GAC and Disnelyland-question on criteria?

visitingapril09

DIS Veteran
We are travelling to Disneyland in April. We are taking our 10 year old son who has a fatal, degenerative disease. He can transfer from his wheelchair but he has a custom wheelchair and also has oxygen, feeding pump etc with him. He would be considered medically fragile also. We took his wish trip 4 years ago to DW and it was wonderful. He had a GAC while on that trip and it was a blessing. This time we are going on a non MAW trip-what do I need to show, give them at Guest relations to try and obtain a card for Andrew this trip. It isn't like they can't see he has huge needs to look at him but do I also need to bring something with me to show them from his doctor etc??

We have AP at DL and I have a son that has CP and is medically fragile and has a feeding pump at the parks. We are UNABLE to get a GAC. Their "new" policy is that if you are in a wheelchair you need no special accomidations because you are already sitting down there for you should wait with everyone else. The only exceptions to the regulare line is the older rides that are not ADA accessable such the Snow White ride. Heat and sun sensitivity does NOT rate a GAC under their changes that took place about 6-8 months ago. The rules change often but this was what we were told again last week when we were there. I always check in at the town hall just to see what the policy is of the day.

Good luck
Lori

Hi and :welcome: to both DisBoards and disABILITIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful informationPost #6 deals extensively with the GAC. Note that the FAQ is primarily for WDW, but the rules for GACs are the same in California as here in Florida. There are also some Disneyland specific hints in Post #14.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

Check out the disABILTIES FAQs thread, in post #6.
The process and rules are similar in WDW and Disneyland. You need to be able to able to explain your needs related to your disability and the park has to have some sort of accommodation that would assist with those needs. In some cases, they don't have any accommodations to offer other than an accessible entrance.

One of the differences between the 2 parks is that Disneyland is much older, much smaller and much less accessible than WDW. This 'translates' into less accommodations being available for the CMs to work with. In many cases, the Disneyland attractions are only wheelchair accessible thru a special handicapped entrance. What that has meant in the past is if they send other guests with special needs thru that entrance, it basically overwhelms the capacity of that entrance. In the past, that has meant lines/waits that were much greater thru the handicapped entrance than thru the regular line.
That also means that someone who needs wheelchair accessibility and other accommodations may find that there are no other accommodations available at that attraction.

WDW is different because most of the attractions have a larger area to work with than Disneyland has. There is more room for additional waiting areas, etc than at DL.

Sue,

DL is way different then WDW in the way they do the GAC. Autism and simular diagnosis gets the GAC. If you ask for a GAC at town hall and can use a wheelchair or have a wheelchair of your own you will not be given one. (I even ask for a supervisor the first time this happened after the change) If you need to rent a stroller to use or have your own they will give you a stroller for wheelchair one. If it is a nonbehavorial disability you will be told to rent a wheelchair or stroller or if it is a medically fragile case with heat sensitivity or sun sensitivity you will be told to buy an umbrella. (we were told this by a supervisor) I have also called the customer service number and asked them what is the policy and this is it.

You go through all the regular lines and when you get to the front they then pull you aside and send you in a different direction to use the wheelchair entrance. They will give you a pamplet at the town hall as to which few rides (mostly those around the castle) that you go to the exit.

Also just an FYI-have one member of your family stand in line at the steps of the town hall and have the wheelchair party go up the ramp on the side. They will ignore you if you just go up the ramp. (experience)

Lori

That is a very useful and comprehensive thread. Thank you so much for creating it.

When travelling with a customized wheelchair that has oxygen etc hanging on it-is it kept somewhere secure while you are on the rides? It would appear from my reading, that if a child is in a chair and has access to the exit/wheelchair entrance etc. There is no real need for a GAC. It doesn't benefit any is that correct?

That is a very useful and comprehensive thread. Thank you so much for creating it.

When travelling with a customized wheelchair that has oxygen etc hanging on it-is it kept somewhere secure while you are on the rides? It would appear from my reading, that if a child is in a chair and has access to the exit/wheelchair entrance etc. There is no real need for a GAC. It doesn't benefit any is that correct?

Usually the CM's move your chair to the exit of the ride. It is not secure so do not leave anything of value on the chair. For the most part no one will mess with it but we have had issues of seeing kids playing on little guy's chair while we were waiting our turn to get off the ride. Each ride is a little different so some rides it is more secure then others. If it is only a mobility disability no GAC is given.

Disneyland has so many rides that disabled guests cannot enter via the regular line. The old Rockett Rods had a ton of stairs. The old People Mover had a moving narrow ramp. The former Carrousel of Progress, Innoventions et al, would not let disabled guests exit from upstairs. Space Mountain is via a long corridor. Most if not all of Fantasyland is via exits. Big Thunder and Pirates was via the exit. Jungle Cruise varied but disabled guests where to get in line to the point where they exited through a swinging gate while other times they used the exit.

Disneyland was once innundated with people in wheelchairs who used the handicapped line to avoid the long lines for a new attraction. The GAC was and is for people with invisible disibilities only. It is obvious that a person is disabled if they are in a chair so why waste the guest service CM's time issuing something that is not needed. Few people really really need to be in the shade at all times because of medical reasons. I should not be in the sun as my nose burns but that is no reason to get a GAC however there are people who think they can get the magic GAC for that.

Guest Services has special info for the disabled guest and can also help you with kid stuff like talk to a character and birthday stickers. You might even get lucky and meet a softy who will go out of their way to make a child's day special.

As for the feeding pump and oxygen use: Check this board in FAQs for the info there as anything posted about WDW will apply to DLR usually. Both coasts have nurses stations and DLR rides are similar to WDW rides. You do not say how you will get to the parks. If you are driving then on the east side of the park is a guest drop off, and the entrance to where the taxis and hotel shuttles are. You can park in the guest drop off area just south of the taxi/shuttle entrance and unload your son and then walk a block to the Main Gate. This would avoid the jostling of trams and the having to get on and off of the trams. If you are staying on site then you can walk a few blocks to Main Gate or you can go over to the near by Monorail station. They have an elevator and it is a fun ride. If you do park on site do not forget your handicapped placard as that lets you park closer.

good luck on your trip.

Disneyland was once innundated with people in wheelchairs who used the handicapped line to avoid the long lines for a new attraction. The GAC was and is for people with invisible disibilities only. It is obvious that a person is disabled if they are in a chair so why waste the guest service CM's time issuing something that is not needed. Few people really really need to be in the shade at all times because of medical reasons. I should not be in the sun as my nose burns but that is no reason to get a GAC however there are people who think they can get the magic GAC for that.

I waited and thought about this for a while before I answered and decided that I did not want this thought to stay in people's minds.

There are more people than you think that need to avoid the sun. I have lupus and the sun can make me very sick. I wear 85 sun block and expensive sun protective clothing and haunt the shadows when going from place to place. I also use an umbrella when sun is not avoidable--however an umbrella cannot cover all of me. The sun does not just "burn my nose" it can throw me into a major flare. That can mean a rash over most of my body, swollen and very painful joints and/or a fever (the last fever from the sun lasted six and a half weeks.) I deal with a very real fatigue at the best of times and running a low-grade fever really wipes me out!

I don't tour in the middle of the day--I limit myself to early morning and evenings....not only to avoid the sun, but also because I "wear out" very easily and need to rest. If I could not be out of the shade for attractions, I could not do any of them. There are several I cannot do because they don't have any place to wait--Nemo being one of them.

Also, many medicines say to avoid the sun---and I personally would not want to risk ignoring that warning.

I have never been to Disneyland and if they cannot accomodate my need to avoid sun, I cannot go there. This thread has saved me several thousand dollars as I was in the planning stages for a trip there during spring break.

I have deleted or edited several posts from this thread. The normal response from Guest Services for mobility/stamina is the recommendation that a wheelchair or ECV be used.

If a person has other needs they can be given a GAC. If a person has other needs that are in addition to mobility/stamina issues they can be given a GAC to cover those needs.

Sue and I feel that discussions of what a GAC can do for a person can lead to misuse of the GAC system. This is very similar to the the old Disneyland Special Needs Pass where DL was issuing more SNPs per day than WDW with all the parks and the higher attendance.

Just realize that a decision will be made which will work to assist the needs of the person with the disability.

I have deleted or edited several posts from this thread. The normal response from Guest Services for mobility/stamina is the recommendation that a wheelchair or ECV be used.

If a person has other needs they can be given a GAC. If a person has other needs that are in addition to mobility/stamina issues they can be given a GAC to cover those needs.

Sue and I feel that discussions of what a GAC can do for a person can lead to misuse of the GAC system. This is very similar to the the old Disneyland Special Needs Pass where DL was issuing more SNPs per day than WDW with all the parks and the higher attendance.

Just realize that a decision will be made which will work to assist the needs of the person with the disability.

Completely understand! None of us who have special needs, of any type, would like to see the GAC removed due to misuse. Also, the thread that I was directed to on GAC and disabilities in general at Disney is very through and very helpful so I apologize if my thread got off track a bit.

One more question though, for those whose older children are incontinent and in Attends, where do you change them within Disneyland?

At the very least you will be able to use First Aid. They have rooms/cubicles with beds in them that are curtained off.

There is also a list of "companion" restrooms that is part of the Guide for Guests With Disabilities which you can get at City Hall. There is also a link on Page 14 of the disABILITIES FAQ where you can download a pdf file of the Guidebook.

One more question though, for those whose older children are incontinent and in Attends, where do you change them within Disneyland?
A lot would depend on what the person's needs are.
If they need to lie down to be changed, then your best choice is First Aid. They would have cots that can be used for changing and there is a First Aid in each park.

If the person can stand during a change, you could use the handicapped toilet stall in a regular bathroom or you could use the Companion Restrooms (they are in each park).

I waited and thought about this for a while before I answered and decided that I did not want this thought to stay in people's minds.

There are more people than you think that need to avoid the sun. I have lupus and the sun can make me very sick. I wear 85 sun block and expensive sun protective clothing and haunt the shadows when going from place to place. I also use an umbrella when sun is not avoidable--however an umbrella cannot cover all of me. The sun does not just "burn my nose" it can throw me into a major flare. That can mean a rash over most of my body, swollen and very painful joints and/or a fever (the last fever from the sun lasted six and a half weeks.) I deal with a very real fatigue at the best of times and running a low-grade fever really wipes me out!

I don't tour in the middle of the day--I limit myself to early morning and evenings....not only to avoid the sun, but also because I "wear out" very easily and need to rest. If I could not be out of the shade for attractions, I could not do any of them. There are several I cannot do because they don't have any place to wait--Nemo being one of them.

Also, many medicines say to avoid the sun---and I personally would not want to risk ignoring that warning.

I have never been to Disneyland and if they cannot accomodate my need to avoid sun, I cannot go there. This thread has saved me several thousand dollars as I was in the planning stages for a trip there during spring break.

I have started planning a trip to DL several times, but fear of not having needs met have cancelled the plans. There is no point to travel all that way and not be able to do anything. I can "not be able do things" in my own backyard. I grew up in CA and hoped to share that experience with my child-but I just don't think it will be possible.

As for my statement about people not needing a GAC for sun due to medical reasons, please read what Cheshire Figment wrote. Disneyland is a small park and it has a history of people abusing the GAC and disabled services. They want a GAC because they have blisters, it is too hot, too cold, whatever. The people who truly need disabled services and the GAC then were waiting longer because someone had blisters from cheap shoes or someone was looking for a short cut on lines.

Yes, there are people who truly need special services. The problem with the sun is that there is no place to wait in the shade in Fantasyland except in the earliest and latest part of the day. There was no shade at Small World, astro orbiter ride, Main Street Transportation, Mansion, canal boats, tea cups, etc. Pirates, Star Tours, Splash Mountain, and Roger Rabbit's Toon Spin however are indoor waits. Either you wait in the shade on Pirates or you are in the sun on the other rides. Some times there are shady areas near by to wait and some get shade during part of the day but Small World did not have any shade for 50 or more feet from the entrance unless you hunker down next to the gift shop area.

Could and should a person with severe sun sensitivity go to DLR. YES but go in the off season when lines are short. Take proof of your condition then talk to a supervisor at Guest Relations as you never know when they will change policies. You could also try to get the GAC based on your other disabilities. Study the youtube videos to see where and when is best times to go. Early morning and later in the day is when the shadow come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouP05nOMJ7s&feature=related
middle of the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_pI8O21NcM
that one was done early in the morning based on the shadows.

We just went to DLR for my daughter's make a wish trip in august and we had a GAC . My daughter was using a scooter and did not have a problem , she bypassed most of the lines given her condition , she had a scooter. She could not walk but she could take steps to transfer from the scooter to the ride. Nobody made us go on the regular lines the days that we did not wear the make a wish shirts.

As for my statement about people not needing a GAC for sun due to medical reasons, please read what Cheshire Figment wrote. Disneyland is a small park and it has a history of people abusing the GAC and disabled services. They want a GAC because they have blisters, it is too hot, too cold, whatever. The people who truly need disabled services and the GAC then were waiting longer because someone had blisters from cheap shoes or someone was looking for a short cut on lines.

Yes, there are people who truly need special services. The problem with the sun is that there is no place to wait in the shade in Fantasyland except in the earliest and latest part of the day. There was no shade at Small World, astro orbiter ride, Main Street Transportation, Mansion, canal boats, tea cups, etc. Pirates, Star Tours, Splash Mountain, and Roger Rabbit's Toon Spin however are indoor waits. Either you wait in the shade on Pirates or you are in the sun on the other rides. Some times there are shady areas near by to wait and some get shade during part of the day but Small World did not have any shade for 50 or more feet from the entrance unless you hunker down next to the gift shop area.

Could and should a person with severe sun sensitivity go to DLR. YES but go in the off season when lines are short. Take proof of your condition then talk to a supervisor at Guest Relations as you never know when they will change policies. You could also try to get the GAC based on your other disabilities. Study the youtube videos to see where and when is best times to go. Early morning and later in the day is when the shadow come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouP05nOMJ7s&feature=related
middle of the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_pI8O21NcM
that one was done early in the morning based on the shadows.

I understand people have abused the GAC. It is a shame that abuse is affecting people who really need the assistance. From what I have read getting a GAC in DL is hit or miss depending on the GS CM. It would be terrible to go all the way to CA and at the whim of a GS not be able to do anything. The stress from worrying about that would just trigger other issues. So I tell myself, DL is a "want" not a "need". :cutie:

I think the biggest problem with DL is that they don't have the ability to provide some of the accommodations that some people might need (such as avoiding sun). Because it's an old park and is much smaller than WDW, they just don't have room to add things like waiting places.
The California Adventure park is different because it is new. Lines there are wheelchair accessible, so people using wheelchairs or ECVs wait in the same line as everyone else.

I think the biggest problem with DL is that they don't have the ability to provide some of the accommodations that some people might need (such as avoiding sun). Because it's an old park and is much smaller than WDW, they just don't have room to add things like waiting places.
The California Adventure park is different because it is new. Lines there are wheelchair accessible, so people using wheelchairs or ECVs wait in the same line as everyone else.
Right Sue on the lines. That park also has hit and miss shade. DCA is ADA compliant at the time it was built but the shade is hit and miss. As far as I know there was one companion/family restroom in all of DLR and it was at the Bug area in DCA. There is some shade but it depends on the location and time of day. When DCA was built the only concern was to make the lines fair. That only meant an elevator at the Orange Stinger and lines where the disabled would have to wait like everyone else. They did not think about other needs like that even nondisabled guest should not be in the sun for hours while in line. There is not room for waiting areas that are shaded. Toy Story Mania, Golden Dreams theater, the Hyperion, the ride in Hollywood (forget the name), the former millionaire show, Tower of Terror, Muppets and Soarin are the only indoor attractions. They crammed as much as possible into DCA.

Also WDW can afford to hire one person or a team of people who are dedicated to the disabled because they have many more guests than DLR. Also DLR has been relegated to the step-sister like Cinderella and often has been ignored and neglected.

I have been going to DLR since about 1960 and cannot remember ever getting sunburned or heat problems. It is doable IF you plan ahead, the parks are open evenings for example and early morning has cool long shadows. There is the train that usually is shady the will help you avoid the sun. The monorail will drop you off near Nemo subs and Space Mountain. If you are not a fast walker there are ECV's that go about the speed of a fast walker. How about Christmas with the lights and parades at night. The fireworks are lovely, once I was at the Disneyland Hotel and ran into roving Dickinsonian carolers, and the hotels and DownTown area are decorated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter