• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future World and Updating Opinions

jheigl

Spaceship Earth Junky
After reading the thread on Ellen's Energy Adventure and Phineas and Ferb rumor, I got to thinking. I think Future World at Epcot is not really about the future anymore... like it used to be. Then I was thinking that I wouldn't oppose Disney shifting some funds from refurbs of other rides and using that $$$ for updating Future World to make it more futuristic. However, I am a huge Disney conservative, so I don't want all new rides. I would like to see the old rides updated, like Ellen's Energy Adventure and others. I just feel that if Disney wants to keep the Future World name at Epcot, it has to be a bit futuristic. Thoughts?

I had never really thought of it to much however I do believe you are right. Either change the name or give up a complete overhaul. When I think outdated I think of Tomorrowland at MK and forget all about EPCOT and FW however in my opinion you are right with your comments.

Here is what thet shoul;d do IMO.

SSE: Simply finish it

Test Track: Doesn't fit in TL, rethem it to be about GM testing futuristic cars.

JII: COmplete over haul using the trackless ride system from Poohs Honey Hut in TDL.

Soarin: New film

UOE: Great ride system in place, the DInos scene is fine. Just briong the rest of the ride into the future. SOlar and Wind energies scream 1970's and aren't realistic anyway. Talk about fuel cells and other futeristic themes.

WOL: Either connect it to MS for one large space pavilion or move COP there and have a progress themed pavilion.

The future world concept is not really a good one in general since it will always outdate very quickly...if anything I think the area should be rethemed with more of a learning type area...the area as a whole has a very large science center feel.

Soarin so does need a new film....like soarin over florida...since that one is CA.

the Honey I srunk the audience should never come back and something new should go there

I love the changes to spaceship earth..

I think innovations in general sucks...use to be way better

I've said elsewhere that I'd revamp Epcot FW to be three different sections, themed after Natural Sciences (The Land, The Seas, etc.); Technology (Test Trace, Spaceship Earth, etc.); and Imagination (Journey Into Imagination, much of Innoventions, etc.).

I've said elsewhere that I'd revamp Epcot FW to be three different sections, themed after Natural Sciences (The Land, The Seas, etc.); Technology (Test Trace, Spaceship Earth, etc.); and Imagination (Journey Into Imagination, much of Innoventions, etc.).

I would so go for that! It defiantly already fits better than FW.

I think JII needs to be completely redone, with Crayola as a sponsor. Actually, I'd be so happy if they just went back to the first version of it. Just *something* that makes it enchanting again- when I was a kid, JII and the playground was basically the best part of my trips to Disney (this is back when Figment was HUGE).

Universe of Energy needs to be updated. The dinosaur bit is sort of "classic Epcot" for me but the film and pre-show need to be updated, and I don't think it would cost very much to do it.

As far as The Seas, I'd very much like a Jellyfish exhibit, and not just one tank with a few jellyfish. Jellyfish are a huge draw to aquariums and very beautiful and compelling, no matter how many times you see them. I think they could do a bit more with the aquarium- bring in different things, rotate exhibits, etc.

I'd like something a little more exciting on the return trip down from Spaceship Earth, although we always get a kick out of the little cartoon, especially my four-year-old.

Mission: Space- adjust the height limit for the gentle side since it's basically like Star Tours and smaller kids should be able to ride.

I love Test Track as it is. Not futuristic, but so much fun. At least for me.

And the Land... as much as I love Soarin', I wouldn't mind a Florida version. But I'd rather Disney invest the $$ in updating JII or UoE, or even restoring the Body pavilion. There's so much *potential* for Epcot to be amazing. It's my favorite park as it is, but it would be amazing if Disney just put in some TLC in some areas, and I don't think doing so would break their bank.

Disney needs to realize it's not necessary to completely tear things down and re-do everything to "re-invent" an attraction. They seem to have this weird thing about not aggressively renovating rides, but just tearing them down and replacing them. There IS a middle ground, I think.

Disney needs to realize it's not necessary to completely tear things down and re-do everything to "re-invent" an attraction. They seem to have this weird thing about not aggressively renovating rides, but just tearing them down and replacing them. There IS a middle ground, I think.

Follow the money. When they get new sponsors or when a sponsor expects an overhaul, Disney does it:

GM- World of Motion to Test Track
Compaq/HP - Horizons turned into Mission:Space
Kodak - Overhaul of Jounrey into Imagination to subsequent versions

Then you consider what Disney did when they lost sponsorship:

Horizons- Ran for years without good maintenance or upgrades
Universe of Energy - Running for years without upgrades
The Living Seas- Turned into a big Pixar attraction
Wonders of Life- Permenantly closed and the building turned into convention/festival space

About the only attraction recently that got new sponsorship but not an entire overhaul was Spaceship Earth and that still was a lot of changes.

Follow the money. When they get new sponsors or when a sponsor expects an overhaul, Disney does it:

True. Absolutely. But instead of spending money on new resorts, Disney should throw some money to their parks on things that are already there, and not just sit and wait for a sponsor to materialize or redevelop things based on the newest hot property.

I wish there were some sort of "Disney Heritage Committee" who made sure that the beloved favorites were kept in decent shape, renovated when necessary, and NOT bulldozed in favor of the flavor-of-the-moment. Maybe they could even fundraise a bit (from corporations, the wealthy) for those projects. If i were super wealthy, I may not want to sponsor a whole attraction, but there might be something at the parks I had a personal interest and wouldn't mind donating some capital towards. You'd think they would have something like that, because a lot of people feel like some attractions are basically American landmarks, at least within the Disney parks. I know Disney is a business, but a lot of people feel very personally attached to parts of the parks.

True. Absolutely. But instead of spending money on new resorts, Disney should throw some money to their parks on things that are already there, and not just sit and wait for a sponsor to materialize or redevelop things based on the newest hot property.

I wish there were some sort of "Disney Heritage Committee" who made sure that the beloved favorites were kept in decent shape, renovated when necessary, and NOT bulldozed in favor of the flavor-of-the-moment. Maybe they could even fundraise a bit (from corporations, the wealthy) for those projects. If i were super wealthy, I may not want to sponsor a whole attraction, but there might be something at the parks I had a personal interest and wouldn't mind donating some capital towards. You'd think they would have something like that, because a lot of people feel like some attractions are basically American landmarks, at least within the Disney parks. I know Disney is a business, but a lot of people feel very personally attached to parts of the parks.

Disney only pays lip service to heritage, they only care about the bottom line.

I know I strarted this thread, but I still want to say that this is a very fine line with me. I am a HUGE fan of Disney past (my time was roughly the mid 90s when I went as a kid). That is how I would love for Disney to stay (and return to). I'm sure we all feel that way with different years and decades as well. However, Future World does need updating. I would like it to return to it's roots, but with modern technology. For instance, I think the name Communicore sounds so much cooler than Innoventions. While I like the Nemo ride, I think they should return that to it's original glory (at least my version of original). Same with Living with the Land...put a CM back on it to talk! Not a recording!

....I don't know...I guess I would like some things back to the way they used to be...Disney is way overtheming everything to their movies....sometimes it's nice to not have EVERY Disney character shoved down your throat....and this is coming from a HUGE Disney fan....sometimes themed attractions without being themed to Disney movies is NOT a bad thing....

The Clamobiles at the Seas pavilion do not belong to the futuristic concept of EPCOT Center at all. They should be replaced by new ride vehicles replicating mini-subs. This will give the pavilion back its former glory and a small-scale version of DL's Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at the same time.

The Clamobiles at the Seas pavilion do not belong to the futuristic concept of EPCOT Center at all. They should be replaced by new ride vehicles replicating mini-subs. This will give the pavilion back its former glory and a small-scale version of DL's Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at the same time.

That's a good idea. I like that alot. I think it would make more sense as well, since we are "underwater" and in the scenes so to speak, so for humans to be in a mini submarine would make sense. I know I am definitely over thinking it, but that's how I am! Great point! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter