• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FWIW: It's not just Disney cruisers

Dave_from_Marietta

DIS Veteran
There has been a lot of anger and frustration on these boards for the last month. Lots of venting and lots of people venting at the venters.

For what it's worth... you probably know that tourism is the #1 industry in Florida. Frustrated tourists have been affected everywhere in the state... not just on cruise ships.

My wife and I own a time-share unit in New Smyrna Beach. The general manager there has been great about updating owners of the status via an owners' message board. She posted this today:

Clean up is underway and the resort will re-open Tuesday morning. Once we open, we will NOT be 100% back to normal.

If this is your vacation week please understand we are working as fast a possible to open. We had to evacuate before we finished cleaning units for Saturday checkins and still need to clean up and repair storm damage and put all the furniture that was put in storage back in place.

The ONLY reason I mention this is every time we have reopened after a hurricane evacuation, there have been owners who show up demanding entry into their unit before we could possibly be ready. These storms take an emotional toll on everyone involved. Lost sleep, lost wages, property losses, school closing and babysitter problems. <b>Please don't yell at the staff because the pool temperature is too cool or cable is out. Lastly, please never say "<i>I pay your salary</i>" to these hard working people. It's so insulting after all we have tried to do just to get open. If you're dissatisifed with our efforts, please see me and don't take your fustrations out on the staff.</b>

<i>Emphasis added by Dave</i>

How sad that some people have no consideration for others and think they are OWED a good time just because they can pay for it.

Folks, look at the purple ribbon in my signature. Amanda, Emma and Sophie's deaths remind us that tomorrow is never guaranteed. Count your blessings. Go hug your kids. Call your parents for no reason but to tell them how special they are to you.

Go online and make a donation to the Red Cross or the Salvation Army.

Let's all make the planet we share a better place by an act of unexpected kindness.

I haven't noticed any of our DIS posters that have vented here about their frustrations taking it out on CM's/employees, thankfully (or perhaps I missed a post or two ?). I'm sure there are people out there who are very insulting and demanding such as listed in this post from the timeshare manager Dave copied here, but all I've seen here on the boards is pretty much perfectly normal venting due to disappointment and let-downs. What suprises me, is that some of these venters are getting jumped all over on by some others.
I would hope that we all can be understanding and supportive of everyone's feelings---this includes FL natives, Disney CM's and disappointed/frustrated vacationers. These hurricanes are taking an emotional toll on everyone, whether directly or via the trickle-down effect.

DAVE WELL SAID...

I haven't said anything about people "venting"..but I have read probably 99% of the posts where people did "vent".

We live on a barrier Island off the SC coast. True, we did choose to live here...but what has bugged me the most is people complaining about, and I use this verbage, taking in all the posts I have read, about DCL not being able to decide what they were going to do about the cruises, ie, if they were going to be canceled, what port they were going out of, go here, do this, don't do this, stay out 2 days, come in early, etc, etc.

As many of you know who read these posts, I work for the fire department. The EOC is here in our office building. When there is a hurricane "coming"...the EOC is activated.. There are meetings 3-4 times a day, EVERY DAY, in which the EOC is in contact with the County EOC, the weather bureau and the Governors office. One meeting we are going to evac, the next we are not, then we are, then we're not...then the storm moves a degree to the west or the east....then it starts all over again the next day!! I come out of these meetings shaking in my shoes and sometimes have to go in the bathroom and cry...it is sooooooo stressful. The EOC managers and our fire chief are tying to make the decision that will keep us safe...as was/is DCL, even though I may not like the outcome, I have to abide by their decision(s). These people, EOC managers, fire chiefs, SHIPS CAPTAINS..know what they are doing...don't second guess them...and don't criticize them for the decisions they make!!!!!

What I'm trying to say is that DCL is trying to make a horrific situation into one that MOST people can live with. Some people, wouldn't be happy with a full refund and free 7 day cruises for the rest of their lives!! I'm sure when "it's all over with" DCL will sit down with the powers that be, and assess everything and see how they can do better next(God help us all) time. Our fire crews do that after every structure fire...see how they can do it better when it happens again...some of these guys have been firefighting 20 years..there is always room for improvement..this is the first time DCL has gone through anything like this, and they will learn from it.

OK...I've vented now....I'm done...waiting for the flames......

Phyllis
::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Well said Dave and NAT&MAGSMON! I remember that during our tour of the bridge we were told they had meetings with everyone everyday. By everyone it means all the staff that work with making the ship run safely etc, the captain, chief engineer etc. There is no doubt in my mind that during any situation especially hurricanes that these meetings probably happen many times a day. They are probably receiving information from many sources on the conditions too and therefore changing course based on the most recent information.

I also want to add a thanks to all the people who put in extra time in these situations, like the fire departments, police departments, national guard, red cross, FEMA, electric companies, and everyone else. The list would be never ending to mention them all.

QUOTE]Some people, wouldn't be happy with a full refund and free 7 day cruises for the rest of their lives!! [/QUOTE]
I wouldn't be one of those but sure enough people would find something to complain about like they don't want to cruise every year and why don't they change the itinerary, don't they realize we've already done this before?

ps-I have relatives in HH, thanks for all you do to keep everyone safe.

I have read many many different threads over the past few weeks and they all had people "venting". I see nothing wrong with venting, as long as it is reasonable and logical. Most of them have been. The comments were mainly out of frustration at lack of DCL communication, missed transportation and delays that could have been avoided. I have not read ANY that have blamed Florida, Disney or the airlines directly for the storms or trip delays caused by them.

Personally, I think it is better for everyone to vent on the DisBoards then to take it out on the CM's and hotel employees and residents of Florida. I have not read anywhere that anyone has directly done that.

I am sure that we are all aware of what the Floridians have been through. I grew up in Miami and went through several hurricanes. I can remember exactly what it felt like and the damage it left. Unfortunately, those people that have never had to experience anything of that magnitude tend to think of the hard-earned money they paid and the time they waited for a trip that has basically fallen apart and/or not gone smoothly.

It's a two-way street -- and sometimes people just need to let off steam. No hard feelings intended. ;)

Personally, I think it is better for everyone to vent on the DisBoards then to take it out on the CM's and hotel employees and residents of Florida. I have not read anywhere that anyone has directly done that.
This is exactly how I feel and what I was trying to convey in my post invaderzim :D I don't feel there's any excuse to be insulting or demanding to anyone. These storms have affected everyone in very different ways.

It is so important to think of people on the 'other end' of your vacation.

Sure I was really disappointed that we weren't able to make our Sept. 4th Eastern. But there are far worse things that could have happened....and they did happen to people's homes and businesses.
There will always be vacations. It's times like these that make you think outside of your own little world.

Thanks for posting this Dave.
:sunny:

Kudos to Dave from Marietta for getting a sane thread dripping with sanity and perspective going, and to the rest for staying the course.

Now, in the spirit of rationality and perspective, I am going to plot my strategy for being first one on the reservation line tomorrow to get two trips to CC on a Western with the stateroom of my choice...except of course for the slight issue that the special itineraries are all alleged to be scheduled for...HURRICANE SEASON!!! (insert sliashing music from Psycho here)...

This has certainly been an unusual weather year for the East coast. But, just to keep things in perspective, it is also typhoon season in Japan, they have had 21 typhoons this season so far and the season is not over until late October. Seven typhoons have landed on the main part of Japan, the previous record was 6. The latest that came ashore killed 31 people. Mother Nature is taking its toll on more than just Florida this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter