FYI Air Trans Airlines

ABC News did a story tonight on two Continental flights, once from Houston to Richmond, the other from Newark to LA. They broke out flight revenue and expenses. Both flights were full and lost money.

Whether with new fees, higher ticket prices, or both - we are all going to pay more to fly.

Dirk

I dont get the whole 2nd bag thing anyway - how much luggage does one need to go to WDW (or anywhere in the USofA)? If people are packing suitcases to transport food and drink - then they should pay more than that for a 2nd bag. There are stores wherever your destination is. Not to mention youre allowed a carryon plus one checked bag. How much more does one need?

Yeah, I don't get it either. I went with three kids and we had one suitcase and two carry ons that we all shared - that was IT. Granted, we only stayed 3 nights. But still I had room for food in there and a ton of toys for my autistic son, special pillow and blanket for him even.

After looking at some of these posts, it looks like the public school system could do a better job teaching spelling and grammar, too....
I'm amazed at some of the spelling and typos I see. Not that I've never made a spelling error or typo, but I do read each post before submitting it. I guess that's a waste of time to some...:confused3

Yeah, I don't get it either. I went with three kids and we had one suitcase and two carry ons that we all shared - that was IT. Granted, we only stayed 3 nights. But still I had room for food in there and a ton of toys for my autistic son, special pillow and blanket for him even.
Goodness, how big was your checked bag? And where your carry-ons 'legal sized carry-ons'? Not accusing, just asking...;) and how old were the 3 kids? Little ones have little clothes, big kids have adult sized clothes. My DD15 is over 6' in her bare feet. Her clothes are cumbersome and take up a lot of room. As a matter of fact, they take up more room than mine. I'm only 5'8". Other DD12 is almost 5'5". Her clothes aren't tiny either. When we go, we usually go for well over a week and I do NOT do laundry while I am on vacation (barring an emergency). It is my vacation too and that includes the vacation from laundry. I can do that when I get home. We need at least 1 and 1/2 bags per person. We usually fill the other 1/2 up w/ souvies to bring home. During the summer, we will use at least 2 shirts per day as you get hot and sweaty and want something fresh after the afternoon break. During fall or winter, you need some of everything. One trip we even needed our winter coats and gloves in the evening (for CP) because it was cold (low 40's) and you were outside for a long time. I completely understand people pack differently. I would rather pack/take it, and not need it than to not have it available. But that is me and what works for me. This is also why we are flying w/ SW. It's all about choices. :goodvibes

I dont get the whole 2nd bag thing anyway - how much luggage does one need to go to WDW (or anywhere in the USofA)
I was thinking the same thing, especially in the summer. I could pack three weeks worth of shorts and tank tops and still have room in my suitcase, unless someone is packing tons of food or evening gowns and three-piece suits, what the heck is going on?

I was thinking the same thing, especially in the summer. I could pack three weeks worth of shorts and tank tops and still have room in my suitcase, unless someone is packing tons of food or evening gowns and three-piece suits, what the heck is going on?
Is your bag "legal" size? That would be the size of a 26 inch suitcase... 62 inches total measurement, I believe. I've seen some suitcases at airports that are about 2 or 3 times the size of mine!

I'm amazed at some of the spelling and typos I see. Not that I've never made a spelling error or typo, but I do read each post before submitting it. I guess that's a waste of time to some...:confused3

Goodness, how big was your checked bag? And where your carry-ons 'legal sized carry-ons'? Not accusing, just asking...;) and how old were the 3 kids? Little ones have little clothes, big kids have adult sized clothes. My DD15 is over 6' in her bare feet. Her clothes are cumbersome and take up a lot of room. As a matter of fact, they take up more room than mine. I'm only 5'8". Other DD12 is almost 5'5". Her clothes aren't tiny either. When we go, we usually go for well over a week and I do NOT do laundry while I am on vacation (barring an emergency). It is my vacation too and that includes the vacation from laundry. I can do that when I get home. We need at least 1 and 1/2 bags per person. We usually fill the other 1/2 up w/ souvies to bring home. During the summer, we will use at least 2 shirts per day as you get hot and sweaty and want something fresh after the afternoon break. During fall or winter, you need some of everything. One trip we even needed our winter coats and gloves in the evening (for CP) because it was cold (low 40's) and you were outside for a long time. I completely understand people pack differently. I would rather pack/take it, and not need it than to not have it available. But that is me and what works for me. This is also why we are flying w/ SW. It's all about choices. :goodvibes

yeah, my kids were 8, 5 and 5, so sure that makes a difference with smaller clothing sizes! But still I had two outfits per day for each of us to change from being so sweaty! the carry ons weren't that big.. a smaller wheeled one and I'd say a medium sized wheeled on - not anywhere close to illegal. Making my way through an airport by myself with three little ones, while pushing a stroller, it all had to be light enough for the girls to help out! I do worry about packing for a november trip, though - I need to make room for some warmer clothing in there also! We did pack an extra bag that we checked on the way home due to the huge Stitch and Tigger I bought my son!

Whether with new fees, higher ticket prices, or both - we are all going to pay more to fly.

Dirk[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so let's just all roll over and like it....(same with rising bank fees, taxes, etc.) I LOVE added fees!!!

Nobody says you need to like it, just understand that the airlines are not attempting to screw you over for profit. They are, in fact, desperately attempting to recoup enough money to buy fuel, as they can fly with fewer planes, fewer amenities and fewer employees but they can't fly without fuel.

I'm sorry to have cause such turmoil over my original post. Sometimes we all just need to vent our frustrations over rising prices and that was all I wanted to do.:goodvibes

I'm sorry to have cause such turmoil over my original post. Sometimes we all just need to vent our frustrations over rising prices and that was all I wanted to do.:goodvibes

You shouldn't be sorry, we are all upset over the cost to fly. I just paid over 500 dollars to fly from Myrtle Beach to NJ for a family emergency. That is a 1 hour and 15 minute flight with just myself and my daughter who is only 2. If my husband would have come it would have been another 335 dollars. It's terrible but we cannot blame the airlines they are only doing what they need to, to survive.

Though I have to say charging for seat assignments is just horrible and should be done away with.

I get more mad at the FAA for charging me then I do the airline. What are they doing for all those extra charges? aside from living better then we do.

I get more mad at the FAA for charging me then I do the airline. What are they doing for all those extra charges? aside from living better then we do.

It's the intimation that the charges are being used to enrich the powers that be that is provoking the reaction to the OP. These airlines are trying to stay in business, not enrich themselves. They can't enrich themselves at this point. And the FAA is a government agency, not a corporation looking for a profit or some evil conspiracy trying to suck money out of your wallet for no reason.

carolina_yankee said:

Dirk

Yeah, so let's just all roll over and like it....(same with rising bank fees, taxes, etc.) I LOVE added fees!!!
No one has to like it, but there isn't very much we can do about it. There is an attitude among some that the airlines are 'getting away' with something and trying to soak the traveler. Airlines can't stay in business if they don't at least break even, and they are losing money on many flights right now at the current fare structure. Whether they raise ticket prices (which no one can avoid) or charge additional fees (which some can avoid by packing as compactly as possible, or bringing their own beverage on board, or their own headphones/entertainment), they have to increase revenue or go away altogether.

On the ABC News story last night about Continental and the cost of flying, nearly 55 to 65% of the cost of each flight was fuel related. Each flight was packed with people. Each flight lost money. What would you suggest the airline do?

Dirk

Is your bag "legal" size? That would be the size of a 26 inch suitcase... 62 inches total measurement, I believe. I've seen some suitcases at airports that are about 2 or 3 times the size of mine!
Our bags are even smaller than the legal maximum. We are going in July so we don't need sweatshirts or pants. Plus my family is thin so our shorts and tanks don't take up much room. Even when we went on a week-long cruise and did take dresses and sweaters, we've never used more than one bag per person in our family. That's why I don't understand why people need so much luggage unless they are going skiiing or something, but this is the DISboard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter