• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI: Florida is HOT in August

LeslieR

Mouseketeer
:sunny: We started planning our Universal trip in April. Waited four long months for it to get here and it was over in a flash. A good flash, but a quick flash. Here is the report:

My 40 something DH of 18 years (Dave), DS 14 (Connor) and me (20 something Leslie-we’ve been married since I was 2!) started the first day of vacation (Saturday) by sleeping in.

After leisurely finishing up our packing we said good bye to the cat (who was obviously mad at us for kicking him out of the suit case) and left for a nice lunch before heading to the airport.

Here is a picture in the airport. We were getting antsy waiting to board...

P1040749.jpg

We flew AirTran and had a good, uneventful flight to Orlando. Our plane landed on time at 7:00pm. Unfortunately baggage claim wasn’t having as good of a day as we were. An hour and a half later :sad2: we had our luggage and hopped the shuttle to our hotel. That first night we stayed at the Fairfield Inn at the airport. I chose it because we could walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner. (As we pulled in I noticed there are lots of hotel choices in that area within walking distance to the restaurants.) We dropped our luggage in our room (which was really pretty nice) then headed to Tony Roma’s for dinner. After a delicious meal of barbeque and steak it was back to the room. We took quick showers, watched a little TV, set up our wake up call for 7a.m. then easily dropped off to sleep.

popcorn:: I'm here. Looking forward to reading the rest. :surfweb:

That's my favorite nephew! :love:

Was I only 4 when you got married? :lmao:

:yay: :banana: :dance3: :cheer2:

Day 1 Sunday

Good morning first day in Florida!!! :sunny: Our wake up call came at 7am. We packed up our stuff and headed down to breakfast in the lobby area. The Fairfield had a super breakfast buffet dealio—everything you could want: waffles, breakfast-sausage sandwiches, hot oatmeal, tons of pastries, fruits and more. I just had a yogurt in anticipation of lunch…

Bob from ****** was in the lobby to pick us up right on time. Actually we had scheduled a 9am pick up, but he had called Saturday to ask if it was ok to move us up 30 minutes. No problem, so we loaded into his vehicle at 8:30. Off for a quick grocery stop. We ran through Publix and picked up water, sodas, snacks and beer. We grabbed a crumb cake from the bakery - it was really good. It felt like we were in that old game show “Super Market Sweep”. After one last check of the list we were on to the checkout lines---Screeeeech---our fast in-and-out grocery stop came to a screeching halt. Apparently in Florida there are no alcohol sales before 9am on Sunday! We still can't figure out why 9am on Sunday is the magic hour? :confused: So.... we waited a few minutes for the clock to tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock (actually had a nice conversation with the store employees while we waited)---then finally the computer/cash register struck 9 and we were through checkout and back on the road.

So shortly after 9am we were pulling up to The Hard Rock!
Picture002.jpg

It was nice to not feel rushed duing check in. In the past we’ve checked in later in the day and it makes us feel like our time is ticking away while we stand at the front desk. This day it was early enough and there were no lines so we were totally relaxed. We didn’t expect our room to be ready this early and it wasn’t but they issued our room keys so we could enjoy FOTL privileges. (Incidentally, I noticed a 1* on or keys---don’t know how or why--we’re only blue level?? But I’ll take it. It was great later in the week when I asked for late check out!)

So off to the park we went. We navigated our way around the pool and through the beautifully landscaped property and landed in front of The Studios.
Vacation002.jpg

P1040750.jpg

To by-pass the crowds we walked around to the right, opposite of Shrek and Neutron. We had to stop at The Brown Derby so Connor could check out the hats.
P1040751.jpg

Our first ride of our vacation was ET. Always a fun one. Glad we did it then because we wouldn’t make it back for a second spin. After ET we had to check out the Simpson’s ride. Let me just tell you I didn’t really expect a lot from this ride (Back to the Future wasn’t a favorite) but it turns out we really loved it! Dave got a little motion sick and had to close his eyes for most of it so he ended up missing a lot, :sick: but Connor and I thought it was great. *We brought Bonnine but forgot to take our daily dose that first day. After the Simpson’s we never forgot to take it again. It really does work!

After Simpson’s of course, we were on to MIB. Dave consistently beat Connor and my scores every time we rode MIB, but by the end of our vacation that would change!

We were starting to think about lunch at this point so we decided to eat now, hoping our room would be ready soon after. Since I have been dying to try Sal’s ever since I read a review of it, that’s where we went.
P1040752.jpg

My plan was to try Sal’s early in the week so we could return if we wanted. :rolleyes1 We weren’t disappointed! One Margarita and one Sausage pizza—yum! (And an ice cold beer---delish!)
P1040754.jpg

Our walk from Sal’s brought us right past The Hard Rock so we stopped in. A quick check at the front desk confirmed our room was not yet ready. We’re not wasting time waiting around in the lobby, heck no! So back to the park we went.

This time as we entered the park we went straight and rode Shrek, then on to Twister, Disaster, Mummy (hands-down our families favorite ride), and Jaws.
P1040821-1.jpg

While we were on Jaws, Dave got a call from the hotel. Our room was ready. Yeah! Because of the skipper talking on the loud speaker, he couldn’t hear what our room number was. It was sort of funny. We jumped off the ride and practically ran to the hotel. We were hot and tired and wanted to unpack, maybe go for a swim.

After a quick stop at the front desk to get our room number we got on the elevators. (Side note: Loved the fast elevators. Nothing worse than slow moving elevators when you have places you want to be. By the second day Dave figured out if you held down the button of the floor you wanted to get to, it made it an express ride without stopping at other floors. Even the elevators have Express!;) )

Ahhh, finally our room; we were on the sixth floor with a pool view.
P1040756.jpg

P1040758.jpg

I never did manage to take picture of our view. It was a decent, but fairly obscured by foliage. That’s ok, it was pretty. Actually, I think I booked an obstructed view room but at check in she called it pool view. No matter. Our room was great. The bathroom was set up with enough space so one could change in the sink area (with some privacy) while someone else showered and the other occupant lazed on the bed until it was his turn.
P1040757.jpg

We cooled off and unpacked, then headed down for a late afternoon swim. The pool at The Hard Rock is great. Loved the slide and the sandy beach area. They had some games for the kids and adults too. We watched a while, then sat for awhile then swam some more. Connor got bored--ok, enough resting, let’s get back to the park and ride Jaws in the dark!!! If you’ve never made a point to ride Jaws at night it is a must do. It’s a whole different ride at night. Better. We also did MIB again and again, and the Mummy too (remember- it’s our fav).

Ok so we were getting hungry. We tossed around a few ideas and decided on NBA City. Our plan this trip was to try out some new places, so NBA it was. I did try to take pictures of our food, I really did. Most times I got a picture of the appetizer, then when our main courses came I somehow forgot. (Short term memory) So here is a picture of our Pecan Chicken Finger appetizer.
P1040762.jpg

(One of those fingers in the picture isn’t chicken). They were delicious. They were on a bed of slaw with a sweetish dressing—the whole thing was yummy.

While we were waiting for our food Connor wanted to take a picture of the mural on the wall. He said the basketball player was wearing a deodorant patch. I guess I can sort of see it…
P1040760.jpg

Here we are waiting for our food.
P1040759.jpg

P1040761.jpg

For our meals Dave got the Cajun Stuffed Chicken; Connor and I both got the Grilled Mahi-Mahi Sandwich. The fish was really good and a little spicy. It had a pesto mayo, I think. Dave liked his chicken but sort of expected boneless--he said it was good. Sorry I forgot pictures.

Ok, so we were full, it was late and we were totally tired so back to the room for quick showers then straight to bed.

great report - what an adorable family you have!

will be right here - waiting for more

Day 2 Monday

We enjoyed sleeping in just a little. After a light breakfast in the room, we were dressed and out by 10ish. Of course since we did Studios yesterday we had to start with Islands of Adventure today. I enjoy the atmosphere in the entry to this park every time I walk through it. Connor and I had read the “secrets” thread on the boards so we took time to notice the little things hidden around. We finally did hear the camel traders…that one took awhile to find.

I like to get Christmas tree ornaments as souvenirs on our vacations so we stopped in the Christmas shop and picked one out for this trip. I wanted to get it early so I wouldn’t forget plus I could have it sent to the room and not have to carry it around. It’s a cute Cat in the Hat thingy.

After browsing a couple more shops (it was so hot we browsed the A/C stores after our walk from the hotel to cool down a little. This would become a habit throughout the week) we were in Seuss Land. Sooooo we HAVE to ride Cat in the Hat. My 14 year old son tried to act like he didn’t want to, but we all know it was just an act. I also made them ride the sky trolley thing. Neither of them really wanted to but we all ended up enjoying the views. It was on the sky trolley that Dave decreed “When we're in Seuss Land we'll speak in all rhymes, not just once but all of the times”. Connor and I couldn’t get to the bridge fast enough to get out of there. The first rhyme was cute and made us all happy, but after awhile it got annoying and sappy!:rotfl:

This is the first time any of us rode Dueling Dragons. We loved it (thanks to the Bonnine which we remembered this morning). The area over there is a little confusing with the dead-end due to work on Harry Potter so it took us a few minutes of walking back and forth to find the entrance. We’re stupid because we were at the top of the stairs standing next to the entrance, but we weren’t sure what it was so we went all the way back down, around and back up to where we started. Every day after that we had it figured out. :teacher: I think we came back every day to ride.

The Harry Potter construction had us soooo messed us up that first day after our DD ride that we walked all the way back around and through Seuss land (walking quickly to stay ahead of the rhymer) to get to the other side. Of course once we were over there we saw the bridge from across the park. I don’t know how we walked right past the bridge. Tomorrow, we’ll know better.
P1040855.jpg

Since we were all the way back at the front of the park and we were hungry, we decided to have lunch at Croissant Moon Bakery. It was nice to get a light meal. We got a roast beef croissant and a turkey crossiant and shared. The sandwiches were good and they came with potato salad that was also good. I think this was one of the cheapest meals we had on our vacation, totaling just under $20.00. I am pretty sure this is the exact same food you will find in the bakery just inside the Studios side. Refreshed from our lunch, cooled down, & rested up we were ready to continue---so we headed just around the corner and got in line for the HULK.

It was the first time on the Hulk for all of us. Our consensus was unanimous: LOOOVED IT! What a great coaster. Incidentally, the FOTL was excellent. We were walking on to everything. Of course we had to do Dr. Doom and Spidey. Then we decided to ride the water rides even though we didn’t have on our “wet” clothes. The walk home was a little uncomfortable, but it was worth it. Again, this was our first time on most of these rides and we absolutely loved them. Especially Dudley Doo Right. That is the best log ride ever. Most log rides you weave around through some trees and get one hill at the end. Not Dudley. We love that ride. Apparently so does everyone else. The first time we rode we waited about 30 minutes. Each day after that the wait was much shorter.

P1040769.jpg

After Popeye (and getting drenched to our skin) we had one last “water ride” we wanted to hit—Jurassic River Adventure (or whatever it’s called). That is a fun ride. Very exciting.

Ok, so we were totally wet and needed to get back to the room for our self-imposed mandatory pool relaxing time. We had dinner reservations at Mamma Dellas for 8:30 so we had plenty of time to lounge by the pool before changing for dinner. And that’s what we did. Well, Dave and I did. Connor wanted to check out the arcade.

A side note here: We got back to our room from the park around 4pm. It had still not been made up. This made Dave and I both a little irritated. It’s 4 in the afternoon…could you have our room made up by now…. Please? Unacceptable for a “4 star” hotel. So on our way to the pool Dave stopped by the front desk and respectfully requested that they get our room done asap, please. They said they were on our floor and it would be done right away. Fine, no prob. Swimming pool here we come.

P1040777.jpg

P1040778.jpg

Sleeping Beauty

Our room was made up when we got back from the pool. Much better.

After getting cleaned up we took the short walk across the street to The Portifino. Since we were just there yesterday for Sal’s we knew exactly where we were headed. It was still very hot so we made good use of our misty fan. Connor was intrigued by all the lizards, ducks and squirrels along the way.

P1040773.jpg

The lizards I understand, we don’t have them in Indiana, but you’d think the kid had never seen a duck before?!?! He said the ducks in Indiana aren’t as friendly. :confused3

Anyway, Mamma Dellas…Nice place. We ordered a bottle of wine-it was good. Our waitress took our picture.

P1040790-1.jpg

I got a picture of the bread with garlic infused oil and our appetizer (Fontina Fritto-super yummy) but of course forgot to take pix of our main courses.

P1040788.jpg

P1040789-1.jpg

Connor and I both got the Frutti di Mare. It was really good. We both loved it. There were big scallops, shrimp and fish on top of pasta with a light cream sauce. Dave got the Lasagna. He was a little disappointed (he mumbled somehting about chef-boy-ardee). All in all, it was a good meal, but not nearly worth the money we spent.

So bellies full and bodies tired we hoofed it back to the room. We were soooooo tried and ready for bed. But lo and behold! When we got to our room the door was cracked open! There is a maid in our room at 10:30 at night!!! Whaaaat? Oops, not good--Dave tired! She was cleaning the mirror above the sink when we came in. Besides that, I don’t know what else she could have done. The housekeeping staff that had made up our room just a few hours earlier had already turned down the beds.:mad: Dave thanked her and asked her to leave…we were stinking tired!!!! (and stinky--in Floridia during August the slightest physical movement causes river-like currents of sweat. Serioulsy.)

After quick, cool showers--the third shower of the day--we all collapsed into bed. I don’t remember anyone turning off the lights I was asleep before those two were done taking showersszzzzzzzzzzzzzz……

Love this trip report! Ya'll are one beautiful family!

We stay at PB a lot - you should try it next time. I know what you mean about Mamma Dellas lasagna- our son will eat anything but would not touch his lasagna there.

Thanks for the picture of the chicken finger appetizer at NBA- that is one of my favorite meals in Citywalk.

Looking forward to reading more!:yay:

Love this trip report! Ya'll are one beautiful family!

We stay at PB a lot - you should try it next time. I know what you mean about Mamma Dellas lasagna- our son will eat anything but would not touch his lasagna there.

Thanks for the picture of the chicken finger appetizer at NBA- that is one of my favorite meals in Citywalk.

Looking forward to reading more!:yay:

Awwwww, you're so sweet-thank you. I'm glad you like the report. We may have to try PB next time. We may be going with friends who have a larger family. I hear the rooms there are bigger.

I'm glad we're not the only ones that are sort of picky when it comes to lasagna.;) I think meals everywhere are hit or miss but especially in a theme park. Overall Universal food is pretty good though.

I'm loving the trip report! So entertaining.. and what a good looking family.

It was on the sky trolley that Dave decreed “When we're in Seuss Land we'll speak in all rhymes, not just once but all of the times”.
:lmao:

What a nice compliment--from one of the greatest trip-reporters himself--I still think about that picture of Louis with the chicken from someones leftover room service. I love his expression in that pic.

Thanks for reading--

LeslieR- definately give PB a try. We have stayed numerous times and have never been disappointed. The rooms are huge.

Speaking of meals - in all our trips to Universal I can say we have never had a bad meal anywhere. That's why I was so surprised our son would not eat the lasagna - and then to read your son felt the same way - I thought that was pretty funny.

Can't wait to read more! Keep the pictures coming!:yay:

Great Trip Report!

You have such a cute family. Your husband reminds me of Taylor Hicks ((Do you know who that it?))

I understand how annoying it is to come back to your hotel in the middle of the day and it not being clean. That happend to us several times on our last trip.

Well, it looks like you had a fabulous time, can't wait to hear more! popcorn::

Enjoying this report! Now I've learned from several reports that I need to let them know when we're leaving the room that we may want it made up early!

Your son looks so similar to my nephew - too cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter