Gabby Petito

So relating to which cases get media attention, I just want to mention this and it is strictly a math/statistics observation. Of the 89,637 active missing persons cases from 2020, about 45% were females (40,576). Out of those 40,576 females, 51% were white (20,990). So what I’m saying is that out of those almost 21,000 white women, how many of them have you heard about in the media? Again, what I’m saying is, I don’t think it’s necessarily a “missing white woman syndrome”, in my opinion, there is an overall lack of media attention to all missing persons.

Also I have seen cases where someone that is blonde story downplayed and I think should not be. We were driving down to WDW actually a few months ago and a story popped into my phone as I was driving near South of the Border. I believe it occurred around there somewhere. It was about a couple foster parents that had been on a reality TV show, I think maybe a cooking show, and the foster dad and mom had murdered the little 3 year old girl who was a blue eyed little blonde bc she didn't eat her pancakes and the parents were another race. Beat her to death for not eating her pancake, 3 years old.. Did anyone see that story? I was so stunned and disturbed bc I really didn't see anything about it other than a really small story that popped into my phone and never saw anything again anywhere. So what the news chooses to fixate on sometimes driven by other things also. Sorry if off topic.

Last edited:
Please can we keep the political debates out of this thread so the thread doesn't get shut down?
??

All the hypotheticals about why this is getting so much coverage- has anyone even thought that maybe it was her dad who reached out to every and any new station he could? He may be a complete buttwipe, but he seems to have the time to make interviews on every news station possible that I have seen and make statements for newspapers early on. Most situations where police are involved people are advised not to speak out or go to the media as it could harm or disrupt the real leads for the case. In this case- I don’t think the dad cared what the police wanted-he was going to do what he thought best and that was screaming from the rooftops so to speak. If I was one of Gabby’s parents- I would have done the same- keep screaming until someone listens and takes off with it-no matter what the color of my or anyone else’s skin, hair color, financial situation, etc…

This is making the assumption that if you were a person of color, poor, or otherwise less powerful that you would be listened to in the same way. That's not the way the current world works.

Also I have seen cases where someone that is blonde story downplayed and I think should not be. We were driving down to WDW a few months ago and a story popped into my phone as I was driving near South of the Border. I believe it occurred around there somewhere. It was about a couple foster parents that had been on a reality TV show, I think maybe a cooking show, and the foster dad and mom had murdered the little 3 year old girl who was a big blue eyed little blonde bc she didn't eat her pancakes and they were POC. Beat her to death. Did anyone see that story? I was so stunned and disturbed bc I really didn't see anything about it other than a really small story that popped into my phone and never saw anything again anywhere. So what the news chooses to fixate on sometimes driven by other things also.
That’s basically the same bias though. Much more media attention is given to minorities who harm their children.

So relating to which cases get media attention, I just want to mention this and it is strictly a math/statistics observation. Of the 89,637 active missing persons cases from 2020, about 45% were females (40,576). Out of those 40,576 females, 51% were white (20,990). So what I’m saying is that out of those almost 21,000 white women, how many of them have you heard about in the media? Again, what I’m saying is, I don’t think it’s necessarily a “missing white woman syndrome”, in my opinion, there is an overall lack of media attention to all missing persons.
Incorrect. It’s (mostly) implicit bias plain and simple. Not sure why people are so reticent to admit this.

That’s basically the same bias though. Much more media attention is given to minorities who harm their children.

Actually the opposite, my point is there was VERY little attention given to that story, that is my point. The story was downplayed, just a very tiny little story when for me it should have been all over. And race was never mentioned, the race of the parents or they happened to be POC. So no it was opposite what you say here. It also was not out of the area or went national, it was not a story up where I live, but I saw it bc I happened to be traveling through that area. Even with them being reality TV people or at least on a reality TV cooking show, it still got very little media attention. Did you ever hear the story? Just asking. I bet not. I think reality TV show people beating a 3 year old to death for not eating her pancakes should have been a bigger story and gone national.

Incorrect. It’s (mostly) implicit bias plain and simple. Not sure why people are so reticent to admit this.
Can you clarify what part of my post you are saying is Incorrect? Do you have any data to prove the media coverage of this case is because of implicit bias, or is that just your gut feeling?

I know! It’s mind-boggling! Why do ppl fight that so much?!
I think a lot of people fight it because they don’t believe that everything is racially based.

Can you clarify what part of my post you are saying is Incorrect? Do you have any data to prove the media coverage of this case is because of implicit bias, or is that just your gut feeling?

I think a lot of people fight it because they don’t believe that everything is racially based.
Because that’s what they want to believe b/c it fits their own narrative. I think it’s also probably b/c a lot of ppl on these boards don’t live in racially diverse areas.

Because that’s what they want to believe b/c it fits their own narrative. I think it’s also probably b/c a lot of ppl on these boards don’t live in racially diverse areas.

Really, I live in the NY suburbs. I was raised in a middle class/working class town that was 30% POC and went up to about 40% by the time I was in high school when a large affordable housing complex was built, and now is about 90% bc of the large recent influx of hispanic, and my dad still lives there. My husband works for a power company in NYC and half the employees are POC. It is now not abnormal in many of these towns where white people are becoming the minority all up along the gorgeous Hudson River in beautiful picturesque towns, and all are racially diverse to varying degrees. I also live in a county that has the highest taxes and home prices in the country, so it ranges from middle class, poorer to very wealthy. Celebrities, politicians all live within half hour or so. Get any more diverse for you? I think people like YOU are the ones that do NOT live in a racially diverse area.

Last edited:
Just to put in perspective how huge the issue of media coverage would be. In 2020, there were a total of 89,637 active missing person cases in the US. There would need to be whole news networks dedicated just to missing persons stories, so sadly that will probably never happen.
View attachment 607067
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository...n-and-unidentified-person-statistics.pdf/view
And yet there are channels filled with directories of tv shows, blank stations… why can’t there be a “ known” channel like we all know 911, that ONLY runs missing persons, relative to the state or area? Run aways, missing trafficked etc… just All Missing people …
WHY, ? Because there’s no money in it for the cable Or tv carriers. Sad :(
One would Think for All the money we pay for tv Every Single State could have 1 dedicated channel for itscounty/state missing persons. And why not?

.. so reticent to admit it.. ?
I don’t necessarily disagree with this BUT…

This is Exactly the Point.. it’s Your Point of View or others are wrong and won’t admit it…
the New Normal, agree with My thought/opinion or …Your Wrong
Nuf said.. just making an observation.

And yet there are channels filled with directories of tv shows, blank stations… why can’t there be a “ known” channel like we all know 911, that ONLY runs missing persons, relative to the state or area? Run aways, missing trafficked etc… just All Missing people …
WHY, ? Because there’s no money in it for the cable Or tv carriers. Sad :(
One would Think for All the money we pay for tv Every Single State could have 1 dedicated channel for itscounty/state missing persons. And why not?
Maybe the milk industry would sponsor it. You know, like a digital milk carton ad?

.. so reticent to admit it.. ?
I don’t necessarily disagree with this BUT…

This is Exactly the Point.. it’s Your Point of View or others are wrong and won’t admit it…
the New Normal, agree with My thought/opinion or …Your Wrong
Nuf said.. just making an observation.
An acknowledgement that implicit bias exists is not a point of view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter