FW in March + some beach camping.. suggestions?

pmountain

Earning My Ears
Hi
We are thinking of heading to Florida for 2 weeks before Easter. Would like some time at FW and some time at the Beach. Last year we went to Sugarloaf KOA and liked it very much but it is far and expensive. Any other suggestions? I assume it would have to be S Florida to be reliable beach weather, but we like a place with a nice pool, restaurant etc.
Any advice much appreciated. FW is still our all time favourite!
Pete.
p.s. the snow is coming down heavy here, probably a snow day for the kids tomorrow! Dreaming of a tropical beach!

Well, a few issues come into play here:

1. Campgrounds in Florida are filled with overwintering "snowbirds" during the time you are interested in thus driving up prices at all parks. With a little luck they have started moving north by the time you want to camp.

2. The hurricane season this year has forced many people who had homes destroyed into RV's for primary living. This is mainly on the west coast (i.e. Tampa Bay area). Again, this reduces availability & drives up costs.

3. Other than the keys, very few places offer "beach-front" camping.

Now with all that said you may be able to find a campground in Dade or Broward counties (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale) where you could find affordable camping and still be able to drive to the beach.

I might suggest Broward County Parks. They have fairly nice campgrounds and may have space available. Plus, several parks have full water parks. Usually during the winter the water parks are only open on the weekend. I would stay away from TY Park, not because it is not nice but just because of it's proximity to I-95.

Markham Park is way out west in the county, right next to the everglades. It is a short drive from the park to air-boat rides and a few other attractions.

C.B. Smith Park is an oasis in a fully developed area of western Broward. Lots of shopping and food are right outside the park.

I would stick with a state or county park if you are going to try to keep costs in check.

Siesta Key near Sarasota has one campground on the beach. It does, however, have "regulars" who keep the place booked. We tried to get in last Spring but did not have any luck. You could try that early in '05 to see if they have anything open. We are going to probably try again this year too.

Now, we did stay in Venice, FL at an Encore campground (not on beach but beaches are close) and there is a state park in that area too. We may try the state park this time if we can't get anything else. Encore was o.k. but very difficult to get the camper in everything was so cramped! I know there is something in Port Charlotte too but with all the hurricane damage who knows what will be available. I suggest that you use a search engine to find "florida campgrounds".

The draw-back to the state park is no sewer hook up so we would definately have to use the shower facilities.

What ever you decide to do you need to get a ressie asap because things will fill up!

Our favorite beach camping is in Fort Desoto - right by St. Pete Beach. They have wonderful campsites - private and right on the beach! They have tent sites and motorhome sites. They also have a pet loop, if that's an issue. Here's a link to their site. They take online reservations now too! Fort Desoto Park

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done searches but there is so many, and their web sites usually don't give a very accurate picture. Thanks for narrowing down the search. Any other places I should check out.
Thanks again.
Pete.

It'll be tough to get March this late in the game...popular month, especially beach campgrounds. I would second the suggestion for Ft. De Soto, we just got back from there and there is plenty to do there, you have to ride your bike or drive to the beach, but in March you'd be better off with protection from the wind. Ft. De Soto does not reserve more than 6 months in advance, so you might still find a site there, careful though, they don't refund your money if you cancel. St. Augustine is another nice beach campsite, we've been there in March plenty of times and it's nice. No pool at either one I just mentioned. North Beach Camp Resort does have a pool and is across the street from the beach. Personally I wouldn't worry about a pool in March anyway.
As far as the hurricane closures, call and find out for yourself the situation. Many parks are reopened and glad to have your business.

Good luck and if you find a site...you better grab it quick.

Thanks for the good suggestions.. I knew you folks would know where to go. Fort DeSoto looked really nice and has on line booking so I took your advice and booked it QUICK! We will be at Fort DeSoto (waterfront) in area 1 for 3 nights then on to a waterfront site at Sugarloaf KOA for 1 week, then up to FW for 2 nights, then head for home the morning after Good Friday.
We have been to Beverly Beach. It really is ON the beach but not really good for little kids swimming, but I would still go back.. maybe another time.
Can't wait for March to come. It's snowing here again.
Thanks again.
Pete.

THERES a state campground VERY near the Vero DIsney Resort at Sebastain Inlet. While its not on the ocean, its right next to it on state road A1A. Theres fishing gettys and beach. VERY famous FLorida spot.
Many of the campsites are river front.
I live in this area. Not sure how effected it was from the Hurricane. I'm sure if you're interested you could find it on the internet. I know its very reasonable, Reservations are a must!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter