FWC Sleigh Rides

pjpoppins

DIS Veteran
FWC Sleigh Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious as to some info and/or experiences about this. I saw some info on another post but didn't want to "hijack". We are going Dec. 10-16 for our first "holiday" trip to WDW and not sure if we'll ever have a chance to go again around this time. It sounds as if the ride (I know its really a wagon) travels around some of the campsites. We've seen these campsite displays on TV and it looks really cool. We (myself, DW, and DD6) want to see as much holiday magic as we can since we can do the "regular" stuff another time. With that said, I'm not interested in renting a cart and driving around for hours. Is there a set route or will the guide take you around to what he/she feels is some of the best displays?
Also, we are eating at WCC at 5:25p and would probably go that night (I know not the same resort but probably closest we'll be...staying at POP). Do you think an 8p reservation would alot enough time? Thanks everyone!

pjpoppins said:
FWC Sleigh Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious as to some info and/or experiences about this. I saw some info on another post but didn't want to "hijack". We are going Dec. 10-16 for our first "holiday" trip to WDW and not sure if we'll ever have a chance to go again around this time. It sounds as if the ride (I know its really a wagon) travels around some of the campsites. We've seen these campsite displays on TV and it looks really cool. We (myself, DW, and DD6) want to see as much holiday magic as we can since we can do the "regular" stuff another time. With that said, I'm not interested in renting a cart and driving around for hours. Is there a set route or will the guide take you around to what he/she feels is some of the best displays?
Also, we are eating at WCC at 5:25p and would probably go that night (I know not the same resort but probably closest we'll be...staying at POP). Do you think an 8p reservation would alot enough time? Thanks everyone!

We did this last year, probably my favorite 'extra' thing we've ever done!!! I do believe they have a route they follow but can't honestly say for sure. We saw a LOT of decorated sites in our 30 min ride. I think 8pm would work well.

We did this last year as well, and loved it. Our driver had a little basket of peppermint candy canes she gave out to us. She also had an ipod or something playing Christmas music, and two nice warm blankets to put on our laps (even tho it was too hot for them-lol). We saw some amazing Christmas displays! The CM told us that many of them come for the whole month, some longer. We saw many campers out and about, waving to us, and wishing us "Merry Christmas". It was great, and something I think we'd like to do again on any repeat Christmas trips.

We also did the Halloween one! That one was even funner. My boys were scared, but loved it. I've read somewhere recently that they aren't offering the Halloween carriage ride this year. Not sure if that's true, or if the same will be done for the Christmas one.

Does anyone know when they open booking for this? I'm thinking of surprising my husband and 3 teens with this.

~NM

ive heard they arent gonna do it this yr....something about stables being closed for construction there...go figure..

cwt580 said:
ive heard they arent gonna do it this yr....something about stables being closed for construction there...go figure..

They are doing them this year. Someone posted a couple of days ago that they were now open for booking. The Halloween ones were the ones cancelled this year.

Thanks everyone I just booked last night for 8 pm so yes they are available. I think 8 should give us time from our 5:35 WCC meal. I figure if we leave by 7 that should give us enough time to check in for 7:45. What do you think?

I called this summer for info on the holiday carriage rides through Fort Wilderness for our trip, Nov. 23 - Nov. 28 (Thanksgiving weekend). It took three calls before a CM found info and told me that there are NO carriage rides through FW for the month of Nov. I was kinda surprised by that - I understand the Halloween ride would be over and understand that they start the holiday-decorated carriage ride in December but does anyone have information about just regular carriage rides for November? If they are not offered, are guest of other WDW resorts (not FW) allowed to rent golf carts to tour the campsites and see them decorated? I have to believe many people will have started decorating on Thanskgiving weekend!!! We know about the wagon ride but I heard that a. it doesn't tour as much of the campsites as the carriage ride and b. it is loaded on a first-come, first-served basis and with 8 of us we don't want to take a chance we can't all get on. Any info on the options for seeing the campsites decorated on Thanksgiving weekend (November 23-27) would be greatly appreciated!!!

I did the ride in Dec 2010, not impressed with the driver to say the least, I thought there would be some communication with us but I was wrong. She said about 3 sentences the whole trip. I was hoping to have some info about Ft Wilderness, about the displays etc but the trip was in total silence. No christmas music as others have written about, short answers when we asked questions etc. I was with 2 other adults, its not like it was a couples thing and we wanted a quiet, romantic ride. We saw the interactions between other drivers and guests which was far superior to our experience. It was our first time to take the sleigh ride and I can't really say that I would want to do it again, once was enough, there are many other things that I would want to experience first before I would repeat this, great once just to see the lights and displays, the campers there really outdo themselves and that was the main reason we chose to do the sleigh ride.

I called this summer for info on the holiday carriage rides through Fort Wilderness for our trip, Nov. 23 - Nov. 28 (Thanksgiving weekend). It took three calls before a CM found info and told me that there are NO carriage rides through FW for the month of Nov. I was kinda surprised by that - I understand the Halloween ride would be over and understand that they start the holiday-decorated carriage ride in December but does anyone have information about just regular carriage rides for November? If they are not offered, are guest of other WDW resorts (not FW) allowed to rent golf carts to tour the campsites and see them decorated? I have to believe many people will have started decorating on Thanskgiving weekend!!! We know about the wagon ride but I heard that a. it doesn't tour as much of the campsites as the carriage ride and b. it is loaded on a first-come, first-served basis and with 8 of us we don't want to take a chance we can't all get on. Any info on the options for seeing the campsites decorated on Thanksgiving weekend (November 23-27) would be greatly appreciated!!!
The sleigh rides start November 30 and you need reservations to guarantee a spot, they run every 30 minutes from 5 til 10. Sorry you'll miss it. Not sure what they have before then.

carstinsmom said:
The sleigh rides start November 30 and you need reservations to guarantee a spot, they run every 30 minutes from 5 til 10. Sorry you'll miss it. Not sure what they have before then.

Great to know... Does anyone know when they run until? Thanks!

Do not see any info on the disney site... Maybe I am blind... Do we just call and are these tours around just the campsite or all over Disney grounds? Sorry for sounding redundant here.

The special horse drawn holiday sleigh ride is $60. Book by calling 407 WDW-PLAY

Thank you. Sorry to hijack your thread op! I also saw there is a regular wagon ride there as well? Does that one take the same route to see the sites decorated? How early should we arrive? Is it usually packed?

I am not sure about their route. You can probably find a lot more info on the Camping in the World forum on these boards.

Debbart said:
The special horse drawn holiday sleigh ride is $60. Book by calling 407 WDW-PLAY

Wowsa... That's steep if it's per person! For our family if 5, $300. We could rent a golf cart and drive around ourselves for the price of one person and leave a lot leftover for a lot of hot chocolate lol. We'd love to do this but I didn't realize it was that pricey. :)

minniebeth said:
Wowsa... That's steep if it's per person! For our family if 5, $300. We could rent a golf cart and drive around ourselves for the price of one person and leave a lot leftover for a lot of hot chocolate lol. We'd love to do this but I didn't realize it was that pricey. :)

It's not per person, $60 per sleigh :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter