Gabby Petito

The reason why the law was enacted was because the victims would call 911 and then when they saw their spouse being arrested, then all of a sudden nooooo they didn't do that to me. 2 weeks later, the victim was severly beaten or dead. I went on a few DV calls and that is how it went every time.
Exactly, but the result of the original Florida law was the same. Legislators were trying to prevent violence, but once the subject was actually arrested under the mandatory arrest requirement, they were furious with the partner and worse violence ensued.

Domestic violence cases are tough enough without putting ironclad requirements in the law. There is no one fix for every situation.

Oh, but it did result in injury. The police took photos of Brian’s injuries on the scene.

I am not 100% familiar with the facts of this case, so I apologize for my use of the word "injury" in lay terms when in my brain I was thinking of what is commonly considered "physical injury" in some states to be a specific legal term for a certain level of injury. In my mind, I was thinking about physical injury that required medical treatment rather than bruises, etc.

For example, in New York, a punch/strike/kick/slap than gave someone a bruise or redness may very well not even be criminal as it is considered harassment and the bruising and/or temporary discomfort doesn't rise to the level of "physical injury".

Whenever there is a viral incident like this, all the "woulda-done, coulda-done, shoulda-dones" come out later with penetrating critiques of the best possible things that were not done.

My city has had a few incidents in the last couple years where video footage (surveillance and/or body cam) was released to the public. It can be maddening when people say what police should have done when their suggestions are actually illegal (and would result in any evidence being suppressed) or more dangerous for the people involved.

One thing I love about body cams is that any case I handle involving a probable cause analysis gives me more than just radio traffic and police reports to make that call. I have only ever worked in NYS, so I'm used to a DeBour analysis (see link below for anyone interested) of police encounters. It means I can watch and listen to what happened before deciding whether to indict. It's really helpful in educating newer officers who may have gotten ahead of themselves based on the way an interaction played out. Even those of us who've made a career out of this job will still review cases with other attorneys as a "gut check" to make sure they see/hear what we do before we speak to the officers involved.

http://nassau18b.org/search_seizure/Debours Four Levels.pdf

My city has had a few incidents in the last couple years where video footage (surveillance and/or body cam) was released to the public. It can be maddening when people say what police should have done when their suggestions are actually illegal (and would result in any evidence being suppressed) or more dangerous for the people involved.
Very true. Most of us can dissect anything after the fact, but we're not always aware of the legalities. And legalities are critical -- not only for effective prosecution, but more importantly to protect some of our most important rights.

One thing I love about body cams is that any case I handle involving a probable cause analysis gives me more than just radio traffic and police reports to make that call.
And eyewitness statements, which are usually inaccurate.

When body cams first were proposed, there was a lot of resistance from police officers, police unions, etc. I always thought they were a good thing, because if properly activated they will show the FULL event from the perspective of the police officer. Especially in use of force complaints or discourtesy complaints, the FULL picture of what the officer was dealing with almost always vindicates the officer. (Not always, but it's critical to have an accurate record of bad behavior too.)

The officer's perspective is not the ONLY perspective that's important, but it is very helpful to have.

When body cams first were proposed, there was a lot of resistance from police officers, police unions, etc. I always thought they were a good thing, because if properly activated they will show the FULL event from the perspective of the police officer. Especially in use of force complaints or discourtesy complaints, the FULL picture of what the officer was dealing with almost always vindicates the officer. (Not always, but it's critical to have an accurate record of bad behavior too.)

Turns out they've been helpful to both sides. I still get frustrated by the people who think an officer should not be able to turn off the camera during their shift. All footage becomes public record and can be accessed by the public via the Freedom of Information Act. The storage space for that much footage alone would cost billions, not to mention the personnel that would be needed to watch and redact thousands of hours each DAY for an city department. You'd have footage of people using the restroom, female officers dealing with their period, calls from children, calls from doctors, discussions with undercover officers, and lots of places where they are not allowed to record.

I am not 100% familiar with the facts of this case, so I apologize for my use of the word "injury" in lay terms when in my brain I was thinking of what is commonly considered "physical injury" in some states to be a specific legal term for a certain level of injury. In my mind, I was thinking about physical injury that required medical treatment rather than bruises, etc.

For example, in New York, a punch/strike/kick/slap than gave someone a bruise or redness may very well not even be criminal as it is considered harassment and the bruising and/or temporary discomfort doesn't rise to the level of "physical injury".
Ah, gotcha. Back to your earlier comment about arrest vs. detention, the Utah officers in the video said the circumstances (living together, marks on both of them*) met the criteria of domestic assault and as such they were required to charge Gabby and place her under a no-contact order unless/until Brian went in person the following day to request the charge be dropped. They said they didn’t have to take her to jail if they could figure out a way to keep them separated that night, but if they couldn’t then they would have to take her to jail. So, she wasn’t under arrest, but they could detain her until the next day — am I understanding that right?

*I rewatched part of the video to make sure I had my facts straight before posting this and it was the first time I noticed the officer saying “She has some marks on her too.” They knew Brian withheld her keys, put her things out of the van, locked her out, shoved her, grabbed her face, was driving 30 miles over the limit and, apparently, left marks on her, (along with a dispatch call saying the man was slapping and hitting the woman) but it was a clear case of her being the aggressor? Up until now, I thought the decision of where to lay the blame came down to which party had signs of physical injury, but if they both did then I’m confused about how they so quickly decided Brian was the victim.

Last edited:
Turns out they've been helpful to both sides. I still get frustrated by the people who think an officer should not be able to turn off the camera during their shift. All footage becomes public record and can be accessed by the public via the Freedom of Information Act. The storage space for that much footage alone would cost billions, not to mention the personnel that would be needed to watch and redact thousands of hours each DAY for an city department. You'd have footage of people using the restroom, female officers dealing with their period, calls from children, calls from doctors, discussions with undercover officers, and lots of places where they are not allowed to record.
Yeah, I know when my department first tested them there was some very amusing footage!

Up until now, I thought the decision of where to lay the blame came down to which party had signs of physical injury, but if they both did then I’m confused about how they so quickly decided Brian was the victim.
To me where they came to the decision was through the talks with both of them but that an IMO moment. I realize there's various opinions here but I figured the officers took into consideration the call that got them out there, then discussed with the parties there (Gabby and Brian) and came to a decision there. I don't know if the outcome of this investigation will reflect anything regarding how the police handled it.

I'll defer to what you've said because I haven't watched the video as closely as I know some have but if the officers felt only one of the party met the definition of domestic assault that is pretty important (although we'll see how the investigation goes). I also guess I assumed because based on articles mentioning he slapping her she slapping him you know all that past stuff talked about on this thread that she could have some marks when the officers saw her, that wouldn't mean that one of the party isn't still considered the main one involved. I bruise easily personally speaking, I bump into crap all the time and get a bruise. While I wouldn't/am not like this I could imagine a situation in which I could get scratches or bruises or light marks and I be the person who went physically against my husband not the other way around. And if you saw my husband and saw me it'd be pretty easy to assume I'm the victim as I am only 5' 3" and my husband is 6' 5". He can easily subdue me but it doesn't mean I'm not capable (theoretically) of trying to harm him and actually leaving marks on him.

Storage isn't really an issue these days with cloud storage or massive storage devices. However, there might be technical requirements (including automatic backups and security) that can't be met by just buying off the shelf storage drives that might make it more expensive than just buying commercial storage devices.

*I rewatched part of the video to make sure I had my facts straight before posting this and it was the first time I noticed the officer saying “She has some marks on her too.” They knew Brian withheld her keys, put her things out of the van, locked her out, shoved her, grabbed her face, was driving 30 miles over the limit and, apparently, left marks on her, (along with a dispatch call saying the man was slapping and hitting the woman) but it was a clear case of her being the aggressor? Up until now, I thought the decision of where to lay the blame came down to which party had signs of physical injury, but if they both did then I’m confused about how they so quickly decided Brian was the victim.
My own thought is that there were reports of aggression from both of them. But in his interview he focused on what she did to him. And in her interview she also focused on blaming herself. Which unfortunately could have just been her trying to deescalate the situation to avoid making him angry. Seems like something that would be fairly typical of abuse victims (blaming themselves to try and deescalate things). I'd like to think police would be on the lookout for that, but they seemed to take everything here at face value. In their defense, I'm sure it's hard to read between the lines standing on the side of the road. And I'm not sure what they would have done with the situation anyway. She was an adult and was across the country from family and friends.

Part of the reason I delayed watching that video in its entirety for so long was that the bits I had seen just made me so uncomfortable. She just looked desperate. And I had the feeling she was desperate to avoid making him angry.

My own thought is that there were reports of aggression from both of them. But in his interview he focused on what she did to him. And in her interview she also focused on blaming herself. Which unfortunately could have just been her trying to deescalate the situation to avoid making him angry. Seems like something that would be fairly typical of abuse victims (blaming themselves to try and deescalate things). I'd like to think police would be on the lookout for that, but they seemed to take everything here at face value. In their defense, I'm sure it's hard to read between the lines standing on the side of the road. And I'm not sure what they would have done with the situation anyway. She was an adult and was across the country from family and friends.

Part of the reason I delayed watching that video in its entirety for so long was that the bits I had seen just made me so uncomfortable. She just looked desperate. And I had the feeling she was desperate to avoid making him angry.
I agree with everything you said. I also agree that part of the problem is, even if the police had correctly identified her as a victim of domestic abuse… then what? Say one of them had pulled her aside and said, “Hey Gabby, we know he’s abusing you and we can take you out of here right now,” where would that leave her? She would be thinking okay, can I afford a flight home? Well, it’s my van, so unless I’m going to abandon it, he’s the one who needs to get the flight home. But then I’m stuck driving across the country by myself. All my things are in his parents’ house because that’s where I live and he’ll be waiting for me when I get there. He knows where I work so I’ll have to quit my job. I probably can’t afford to live on my own anyway so I’ll have to move back with my parents in NY. Of course, he knows exactly where to find me there and then I’m bringing that drama to their door where my five younger siblings will witness it and if he does show up there in one of his rages, will someone in my family try to get involved and then get hurt?

There’s a lot to sort out when trying to get out of an abusive situation and it can’t be figured out during a police stop on the side of the road. It’s a much longer process that involves first recognizing you’re in an abusive relationship, finding the courage to break away, then laying the groundwork for an exit. Police can’t fix these problems in 60 minutes even if they recognized it and wanted to and that’s why I wish there were better services in place for handling these things.

Does there always have to be a victim? If two people, in an equal and consensual relationship, are persistently and repeatedly physically violent or emotionally abusive to each other, and willingly and consciously choose to remain in that relationship, surely neither are victims? Or do they both become victims? Or does the person most injured always become the victim? Surely one has to look at the pattern of behaviour? If this is an ‘on Monday she hit him, on Tuesday he hit her, on Wednesday they hit each other etc., situation, so that for this couple it what they have chosen as their ‘normal’ perhaps one needs to not focus on the ‘final incident’, however that is defined?
I am not suggesting that domestic violence is ever right, but just wondering about how it is ‘policed’, using the wider meaning of that word, when both parties are equally abusive, have normalised abuse and choose to live that way.

Does there always have to be a victim? If two people, in an equal and consensual relationship, are persistently and repeatedly physically violent or emotionally abusive to each other, and willingly and consciously choose to remain in that relationship, surely neither are victims? Or do they both become victims? Or does the person most injured always become the victim? Surely one has to look at the pattern of behaviour? If this is an ‘on Monday she hit him, on Tuesday he hit her, on Wednesday they hit each other etc., situation, so that for this couple it what they have chosen as their ‘normal’ perhaps one needs to not focus on the ‘final incident’, however that is defined?
I am not suggesting that domestic violence is ever right, but just wondering about how it is ‘policed’, using the wider meaning of that word, when both parties are equally abusive, have normalised abuse and choose to live that way.

That is not the norm.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said. I also agree that part of the problem is, even if the police had correctly identified her as a victim of domestic abuse… then what? Say one of them had pulled her aside and said, “Hey Gabby, we know he’s abusing you and we can take you out of here right now,” where would that leave her? She would be thinking okay, can I afford a flight home? Well, it’s my van, so unless I’m going to abandon it, he’s the one who needs to get the flight home. But then I’m stuck driving across the country by myself. All my things are in his parents’ house because that’s where I live and he’ll be waiting for me when I get there. He knows where I work so I’ll have to quit my job. I probably can’t afford to live on my own anyway so I’ll have to move back with my parents in NY. Of course, he knows exactly where to find me there and then I’m bringing that drama to their door where my five younger siblings will witness it and if he does show up there in one of his rages, will someone in my family try to get involved and then get hurt?

There’s a lot to sort out when trying to get out of an abusive situation and it can’t be figured out during a police stop on the side of the road. It’s a much longer process that involves first recognizing you’re in an abusive relationship, finding the courage to break away, then laying the groundwork for an exit. Police can’t fix these problems in 60 minutes even if they recognized it and wanted to and that’s why I wish there were better services in place for handling these things.
Yes, and I think all of that is bundled up in the desperation we see on her face in that bodycam footage.

Ultimately I think the biggest mistake she made was getting in that van and traveling across the country with him. And perhaps moving to a state far from home to live with him and his family. We don't know much about her life living in FL. But we know she was living with her eventual killer and parents who would go to the ends of the earth to protect him.

It's hard enough to help someone close to home and near people who love them. I honestly don't know what services could have helped her once she got into the van for an extended trip.

We really don't know much about their relationship for certain. But we do know that only one of them died in a homicide, the other of which likely had something to do with it.

At this point with her dead and him not talking to authorities and going on the run, I'm not believing a word he said before or going forward.

Maybe he was abusing her, maybe he wasn’t. They’ve been dating for years, in high school, I’ve spent a lot of time with my teen/young adults and their SO’s, if I suspected any disfunction I would not support them living and traveling together, I think I read that the father though Brian was an ok guy. I also have witnessed toxic relationships of my friends and their SO’s/spouses, especially with controlling men (fortunately they ended). I don’t know how one hour of camera footage can be enough evidence of abuse.

It was the first I’d heard of the dispatch audio being released, and I knew people had been questioning what info the officers had when they arrived on the scene, so I posted it because it clears up that question.

Who’s in a better position to evaluate the people involved? One could argue that the person who witnessed him hitting her had a clearer understanding of what happened over the officers who showed up after the fact, saw nothing firsthand, and were trying to piece together the story based on what the involved parties were willing, or not willing, to say based on their own motivations. Especially when one half of the involved parties, Gabby, couldn’t even really give a coherent description of what transpired. Most of her answers boiled down to “I don’t know what happened, I just know it’s my fault.” Oddly, some of the very few things she could say confidently, that Brian corroborated himself, were, 1) he was withholding her keys to her van, 2) he got in the driver’s seat and locked her out of her van, and 3) he grabbed her face. With these facts, it’s easy to imagine a scenario where he was threatening to drive off without her, whipping her anxiety into a frenzy as was probably his goal. The witness reporting that he was slapping/hitting her should’ve further put the spotlight on Brian as the agitator. But, because the police saw a calm, friendly guy joking and laughing and a crying girl who was willing to take 100% of the blame, they gave him travel tips and a ride to a free hotel for the night and wrote her off as mentally unstable.

We know the police got it wrong, but I’m not blaming them for not recognizing her as a victim of abuse at the time. I doubt their training gives them enough expertise to properly access mental health and/or domestic abuse cases in an hour while standing on the side of the road. A domestic violence counselor, however, would’ve seen right through this and would’ve been in a better position to talk to Gabby and set her up with resources. Instead of expecting police to sort out these types of complex situations, determine who is at fault, and issue citations/make arrests on the spot, perhaps it’d be better to shuttle the involved parties off to professionals who are better trained to understand these things and go from there.

I do think the police dropped the ball a few times. First, with the fact that they had been told the man was hitting the woman, yet they seemed to completely overlook that part by the time they were on the scene. Second, they called one of the witnesses, Christopher, while on the scene to hear his account directly. Christopher said he saw them physically engaged but couldn’t tell who was the aggressor, which the officers later used as evidence that Brian’s retelling of the incident checked out. But why didn’t the police call the other witness, the one who reported the man was hitting the woman? Would it have changed how the police handled this if the witness had insisted Brian was the aggressor? And third, they straight up missed Brian lying to them about not having a cell phone, which was his reason for why the argument escalated like it did. He literally pulled his phone out of his pocket in front of them and gave the officers his cell number after telling them he didn’t have one. :sad2:

I never noticed that part before about the cell phone, that is interesting. Why would he lie and seems if you lie the police should absolutely take that into consideration. That being said, she had no marks on her and I think that would have cinched it, but given that she herself is saying that she hit him and he did not hit her and goes on and on about how she can be out of control etc., they may actually have to take it face value unless there is more evidence in front of them at the time. I don't know. But I do not believe the police that did that stop are the ones at fault for her death. BUT I am going to edit this bc I do see now that they were told beforehand that someone saw him slapping her. I don't know maybe they should have done more, it's hard to know.

Last edited:
We really don't know much about their relationship for certain. But we do know that only one of them died in a homicide, the other of which likely had something to do with it.

At this point with her dead and him not talking to authorities and going on the run, I'm not believing a word he said before or going forward.
I hear you but in truth none of that means they weren't both awful to each other as in that being a possibility. That's a completely separate issue and one the poster you were quoting was attempting to address. As far as we really don't know much about their relationship well this thread has some people very convinced what their relationship was..well at least some people are.

I don't know. But I do not believe the police that did that stop are the ones at fault for her death.
I don’t either. I think a lot of people are looking at this and and saying "if only". But I’m not sure what they could’ve done even if they had more information.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter