GAC - After Surgery

Gareth& Hayley

Mouseketeer
Hi All :wave2:

Would it be appropriate for me to request a GAC following surgery assuming I get the all clear to travel and actually still have a need? I don't know if the GAC is even given out for something short-term like my issue?

The nature of the surgery means standing/walking/sitting for extended periods of time is uncomfortable. Based on some other threads it sounds like a WC might be something to consider but given sitting for extended periods also causes an issue - maybe not!

As i'm going in September the crowds will be low :cool1: so i'm only likely to require it for certain rides - and for them I can use the FP in most cases. I will still have an open wound so will have to leave the park after a few hours to clean it etc (given the heat etc) before returning for another few hours so sometimes a FP wont always work.

I know in Universal they simply give you a return time based on the wait of the ride. Do Disney do this also with the GAC as it is perfect - I don't want to skip the lines I just want a fair chance of being able to ride them.

We do travel to Disney often (DVC Members) so if I can't get a GAC it wont ruin the trip - I know so little about it as have never needed one.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know there is a little controversy about these cards and abuse. If i am not meant to have one or can do something else then I don't mind - just looking for some advice. :confused3

There is no GAC to help with standing and walking. Your best bet is to get a rollator or wheelchair. Just push the wheelchair when you need to walk. You can put your "things" in the seat.

There is also a first aid station in each park where you could rest and change your bandages. You can even store your supplies there if you want. They will give you a private room to rest or do what you need to do.

I can only spend a few hours at a time (sometimes only a few hours a day) in the parks. Your best bet is to have a really good touring plan.

You should be able to get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations but you want to take something with you from your doctors. After my surgery (five weeks after) I was able to get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations. I took the note that my doctor wrote to the Guest Relations window sharing that I was still recovering from major surgery.

The GAC card will not let you utilize the handicap accessible area but it will give you an opportunity to utilize the Fastpass return line. It did not keep me from waiting in lines but it did keep me out of the longer lines since I was not able to stand or walk for long periods of time.

I only utilized the GAC for the longer lines (anything over 45 minutes); if the wait times were under 45 minutes, I was okay to stand in line and wait and enjoy the anticipation.

Take it easy. Don't push it too much. Take breaks and watch the rough rides.

There is no GAC to help with standing and walking. Your best bet is to get a rollator or wheelchair. Just push the wheelchair when you need to walk. You can put your "things" in the seat.

There is also a first aid station in each park where you could rest and change your bandages. You can even store your supplies there if you want. They will give you a private room to rest or do what you need to do.

I can only spend a few hours at a time (sometimes only a few hours a day) in the parks. Your best bet is to have a really good touring plan.

Wouldn't the GAC allow me not to be put in a position where I need to stand/sit for an extended period of time? If a FP isn't available and there is an extended time would the GAC allow me to return after the wait time and ride? Given I can't sit/stand in line for an extended period of time it seems unfair that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride?

What I don't know is if what I have stated above is reasonable hence seeking guidance on the GAC.

I need to wash the open wound before applying the dressing again so I need to go back to the hotel but actually knowing the facility is available does mean I wont have to go back every time :woohoo:

You should be able to get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations but you want to take something with you from your doctors. After my surgery (five weeks after) I was able to get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Relations. I took the note that my doctor wrote to the Guest Relations window sharing that I was still recovering from major surgery.

The GAC card will not let you utilize the handicap accessible area but it will give you an opportunity to utilize the Fastpass return line. It did not keep me from waiting in lines but it did keep me out of the longer lines since I was not able to stand or walk for long periods of time.

I only utilized the GAC for the longer lines (anything over 45 minutes); if the wait times were under 45 minutes, I was okay to stand in line and wait and enjoy the anticipation.

Thanks for sharing - sounds like it would be reasonable to at-least ask then.

A Guest Assistance Card is not an automatic 'pass' into the Fastpass line.

And, there are apparently changes coming in August, so how it worked for individual people in the past may not be how it works in the future.
The information about GACs in post 6 of the disABILIIES FAQs thread is current, nd general enough that it will probably still be accurate after the changes.

If you are concerned about your endurance ability to stand, walk or wait, WDW recommends using a mobility device (wheelchair, ECV, rollator) because the distance walked in lines is just a small part of the walking involved in a day at WDW. The verge person walks between 3 and 9 miles a day - on a recent trip, we were trying to take it easy because we had n 80+ year old woman and 2 adults who were not used to walking. Even with tht, we averaged over 5 miles per day.
So, if a guest is concerned about their ability/endurance/stamina waiting in lines, they need to be at least as concerned with it out of lines.

A Guest Assistance Card is not an automatic 'pass' into the Fastpass line.

And, there are apparently changes coming in August, so how it worked for individual people in the past may not be how it works in the future.
The information about GACs in post 6 of the disABILIIES FAQs thread is current, nd general enough that it will probably still be accurate after the changes.

If you are concerned about your endurance ability to stand, walk or wait, WDW recommends using a mobility device (wheelchair, ECV, rollator) because the distance walked in lines is just a small part of the walking involved in a day at WDW. The verge person walks between 3 and 9 miles a day - on a recent trip, we were trying to take it easy because we had n 80+ year old woman and 2 adults who were not used to walking. Even with tht, we averaged over 5 miles per day.
So, if a guest is concerned about their ability/endurance/stamina waiting in lines, they need to be at least as concerned with it out of lines.

Thanks very much. :thumbsup2

I don't want to skip the lines - just a fair opportunity to enjoy the rides. I can't do some of the bigger rides anyway because they will throw me around too much.

Is there something else I should take?

I think I will just explain to the CM and let them decide.

There is nothing you need to take. :) You explain the situation to the CM at guest relations and they will either issue a pass or offer suggestions for how to best deal with the issues you have. Even if you don't get a GAC they are very helpful.

Just to clarify - in most attractions, the handicapped accessible line IS the regular line since most are wheelchair accessible.
If you are not using a mobility device and need to avoid stairs, you will need a GAC that says you can use the wheelchair accessible way.

In most cases, a GAC will NOT provide a place to sit while waitiing. There is a post on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread that lifts attractions where all guests will need to stand for a period unless they have a mobility device with them

Wouldn't the GAC allow me not to be put in a position where I need to stand/sit for an extended period of time?

No, a GAC will do nothing to change how you wait in line (sitting or standing). WDW's response to stamina or endurance needs is to recommend the guest use a wheelchair, ECV, rollator or other similar mobility device. That is the "accommodation" provided. The guest is allowed to use the mobility device in most standard lines - the few that involve stairs will re-direct you accordingly - and you may sit/stand/push as you need. As another PP suggested, a wheelchair will allow you to alternate sitting or walking/pushing.

If a FP isn't available and there is an extended time would the GAC allow me to return after the wait time and ride? Given I can't sit/stand in line for an extended period of time it seems unfair that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride?

If the FP's have all been given out for the day, or that attraction doesn't offer FP, there is no GAC accommodation to get a FP. If the FP return time isn't convenient, you have the option of stand-by. To do otherwise would be a "greater than equal" benefit not available to non-disabled guests. There may be times when a person with a GAC is given a handwritten FP, but that is at the discretion of the CM working the attraction at that time. There are rumors this may occur more often now, but has not been reported as standard procedure yet.

Given I can't sit/stand in line for an extended period of time it seems unfair that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride?

As suggested previously, you have the option of changing your position while in lines by using a wheelchair or rollator. If you need to keep walking, most lines do keep moving albeit slowly; if you need more you can ask your party to help provide a bit of a buffer space behind you that could allow you to pace back-and-forth.

Enjoy your vacation!

If the FP's have all been given out for the day, or that attraction doesn't offer FP, there is no GAC accommodation to get a FP. If the FP return time isn't convenient, you have the option of stand-by. To do otherwise would be a "greater than equal" benefit not available to non-disabled guests.

Thanks lanejudy.

This GAC is a mine field it seems! :idea:

The reality is the rides are only part of the trip especially having done 8 weeks in the last 9 months at WDW (getting the most value for money out of our 'free' wedding annual pass :cheer2:). If I can't get a GAC then I might have to avoid the odd ride - a shame but not a big deal at all.

I can't get over how mixed the advice is on here. I was expecting a simple YES or NO - I've got both! I'm going to stick to plan then - if i'm still recovering when I travel I will ask at Guest Services and explain I don't know if I should have one and can they help me. Problem solved!

...I can't get over how mixed the advice is on here. I was expecting a simple YES or NO - I've got both! I'm going to stick to plan then - if i'm still recovering when I travel I will ask at Guest Services and explain I don't know if I should have one and can they help me. Problem solved!

Truly, on the CMs at Guest Relations can determine whether a GAC can be given. The rest of us can only give our experiences. By all means, discuss your needs when you are there and they'll let you know what they can do for you.

Good luck wiht your recuperation and enjoy your vacation!

Truly, on the CMs at Guest Relations can determine whether a GAC can be given. The rest of us can only give our experiences. By all means, discuss your needs when you are there and they'll let you know what they can do for you.

Good luck wiht your recuperation and enjoy your vacation!

Ladyjudy is exactly right. We don't work for the company, we only go on what we know from experience. Disney can change how the program works at any time they want. Yes they have to provide equal access but it doesn't need to be in it's current form so we can only make educated guesses. No one can give you a yes or no answer, and even at the parks depending on how you describe your needs you may or may not be given a GAC.

Hi All :wave2:

The nature of the surgery means standing/walking/sitting for extended periods of time is uncomfortable. Based on some other threads it sounds like a WC might be something to consider but given sitting for extended periods also causes an issue - maybe not! they will tell you to get a WC. nothing says you have to sit in it the entire time. I tend to get out of mine for RR trips, TS meals and the occasional foray into a gift shop.. mostly due to the fact that it is less of a hassle to do these things mobile, but also to keep the hip from locking up.

I will still have an open wound so will have to leave the park after a few hours to clean it etc (given the heat etc) before returning for another few hours so sometimes a FP wont always work. no need. just hit a First Aid station. plenty of private areas to do a little bit of touch up work.

I know in Universal they simply give you a return time based on the wait of the ride. Do Disney do this also with the GAC as it is perfect - I don't want to skip the lines I just want a fair chance of being able to ride them. that's what FP and FP+is for. for those attractions that do not have this option, they will figure something out.

there is talk about an updated policy going into effect 1 August.

We are annual passholders - my husband uses a GAC for walking and standing issues - they give him a GAC at his request - we took his handicap tag the first time to show them and Guest Relations said they wouldn't look at or review any documentation as "we are not doctors and not trained to assess your need for a GAC, but we will give you one if you ask." If they do look at a note from your Dr. it is only to be polite and not because they actually take the note into consideration.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the walking you do is between attractions. There's no card that can help with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter