• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI: Florida is HOT in August

Great Trip Report!

You have such a cute family. Your husband reminds me of Taylor Hicks ((Do you know who that it?))

I understand how annoying it is to come back to your hotel in the middle of the day and it not being clean. That happend to us several times on our last trip.

Well, it looks like you had a fabulous time, can't wait to hear more! popcorn::

I know who Taylor Hicks is (didn't a hotel clerk on your vacation look like Taylor hicks too???;) ) Mostly people say he looks like Chi Chi Rodriguez the golfer.

We did feel that by 4 in the afternoon the room should have been done. I know the rooms that new guests are waiting on are first priority, but maybe they need more help to be able to get all the rooms done earlier.

Thanks for reading,

Leslie

Mickeefan
LeslieR:

Waiting for an update!

Mikeefan: I'll get to it soon, you know I'm super busy at work! :surfweb: :rotfl:

happymommy
Enjoying this report! Now I've learned from several reports that I need to let them know when we're leaving the room that we may want it made up early!

Your son looks so similar to my nephew - too cute!

Happymommy:
I think the hotels need those hangers for the knobs so they know when your ready for the room to be made up.

I talked my son into letting his hair grow out a few years ago...now I'm ready for him to get it short again. The long hair is cute, but it makes him look older. I want him to be a baby again. :laughing:

Leslie

Yeah I did. :idea: HEY!!! Does you husband work at the Meridian Palms resort?!?!

Or Maybe I just got Taylor Hicks on my mind! I think he's a cutie!;)

Day 3 Already!

Tonight we had plans for the Luau at The Royal Pacific. It started around 6 so we decided to get to the park early so we could squeeze in some pool time before dinner.

We had our usual light breakfast in the room –we really loved the coffee maker. Thinking ahead, we dressed in “water ride friendly” clothes today. We started at US to hit our favs. With the Bonnine coursing through his veins Dave was able to keep his eyes open through the whole Simpson’s ride this time. He agreed it was good “especially since I’m not puking on my shoes this time”.

P1040822.jpg

Then of course we had to do men MIB again. Daves score was consistently around 255,000. Connor kept getting about 185,000 and I got about 155,000. Not too great. That’s a fun ride.

It was also about this time that Dave started making faces at the cameras in every ride that had them. They turned out really funny so we all started making faces when we knew the camera was coming up. One picture on the Mummy he was leaning over kissing Connor on the cheek. It was great, Connor had no idea until he saw the pic. Too funny. I wanted to take a picture of the picture, but I didn’t feel right about that. We had fun with it though.

We made our way around the studios and rode just about everything. I don’t think we missed anything. It was lunch time so as we were crossing over to IOA we stopped at Margaritaville for a light lunch. We decided to split the nachos. It was plenty for the three of us. I was hoping to talk Connor into sharing the crab dip with me but the nachos were more than enough—darn. My Long Island Iced Tea was refreshing. Dave had a fru-fru drink that I can’t remember the name of--it was really good too! And I forgot pictures again.

After lunch it was straight to Islands. On our way through Seuss we stopped to "feed the fish". We knew they were supposed to squirt you if you tossed a coin in their mouth so Dave emptied his pockets. We got a few coins in and nothing happened. Connor noticed another fish on the other side of the pond. We had one last coin. Dave tossed it in and brother, did he get squirted! We laughed pretty hard -- none of us expected it since the first fish hadn't worked.

P1040823-1.jpg

“My pockets are empty and I’m out of money. I got all wet and you think it’s funny.”
-Dave

We enjoyed the park and meandered our way around to Posidon. It was nice this time because it wasn’t jam packed like it has been on previous vacations. We were able to be closer to the front, therefore able to see more. Pretty cool.

We made our way through the rest of the park hitting most of the other rides (making faces at the cameras where possible). After getting thoroughly soaked on the water rides we were worn out so we headed “home” to the Hard Rock.

P1040800.jpg

This picture is in the hallway on the 6th floor. Mick Jagger has always been one of my favorites. And this was my favorite picture of him in the hotel. puckerup:

It was about 3:30 by the time we got back. (Room not made up again today. Mentioned it to the front desk again…) So back to our favorite perch by the pool for Dave and me; Connor went back to the arcade. We're shade people so to get chairs in the shade you sort of give up your view, but it was nice because it felt like we had our own little private garden.

P1040776.jpg

After our break we got cleaned up and headed down to the boat dock to pick up the water taxi. We took the boat to City Walk, then jumped on the Royal Pacific boat. Made it to the luau around 5:45. They say seating is first come first serve, but our table was already reserved. The food was pretty--and good—sorry no pictures. It was a buffet. Too many people in line to take pictures. The show was pretty good too. The music and dancers were entertaining.

About half way through the show they started announcing anniversaries and birthdays. This is the moment I had been waiting for. When I made reservations for the luau the ticket lady offered to make it “memorable for Connors birthday”. Of course I never mentioned anything about it to Connor. They called Connor up on stage along with a bunch of other kids. He was NOT happy about it. When they called his name he gave me this alarmed look and kept saying "What am I supposed to do?" in a tone that was very urgent.

P1040819-1.jpg

Connor’s a good sport, he played along. You can see his enthusiasm in the pictures. At least he wasn’t the only one up there! The tallest, and oldest maybe, but not the only one.

P1040815.jpg

P1040816.jpg

During the show it started to storm. It was a pretty good thunder and lightning storm. (This was the only time it rained while we were in Florida.) The breeze felt so good but then they started shutting the tent sides to keep the rain out…NOOOOOOOO don’t cut off the breeze!!! I thought I was going to melt. It quit raining soon and they opened up the tent walls again whew!….Oh, and the show is already over. It seemed like it came to an abrupt end. That seemed quick. I think it lasted about an hour. So it was only 8 o’clock. We headed back to our hotel to change into more comfortable clothes.

When I made our hotel reservations back in April I had mentioned that we would be celebrating Connors 14th birthday during our stay. When we returned from the luau guest services had delivered an awesome Birthday tray for Connor. It had three big chocolate cookie sandwiches filled with icing, a chocolate guitar, some chocolate covered almonds and a chocolate CD in a Hard Rock tin. There was also a boxed CD of various Hard Rock music selections.

P1040787.jpg

What a great surprise!

P1040783.jpg

It was a super ending to an excellent day.

I have motion sickness issues, and I have a question. You said your dh shut his eyes through a lot of the Simpson ride....could he still feel the sensations from the ride, or do you need to be looking at the screen for that? I am going to pick up some of the Bonnine, but I am still worried.

Great update! Connor does look excited to be on stage! :rotfl:

Your report almost makes me want to go to Universal, NOT! Although, I will definately need to go check out the Harry Potter area when it opens. Until then, you'll find me at Disney World. :love:

Great update! Connor does look excited to be on stage! :rotfl:

Your report almost makes me want to go to Universal, NOT! Although, I will definately need to go check out the Harry Potter area when it opens. Until then, you'll find me at Disney World. :love:

You have no idea what you are missing out on. ;)

It's kind of a family joke. Dave, Leslie & Connor have been to Disney, but they prefer Universal. In fact, Connor tells me on a regular basis that Universal is better than Disney. :lmao:

I have been to Universal and we went as kids with our parents to Universal in California. And, I plan to go back once Harry Potter-land is open.

I am really enjoying your report. iIve only started but it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I can't believe the maid was in your room at 10:30 at night. I can't wait to read more.

I have motion sickness issues, and I have a question. You said your dh shut his eyes through a lot of the Simpson ride....could he still feel the sensations from the ride, or do you need to be looking at the screen for that? I am going to pick up some of the Bonnine, but I am still worried.

You can still feel the ride moving but it's the stuff you're looking at that makes you dizzy or sick. Take two Bonnine with breakfast--you should be good all day.

Mickeefan: Great update! Connor does look excited to be on stage!

Your report almost makes me want to go to Universal, NOT! Although, I will definately need to go check out the Harry Potter area when it opens. Until then, you'll find me at Disney World

Once HP gets there you won't be able to choose. :wizard:

nerdboyrockstar Water ride attire for your family is white? Well I hope you guys won the contest.

Maybe that's why the people were sheilding their kids eyes when we walked by :eek:

d4est Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeefan
Great update! Connor does look excited to be on stage!

Your report almost makes me want to go to Universal, NOT! Although, I will definately need to go check out the Harry Potter area when it opens. Until then, you'll find me at Disney World.

You have no idea what you are missing out on.

d4est--She's a die-hard Disney fan...We've learned to live with it. :laughing:

Mickeefan It's kind of a family joke. Dave, Leslie & Connor have been to Disney, but they prefer Universal. In fact, Connor tells me on a regular basis that Universal is better than Disney.

I have been to Universal and we went as kids with our parents to Universal in California. And, I plan to go back once Harry Potter-land is open.

Everyone here on "the dark side" knows Connor is right. :rolleyes:

havinfun I am really enjoying your report. iIve only started but it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I can't believe the maid was in your room at 10:30 at night. I can't wait to read more.

havinfun--Thanks for reading! I'm hoping to get more done today...we'll see.

Oh my Gosh, Day 4

So it’s Wednesday, our last full day. We made it to bed early last night so we decided (make that: I decided) we’d get up and get to the park when it opened. After a really light breakfast (an apple) we were out the door and on our way.

No lines this early in the morning so we decided to do some of the regular queues to check out the themes. I’m glad we did. Connor enjoyed the details we miss in the FOTL queues.

Our breakfast apples didn’t stick with us long, so we stopped at Louie’s for an early snack. I think we interrupted the wait staff. Their conservation was more important than the customers standing in front of them. (I know they are mostly young kids, but one of them was pretty rude to us.) We managed to order our 3 slices of pizza and a couple of drinks. We were really disappointed in the quality of the food. It was early, like 10:30 so we figured it would be fresh—it may have been, but it sure looked and tasted like last nights leftovers. Oh well, good excuse to try somewhere else later.

The rest of the morning we spent hitting some shows we wanted to see. They were all good and well worth the time. We saw Horror Make Up, and Animal Actors. The biggest star spotting of the week was Max from The Grinch Movie.

P1040797.jpg

He’s so cute.

We really enjoyed both shows. If you've never seen them you should. We also saw T2. We had done this one on a past vacation but Connor didn’t remember it too well and he wanted to see it again. I’m glad we did. It was better than I remembered, but I hope they update it soon.

Over in IOA we hit DD while there was still no line. Again we went through the regular queue. It is awesome. Really worth the extra time. (Although there wasn’t a line anyway so we didn't really spend any extra time, but it would have been worth it if there had been a line.)

We spent some time enjoying the rest of the park. As we were headed out for the afternoon (nap time) I decided to stop in Mythos and see how late they were serving.

P1040860.jpg

She took our name for their latest seating (8:30). We figured if we made it back, great. If not, no big deal.

By now it was really hot so we headed back to the hotel to sit in the shade at the pool (or in the arcade, depending on your preference). :beach:

Earlier in the day we had been discussing what everyone wanted to do on our last day: just go to the pool, go back to the parks, check out the other hotels??? But since check out is at 11am, we decided we would just hang around the pool and hotel. We didn’t want to get all sweaty and gross for the plane ride home. :eek: (Bob was coming to pick us up at 3pm). So as we headed out to the pool I swung by the front desk and asked about a late check out. Ya never know…we might get lucky. The front desk clerk made a mysterious phone call to see if she was cleared to grant us late check out. Into the phone I heard her say “Yes, there’s a number one and a star---VIP” What? I thought…that really does mean something! She hung up the phone. My wish was granted by the mysterious-late-check-out-god on the other end of the phone. “You have a 1:00 check out” she said. Oh wow! Thank you so much! :yay: I really wasn’t expecting that! Now our last day wasn’t a total loss after all! I hurried to the pool to tell Dave the good news.

P1040775.jpg

Imigane that, he's asleep!

Now we could really plan what we wanted to do. Think, think, think….

After a relaxing late afternoon/evening we got cleaned up and made it back to Mythos just in time. I am going to tell you what we thought of it—hope I don’t ruffle any feathers…

Like I said, we got to Mythos right at 8:30 and were seated right away. There were others in the lobby, but there were plenty of open tables in the restaurant.

P1040839.jpg

We placed our appetizer order for Tomato and Mozzarella Flatbread. I ordered a glass of Merlot, Dave got a Beer, and Connor got Sprite. Dave and Connor had been teasing me all week about taking food pictures so to drive them crazy I took a picture of our drinks…

P1040842.jpg

We took some random pictures while we waited.

P1040847.jpg

I love the décor and the atmosphere. Even the chairs are neat.

P1040846.jpg

(Connor had had enough of my picture taking and was teasing me by messing up my photos. This was the third try--I still got his fingers in the pic.)

Here’s one with him picking that guys nose…

P1040838.jpg

Anyway, the appetizers were pretty good—I forgot, Dave also ordered the Tortilla Soup.

P1040835.jpg

P1040836.jpg

The soup was better than the flatbread. It was actually Tomato/Mozzarella FlatCracker. No bread, just a super thin, very crisp cracker. We’ve never had “flatbread” like that before. The soup was good and fairly spicy.

For the main course Connor and I again ordered the same thing (we must have the same food preferences). We got the Risotto of the day which was a Steak Medallion and 2 Shrimp Scampi on top of Spinach Risotto. Sounds yummy right???? Dave got the Mythos Bistro Filet that came with the weird mashed potatoes I remembered from NerdBoy RockStar’s trip report. This time I did remember to take pictures!

P1040852.jpg

P1040853.jpg

Now I really don’t want to sound like nothing is ever good enough but….

Dave’s “filet” was more like medallions than the steak that came on the risotto. It was 3 slices of shoe leather, a pile of fried onions, a squirt of brown potatoes and a big glob of butter on top. It was seriously bad. I mean it. The steak was dry and had no flavor. I think our waitress sort of felt sorry for him. It was a sad looking plate. (They really need to change those baby poop looking potatoes too. Seriously!)

On the other hand, I liked the steak that came on our risotto, but strangely enough Connor didn’t care for it. :confused3 A unanimous thumbs up for the shrimp but unfortunately we both agreed the risotto was pasty and more like a gloppy lump of goo than a creamy rice dish. So we ate what we wanted, paid too much for mediocre food and headed out to watch the 360 show.

Don’t get me wrong, we weren’t upset about our food. More like disappointed. I wonder if the poor quality had something to do with being the last seating before the restaurant closed? The atmosphere was excellent. We did enjoy ourselves. Plus, we still had room for ice cream at Emack and Bolio’s! Bonus!

So we wandered our way over and watched some of the 360 show. It was sort of interesting but we were ready to go back and relax. We decided to head back and get some ice cream.

Emack and Bolio’s is a great ice cream parlor. Really good ice cream.
Dave and I shared one scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip. Connor got 3 scoops of Chocolate with Hot Fudge. :scared1: Needless to say, Dave and I shared the rest of what he didn’t eat. As we enjoyed our ice cream we discussed our plans for Thursday. We settled on getting up as early as we could stand, pack our bags as much as possible then head back and hit our favorite rides ONE LAST TIME. We would leave the park by 11:45 in order to get back to the room, shower and check out by 1pm. Then we would grab some lunch and wait for 3:00 to roll around. Boo-Hoo – it’s almost over. I knew it would go fast, just not this fast….

By this time it was around 11:30 and we were full (and slightly sick) & tired, so off to bed. Tomorrow is our last day…waaaaaaaaaaah! :sad:

Thank you for the update. :love:

I'm always a little embarrassed to take pictures of the food. Maybe I'll take pictures of Peter's food! :rotfl2: He'd love that.

that brown stuff between the asparagas and meat is mashed potatoes? ugh it looks like something else...:rolleyes: sorry i had to say it. I saw it on nerd boys trippie but didnt say anything then, but that looks so unappatizing (sp?).

Thank you for the update. :love:

I'm always a little embarrassed to take pictures of the food. Maybe I'll take pictures of Peter's food! :rotfl2: He'd love that.

It is a little weird but who cares? We did get some looks...
Peter would die of embarrassment. You should do it!

that brown stuff between the asparagas and meat is mashed potatoes? ugh it looks like something else...:rolleyes: sorry i had to say it. I saw it on nerd boys trippie but didnt say anything then, but that looks so unappatizing (sp?).

It does look pretty gross. They pipe it onto the plate with a smooth tip, it would help a little if they just used a star tip and made it look less smoooooth.......(if ya know what I mean,,,and I think ya do!) ;)

Conner's birthday treats a the HR really looked good. Did he like the CD?

The chocolate plate was awesome. Honestly I don't know about the cd. We listened to it in the room a little but I didn't really pay attention to it. I'll have to ask him if he's listened to it since we've been home. He usually has his iPod in his ears. :rolleyes:

Day 5 Thursday--Our last day

We stuck to our plan and were at the parks by opening. We started on the Studios side and headed straight for Mummy. Since it’s our favorite ride AND you could make some good faces at the camera. On our way we saw this film crew taping something.

P1040857.jpg

They were in the street across from the Mummy. We never did find out what movie they were making. The actors were in the cars and when the director yelled “action” they started getting out of the cars and running down the street. Some of the actors were looking up toward the sky like something was coming at them. They did a couple of takes of that, then they all got back in the cars and took some video and sound recordings of them honking, waving their arms, and hollering out the windows as if they were in a traffic jam. It was pretty interesting. We watched awhile then remembered we were on a schedule so on to the Mummy.

We ended up riding it 3 times. We kept saying “just one more time” We were just about the only ones riding so we were fortunate enough to get the front row all three rides. Our faces for the camera got crazier and crazier. :hyper:

Ok, next it was MIB. We decided to skip Jaws this morning. On MIB this time Dave didn’t get the high score—I did! I’m not sure how but I got 355,625 and he got his usual 255,000. I think I hit the red thing above the other car that makes them spin, twice. Bonus. My turn to brag. Ok, once was enough, time was moving quickly. Over to the Simpson’s.

As we approached the entrance to Express we heard the attendant telling the family in front of us that the ride was down and there was about a 25 minute wait. Bummer! We didn’t wait, too much to do in less than…...Aaaaakkkkk…..only an hour and a half left! We did a quick walk through the Kwicky Mart. Connor "needed" an energy drink (I don't usually let him drink that crap, but this is vacation and its a Simpsons thing.)

P1040858.jpg

As soon as he threw the empty can in the trash he wished he had kept it as a souvineer. He thought it would have been cool to put on his shelf.

That was it for the Studios this trip, good-bye US hello IOA.

Of course I talked them into one last quick spin on Cat in the Hat (just to cool off of course). Then DD—Fire this time. We didn’t wait for front row but decided that's something we definitely have to come back for.

We skipped water rides because we wanted to get to Marvel Hero Island before we had to leave. There was a big group outside of Spiderman waiting on the Express line so we went on to Dr. Doom. That wait was about 20 minutes. Express lines were long today in IOA and it was pretty early still. Dr. Doom is a great ride, just way too short. They should run it through twice for each ride. We hurried back to Spidey. Still a big crowd. Oh well, hope it moves fast.

It wasn’t too bad but by the time we were done there was no time left for Hulk. :sad1: We were sort of sad. We should have skipped Spidey and opted for Hulk. Oh well, next time…right?

Connor bought a tee shirt souvenir and we headed back to shower and check out.

All week Connor had expressed an interest in riding a rick-shaw. We kept putting it off—it's really a pretty short walk. But on this last time through we decided to try one out. Boy, what a work out for those guys! It was a really quick ride. If you were coming from Portifino it would be more of a time saver.

Ok, all packed up, & checked out. Now, time for lunch. We were all really hungry by now…of course, Sal’s here we come…..

The plan was to share one Paninni and one Pizza. Somehow right before we placed our order the plan got changed to 2 Paninnis, no pizza. :confused:

Sal’s was pretty busy today for lunch. I know why, their food is excellent and the prices are reasonable (for park prices). After a little wait, our food finally came. The sandwiches came with a side of pasta salad. Both sandwiches were good, but I was missing the pizza. Their pizza is awesome. Seriously. The pasta salad was excellent. Sorry, I forgot pictures.

After lunch we leisurely strolled back to the Hard Rock. We still had a little over an hour before Bob would be there to get us. Connor still had a few points left on his game card for the arcade so he headed down to finish it off. Dave and I went to get a beer at the pool bar.

P1040806.jpg

About half way through the beer we were so hot we decided to cash out and sit inside. The heat was pretty unbearable. Mid 90’s. We found a comfy spot on a couch in the lobby and just watched people. Connor appeared in a few minutes so we all waited for Bob together. He showed up a few minutes early, we loaded up and drove away.

That’s when I started planning our next trip……..

Hi LeslieR! Thanks for sharing your trip report. Looks like you and your family had a blast. And now I can't wait to try the the pizza at Sal's! Looks delicious. :goodvibes

They were in the street across from the Mummy. We never did find out what movie they were making. The actors were in the cars and when the director yelled “action” they started getting out of the cars and running down the street. Some of the actors were looking up toward the sky like something was coming at them. They did a couple of takes of that, then they all got back in the cars and took some video and sound recordings of them honking, waving their arms, and hollering out the windows as if they were in a traffic jam. It was pretty interesting. We watched awhile then remembered we were on a schedule so on to the Mummy.

We ended up riding it 3 times. We kept saying “just one more time” We were just about the only ones riding so we were fortunate enough to get the front row all three rides. Our faces for the camera got crazier and crazier. :hyper:

That must have beeen fun watching the movie. I really love the Mummy ride. I think it is really my favorite. I also like the Everest ride at the Animal Kingdom at Disney.

About half way through the beer we were so hot we decided to cash out and sit inside. The heat was pretty unbearable. Mid 90’s. We found a comfy spot on a couch in the lobby and just watched people. Connor appeared in a few minutes so we all waited for Bob together. He showed up a few minutes early, we loaded up and drove away.

That’s when I started planning our next trip……..
[/QUOTE]

Your trip report was great. I had a nice time going on vacation with you. ;) I sure wish I could plan a next trip now. :goodvibes I think our next trip will be the The Grand Canyon.

Thanks for the trip report.

it was definitely hot in august, we wanted to see the 360 show ourselves but it was way too hot to go to the parks. do you happen to remember how much the duff energy drink was? I might have to go there to grab one, looks really cool.

[yes, energy drink fan! AMP or Cocaine/Noname are my favs though, haven't tried the Duff one.]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter