Gabby Petito

Then they sent the couple off in a van to be isolated together some more
When you're of legal age there's not much that can be done about you and someone else, the police can't bar you from going on a cross country trip no matter how tense they see things. Think about all the situations out there of the millions and millions of adults. Pretty much we all agree their vanlife was not an advisable situation. At least according to the police report if you wanted the police to do something they would have arrested Gabby and followed through with charges on her.

When you're of legal age there's not much that can be done about you and someone else, the police can't bar you from going on a cross country trip no matter how tense they see things. Think about all the situations out there of the millions and millions of adults. Pretty much we all agree their vanlife was not an advisable situation. At least according to the police report if you wanted the police to do something they would have arrested Gabby and followed through with charges on her.
She might be alive if they had.

He killed her. She’s dead.

I think the Moab police dropped the ball. They got a DV call, clearly established that there had been physical contact and conflict that had been escalating for days.

Actually they separated them, what the couple chose to do after that was on them not the Police.

She might be alive if they had.
It's a possibility. It also is never as easy as just saying "they sent the couple off in a van to be isolated together some more" even if you remove the police report, even if you remove any physical contact between the parties, there's been a lot of talk about the concern over abuse in their relationship and even if hypothetical it wasn't physical that day when the police were called but you had inklings of possible abuse going on, them seeing two people fighting doesn't mean they can just physically prevent both of them from going together in the end. Suggest a cool off (which is what they did, I believe the spent the night apart) but otherwise yeah.

I think what most of us hope is if there was abuse going on they it could have been alerted to authorities but that does not mean Gabby and Brian wouldn't have stayed together, that they wouldn't have gotten back together if they split up, that the end result wouldn't have happened in some way whatever actually did happen. Unfortunately that is just not something any of us can know and not something that is on the shoulders of the police. I think it's fine to critique certain aspects of the investigation, but at least IMO not everything can be pinned on they themselves preventing the ultimate outcome, that's an awful unknown unfortunately.

I mean….not speculating anything here. Police failed to act after a verified DV incident and now a woman is dead and her bf is on the run.

Sadly, not an uncommon outcome when law enforcement (often the only available intervention) fails to act in cases of domestic violence

The only problem with this statement is that it is totally false.

That is NOT what the police did at all. They made arrangements for Brian to stay in a shelter/hotel for the night, and left Gabby with her van.

She was totally free to leave, had the van, no constraints. Instead, she chose to reunite with Brian and continue their adventure together.

It's sad the way it turned out, but she had an easy out that night.

The only problem with this statement is that it is totally false.

That is NOT what the police did at all. They made arrangements for Brian to stay in a shelter/hotel for the night, and left Gabby with her van.

She was totally free to leave, had the van, no constraints. Instead, she chose to reunite with Brian and continue their adventure together.

It's sad the way it turned out, but she had an easy out that night.
I genuinely missed that in all this discussion. Thanks for the info.

Okay, I’m injecting some new discussion points into the thread for anyone who’s interested in giving opinions on these.

1) What do we think of Brian (and an as-yet unidentified older woman) buying a new phone on Sept 4th? Suspicious or just time for an upgrade? Do we think the Laundries told the FBI the phone was only 10 days old when they handed it over? Did they really think the FBI wouldn’t notice? I’ve been stuck on the idea that the search in the swamp continues because they’re looking for something other than Brian. Initially, I thought they might be looking for his gun there, now I’m thinking it’s his old phone they’ve tracked to that area.

2) If you were “very concerned” about your missing son and Dog the Bounty Hunter came knocking on your door to say he was joining he search, would you, A) welcome all the help you could get or, B) call the police on him like the Laundries did? :laughing:

3) For people familiar with the Fort De Soto area, particularly the outlying islands they suspect he might be on, do you think someone could survive and stay hidden there for long? I picture small, rather flat little desolate islands, his bald head burning to a crisp in the hot tropical sun, and it sounds pretty uninhabitable to me. Is there a fresh water source? Would he get swept out to sea the first time a hurricane came through? Lol, maybe the islands aren’t what I’m picturing, otherwise they sound like a rather poor choice of places to try to survive while on the run.

4) The FBI agents entered the camper with a specimen container today. Any guesses as to what they may have been collecting?
7FA5B9D7-FB92-448C-82A7-3AC8C5C76538.jpeg

Okay, I’m injecting some new discussion points into the thread for anyone who’s interested in giving opinions on these.

1) What do we think of Brian (and an as-yet unidentified older woman) buying a new phone on Sept 4th? Suspicious or just time for an upgrade? Do we think the Laundries told the FBI the phone was only 10 days old when they handed it over? Did they really think the FBI wouldn’t notice? I’ve been stuck on the idea that the search in the swamp continues because they’re looking for something other than Brian. Initially, I thought they might be looking for his gun there, now I’m thinking it’s his old phone they’ve tracked to that area.
I have no idea about any of those questions.
2) If you were “very concerned” about your missing son and Dog the Bounty Hunter came knocking on your door to say he was joining he search, would you, A) welcome all the help you could get or, B) call the police on him like the Laundries did? :laughing:
I would call the police and the FBI. The police because he is trespassing, and the FBI to let them know he was interjecting himself into the investigation.
3) For people familiar with the Fort De Soto area, particularly the outlying islands they suspect he might be on, do you think someone could survive and stay hidden there for long? I picture small, rather flat little desolate islands, his bald head burning to a crisp in the hot tropical sun, and it sounds pretty uninhabitable to me. Is there a fresh water source? Would he get swept out to sea the first time a hurricane came through? Lol, maybe the islands aren’t what I’m picturing, otherwise they sound like a rather poor choice of places to try to survive while on the run.
My impression of both places is they would be very difficult to hide on because of the volume of visitors those parks get.
4) The FBI agents entered the camper with a specimen container today. Any guesses as to what they may have been collecting?
View attachment 608902
Looks like a urine sample cup to me, but I could be wrong.

I have no idea about any of those questions.I would call the police and the FBI. The police because he is trespassing, and the FBI to let them know he was interjecting himself into the investigation.My impression of both places is they would be very difficult to hide on because of the volume of visitors those parks get. Looks like a urine sample cup to me, but I could be wrong.
Your comment made me realize the Laundries called the police faster on Dog than they did their missing son! :rotfl:

1) I thought the phone was purchased on the day he disappeared- the 14th?
I thought it was strange to go out and buy a phone but then leave it at the house when he was planning to go meditate in the park. Especially because at that time Gabby was still considered missing and wouldn't you want a phone on you in case there was word that she was found. Unless of course you knew she was already dead.

2) If his parents were really concerned about him being lost out there, possibly hurt or worse they probably would have reported him missing that same day when he failed to come home or the next day when they went to look for him.
Of course they probably wouldn't have taken his car back home either if they worried because he would need it to get home. Especially because he didn't have his new cell phone on him. If he was hurt and made it back to where his car was parked and it was gone he'd have no way to contact them or anyone else to come get him.
So yes I think if his parents were truly worried they would welcome anyone finding him.
Unless of course you didn't need help finding him because you knew he was somewhere else safe and sound.

4) I don't know what they normally use those containers to hold so I guess it could be just about anything they put in there.

Is this a phone that is considered to be a completely new number or is it the same number?

The story I read said it was not considered a burner phone but that Brian did open a new account with AT&T. Was he on his parents plan or something before?

The thing is these days most of your data including your text messages past phone calls even photos transfers although I think that is more difficult if you're going from a completely different type of phone (like an adroid to apple) but syncing pretty much takes care of a lot of things and I think it's much rarer for your phone number to not stay the same. Assuming syncing happened even if he deleted things there would be ways to get access to at least some things procedurally speaking though I don't know what the results would show.

I'm not sure about old phone vs new phone in the tracking part but I don't think it's a mistake that he left this new phone before he left.

1) I thought the phone was purchased on the day he disappeared- the 14th?
I thought it was strange to go out and buy a phone but then leave it at the house when he was planning to go meditate in the park. Especially because at that time Gabby was still considered missing and wouldn't you want a phone on you in case there was word that she was found. Unless of course you knew she was already dead.

2) If his parents were really concerned about him being lost out there, possibly hurt or worse they probably would have reported him missing that same day when he failed to come home or the next day when they went to look for him.
Of course they probably wouldn't have taken his car back home either if they worried because he would need it to get home. Especially because he didn't have his new cell phone on him. If he was hurt and made it back to where his car was parked and it was gone he'd have no way to contact them or anyone else to come get him.
So yes I think if his parents were truly worried they would welcome anyone finding him.
Unless of course you didn't need help finding him because you knew he was somewhere else safe and sound.

4) I don't know what they normally use those containers to hold so I guess it could be just about anything they put in there.
It was originally being reported as the 14th but the lawyer clarified that it was actually purchased on the 4th.
Is this a phone that is considered to be a completely new number or is it the same number?

The story I read said it was not considered a burner phone but that Brian did open a new account with AT&T. Was he on his parents plan or something before?

The thing is these days most of your data including your text messages past phone calls even photos transfers although I think that is more difficult if you're going from a completely different type of phone (like an adroid to apple) but syncing pretty much takes care of a lot of things and I think it's much rarer for your phone number to not stay the same. Assuming syncing happened even if he deleted things there would be ways to get access to at least some things procedurally speaking though I don't know what the results would show.

I'm not sure about old phone vs new phone in the tracking part but I don't think it's a mistake that he left this new phone before he left.
I don’t know the answers to any of your questions, sorry! I never even thought about him possibly syncing it to the old one — I’m pretty dim when it comes to technology. :scratchin

There are two islands being discussed. They are not sand-spits, though; more substantial than that. The first is Ft. de Soto County Park, which is just south of St. Petersburg, and connected to it by a spur of the Pinellas Bayway, so you can drive in.

Technically, Ft. deSoto Park is 2 islands, surrounded by shallows and salt flats, and at low tide it comprises quite a lot of ground. At high tide, not nearly as much. North Beach is the absolute best beach in Pinellas County, but popularity is tempered a bit by the fact that there is an admission fee. The centerpiece of the park is a stone fort that dates from the Spanish-American War. It's huge and has lots of nooks and crannies, but it is open to the public all the time, and rangers lead tours, too. There are not too many other closed structures in the park, just the fort, a ranger office, a kayak rental shack, and the Campground & North Beach snack bar/bathrooms. There are also some picnic pavilions, but they are open-air. There is plenty of fresh water; the park is on the St. Pete sewer & water system. The ferry that I've noted on this photo is the ferry to Egmont Key, which is the other island being speculated about.
Egmont is across the channel from Fort deSoto, 1.6 miles out. The ferry on the previous photo is the only way to get there other than a private boat. Egmont used to have a working lighthouse (which is still there, but no longer working), and it also had an Army hospital and once had a fish house; about 300 people lived on it just after the turn of the 19th century, but they left in the 1920s. There are about a dozen houses remaining, but as far as I know no one lives there now, except there are probably emergency quarters for the rangers. The harbor pilots office is based on Egmont as well, but they come to work by boat. Egmont has no source of fresh water; it's either brought over from St. Pete, or in the old days, caught in cisterns from rain. Part of Egmont is wooded, but mostly it's Palmetto scrub. The lack of fresh water means it would make a really bad hideout. There is a YouTube video someone made a while back where he explores Egmont:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter