE. We try to enjoy our trips to Disneyland, but there is always at least one person, who gives us the same scripted line that you gave us, that turns the trip around. Your reply was very generic, one that we have come to expect to hear. That is why we don't take the word of you or any first level person that we come in contact with. I realize that pawns have there time and place, but we do not deal with them for they can do nothing for us. As a parent facing adversity every day we have learned this so save your generic replies for the next kid with "autism" or "asbergers" or any other EXCUSE.

Wow..I am still kind of stunned at this post. Not that I feel that Sue cannot defend herself, however as someone who has not only 2 ASD disabled children but whose niece and nephew suffer from the same disability I must weigh in on this issue as I recently posted when we got back from our trip about GAC's and had it editied for very good reasons:

There is no monitor for this board that can tell who posts and 'lurks" if they really have or care for those who have a legitimate disability. Unfortunately, the more info that we give as a community is taken by those who's moral bar is set so low you cannot see it and they take the info that is posted and get themselves a GAC card, thereby making the wait of those who legitimately need it longer.

I cannot begin to tell you of the abuses we saw while at Disney, just 4 weeks ago. (From my previous post) I had teeneage girls who were issued a GAC card because she gets a rash if she is in the sun too long (it was very apparent by her answer and the way she answered that she was making it up).

I understand that the lack of having precise information can be unsetteling, especially if it is a first trip and or expensive trip. Information is edited to protect us, not hamper us. Traveling with disabled children is stressful. I was just confused by your post, and whether or not you expect all persons with disabilities to gain immediate access or not. It is simply unrealistic. Waiting is torture for my children, they do not understand. Crowds pushing up against them in line, loud noises all effect their sensory intergration disorder and causes them real pain. There is a difference between "accommadating" and "catering". Disney does an amazing job of trying to do the best that they can for their disabled guests while not punishing those who are not disabled. The idea is to make the disabled guest comfortable and not agitate any condition but as parents we have a responsibility to not put our children into situations that we know will aggravate their disability. We avoid lines with long lines (even with the GAC), we take frequent breaks and never commando the park...

Remember that no matter how severe your child's disability, there is always, always someone's whose's child is more worse off (spending time at Boston' Children's and Children's Hosptial of Atlanta taught me that real quick), and when you start "comparing" disabilities, you go down a dangerous slope. These boards are meant to give out information and support, not to be polarizing or pit more disabled against "less'.

We all walk that same road, some carry heavier burdens than other but the second you begin to call people "pawns" and seperate yourself with angry thoughts and speeches, your add more weight to us all.

I hope that you have a change of heart.

Rarely do I ever post, but I feel compelled to support Sue, DisneyDreams4P&B and Shorty82 in their replies to the original posters response(s).

Please remember that everyone has their own burdens to bear that no one else can really know. Being upset with a group that tries to help you doesn't ease your burden...it only adds to everyone's burden.

May you have a wonderful trip to Disneyland and find the support you need in the help that has been given.

Sincerely,
Jaymie:wizard:

Ok ... I have a brother who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair. We have been to both WDW and DLR. We have the same problem as most that he can not stay in lines for long periods of time (he gets mean) and because of the medicine he is on can not be in the sun or heat for very long. That being said this is what we do. We go to guest services to get our GAC card with the wheelchair pass as most rides have a special entrance. While we are there we explain nicely to the cast member of our situation. Of course this doesn't mean you get the front of the line by it makes wait times a lot faster. Between wheelchair entrances and fast pass entrances our longest wait for rides are maybe 10 minutes. And that was for splash mountain in August. Hopefully this helps you out a bit. Just take the time and explain to guess services about your child and see what happens. Of course they will want to meet him just to make sure you are not lying to them.

I am one of those pawns who not only gives those generic lines but I issue the GACs. All the information above is absolutely correct no matter who you talk to in Guest Relations. It doesn't matter if it is a new Cast Member or a manager, the line is going to be the same. Sue and the other posters are 100% correct

Thanks again for doing such a great job here Sue!

jandkfamily said:
Well arent you just doom and gloom. Our child does not understand why he has to wait in line. Most of what I hear here is that my kid has autism or I have a bad knee. Well our soon gets very angry when he is stagnent for long periods of time. He can't speak to tell us what is wrong. When he gets angry he asperates, which leads to long hospital stays, last time it was a month. Do you have a severely disabled child? I don't think that you could even begin to understand what we go through on a day to day basis.
. Can it. You came to this forum looking for advice. You don't like the advice - from some VERY experienced people, who DO deal with severe disabilities day in and day out, too bad. Go find some other forum where people will lie to you and empathize with you.
You are not special, your son's disabilities are not unique, you are not "entitled" to extra-special treatment at Disney or any theme park. You don't like that, don't go. But don't come here and whine because you're not getting the answers YOU think you deserve. If you know so much about the so-called "pass", why bother asking here?
As for 'occasions when such a pass would greatly improve a vist to the park' yeah, that's true for everyone. However, nobody is ENTITLED to have their park visit "greatly improved". If that doesn't work for you, don't go. But don't whine because you're not getting responses that cater to your desires.

note to Moderators: If you have to give me "points", go ahead.

Wow, good day to you. I just have to chime in. First of all, I can't believe that anyone would type up such a thing and post it on the disabilities board.
We're all here because someone has a disability. And, like someone already said, no 2 disabilities can be compared.
Guess what? My child doesn't like to wait, and when she gets angry..she's like a whole different possessed little person. Sometimes a threat to herself or the person trying to help her. Oh btw, she's "autistic". What's up with the quotations? Do you not think that these are real problems?
I'm sorry, back to my point. We took our little one along with her 2 siblings to the World in May. We got a GAC, and guess what? We never used it. Why? Because she didn't even want to get close to the lines. We were there for 5 days and we rode no rides. We were able to read her enough to know that all she wanted was the pool and to walk around the resort. So, we enjoyed our vacation to POP Century.
Anyway, there was nothing in this world Disney could have done to make our trip easier. My child just couldn't understand what was happening. So, because it was not the most fun for the others or her, since she was angry a lot, we've decided not to go for awhile.
If this trip ,without the magical but unspeakable GAC,would make your child so angry that he could get more sick, why would you go? If one bathroom makes it so hard, why do it?

We are the only ones who know what we go through everyday,and the only ones who knows what makes our child happy.
If you already "knew" knew what you were looking for, why ask?

OK Folks

I think there have been enough public comments to the original poster, and probably several PMs also.

The person is new (only four posts, and three of them in this thread) and has obviously expected one answer and is unhappy that the answers were not as hoped for.

Please remember that personal attacks are not allowed. Don't be surprised to see some of the comments in this thread edited and/or the thread either closed or even deleted.

I just hope the original poster has learned something, not the least of which is sometimes the truth hurts.

I'm absolutely in shock but realize that a personal message to the OP would not be helpful as I don't have anything nice to say. I support what others have said and Sue's description of the GAC and how it is issued and can be used. If your child is not on a wish trip THIS time, then no, you won't get the GAC that is reserved just for those children. If he's already been on a wish trip, then you probably remember that card from that experience so I'm with the others who are wondering then why you asked in the first place? He is not a "wish child" all his life...just for that one special trip.
I travel with a service animal and am on life support equipment- both a ventilator and feeding tube that run on batteries. My expectations are that I will do what I can to enjoy the parks but nothing will make all the attractions accessible to me- it's physically impossible. Nothing that could be done for me will allow me to have the same experience as someone without my medical needs and I have to accept that. I enjoy what I can, spend my time making happy memories with my children and friends vs. complaining about what I can't do. If I get tired or overheated then I either go to First Aid for a rest or go back to the resort. I always stay onsite because I'm too tired to spend much time at the end of the day ( which for me could be after only a few park hours) getting to/from the parks. If you travel with someone with a severe disability you have to realize there are limitations and that Disney can't "fix it". You probably will take longer to get ready in the morning so you can't use the early EMH...you probably will take time to take care of medical issues during the day which will require a trip to First Aid...and you probably will not last as long in the parks. It's up to you, the guest, to adjust your schedule accordingly as there is no magic wand to make your trip more enjoyable. Using the suggestions that others have given should be helpful as well has having an attitude of gratitude that you are able to visit a Disney theme park. I also agree with the poster who said that if your child is in physical danger of becoming ill by waiting in queue lines then it's not Disney's responsibility to keep him out of danger..it is yours as his mother. While everyone has high expectations from Disney, we all have to be realistic as to what can be done for us even when we're in a place that inspires fantasy. I hope you enjoy your trip and I hope you are able to let go of some of the feeling tone that I felt when reading your post so that you *can* feel the magic instead. ---Kathy

That is good thatyou can make those decisions, and tell your party that you are with that you are tired..... or even send that post. My son NEVER will be able to do that. I know that there is not a magic wand, I know my child has limitations, I know that Disney can not fix everything. You said "My expectations are that I will do what I can to enjoy the parks but nothing will make all the attractions accessible to me- it's physically impossible. " Why do you accept this?? It should be made accesible to you! We are not talking about a small mom and pop fly by night operation! This is DISNEY, a multi billion dollar corporation, that if they really did care about handicap people would make these changes. Why was the newly renovated submarine ride not made accesible? WHY DO YOU ACCCEPT THIS? I will not. My child can not speak or communicate other than a hand full of signs, so this is why I am so animate. I will not accept Disneys short comings. It is only fair and right that my child should be able to enjoy as much of life as possible and I hope that you feel the same way. One more thing when my child went as a Make-A-Wish child there was no pass they just treated us like royalty

Nevermind, I thought the original poster's question was a different one about return time passes, everyone is right there is no front of the line pass.

That is good thatyou can make those decisions, and tell your party that you are with that you are tired..... or even send that post. My son NEVER will be able to do that. I know that there is not a magic wand, I know my child has limitations, I know that Disney can not fix everything. You said "My expectations are that I will do what I can to enjoy the parks but nothing will make all the attractions accessible to me- it's physically impossible. " Why do you accept this?? It should be made accesible to you! We are not talking about a small mom and pop fly by night operation! This is DISNEY, a multi billion dollar corporation, that if they really did care about handicap people would make these changes. Why was the newly renovated submarine ride not made accesible? WHY DO YOU ACCCEPT THIS? I will not. My child can not speak or communicate other than a hand full of signs, so this is why I am so animate. I will not accept Disneys short comings. It is only fair and right that my child should be able to enjoy as much of life as possible and I hope that you feel the same way. One more thing when my child went as a Make-A-Wish child there was no pass they just treated us like royalty

Your expectations are both unreasonable and unrealistic. Just as the world does not revolve around those without disabilities, neither does it revolve around those who are disabled. Reasonable accomodation means just that - reasonable. That means within limits imposed by the the innate physical and economic realities of the world. Disney goes way beyond what is both legally required and often even justifyable for a profit making corporation. Your closing comment, "...they just treated us like royalty" is most revealing.

That is good thatyou can make those decisions, and tell your party that you are with that you are tired..... or even send that post. My son NEVER will be able to do that.
dclfun does not need my defense, but I wanted to make it known that she has a ventilator breathing for her because she lost the ability to breathe.
Her future plans include coming up with a plan for how she will communicate when she loses the ability to speak (which will happen because she has a progressive neurological disease which will be terminal).
So, how dare, anyone say she should be happy because she can speak.

Despite that burden she carries, I have never seen her write an unkind word to anyone. She has always been kind and helpful and has never written anything questioning someone's disability or hinted that she thinks her lot is worse than theirs.

definition of compassion from Wilkapedia:
Compassion is an emotion that is a sense of shared suffering, most often combined with a desire to alleviate or reduce the suffering of another; to show special kindness to those who suffer. Compassion essentially arises through empathy, and is often characterized through actions, wherein a person acting with compassion will seek to aid those they feel compassionate for.
Compassionate acts are generally considered those which take into account the suffering of others and attempt to alleviate that suffering as if it were one's own. In this sense, the various forms of the Golden Rule are clearly based on the concept of compassion.

That definition seems to fit what dclfun and many people are doing here.
I don't know of a word that means other people should have compassion toward you, but you don't have any for them.
WHY DO YOU ACCCEPT THIS? I will not. My child can not speak or communicate other than a hand full of signs, so this is why I am so animate. I will not accept Disneys short comings. It is only fair and right that my child should be able to enjoy as much of life as possible and I hope that you feel the same way.
I think people should advocate for change.
BUT, there is a big difference between advocating for change and demanding change.
AND an even bigger difference between advocating for change and attacking for change.

And with that, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter