• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future mk expansion/attractions... Pirates! Weigh in...

rcdisney61171

Earning My Ears
The new expansion of Fantasyland looks incredible. I do hope it lives up to the concept drawings and plans. I cannot imagine it wont. Given the recent (over the last few years) boom in the Pirates and Princesses campaign, and the continual interest in both themes, it only stands to reason that Tom Sawyer island will eventually get an overhaul. We've seen Jack and Co. invade at Disneyland, albeit a show, and not an elaborate land.
Yet considering the overtly Princess theming of a massive piece of MK landscape, it seems plausible that Disney will strategize this other large area for the "Pirate" crowd, assuming it remains a hit, which I imagine it will.

Ive read a great deal of HPWW talk and how Disney needs to "live up" to it, stating that US has outdone them. Not only do I feel FL EXP will far surpass HPWW in theming, restaurant offerings, shows, experiences... but I can see how the Pirates franchise, although not as lucrative nor as good as HP by any means, might well be the future course in terms of being able to do something VERY elaborate and special.

Tom Sawyer island, although nostalgic to some degree, and a nice escape, has a great deal of potential for doing something incredible.

Imagine if you will, much like HPWW does, recreating Tortuga, the British forts, Singapore or some of the Pirates sets, how about replicas of the Black Pearl/Flying Dutchman... a massive ship to ship stunt show, imagine how incredible it might be to see other characters like Davy Jones and his crew, Barbosa... British troops etc... strolling along or dine while watching a Pirate themed show...
I do understand Dis had plans to renovate and create a Pirate themed Restaurant (San Angel Inn) which is wonderful as well.

The only real challenge however, is the "break" in theming, from where Pirates exists to where Tom Sawyer Island is located... it would not be a cohesive layout.

Yet, regardless, taking into account that the Princesses are being heavily upgraded, and is the Disney franchise (targeted for girls) it only stands to reason that the Pirates franchise (targeted for boys) will eventually get the nod. It would be a great strategy for franchise expansion.

What do you think?

IMO POCT on TSI would be a terrible choice. How do pirates from the Carribean fit in the American Fontier.

in essence a re theming of that entire area.

but yes I totally agree, the location presents an issue in terms of cohesive theming... which Dis. rarely breaks...

Although as stated prior, the observation is correct. Yet, they moved Pirates (show) into TS at Disneyland... so you can imagine that they have flirted with the idea of updating the area to go along with their popular franchises.

I do agree, the area is smack dab in the midst of Frontierland... which does create a big problem.
The original thread is more idle chatter, and posing the idea that, all along, the last few years have been Pirate/Princess, and seeing that Fantasyland concentrates mostly on the Princess franchise, that in turn, you might think that the strategy will then go toward the popular franchise for boys.

POTC the films have obviously taken the drivers seat in fueling future Pirate expansions... the entity is contingent on those films, and will eventually fade, especially if 4 is terrible. The Princesses are more a brand, so they arent going anywhere.

More than likely as well, Dis will not reach into their pockets for more MK expansion, but concentrate elsewhere.

Yet it is fun to imagine, if Dis does the "next" elaborate" thing, that Pirates is THEIR big franchise over say Star Wars and Indiana Jones... all of which could be an amazing "world" to visit much like HPWW at IOA...

It doesn't make sense in DL either; I don’t think it is a good idea and hope this never happens. I would rather see TSI rethemed to be WDW version of New Orleans Square. The island is large and could feature a Princess & the Frog dark ride and or restaurant.

Although as stated prior, the observation is correct. Yet, they moved Pirates (show) into TS at Disneyland... so you can imagine that they have flirted with the idea of updating the area to go along with their popular franchises.
The only reason it kinda works is because POTC is right across the river from TSI in DL.

And I still don't see the value of the new Fantasyland expansion, unless you are a girl under the age of 11. A bunch of meet and greet areas, one ride and a sit down restauraunt. YAWN. I could spend that amount of money with a better ROI. Marketing is really going to have to spin that one to generate larger crowds.

IMHO, Adding a POTC themed area would be worth even less. I also don't get the beauty salons (BBB and Pirate Extreme Makeover). If I'm with a family and kids in an amusement park, the last thing I want to waste time on is something stupid like that. But obviously Disney knows better since I do see girls and boys all decked out from their experience.

Wow... Great idea! The Bayou area can certainly be themed without much changing the lakefront... toward the back... and that makes a TON of sense to do. Yet, we are talking even more princesses than what we are already getting.

No complaints here though... I love Princess and the Frog, a rededication to true Disney animation headed up by John Lassiter, the second coming of Mr. Disney himself!

In terms of any new attraction, it can't please EVERYONE. Sure it may not appeal to single men or boys, yet there will be plenty of "boy theming" in terms of secondary male figure characters... ex. Gaston's tavern... the Beast... etc.

It will certainly appeal to families and fathers of little girls like myself, who will revel in watching their eyes light up!

Absolutely it IS worth it... if it is as elaborate as planned... looking over the slated experiences might showcase new technology...
the old Ariel's Grotto formerly 20,000 LUS has been begging for an overhaul for far too long now... plus the new Dumbo, although it doesnt drive me wild to go on, seems like an innovative way of expanding upon a strangely popular ride, and long line experience...

The idea behind POTC expansion is to balance it back , as there will be plenty of public sentiment stating MK has tilted to little girls with the new FL.

Just seems a natural thing Dis would do considering their Brands..., although I dont think its a very good markting ploy... to aspire young boys to become the literal scourge criminals that Pirates were in the 18th century... I also dont wholly agree with having my daughter to aspire to be a princess whose life centers around finding her Prince!

In terms of any new attraction, it can't please EVERYONE. Sure it may not appeal to single men or boys, yet there will be plenty of "boy theming" in terms of secondary male figure characters... ex. Gaston's tavern... the Beast... etc.

It will certainly appeal to families and fathers of little girls like myself, who will revel in watching their eyes light up!

Absolutely it IS worth it... if it is as elaborate as planned... looking over the slated experiences might showcase new technology...
the old Ariel's Grotto formerly 20,000 LUS has been begging for an overhaul for far too long now... plus the new Dumbo, although it doesnt drive me wild to go on, seems like an innovative way of expanding upon a strangely popular ride, and long line experience...

The idea behind POTC expansion is to balance it back , as there will be plenty of public sentiment stating MK has tilted to little girls with the new FL.

Just seems a natural thing Dis would do considering their Brands..., although I dont think its a very good markting ploy... to aspire young boys to become the literal scourge criminals that Pirates were in the 18th century... I also dont wholly agree with having my daughter to aspire to be a princess whose life centers around finding her Prince!

There is a ton of room in AL for expansion. Put any new POTC stuff there where it makes sense.

Here are three options that make sense imo.

1. Retheme TSI to New Orleans/Princess & The Frog

2. Retheme TSI to pocahontas, they have always wanted a bigger Native American influence in FRontierland.

3. Leave TSI the way it is.

They will not cross themes. TSI is part of Frontierland and they will not plop a piece of Adventureland down into the middle of it. At best the Pocahontas or Princess & the Frog would be a replacement, but not pirates, not in Disney World.

Adventureland will get a renovation at some point and they will likely make more use of the pirate love then - in Adventureland - but it won't bleed over into Frontierland or Liberty Square.

They will not cross themes. TSI is part of Frontierland and they will not plop a piece of Adventureland down into the middle of it. At best the Pocahontas or Princess & the Frog would be a replacement, but not pirates, not in Disney World.

Adventureland will get a renovation at some point and they will likely make more use of the pirate love then - in Adventureland - but it won't bleed over into Frontierland or Liberty Square.

It was very much considered and they did put POTC on TSI in DL, So there was a spillover of theming.

It was very much considered and they did put POTC on TSI in DL, So there was a spillover of theming.

That's in DL, not WDW. Two different "worlds". They do all sorts of things with DL they would never consider in WDW. Different park, different visitor demographic (locals vs. true tourists, etc.).

That's in DL, not WDW. Two different "worlds". They do all sorts of things with DL they would never consider in WDW. Different park, different visitor demographic (locals vs. true tourists, etc.).

The pirates on TSI is a bad fit no matter where it is.

The pirates on TSI is a bad fit no matter where it is.

Why so? Pirates in history have some relation to the Frontier. Further in DL POTC faces ROA and the island.

Have you been there to see it? What is so wrong with it?

Why so? Pirates in history have some relation to the Frontier. Further in DL POTC faces ROA and the island.

Have you been there to see it? What is so wrong with it?

I was in DL in may it is not a good fit in WDW. You can argue it works in DL because of how close it is to NO square but Pirates from the carribean in no way fit in the American Frontier. Just because they are historic doesn't work.

I LOVE it. I hope it gets done. I love the old PotC ride and want that to stay, but I would love to see much more devoted to Pirates as its my favorite franchise. I love Captain Jack, I love the movies, and I would LOVE more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter