Gabby Petito

According to a "source close to the parents", Brian left last Tuesday for the reserve with only his backpack, leaving his phone and wallet behind and that is apparently why the parents were concerned he was going to hurt himself.

I guess without a wallet or phone, he can't be too far, unless he has a burner phone and a ton of cash with him as well as a fake ID...

According to a "source close to the parents", Brian left last Tuesday for the reserve with only his backpack, leaving his phone and wallet behind and that is apparently why the parents were concerned he was going to hurt himself.

I guess without a wallet or phone, he can't be too far, unless he has a burner phone and a ton of cash with him as well as a fake ID...
My speculation, I've thought for awhile he was provided a burner phone and cash before he left the house.
I can't see him leaving without a way to contact mom.
What happened after? No theories yet.

If his parents are willing to drive 150 miles to meet with their attorney. He's definitely out of the country.
Maybe that other person was right about him fleeing the country as fast as possible. Canada would be a far way from Florida but Mexico is much closer.

Please can we keep the political debates out of this thread so the thread doesn't get shut down?

I have to tell you something interesting. Where I live in my state and area it is not IN or popular to have blonde hair, at all. And hasn't been for many years. My niece was a strawberry blonde that made her hair black. A friend I hadn't seen in twenty years who was always blonde I just saw a couple days ago at a Bridal shower and I didn't recognize her bc she now has long curly black hair, hair extensions too. She got mad at me too bc I didn't recognize her lol. If you look at the culture and generation of pop stars now, most are dark haired, or POC. In my area in Northeast it has been that way for many years now, particularly with Jersey Shore, Kardashians, etc. Commercials on TV, rare if any blondes, and always people of color or mixed couples, or people that can pass for a variety of cultures. We have a friend whose kid does commercials, they like him just for that reason. So I am not saying it doesn't happen but what I am saying is true too. Even body shape has changed, they even got rid of the models Angels from Victoria Secret. In my day it was about Heather Locklear, Farrah Fawcett, Stevie Nicks. Nowadays no pop star etc looks like them in anyway, they now have darker skin, darker hair and big booties. And the kids try to look like them the same way I had a Farrah haircut. There is change happening.

So you are saying that because young pop stars/actors are mostly no longer northern European in appearance, we can expect that the tabloid news media are now going to do a 180 and decide that the cases of missing white women are not as profitable to exploit as those of more southern-hemisphere appearance? I think it's not that simple.

As someone else pointed out, the primary selling point of stories like these is fear. The audience they are looking to scare is not people who look like the missing person, or aspire to, but older people who think that young-people-who-look-like-the-missing-person lead charmed lives. So it is exploitation of the fear of what's possible for someone else that tends to drive it, as in, if it could happen to this perfect Barbie-looking girl, could it not happen to your grand-daughter? It's not only race that factors into it, but age; the victims who get the most attention are not only pretty and thin, but almost invariably young, too.

About a decade ago, a woman of my acquaintance was killed by the guy she was dating; he claimed accidentally. (She was white, as it happens, and about 50 years old.) They had been at a party, and they started to get into a disagreement, she said that she wanted to leave and be taken home, so they left. 5 minutes later he ran back to the house yelling that something was wrong with her. She was lying on the lawn, not breathing, with apparently not a scratch on her. At first the authorities thought she'd died of natural causes, a heart attack or maybe a stroke, though she was very petite and had no medical history of cardiac problems, but she did have arthritis. A family member insisted on an autopsy, and that's when it was discovered that her neck was broken. He had grabbed her by the shoulders and shaken her, and her neck snapped, killing her instantly. He didn't even realize in that moment that he had killed her. It turned out that he had a history of domestic violence, and had previously served jail time for an assault on a different woman. There was almost no publicity about her death, not even locally; I remember having to hunt for a news article when I heard that charges had been filed. It took a while for the wheels of justice to turn, but 2 years after she died he was convicted of second-degree murder. He claimed it was an accident, that he never meant to kill her, but the prosecution successfully argued that he certainly did mean to *hurt* her, both on that occasion and on other occasions when people had seen him lay hands on her, and that that was enough to show malice aforethought. He was sentenced to about 25 years in prison for the killing, but that story was a tiny blip on the radar as well; a single paragraph in the newspaper, buried deep in the local news section; no television reports as I recall.

So, why wasn't there big news coverage? Mostly her age, I think, and the fact that there was no prolonged mystery about how she died and who had killed her. There was no suspense in the story, so it did not, as they say, have "legs". She was a very nice person, may she rest in peace.

PS: I looked at a local news archive to refresh my memory about that case, and the one thing that struck me in the coverage I was able to find is that every mention of the incident referred to the home where she died as being in an "upscale neighborhood", but the victim did not live there, and was definitely not wealthy. That's another part of the typical pattern; the poorer the victim, the less coverage.

Last edited:
All the hypotheticals about why this is getting so much coverage- has anyone even thought that maybe it was her dad who reached out to every and any new station he could? He may be a complete buttwipe, but he seems to have the time to make interviews on every news station possible that I have seen and make statements for newspapers early on. Most situations where police are involved people are advised not to speak out or go to the media as it could harm or disrupt the real leads for the case. In this case- I don’t think the dad cared what the police wanted-he was going to do what he thought best and that was screaming from the rooftops so to speak. If I was one of Gabby’s parents- I would have done the same- keep screaming until someone listens and takes off with it-no matter what the color of my or anyone else’s skin, hair color, financial situation, etc…

So you are saying that because young pop stars/actors are mostly no longer northern European in appearance, we can expect that the tabloid news media are now going to do a 180 and decide that the cases of missing white women are not as profitable to exploit as those of more southern-hemisphere appearance? I think it's not that simple.

As someone else pointed out, the primary selling point of stories like these is fear. The audience they are looking to scare is not people who look like the missing person, or aspire to, but older people who think that young-people-who-look-like-the-missing-person lead charmed lives. So it is exploitation of the fear of what's possible for someone else that tends to drive it, as in, if it could happen to this perfect Barbie-looking girl, could it not happen to your grand-daughter? It's not only race that factors into it, but age; the victims who get the most attention are not only pretty and thin, but almost invariably young, too.

About a decade ago, a woman of my acquaintance was killed by the guy she was dating; he claimed accidentally. (She was white, as it happens, and about 50 years old.) They had been at a party, and they started to get into a disagreement, she said that she wanted to leave and be taken home, so they left. 5 minutes later he ran back to the house yelling that something was wrong with her. She was lying on the lawn, not breathing, with apparently not a scratch on her. At first the authorities thought she'd died of natural causes, a heart attack or maybe a stroke, though she was very petite and had no medical history of cardiac problems, but she did have arthritis. A family member insisted on an autopsy, and that's when it was discovered that her neck was broken. He had grabbed her by the shoulders and shaken her, and her neck snapped, killing her instantly. He didn't even realize in that moment that he had killed her. It turned out that he had a history of domestic violence, and had previously served jail time for an assault on a different woman. There was almost no publicity about her death, not even locally; I remember having to hunt for a news article when I heard that charges had been filed. It took a while for the wheels of justice to turn, but 2 years after she died he was convicted of second-degree murder. He claimed it was an accident, that he never meant to kill her, but the prosecution successfully argued that he certainly did mean to *hurt* her, both on that occasion and on other occasions when people had seen him lay hands on her, and that that was enough to show malice aforethought. He was sentenced to about 25 years in prison for the killing, but that story was a tiny blip on the radar as well; a single paragraph in the newspaper, buried deep in the local news section; no television reports as I recall.

So, why wasn't there big news coverage? Mostly her age, I think, and the fact that there was no prolonged mystery about how she died and who had killed her. There was no suspense in the story, so it did not, as they say, have "legs". She was a very nice person, may she rest in peace.

What? Lol. Uh, No, I did NOT say that. I mentioned bc it was interesting, but I don't think people or the news only care about blondes, and blondes are not even really popular in today's culture, so just thought interesting to mention. If the news thought that another case would make money, they would push that one. This case makes them lots of money bc is intriguing, has lots of twists and turns and is like a movie, and has all those shock elements for a story. Sadly that is what sells and people are into. Also social media has pushed this story as she was a blogger. The ones on social media are trying to be amateur sleuths like many here are this is all over Twitter and Tik Tok etc etc. Social media gets a lot of stuff done and can put pressure on issues. I do not think this is just white missing woman syndrome in this case. It may play an element but not the driving real issue.

Last edited:
She's no longer missing, but LE is pursuing a known suspect so it's going to be in the news for awhile. This is good if it helps catch the suspect.

So concerned they didn’t bother notifying anyone when he didn’t come home that night. Nor did they contact police when they found his car abandoned at the reserve the next day. Just as they still didn’t contact police the following day when they went back to pick up the abandoned vehicle, leaving him without a way to get home should he try to come back to his car. Nope, they were so concerned for his safety that they waited until the next day to notify authorities, after their son had supposedly been missing in the hostile environment of a vast Florida swampland for three full days and nights. Yep, they totally acted as one would expect any parent to do when they’re concerned their child may have hurt himself.

Any word on where his gun is? I wonder if the search of the swamp continues because the authorities have reason to believe that’s where the murder weapon was dumped, not because they’re looking for him. They have to know he’s not there by now and probably never was.

Last edited:
Gun? What gun? I don't watch Tiktok videos, but this is the first I've heard about guns in relation to this case. Did he have a history as a gun enthusiast?

Gun? What gun? I don't watch Tiktok videos, but this is the first I've heard about guns in relation to this case. Did he have a history as a gun enthusiast?

In the pictures of his bedroom he had a gun hanging on the wall.

There's never been anything official published about the gun in his bedroom. In photos that were published by some press outlets, something that appears to be a gun can be seen hanging on the wall. not sure exactly where the pictures came from. It could be a handgun that is either in a holster or has been painted with red and white stripes, but it's never been confirmed that it's even a real gun. If he had a gun, I might wonder if he took it with him on the road trip, or when he went on the run, or if he intended to kill himself.

Edit - The photos were from a 2017 real estate listing, when his parents briefly put the house on the market. I don't know if Brian was even living there in 2017. The room does appear to be a young male's bedroom.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter