FYI-Heavy Wind Advisory NYE could mean cancelled fireworks!

I've been wondering how the fireworks situation has been at the parks. I'm up in LA and it was so windy last week! Especially on Christmas! Hopefully those that go tomorrow night get to see their fireworks!

I think this is a really good argument for the addition of the Mickey mix magic shows that can run with or without the fireworks.

The last time we were at the parks for NYE when there was a wind advisory (several years ago, I think), we were sure there weren't going to be any fireworks at midnight. Then, Disney ran fireworks anyway at the last minute! So, the show could likely get cancelled. But... you never know, so don't give up all hope.

The last time we were at the parks for NYE when there was a wind advisory (several years ago, I think), we were sure there weren't going to be any fireworks at midnight. Then, Disney ran fireworks anyway at the last minute! So, the show could likely get cancelled. But... you never know, so don't give up all hope.
I wonder if because it’s NYE and not some random night the wind restrictions aren’t what they would normally be.

I wonder if because it’s NYE and not some random night the wind restrictions aren’t what they would normally be.

Yes, we were really surprised that the show went on that night, but assumed it was because of all the extra pressure that was on the parks because it was NYE.

I'm about an hour south of DL and it's pouring here right now. It's supposed to stop by evening but expecting winds to come in after that, we'll see how it goes. I don't think Disneyland is the one who gets to decide if the fireworks go or not, if the test balloons show the wind is too strong or going in a particular direction, the fire marshal will cancel them. I have seen them be delayed slightly waiting for a break or shift in the wind though.

So apparently even Disneyland is alerting guests now! Reports of in-park audio announcements and push notifications on the app.

Also on one of their official twitter accounts:
93F99C16-7AF4-4C27-82D1-F8D59E387511.png

I think it’s good they are at least being proactive about preparing people to be disappointed! It’s unfortunate, but they need to be safe too. (I’m a fire protection engineer-my office worked on the design of the ARTIC train station in Anaheim. It’s super close to Angel Stadium and the firework launch area for them. The engineers had to do a special study making sure the fireworks couldn’t light the building on fire!)

What happened with midnight show?
I think they went off. I was in dca at midnight.

Edit: found something on Twitter. They only shot off a couple of fireworks, that’s it.

DCA had fireworks only on the bay. None behind incredicoaster, so I think it was a modified show cause in years past there have been bursts shot off from behind the coaster. Still a decent amount of pyro. They used the fire effects from woc and one mist screen at the end to display a new year’s message.

No fireworks at DL. It was announced right before that there wouldn't be any. Then the countdown started. Lots of lights on Main Street buildings, music, dancing, etc. The atmosphere was pretty festive, even without the pyrotechnics. If you didn't know what you were missing, you might not notice the lack of fireworks. Crowds were noticeably lighter, though, probably because of the previous announcements that fireworks might get cancelled and because of the cold weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter