• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC for child with one eye

kcmickey

Mouseketeer
We're traveling with our friends to WDW in March and their 3 yr old son just had his left eye removed in November due to Retinoblastoma, a rare cancer of the eye. Just wondering if anyone new how a GAC might work for him? With only having the vision of one eye, I am hoping he could get a GAC for things specifically like shows to sit in the front (Festival of the Lion King), sitting in the front of some rides (like the boat on Small World), etc. Is anyone familiar with how this might work?
Thank you!

We're traveling with our friends to WDW in March and their 3 yr old son just had his left eye removed in November due to Retinoblastoma, a rare cancer of the eye. Just wondering if anyone new how a GAC might work for him? With only having the vision of one eye, I am hoping he could get a GAC for things specifically like shows to sit in the front (Festival of the Lion King), sitting in the front of some rides (like the boat on Small World), etc. Is anyone familiar with how this might work?
Thank you!

I have mobility issues, but I will give you my opinion. When you check-in, ask for the GAC and tell the CM that it is because of limited vision.

(BTW, from my own experience, the boats on Small World are only 2 or 3 rows, and sometimes the boats are so close together that being in the front isn't much different than being in the back lol.)

The GAC will be for the entire group, because even though you might not join him at some attractions, there may be others where you are all together. And it will be for the length-of-stay.

I suggest picking up some kind of plastic cover (or even a sandwich-sized zip-top food storage bag) to protect the GAC. The lanyards sold in the parks that have plastic pouches attached will work but you'll have to fold the GAC, it's about twice the size of the Key to the World card. Of course, if you don't have this and the card gets wet or lost, Guest Services would replace it anyway, so don't stress that.

I hope you all enjoy your trip, and don't forget to pick up those "First Time Visitor" buttons at check-in, too :)!

Have you talked with his parents about what his vision will be like with only one eye? Or spoken with others who have the condition?

A GAC might help if you need seating toward the front but he may not need it. I see with only one eye at a time and have adapted pretty well except for no depth perception making me seem a bit clumsy sometimes. I am not sure that having the eye physically gone makes a big difference with that.

If he is doing chemo or still recovering from treatment, consider a GAC for a stroller as a wheelchair though. Can definitely help if he will have stamina issues waiting in lines.

I also would see how he is doing with vision before you worry too much- I know somebody with one eye and she sees fine unless she needs depth perception.

It also may be worth considering that some shows you would not want to be up front- even with two eyes you end up too close and have to turn your head side to side! He will be missing that extra bit of peripheral vision which may make the front row actually the worst spot for him. I would think you may be better off without the GAC (no waiting for a specific spot) and then seating yourself sort of middle-back of theaters. (except the nemo show!)
Most rides, the front row doesn't change how you see. Something like the great movie ride you almost miss some effects if you are in the front, they are timed for the middle of the group.

It's funny you mention it's a small world and the lion king specifically- that ride in particular he will get the same view no matter where you are in the boat. The festival of the lion king they bring in these floats off to the sides, so you also have to almost turn and look behind you a bit to see it all. Just the luck of the two examples you gave, but if I were you I specifically wouldn't use a front row GAC for those ones.

I have a few of the same issues a person with one eye might have (sometimes poor depth perception and peripheral vision). I agree that if the vision in his eye is good, he may not need or want to sit in the front, in shows but it might be good to have it as an option. Hard to say.

I sometimes need to have moving walkways slowed to give me a little extra time to get in a ride vehicle (Haunted Mansion). Sometimes it takes me a little extra time to get in a boat (like PotC), but the GAC doesn't really help with that - I just apologize to the people behind me if they seem to be getting impatient.

Seeing these added posts reminded me of something.

I also have no depth perception. (Until I saw these posts, I thought I was rare LOL.) 3-D things don't usually do much for me; I sit through them for my family or friends who want to see them. I never gave it much thought:confused3 until my first visit to DW in 2007 when my family wanted to see Mickey's PhilHarmagic.

I felt like I'd been transported to ... to ... well, to Disney World :D! Suddenly, I could see the 3-D stuff! Stunned, I found myself reaching up to "see" if I could actually grab the things that seemed to jump off of the screen to me! And it wasn't just Mickey's PhilHarmagic, it's at any 3-D show in the parks. Nowhere else, though.

In fact, we just came off of a Disney cruise where we saw Wreck-it Ralph 3-D, and I wore those glasses over my own as usual, but nothing really seemed to jump for me. Maybe the parks use a different method than the films, but I <3 to see the 3-D shows at the parks when I'm there, I just <3 it :yay:.

Thanks everyone for the responses. We have been to Disney many many times, but they have not, so his mom doesn't really know exactly how to predict what he might need special accomodations for at this point. We just want to make sure that he has the best oppurtunity to see on everything. Since he just turned 3, it's hard to exactly know what he can see and what situations he has difficulty in. By mentioning Small World, I'm thinking that since he is 3, he is short, and it would be nice if he could be in the front. Maybe not 100% neccessary, but I think that someone who only has one eye might benefit from the extra convenience. Why not?!! And for Lion King, the very bottom front row might not be best, but if there is an optimal seating location, then I think he deserves it as well. We'll see when we get there and what the cast members have to say. We don't need anything special just to have it, we just want him to have the best experience possible, and if an accomodation or two for him with aid in that then by all means I want it to happen. This has been a horrific year for them and I want them to have a BLAST and I know they will!!! Thanks again!

Seeing these added posts reminded me of something.

I also have no depth perception. (Until I saw these posts, I thought I was rare LOL.) 3-D things don't usually do much for me; I sit through them for my family or friends who want to see them. I never gave it much thought:confused3 until my first visit to DW in 2007 when my family wanted to see Mickey's PhilHarmagic.

I felt like I'd been transported to ... to ... well, to Disney World :D! Suddenly, I could see the 3-D stuff! Stunned, I found myself reaching up to "see" if I could actually grab the things that seemed to jump off of the screen to me! And it wasn't just Mickey's PhilHarmagic, it's at any 3-D show in the parks. Nowhere else, though.

In fact, we just came off of a Disney cruise where we saw Wreck-it Ralph 3-D, and I wore those glasses over my own as usual, but nothing really seemed to jump for me. Maybe the parks use a different method than the films, but I <3 to see the 3-D shows at the parks when I'm there, I just <3 it :yay:.

That is so cool! Kind makes me think it's Disney magic!!pixiedust:

I am legally blind, there are two things you may want to ask CM about. The first is front row seating, at dlr it is usually not honored, at wdw they do a better job at it, but as people say, pick your own seat or tell the CM which will work best, with the card, I usually if ask nicely can seat anywhere although the card will say front row. In dlr the show alladin has cast members that come out as giraffes and elephants I think, because they can not see well looking down, they miss my dog, so I sit in second row, and some shows since I really do not see like you or others, I just see like a kaleidoscope I learn where to seat the best, like in Nemo, as long as I cam close enough it see a kaleidoscope, if to far off to side or in front I see nothing, so the card helps but I doubt a three year old is going to be able to tell you how much. Also be careful many times, they sit w/c in with blind, such as parades, and it actually defeats the purpose, especially for a three year old, he won't be able to see over a w/c and they will not let him sit in front of the w/c with a parent because that would defeat the w/c spot, catch 20/20.

The second thing you may want to explain is that he may need help with stairs or things, with one eye, if he has any depth perception problems he may need help on stairs and such.

Another thing, which I would consider is the w/c as a stroller, since he may not have adjusted enough with one eye if he just had surgery, this will keep him protected from walking into things, or uneven surfaces, or depth perceptions. If you get both stamps, he can stay in the stroller, but if it is a place that seats him all the way in back with w/c you can ask to sit up front with him on lap, at those events. That way you get the best of both worlds.

I am legally blind, there are two things you may want to ask CM about. The first is front row seating, at dlr it is usually not honored, at wdw they do a better job at it, but as people say, pick your own seat or tell the CM which will work best, with the card, I usually if ask nicely can seat anywhere although the card will say front row. In dlr the show alladin has cast members that come out as giraffes and elephants I think, because they can not see well looking down, they miss my dog, so I sit in second row, and some shows since I really do not see like you or others, I just see like a kaleidoscope I learn where to seat the best, like in Nemo, as long as I cam close enough it see a kaleidoscope, if to far off to side or in front I see nothing, so the card helps but I doubt a three year old is going to be able to tell you how much. Also be careful many times, they sit w/c in with blind, such as parades, and it actually defeats the purpose, especially for a three year old, he won't be able to see over a w/c and they will not let him sit in front of the w/c with a parent because that would defeat the w/c spot, catch 20/20.

The second thing you may want to explain is that he may need help with stairs or things, with one eye, if he has any depth perception problems he may need help on stairs and such.

Another thing, which I would consider is the w/c as a stroller, since he may not have adjusted enough with one eye if he just had surgery, this will keep him protected from walking into things, or uneven surfaces, or depth perceptions. If you get both stamps, he can stay in the stroller, but if it is a place that seats him all the way in back with w/c you can ask to sit up front with him on lap, at those events. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Thank YOU gilesmt! Very very helpful information. I appreciate your perspective and information. You are very right, with him being small it gives another challenge of being able to see for certain things. We will see how it plays out once we get there and what our best options are. Thank you again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter