• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI - Disney VISA

Minnie&Mickey said:
Since I do all of my transfers online, I don't have to pull out the card to do the transfer.

I could be wrong, haven't looked lately, but I thought when you choose which card online to transfer the points to, it showed the card's expiration date. Of course, in either case, I agree that it sucks that you would even be *allowed* to transfer points to an expired card. IMHO, the card should become inactive as far as the online activity is concerned.

Thank you for posting this. I haven't transferred any points yet, but was going to do it this month. I didn't realize they expired in a year either. So, the question is, can you request a new card if you know you aren't going to use it up by your current card's date?

hayesktrm said:
So, the question is, can you request a new card if you know you aren't going to use it up by your current card's date?

Yes, however, any points already transferred to the existing card cannot be transferred back.

In addition to all the issues raised here so far, there's one more issue I've never seen addressed. According to the Guide to redeeming Disney Reward Dollars, you are limited to accumulating a maximum of 750 points each calendar year (except for certain promotional offers).

For me, that's not much of an issue as I don't come close to spending an average of $6250 per month (or $75,000 per year) on my Disney Card. But the OP is already talking about points (700 total since 12/03) that comes close to that maximum.

tpmorely,

I had the same problem with my $25 reward for signing on.

I had been calling Bank One in regards to my regular account. When we were done with the matter at hand, she started asking about other services, credit cards. I expressed an interest in the Disney visa. She got me all set up on the phone. I specifically asked about the $25 reward bonus. She said yes I would receive it.

Well, when I didn't get it, I called and they said they would look into it. I received a letter saying that I wasn't eligible. HUH? I again called and they said it was because the CODE had not been put in at the time of the application. Again, HUH? I told them it wasn't my fault that their employee didn't input it.

Eventually, I got my $25 reward.

The letter that I received was from Shirley Harmon. 1-800-300-8575

Maybe the name and the phone # will help you.

Good luck!

I don't know how, but I did know that once you transferred the dollars to your card, that you only had 1 year to use the card. I read it on the boards somewhere.

HooKooDooKu said:
For me, that's not much of an issue as I don't come close to spending an average of $6250 per month (or $75,000 per year) on my Disney Card. But the OP is already talking about points (700 total since 12/03) that comes close to that maximum.

Please don't think we are people that run up huge balances on our credit cards. We own two small businesses (a convenience store and a liquor store) and use the card for purchases related to the businesses. The bill is always paid off in full each month...I could never charge that much to a credit card and be able to pay it off if it was for personal purchases.

ok - now I am back to being confuzzeled....

the cards are only good for a year? or do I go by the card and the expiration date?

:crazy:

The reward card will have an expiration date at the end of the year following the year you request it. For example, if you get a card right now it will expire 12/06. So, people who request it in Jan will have the card longer than people who request it in Aug. Still same expiration, though.

Once you put your rewards on the card, they expire with the card. So, like so many here have said, don't transfer rewards unless you know you're going to use them right away. They're good for 5 years when held in your account and that's a much safer place to keep them if you're not certain when you'll spend them.

To the OP, I'd call again and argue about that transfer it let you make online after the card expired. That shouldn't have happened and it should be pretty clear to the folks at bank one. Ask for a supervisor and don't give up until they make it right.

Minnie&Mickey said:
Please don't think we are people that run up huge balances on our credit cards. We own two small businesses (a convenience store and a liquor store) and use the card for purchases related to the businesses. The bill is always paid off in full each month...I could never charge that much to a credit card and be able to pay it off if it was for personal purchases.

A friend of mine is doing the same thing. He's a big Disney fan, the family usually gets together once a year in WDW. He recently started a new business and was looking into getting a Disney Visa to use for the business to rack up the points. He was the 1st on to come to mind when I first read about the $750 yearly maximum. It sounded like his expected spending would easily exceed the limit.

I have not transferred any of my points yet, in fact I am still a little confussed
about the process. I just call and request a card and then before the trip
I call and transfer points on to it ??? Then What, What can I use the
card for anything, is it like a different credit card. I read the paper but,
did not really understand. Can anyone explain it better?? :confused3

hobo: You can either call or do the ordering of the card online. You request a rewards card and state how many of your points you want put on the card. The card, and the points transfered to it expire at the end of the following year. I ordered my card in Dec. '04 and it expires Dec. '05. If I'd ordered earlier in January '04, it still would have expired Dec. '05.

Keep the points on paper only until just before yoour trip. They then are good for 5 years. Once transferred, they expire at the end of the following year.

Hobo1947...you are correct! Then when you get on the ship or go to WDW or DL just take the rewards card with you and use it like a credit card. Only you can't charge more than the points you transferred onto it!

Crissup said:
I could be wrong, haven't looked lately, but I thought when you choose which card online to transfer the points to, it showed the card's expiration date. Of course, in either case, I agree that it sucks that you would even be *allowed* to transfer points to an expired card. IMHO, the card should become inactive as far as the online activity is concerned.
Actually if you transfered points after dec 1 to an expired card they will transfer those points back to the visa. Because this was the first expiration, the website allowed these transfers. Call the bank about this.
As for the expired points, it was brought to my attention that the rewards program guide clearly stated the card and points would expire and it is noted on the back of the card as well.
With any credit card or reward rebate program it is your responsibility to read the terms and conditions.

So, it takes about two months to get your rewards card?
Our trip is May 10th, so I better request it NOW !!!
Once you call to transfer your points on your reward card, is it done
immediately?
We only have about 20 on it right now, but we have used it alot this month for our balance on our cruise and my DH business trip, so those points I can get transferred later, correct? :confused3

I had the same problem when I used it to put down our deposit on our cruise, they still charged me the finance charge, So I just paid it off.

And, they do not allow a 15 day grace period like other cards. I was one day late, and got charged like a $24.00 late fee !!!!! :sad2:

So, now I make sure to send the bill in early !!!!!

my3kids said:
Keep the points on paper only until just before yoour trip. They then are good for 5 years. Once transferred, they expire at the end of the following year.

Actually they will expire on the date that is printed on the card. If I have a card that expires Dec. '05, and I transfer some points to it in July '05, those points will expire at the end of Dec. '05 if they aren't used before then. That's how I lost almost $300 in points.

Thank You to all of you, I think I understand it better now :cool1:
What ever points I transfer over I will buy, buy, buy until they are
gone. I don't like the possibility of losing points any more than giving
them extra money for late payments.
Thank you all again. :disrocks:

Minnie&Mickey said:
Actually they will expire on the date that is printed on the card. If I have a card that expires Dec. '05, and I transfer some points to it in July '05, those points will expire at the end of Dec. '05 if they aren't used before then. That's how I lost almost $300 in points.

Exactly. As I said, wait until just before you go and then transfer everything to the card. If you order the points transfer and the card together, then the points will be good until the end of the following year.

my3kids said:
Exactly. As I said, wait until just before you go and then transfer everything to the card. If you order the points transfer and the card together, then the points will be good until the end of the following year.

Sorry, misunderstood. I didn't realize that all Rewards Cards expired in December. I ordered mine in Dec. '03 and it expired in Dec. '04, so I just assumed that the card was good for one year from when you ordered it. Of course, assuming things is what made me lose my $300 rewards points...gotta stop doing that! ::yes::

Update: Just wanted to let everyone know that my faith in Disney is restored. I wrote a letter to the Disney Rewards Marketing Dept. about the loss of my Disney Rewards points due to the expiration of my card, and I received a letter from them today letting me know that they are restoring all of the points that I lost!!! I am thrilled to say the least! I know they will come in very handy when we are down at WDW in July!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter