• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future Veterinarian at Animal Kingdom

cajunlace

First Time Visitor to WDW
My DS will be entering high school next year and has been wanting to be a veterinarian since I think the day he was born. His dream is to work with all animals at animal kingdom. Can someone guide him on what should he do to go to DCP. :confused3

Thanks

Honestly, i would tell him not to even worry about DCP. He still has 4 years of high school ahead of him to enjoy. And I'd recommend at least 1 full year of college before even applying for DCP.

And there really isn't any thing 'to do' to get in DCP. You just apply and hope to get through the interviews and get accepted. As for working with animals at AK, if he was studying to be a vet once he gets to college he would probably have to apply for an attractions role and emphasize his love for animals throughout the application process and in his interviews and hope for a role maybe on Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pagani Forest Exploration trail, Rafiki's Planet Watch or Maharajah Jungle Trek

Honestly, i would tell him not to even worry about DCP. He still has 4 years of high school ahead of him to enjoy. And I'd recommend at least 1 full year of college before even applying for DCP.

And there really isn't any thing 'to do' to get in DCP. You just apply and hope to get through the interviews and get accepted. As for working with animals at AK, if he was studying to be a vet once he gets to college he would probably have to apply for an attractions role and emphasize his love for animals throughout the application process and in his interviews and hope for a role maybe on Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pagani Forest Exploration trail, Rafiki's Planet Watch or Maharajah Jungle Trek

Thanks, I thought he needed certain courses to help him to get into the program.

Nope, no certain classes needed. They take anyone as long as they're actually taking classes.

He's got plenty of time before he needs to worry about the DCP. Like the previous poster said, when he does apply, request attractions and let him tell about how he wants to work with animals at AK. But, even then a request is just a request. They can't honor all of them.

As for applying to the DCP, apply early in the season and nail the phone interview, when he does apply..

Wow thanks for the responses, it is a good thing we are starting early because now we are learning more about everything.

Thanks everyone!!!

I agree with the above posters. If he wants to do the College Program, an attractions role specifically mentioning interest in Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pagani Forest Exploration trail, Rafiki's Planet Watch, Maharajah Jungle Trek, Discovery Island Trails, or anywhere in Animal Kingdom in general. But, requests are just that. Location is not guaranteed and he wouldn't find out where he's placed until he arrives.

Animal Science Professional Internships are always an option.

The best advice is to start gaining experience in the field. Having a part time job or solid volunteer experience in the animal fields will help him on his path.

This isn't something Disney, but Busch Gardens has summer camp programs that he would probably be interested in.

Busch Gardens Resident Camps

There's one he could go to this summer (for rising 9th - 12th graders) called Zookeeping 101:
You can’t get any closer to animals than this! Assist zookeepers with their daily routine including preparing diets, animal training and providing veterinary care. Experience first–hand what it takes to care for a variety of exotic animals from giraffes to hippos to lemurs. Plus, enjoy all the thrilling rides and world-class shows at Busch Gardens and cool off at Adventure Island.

Zookeeping 101 is a 5-night long camp which begins at noon Saturday and ends promptly Thursday morning at 9:00 a.m. Busch Gardens Camps are fully chaperoned resident camps that include the following amenities:
Transportation between Busch Gardens and Tampa International Airport (TPA)
All meals and snacks
Two camp t-shirts and a water bottle
Housing at our secure, onsite dormitory, Mzinga Lodge
Students in grades 9-12 may be eligible to receive a semester (.5 units) elective science credit

2014 Dates:
• 6/7-6/12 • 6/21-6/26 • 7/5-7/10 • 7/19-7/24 • 8/2-8/7 • 8/9-14

But the one he'd *REALLY* be interested in he can do the summer between 11th and 12th grades, or the summer after he graduates from 12th grade, Vet Careers:
Vet Careers for 12th Grade dual enrollment/College Students: Aspiring to become a professional in veterinary healthcare? Join our staff and experience veterinary medicine firsthand. Shadow staff on rounds, participate in labs and professional development classes, and even observe procedures. Campers work behind-the-scenes to explore what being on a veterinarian team at a world-class zoo is all about. After hours, enjoy all that Busch Gardens and SeaWorld have to offer.
Vet Careers is a 5-night long camp which begins at noon Saturday and ends promptly Thursday morning at 9:00 a.m. Busch Gardens Camps are fully chaperoned and include the following amenities:
Transportation between Busch Gardens and Tampa International Airport (TPA)
All meals and snacks
Two camp t-shirts and a water bottle
Housing at our secure, onsite dormitory, Mzinga Lodge
Students in grade 12 may be eligible to receive a semester (.5 units) elective science credit
Prerequisites for this camp are Zoo Careers and a high school diploma, or dual enrollment as a 12th grade student in a college program (documentation required) or technical school.
2014 Dates:
• 6/14-6/19 • 7/12-7/17

They're not cheap, this summer they'll be about $1,000, but having done the animal care for a day program that Sea World offers, the summer camp would be an experience he would never forget, and might even make some good contacts to call upon after graduation. I know a few months ago BGT was actually hiring a vet, they were starting at $104k/year and required 5 years experience (2 or 3 of those working with wildlife type animals).

Does he have any idea where he wants to attend college? Also, check with the high school he will be going to and see if they offer AP or dual enrolled classes; if so, have him take as many of them as possible, because he may be able to graduate from high school with an AA degree, which means you won't have to pay for the first two years of college.

Does he have any idea where he wants to attend college? Also, check with the high school he will be going to and see if they offer AP or dual enrolled classes; if so, have him take as many of them as possible, because he may be able to graduate from high school with an AA degree, which means you won't have to pay for the first two years of college.

That is the idea behind this post, he is starting high school and he can start AP classes; he just wants to steer his classes to his goal and not have to take so many not needed classes. And to get information for Disney College however he already learned something new here...about the internship program.

Great thing about it is that he knows exactly want he wants...to work with all the animals in Animal Kingdom.

That is the idea behind this post, he is starting high school and he can start AP classes; he just wants to steer his classes to his goal and not have to take so many not needed classes. And to get information for Disney College however he already learned something new here...about the internship program.

Great thing about it is that he knows exactly want he wants...to work with all the animals in Animal Kingdom.

The best thing would be to check with the guidance counselor at his high school; they'll know what classes he will need to take to transfer the majority of them to the college he wants to go to. For example, here in Florida the guidance counselor would set him up with an appointment with an advisor here at the community college the school works with. That advisor would show him the class list for the general AA degree, which allows him to transfer to any Florida university as a junior, even if the specific classes he took aren't comparable to the classes at the university. If he won't be able to get his AA by graduation, it gets a little trickier to transfer credits, because some colleges won't take credits if they don't have a comparable class in their catalog, so he'd be better off taking as many generic classes (English Comp 1 & 2, College Algebra, Statistics, Calculus, Biology/Chemistry, etc.) as possible. Also, check with the college that he wants to go to (along with 2-3 alternate schools ... he doesn't have to go to the school he will get his vet degree from for all 4 undergrad years), and make sure classes will transfer. He'll need to have amazing grades and good test scores to get into the college of his choice. Vets I've spoken to said it's harder to get into vet school than it is to get into human doctor school.

It's awesome that this is his dream, but make sure he isn't so fixated on this that if he doesn't get a job at AK he will be completely destroyed. Parks like this tend to have hundreds of applications for one position, if and when they open up. He may end up finding a job at a zoo somewhere else, or a rehab center, or a wildlife refuge, and I'd hate for him to have such an awesome job but feel that he is a failure because he didn't get a job at AK.

My oldest niece is much like your son, just a year older; all she's ever wanted to do is be a vet. After seeing the sea lion show at the local marine park, she's now decided she has a backup plan ... sea lion trainer. Yeah, she has no problems with her ambition :D

I did my CP last year at Kilimanjaro Safaris and it was a wonderful experience, and I am currently in the running for a PI with Animal Programs. During the CP, students won't have any direct contact with animals, but it is an excellent opportunity to network and get to know leaders that may be able to help your son get where he wants to be. Not all Animal Programs PIs require you to have done a CP first, but a few do, so he'll definitely want to look into that.

It's great that your son already knows what he wants to do! One thing he can do to help boost his chances of getting an Animal Programs internship is to start volunteering (at a shelter, zoo, vet clinic, etc.) and when he gets to college, take classes relating to what he wants to do, as well as continuing to volunteer or work with animals as much as possible. Hope this helps!

I did my CP last year at Kilimanjaro Safaris and it was a wonderful experience, and I am currently in the running for a PI with Animal Programs. During the CP, students won't have any direct contact with animals, but it is an excellent opportunity to network and get to know leaders that may be able to help your son get where he wants to be. Not all Animal Programs PIs require you to have done a CP first, but a few do, so he'll definitely want to look into that.

It's great that your son already knows what he wants to do! One thing he can do to help boost his chances of getting an Animal Programs internship is to start volunteering (at a shelter, zoo, vet clinic, etc.) and when he gets to college, take classes relating to what he wants to do, as well as continuing to volunteer or work with animals as much as possible. Hope this helps!

My daughter did her CP last year at KSR too! She loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter