• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC HC seating areas & odd incident at MVMCP

Yes, thanks for posting that, JenJen.

And BCV23, I had not noticed my count. Thanks for the notice.

Here's something I tried to post earlier today, but I had problems and then had to got to work, so it didn't get posted.
Anywhere, here goes:
Some reminders (or at least some suggestions based on what I have done/found over the years):
  • If you read something that seemsnegative, are there any other possible meanings? If there are, chances are good it was not meant to be negative.
  • If you read something that seems negative, is it out of character for that poster? If it is, chances are it seems negative to you, but was not meant that way.
  • The words may seem clear (and not controversial) to the person who is typing them because they know what their intent was.
  • Without the other cues that come with a face to face communication, words may have a very different meaning to the reader than they did to the person who wrote it. (Things like tone of voice, body language, smiles).
  • Sometimes certain words have a personal meaning to the reader that is not part of the word, but is part of their own life experience or maybe they are just having a bad day. So, words that are not necessarily negative by themselves, may seem negative to the reader.
  • Some posters are in a very vulnerable place in their life. Maybe they just had bad news or a new diagnosis that they are getting used to. They may be in a place where their feelings are very raw and they are easily hurt.
  • If something is quoted, the reason the poster quoted it was clear to them. The reason may not be entirely clear to the readers, so if you are quoted, it's a good idea not to take it personally.
  • There are times when something I read makes me angry. Sometimes very angry. After doing all the other things I listed, I write something.
    Then I don't post it. I sit back for a while and then come back and read it again. A lot of the things I write are deleted before I post them.
    I often write 2 or 3 somethings and delete them before I have one I can post.

Lives4Disney said:
I am learning so much about how it feels to have a child with a disability and how it hurts to have to have to ask for special accomodations for them. I am just sad that some people are so ignorant & judgemental and thoughtless about others. I felt like turning around and telling that family to count their blessings that they didn't need to sit in the front two rows.
Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Is it our culture or human nature? No one knows how another feels until they have walked the proverbial mile in their shoes; the stop sign doesn't go up until someone is killed. Ignorance is bliss. There is a lack of vision for the most important things, especially for those that need it most. I must admit that we never realized how lucky we were before two of our Delegation were discovered to have special needs.

Now we know better, and work tirelessly and patiently for all we and others like us deserve. There is no such thing as entitlement in this day and age.

Livesfordisney I wanted to say that I am sorry that your were made to feel uncomforatable during your trip. It is very hard being a Mom to a special needs child. I also beleave that sometimes it is a lot harder when your child becomes disabled. I totally understand feeling protective. I will say over the years I have become much better at tolerating peoples stupidity.
Ray
I really hope that you do come back and read that we dont want you to leave. I might not post often but i always look foward to seeing a post by you.

I got alot of help here before my son's wish trip in November and wanted to come back and pass it on and help others. I was sad to see some of the things here
Ray, I'm sorry you were hurt and do come back. I had to let you know that since I was a first time mom who gave birth to a "healthy baby" only hourslater, to have my baby be on a vent w/ more tubes than looked possible to put in a 5 pound baby. I think it is wonderful a caring person like you are there for these new parents. Justin will be 18 soon and I will never forget the kind people the first few scarey days of his life.
I always find is sad that on boards where most people either have a disABILITY or have a freind or family member w/ one, that even here people don't alwasy treat others w/ kindness.
Any way.Thank you again Sue for this wonderful board.I have told a few friends planning their trips to check it out. Thank you Lyn www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw

cometzero said:
Thank you again Sue for this wonderful board.I have told a few friends planning their trips to check it out. Thank you Lyn www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw
Thanks to Pete for providing us with this cyber living room where we can gather and talk.
It was a very wonderful thing in 1999 for someone to care enough about people with all sorts of disabilities to provide us with a place to talk.
Thanks also for all the people who come here to share - they are what makes the wonderful board.

I posted this thread on the Community Board earlier today. I have noticed Ray not around of late, did a search came up with this as his last post. :( I did send Ray an email, do hope he returns. I saw Ray at the World only a few weeks before this thread was posted here. He is one heck of a good guy.

Ray, if you happen to be lurking out there, please do stop back. :hug:

thanks for posting this, Dan.
I was sad that Ray decided not to post for a while. It's very sad when someone leaves because they were hurt by what another poster wrote.

Joanna71985 said:
That's horrible. There was no reason for that comment. It's not up to her to make those decisions. She should have been more considerate.
Agreed. It amazes me that sometimes even people who have relatives with disabilities (in this CMs case, a grandson) can be so insensitive.

MidgeD79 said:
people make such :earseek: comments. I don't know if I feel sorry for them or to wish our experiences on them.
My family has had experiences that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but I do think that a lot of the "NT" folks who make ignorant, insensitive comments about people with disabilities wouldn't do so if they knew what it was like to have a family member with a disability, or to have a disability themselves. It angers me that they complain about such comparatively trivial issues. There have been so many times when I've felt like saying "would you like to switch places for a day?" (and a lot of other things you can't print on a g-rated board, lol)

Dan Murphy said:
I posted this thread on the Community Board earlier today. I have noticed Ray not around of late, did a search came up with this as his last post. :( I did send Ray an email, do hope he returns. I saw Ray at the World only a few weeks before this thread was posted here. He is one heck of a good guy.

Ray, if you happen to be lurking out there, please do stop back. :hug:

I've wondered for some time where Ray was! Last year at this time I was planning our holiday trip to the World and Ray's posts & inspiration were such a magical part of the whole planning process. I revisited some of those old threads from last year for nostalgic reasons & thought I'd look for Ray & send a "hello". I can't believe I didn't think of searching before this!!! Ray if you're lurking out there, a big "Hi!" from me! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you last year - my diabetes & asthma got in the way of it being a perfect trip, so I wasn't able to do as much as I'd hoped. But I so enjoyed your online friendship last year. I hope you're well & happy! Best wishes!!!!

Jessica :wave:

I am so sorry about the misunderstanding.
It has been on my mind for moths for months now.
That never should have happened to to such a kind person as yourself.

We miss you!
Please come back Ray!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter