Furniture from Big Lots?

We have a sectional couch with storage ottoman that we got about 2 years ago. I priced sectionals all over at the "going out of business" type furniture stores and they were thousands. DH suggested Big Lots and I thought - gross...but we went and they were nice and only $700. It has held up very well. I have 4 kids at home so didn't want to spend a ton, but surprisingly it still looks like new.

I had to bring it home in our minivan, I think it took 3 trips LOL.

We bought a kitchen table and chairs there a couple of years ago...they have been great and we get complimented on them all the time

I have bought a microfiber couch there and it has held up well. It did not come in a box, but overwrapped completely in thick plastic. I also bought a sleigh bed,and I believe it did come in boxes. I have had it around 6 years and it's still going strong. I wish I had bought the mattress there as well. I paid way too much at a big name store and then saw the same mattress for 40% less at Big Lots. Ours didn't offer delivery service themselves, but had cards of people they recommended.

Marsha

We also purchased a sleigh bed from Big Lots came in a box but it was beautiful. Had to replace our bed of 26yrs.

Also Marsha, I noticed you have 1 dog and 4 cats. :scared1:

LOL, now my husband can't mock me I only have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Funny they are no more difficult to take care of then 1 of each. He always holds his breath every time I walk into the local SPCA in our Galleria Mall. :sad2:

We also purchased a sleigh bed from Big Lots came in a box but it was beautiful. Had to replace our bed of 26yrs.

Also Marsha, I noticed you have 1 dog and 4 cats. :scared1:

LOL, now my husband can't mock me I only have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Funny they are no more difficult to take care of then 1 of each. He always holds his breath every time I walk into the local SPCA in our Galleria Mall. :sad2:

Yeah, I often say I don't know how I ended up with 4 cats, LOL. Our old one died, we decided to adopt a new one(not to replace her, but to help our other two not be so sad) and we somehow ended up getting talked into a pair. Then I found out I am allergic to cats, but I just suffer through. 4 is definitely more trouble than 2, BTW. The two newest are pigs and can't seem to "aim" in the litter box:headache:

really? it is all in sealed boxes? even couches?
if that is the case I may rethink it.

I'm the OP. DH and I went back to the store Friday night, after going to another local furniture store one more time. The couches at Big Lots were $200 less and we liked them just as well. Plus, we took them home that night!

They were very well protected. The bottom half was wrapped in a felt-like material, and the whole thing was enclosed in heavy plastic. We took them home one at a time (2 trips, but we live about 5 min. from the store). They were in perfect condition!

The funny thing is that one of my gripes about Big Lots is that they are always understaffed and no one can help me find what I'm looking for. But usually I'm there in the middle of the day. We went at 7 p.m. Friday, and the place was packed with customers and tons of employees everywhere! It took a few minutes to get an employee to help us, but then a very nice woman brought out the first couch and helped load it in our truck. Then she had the second one waiting for us when we got back to the store and helped again. Overall a surprisingly good experience! :thumbsup2

We need rugs last April, we bought them at Big Lots and now I see that color and Patterns advertised eveywhere!!!

We bought furniture for our son's college apartment. He still has it 8 years later and his house was party central, so the quality must be very good.

I'm the OP. DH and I went back to the store Friday night, after going to another local furniture store one more time. The couches at Big Lots were $200 less and we liked them just as well. Plus, we took them home that night!

They were very well protected. The bottom half was wrapped in a felt-like material, and the whole thing was enclosed in heavy plastic. We took them home one at a time (2 trips, but we live about 5 min. from the store). They were in perfect condition!

The funny thing is that one of my gripes about Big Lots is that they are always understaffed and no one can help me find what I'm looking for. But usually I'm there in the middle of the day. We went at 7 p.m. Friday, and the place was packed with customers and tons of employees everywhere! It took a few minutes to get an employee to help us, but then a very nice woman brought out the first couch and helped load it in our truck. Then she had the second one waiting for us when we got back to the store and helped again. Overall a surprisingly good experience! :thumbsup2

After I read your initial post I stopped in to my local Big Lots ...
I like the Simmons Champion Tan set.. I liked others too..

Which set did you get if you don't mind my asking? Are you loving it?

Now to decide if I can wait for a 20% deal and hope they still have something I like!

Thanks!

After I read your initial post I stopped in to my local Big Lots ...
I like the Simmons Champion Tan set.. I liked others too..

Which set did you get if you don't mind my asking? Are you loving it?

Now to decide if I can wait for a 20% deal and hope they still have something I like!

Thanks!

The Simmons Champion Tan is what we got. So far so good! I like that it's a lot firmer than our old set (will be MUCH easier for my mom to get up :rotfl:), but still super comfy.

We got two full-size sofas, $350 each. We considered getting one sofa and two recliners. The chairs were so comfortable! But I was picturing the kids banging them in to the wall every time the flopped down, and with our room setup, they really need to be against the wall. We may go back for those if DH ever finished the basement though!

I really like the set... I thought it was really comfortable too! You can't beat the price.. unless you had a 20% off coupon. I will probably go back for a couch and a love seat this weekend. I would love to get the recliner too, but the way the room is set up, it doesn't make much sense.
Thanks for the reply.. enjoy your set!

The recliner that matches the Champion Tan set mentioned here is supposed to be a black Friday deal at Big Lots. http://www.dealigg.com/Black-Friday-Ads/Big-Lots

They also have a Saturday deal in that ad on Simmons Luna sofa and loveseat for $250 each.

Not the type of furniture I'm looking for, but it looks like a great deal if you like it.

The recliner that matches the Champion Tan set mentioned here is supposed to be a black Friday deal at Big Lots. http://www.dealigg.com/Black-Friday-Ads/Big-Lots

They also have a Saturday deal in that ad on Simmons Luna sofa and loveseat for $250 each.

Not the type of furniture I'm looking for, but it looks like a great deal if you like it.

I was just popping in to post this...
The recliner is $189, but only on Thursday :eek: Yes... they are open at 7am on Thanksgiving day!

We buy lots of things from Big Lots so when we were in the market for new living room furniture we didn't hesitate. We bought the Simmons Champion couch and loveseat and have had it exactly 2 weeks. The cushions have flattened out so badly that I bought bed pillows to try and stuff them. The cushions do not come off the couch so stuffing them was a real chore!! I have 30 days to return the set, but I had to pay someone to deliver it for me and I'd have to pay to have it taken back to the store, then shop for new furniture.... I really do like the set - the color and fabric are exactly what I wanted, but the cushions should not flatten out after just 2 weeks, everyone in my house works all day so it's not like we live on the furniture!!:headache:

We took possession of our new house 2 weeks before moving out of our old one. I bought a slightly damaged (small cut on one arm) loveseat from Big Lots for $150 for the new place just to have something to sit on while there.

When we were officially moved it we didn't need it anymore. It was a beautiful microfiber Ashley love seat in great condition with the exception of that little tear. After having it for a month I sold it on Craigslist for ... get this... $150! :goodvibes

And it was worth it! :thumbsup2 My biggest complaint was the stuffing was too high!

618001919.jpg

Has anyone ever bought furniture from Big Lots? They have name brands (Ashley and Simmons), but I'm wondering if the quality is the same as a Simmons sofa from a "real" furniture store. Or is it a cheaper piece of junk that will fall apart in a year? I'm not a brand-name snob by any means, but I'm having a hard time thinking about buying furniture at Big Lots. Ours is not a nice store... kind of dirty and run-down. I don't think I'd admit to friends where I got it. :rotfl:
i would say do not buy. We were broke after the wedding so we furnished the house with stuff from big
Lots, two years later and the sofa has completely caved in on one seat. I am not a large person either. Our bed frame and table have held up fine though. However I will never buy sofas or chairs from them again. It broke around the one year mark. If you put three pillows in the cave in it works though haha

The guy at our local furniture store told us Ashley wasn't good, he said it's the kind of furniture you get and hope it will outlast the wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter